Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trigger the codex with a statement.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
If your grandma thought Fallout 3 was a proper CRPG then alzheimers wasn't her biggest problem.

Then go back home and learn how to spell 'alzheimers'.

If i need to go back home to correct my mistake of a instead of e in a single word, what about you, you need to go back to your mom's belly and get born again, hopefully a normal human this time.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Cool story bro, but can you name one survival game with less RPG than modern Bugthesda games?

-----------

I an not Eastern European, but Central/Eastern Europeans has a good taste for RPG's. Comparing two relative successful RPG's. i an surprized to see how Ni No Kuni is popular on Mexico. Din't expected that. On Mexico, according to google trends, for each search of Kingmaker, Ni No Kuni has 10 searches. On Czechia and Ukraine, Kingmaker only about 5 times more searched.

xx8cy71.png

The death of the CRPG in the early 2000s was completely avoidable and only happened because of the stupidity of either the western developers, publishers, or both. Somehow after Final Fantasy 7 comes out and sold twice as many copies in one weekend as most CRPGs were selling in a year, nobody really seemed to ask themselves: Maybe we should see if this thing we're doing over here will sell over their? In the end the only CRPG developers that ended up surviving were the ones that released console versions of their games; (BioWare with KotOR, and Bethesda with Morrowind) with Black Isle, Origin, New World Computing, Sir-Tech, and Troika all basically going under sometime around 2003. The Sir-Tech one might be the weirdest of these, as Wizardry seems to be bigger in Japan and on consoles then it was here on PC.

The same is more or less true of Adventure Games too. Somehow in an era when Adventure games were selling the most on consoles because of Resident Evil (which is just an adventure game with tank controls) neither Sierra or LucasArts got the bright idea to make some adventure game specifically for consoles with fixed cameras like Resident Evil and Silent Hill would do. Weirdly LucasArts would make a adventure game that could easily be played with a controller in 1998, only to not release it on consoles.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Cool story bro, but can you name one survival game with less RPG than modern Bugthesda games?

-----------

I an not Eastern European, but Central/Eastern Europeans has a good taste for RPG's. Comparing two relative successful RPG's. i an surprized to see how Ni No Kuni is popular on Mexico. Din't expected that. On Mexico, according to google trends, for each search of Kingmaker, Ni No Kuni has 10 searches. On Czechia and Ukraine, Kingmaker only about 5 times more searched.

xx8cy71.png

Weebs are overwhelmingly strong everywhere but in Eastern Europe.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Only to trigger Lilura : BG2 > BG1. Why? Because can use the high magical version of a tactical nuke. Called sequencer + 3 skull traps. 60d6 damage or 60~360 damage in a game where even Dragons rarely has more than 200 hp. You just need to reduce the spell resistance of some creatures before magically nuking then.

my screenshots said:

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
That's why my blog is read by thousands of people every day. :smug:

Seems to me the dementia runs in your family.

Yeah yeah enough with the fake news. No one is reading your blog. As for dementia, yeah, you would get dementia as well if you reached that old age, but you are more likely to die from heart disease or a stroke much sooner than you reach dementia, being a fat nerd playing 90s games on their pc old day. LOL.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Only to trigger Lilura : BG2 > BG1. Why? Because can use the high magical version of a tactical nuke. Called sequencer + 3 skull traps. 60d6 damage or 60~360 damage in a game where even Dragons rarely has more than 200 hp. You just need to reduce the spell resistance of some creatures before magically nuking then.

mmm... I'm well aware of the virtues of sequenced Skull Traps. I must have several screencaps on my blog showing sequenced Skull Traps. Here is one screencap from my blog showing sequenced Skull Traps:

01.jpg

I suppose that, if there is anything slightly triggering to me about your post (aside from your poor English proficiency, which doesn't seem to concern you, but should), it would be that you have posted screencaps from the "Enhanced" Edition, which is not authoritative.

Thank you for thinking of me, though. It's appreciated. Please, call again.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
(aside from your poor English proficiency, which doesn't seem to concern you, but should), it would be that you have posted screencaps from the "Enhanced" Edition, which is not authoritative.

Well, I an trying to improve my English. English is not my native language and I was never good with grammar, even on my native language. However, I an using the Enhanced Edition because I don't own the original game, like to play on Linux without needing and like to test mods. Most mods who adds new kits or makes BG harder only works for EE.

NWN, i Own the Gold version and EE.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
"Savescumming wasn't the main argument", huh? It seems to be a pretty big deal after all, since you keep bringing it up. I don't see savescumming as a problem, nor do I think a game designer has an obligation to prevent players from savescumming, so the "VDweller's sacred vision" is irrelevant from where I am standing.
Thinking more about it, the very idea of skillrolls in AoD is kinda retarded in its own way. Like, you want to study some old tablet. You click on it - roll - lore failure. You click again, and again, until roll is in your favour, thus making investing in skills marginal.

And once again, explaining like for three years old: Savescumming - not bad. Savescumming - can break any game system. Dysco doesn't have too much to break. AoD has.

Harthwain

Magister
Thinking more about it, the very idea of skillrolls in AoD is kinda retarded in its own way. Like, you want to study some old tablet. You click on it - roll - lore failure. You click again, and again, until roll is in your favour, thus making investing in skills marginal.
Now you started to think?

Me a few posts ago said:
If you really want to criticize the system, then you should talk about a situation in which the player happens be so unlucky that he keeps rolling ones, failing all skill checks, despite how high his skills are when attempting skill checks. But that's not the argument you're making [...]
Also, you either can't re-roll a failure (red checks) or you can re-roll if you invest a point into it (white checks). Meaning investing points into skill still serves a purpose, because not only you have easier time to pass the check, you get another chance at it too. So how is this "making investing in skills marginal"?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Even if save scumming is that a big problem, you can random generate a "seed" and you will always roll "X", doesn't matter how much you reload. IDK why few games uses it....

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Also, you either can't re-roll a failure (red checks) or you can re-roll if you invest a point into it (white checks). Meaning investing points into skill still serves a purpose, because not only you have easier time to pass the check, you get another chance at it too. So how is this "making investing in skills marginal"?
All of this is very interesting, but the hell it has to do with AoD?

AoD has skillchecks that you can retry as much as you want, coming back once leveled up and with proper skill. AoD has branching skillchecks that have different situations for success and failure. AoD has very few instadeath skillcheck failures, despite people saying otherwise.

In the end, it's the matter of preference. But it was you going along the lines "no skillrolls - game is shit".

Harthwain

Magister
All of this is very interesting, but the hell it has to do with AoD?
I can't really help you if you can't follow the chain of conversation. Perhaps read this discussion from the beginning?

In the end, it's the matter of preference.
I said that already. Twice. How come you are reaching this conclussion just now?

But it was you going along the lines "no skillrolls - game is shit".
And you seem to be awfully anal about it. Yes, I generally don't like systems that treat skills as flat out useless, which is why I find rolls with added skill value to be a better solution over having to match flat values.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
I can't really help you if you can't follow the chain of conversation. Perhaps read this discussion from the beginning?
Because AoD is perfectly fine as it is. You seem to be confusing "I don't like their approach" with "but they did miss the mark by a bit". If you played the game you surely noticed some deliberate game-design decisions that are not at all common to most RPGs, but were used in AoD to fulfill developer' original intention.

Flat skillchecks work perfectly fine in AoD and if you think that this makes skills useless, this is only your imagination. For example, Steal in Fallout 1/2. You don't have to raise it above 30% - you can reload your game until you finally succeed at stealing. Same with Doctor - reload until you succeed at healing your broken limb. Adding skillrolls to AoD will lead to players making hybrid builds with 5-6 in most skills and reloading until check is passed. Is it good or bad? Well, guys at Iron Tower decided that it's bad.

Harthwain

Magister
Flat skillchecks work perfectly fine in AoD and if you think that this makes skills useless, this is only your imagination.
You clearly has no idea what you're talking about. Directly from the developer's mouth:

Underdeveloped skills are useless in the game, period.
You either have to keep pumping up certain skills or you won't get any benefit out of them, meaning they will be useless.

For example, Steal in Fallout 1/2. You don't have to raise it above 30% - you can reload your game until you finally succeed at stealing. Same with Doctor - reload until you succeed at healing your broken limb. Adding skillrolls to AoD will lead to players making hybrid builds with 5-6 in most skills and reloading until check is passed.
chByYp6.jpg

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
  • Thay = High fantasy version of Saudi Arabia
  • Icewind Dale = High fantasy version of Scandinavia
  • Neverwinter = High fantasy version of British empire
  • Ravenloft = High fantasy version of Eastern Europe
  • RPGCodex = High fantasy version of stormfront.

laclongquan

Arcane
Even if save scumming is that a big problem, you can random generate a "seed" and you will always roll "X", doesn't matter how much you reload. IDK why few games uses it....
Because it might lead to even more savescumming, is why.

Say: you have two targets. You are going to miss two of them even if standing 1/2/3 tile closer to them. but if you change to another tile and shoot one, you are going to miss him but hit the other. Thus this is the optimal step you are going to choose. All this require is ten reloads.

jackofshadows

Magister
Because it's pointless. Player who wanna cheat/savescum will always find a way to do it and player who prefer playing by the rules won't see it. In any case, it's better to have flat skill checks than this and as for random in general it's better to make ironman mode and design the game around it at least to a degree than messing with RNG like in nuXCOM (without an option for it).

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
The possibility to save when and where one wants and to restore the game state, exactly how one left it, should be a given in modern games, such as the possibility to pause or to quit the game in any moment. Imagine a game where you cannot quit or pause because this is against the "vision" of the developer.

The real reason of the save limitation in games is the incompetence of the developers that, having learned to program just by scripting third part engines, are not able to implement a proper saving system. And then, to hide their incompetence, they start talking about their "game vision" and how you should play the game.

Think about the explosion of rogue-likes (where you have to start from scratch or from checkpoints when you need to quit, since you cannot save) among indies in the last years. Do you think that it has happened for a genuine admiration by these zoomer developers towards rogue, nethack, moria and angband?.

ADL

Prophet
If STALKER 2 is a consolized piece of shit like some of you guys claim, it won't be due to controllers. STALKER totally could work on a controller.

Wesp5

Arcane
The real reason of the save limitation in games is the incompetence of the developers that, having learned to program just by scripting third part engines, are not able to implement a proper saving system. And then, to hide their incompetence, they start talking about their "game vision" and how you should play the game.

Exactly. Also as a bonus your short indie game will appear much longer if the players need to repeat some tedious sections over and over because they can't save at the right moment!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom