Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trigger the codex with a statement.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Only wathced the introduction of SMT Nocturne and honestly seems amazing ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQheTDMsH1k&list=PLDwjEcGRHRZ6Xk1ePGi_Y4QiilBXVArsG )

However, i still believe that at best will be like FF1, which is good but not a masterpiece like Dark Sun : Shattered Lands. Why? The game is a console game.

Here is a another triggering fact to few people here. Consoles are a huge limitation on how great a RPG can be. Just compare Pool of Radiance with the console port, Ultima 7 or even the most streamlined 90s RPG, Diablo 1 with Diablo 1 for P$1. We had two great declines on RPG genre. First when they started to copy BS wow mechanics everywhere and ignore the consistency between lore and mechanics. The second was when they decided to focus far more on console markets. And a third great decline is coming, thanks to mobile gaming.

About U7 snes port, this video is long but this guy shows how much the console limitations AND nintendo retarded family friendly agenda destroyed U7.

-------------------------------------

About JRPG's devs, i don't get why they keep working for $ony. $ony had no problem showing transsexual sex on the last of us but anime boobs "censor it, burn to the ground!!!", because if there are a portion of males who like a thing, it is necessarily bad. If they release their game on PC's, the retarded nonsensical agenda of $ony will have to change. And when they talk about "global standards of nudity", they are talking about Commiefornia standards. Because Last of Us 2 got censored on many parts of the world.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
There are tons of games that need tons of guides and meta-gaming to play succesfully. AoD is not unique in that. Yet many of those games are extremely succesful, while AoD is a flop. So that tells you everything you need to know, it is not that it is hard, it is that it is boring and not fun.

The idea that cRPGs are struggling to survive because they are complex when there are so many overwhelmingly popular and complex games out there is hilarious. But when your games aren't popular there's always the "at least I'm smarter than the other casuals" excuse.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
However, i still believe that at best will be like FF1, <snip> Why? The game is a console game.
This right here is one of the most retarded and ignorant things I've ever read on the Codex. Go play the fucking game right now.

One thing that i learned is > Always maintain low expectation with console games. Mainly with RPGs, shooters and strategy games,.

Anyway, i don't own a P$2, nor P$4/P$5 and will not buy any console. And don't plan to waste my money on it. Consoles are overtaxed on my country, with the price of a P$4, i probably can visit a long range firing range in a neighbor country, upgrade my PC, save to a eventual emergency, spend on prostitutes , purchase years of my local gym, invest into my career and a lot more.

But watching a little more, SMT nocturne surprized my expectations by far more. The story is extremely interesting and the turn combat seems well made, with fast animations AND a quite more tactic than other games.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
BTW the way, I recommend you play good RPG games (like Skyrim) as ASAP as possible.

:troll:

Many people here adore some mediocre, awful and old dungeon crawlers. Such trash is absolutely unplayable nowadays but it's a good thing to know how it all started. "Literature fans" are similar kind of faggots, but at least they don't pretend that "Epic of Gilgamesh" is best book of all times.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
The idea that cRPGs are struggling to survive because they are complex when there are so many overwhelmingly popular and complex games out there is hilarious. But when your games aren't popular there's always the "at least I'm smarter than the other casuals" excuse.

Yes, that is what i have been saying. CRPGs like AoD are not struggling to survive because they are complex, but because they suck as video games and are not fun. Other more complex games exist and sell well.

barghwata

Savant
Yes, that is what i have been saying. CRPGs like AoD are not struggling to survive because they are complex, but because they suck as video games and are not fun. Other more complex games exist and sell well.

Damn...... i'm agreeing with Templar, should i be worried?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
BTW the way, I recommend you play good RPG games (like Skyrim) as ASAP as possible.

Skyrim as a sandbox action game is decent. as a RPG is complete trash. I just don't know why Oblivion receive well less hate than Skyrim. Except by classes and attributes, everything is better on skyrim. And even the attribute system of oblivion is one of the most retarded attribute system ever.

• Vampirism > The unique donwside is the lack of sun damage(can be fixed with mods), vampire lord form is cool as **** and my unique critique is the lack of first person; morrowind had first person for werewolves. Why third person only?
  • Marskamship > Skyrim offers way more options, you can even use crossbows with explosive bolts
  • Spellcasting > Oblivion is better since you can create your own spells BUT mods can fix it.
  • Level scaling > Far less strong on Skyrim. On Oblivion, you see Bandits sleeping into poor tents while wear daedric armor and can soak 666*10²³ hits from a fully maximized pure str orc. Oblivion has the WORST level scaling ever. It makes high level gameplay just unplayable. Seriously. I was using autoclicker in some combats.
  • Decision making > Skyrim is a shallow game in C&C BUT at least you can decide between nords nazis or imperial fascists. Can also decide between vampirism or dawnguard. On Oblivion you can be the Gran Master of Fighter Guilds and Thieves guild, two opposite guides.
  • Theme > Nordic theme is far more interesting.
Of course, Daggerfall and Morrowind are the best TES games, Skyrim has less RPG on it than most survival games that i've played but at lest is a decent action game. Diablo 3 in other hands, is trash as a RPG, is trash as a looter and is trash as a action game. Nothing more boring than spamming the same rotation over and over and watching timers. Games like it which follow the wow formula fells more like a tedious manual working than a actual RPG.

Damn...... i'm agreeing with Templar, should i be worried?

Me too. When he criticized Outward, i decided to buy. And din't liked. I was thinking "i an agreeing with TemplarGR? What is wrong with me?"

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Ok, mate, if you suck at AoD there's no need to be so butthurt about it. There's plenty of challenged people who suffer the same.

Anyway, new shitposting thread when?

Lhynn

Arcane
Yeah I cheated and gave myself max stats to check it out and the game sucks!!
I ran up to a point without giving myself a small boost on talky talky skills and all i did was passively beat the shit out of things with no problem. Then i boosted the talky talky and my character magically gained some agency which made the game more enjoyable.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Implying that game takes any skill on the players part.
Literally every negative review on GOG, Steamed Hams and Codex: AoD is to hard!11 Who are this retarded people?
People that thought they could get away with a hybrid build without metaknowledge of the checks to come. Which is most players, because thats how you play most rpgs.

I watched a review and honestly AoD looks amazing, it is just not for me. No necromancy, nor anti materiel rifles, nor longbows with poisoned bodkin arrows, nor magical tentacles to throw on succubus. I don't get why people like TemplarGR can't see that a game can be good despite him not liking it.

The review in question.

I only disagree what he talked about 8 min. he complains the lack of Fully voice acting but honestly, it HURTS games. If you look to old school RPG's, the quantity of writing and possible ways to solve the same thing was EPIC. On arcanum, there was tons of dialogs written only for a tier 2 necromancer spell which allows you to speak with deceased NPC's and it allow you to solve a lot of side and main quests in different ways. Being a highly charismatic gorgeous elf or a dumb uggly orc changes things from the beginning till the end boss which you can "defeat" using dialog. Since it is just "flags" and text dialogs, it can exist in a game. But if Arcanum had fully voice acting, why would the devs spend resources creating dialogs that less than 5% of the playerbase will experience?

Anyway, talking again about templarGR, this RETARDED idea that popularity = quality really triggers me. And is so retarded.

A popular car is far more "popular" than a Ferrari. It doesn't means that the popular car is better than the Ferrari. "But Ferrari costs a lot", yes, but cost is not only monetary. Reading and thinking for 3 seconds is a high price for the average "press A for awesome" gamer. And if we consider popularity = quality, Justin Bieber is the best musician of all time.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I wonder how is it possible to complain for the lack of voice acting in a game such as AOD. It is like reviewing a book and complaining that it has no pictures in it.

Lhynn

Arcane
I watched a review and honestly AoD looks amazing, it is just not for me.
Eh, its a good game, just massively overhyped here, mostly by cocksuckers. There is no real skill involved in the playing of it, but it has a few memorable situations and the setting itself is really cool.

Harthwain

Magister
I watched a review and honestly AoD looks amazing, it is just not for me.
Agreed. I appreciate what they were going for, but they did miss the mark by a bit.

I would have liked it a lot more if it was done closer to Disco Elysium mechanically (your skills actings as bonuses to your total roll), because fixed skill requirements needed to pass a check do screw you in a negative way; by removing your ability to do anything, despite investing points in them. In Disco you can still be screwed by having a bad roll (despite having good stats), but at least putting points in skills is generally always beneficial, rather than a waste of points, meaning skill upgrades remain useful (and that's exactly how skills should work: being useful by providing you with options). And you still have the ability to re-roll white checks by investing a related skill point. Also, a failure in Disco is done much better, because outcomes aren't binary (you're not required to win every skill check in order to gain something from it).

With some tunning I think AoD could be much more interesting game. Hopefully Colony Ship proves that.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom