Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trip the Ark Fantastic | The Hermitage of Pride

Alex_Gamechuck

Gamechuck
Developer
you are absolutely correct about the spoiler.
but the real question of the game isn't to figure it out (it's super obvious, even the kings advisor tells you the myth is shady) but whether you want to use your scholarly reputation expose the system or not, and what the consequences will be...
on the one hand, you can side with voltaires (albeit sarcastic) quote when he says: even if there were no god, it would be necessary to invent one.
on the other you can go 100% fox mulder on the truth and "end the fed"...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not a huge fan of the animals thing but this looks cool. Very unique idea and you seem to have put a lot of thought behind every design decision.

Carry on, Gamechuck. May this not be vaporware :salute:

Pero_Gamechuck

Gamechuck
Developer
Not a huge fan of the animals thing but this looks cool. Very unique idea and you seem to have put a lot of thought behind every design decision.

Carry on, Gamechuck. May this not be vaporware :salute:

We'd never vaporise our animals! :cry: :P

Thank you for your positive comments, JarlFrank, really means a lot :)

Pero_Gamechuck

Gamechuck
Developer
The tools we use for Trip the Ark Fantastic development

Hey folks. Every week we'll (do our best to) publish some kind of a dev-blog/shout-out article with a hashtag #arkblogthursday. For now, this seems doable, but if we run out of stuff to write about... well, we probably wont :-D

Btw, Ark Fantastic is on social networks too, so we'd really appreciate a follow or two :)

Ark Fantastic on Discord
Ark Fantastic official website
Ark Fantastic on Twitter
Ark Fantastic on Facebook
Ark Fantastic on Instagram

ANYWAY, December is an open source game appreciation month.

Since that's the case, we wanted to give a shout out to all the open source tools we use! Of course there are so many, and December only has a few weeks so we decided to focus on three of our most important open source tools - Ink for interactive dialogues, Godot Engine for code, and Krita for art.

This weeks shout out goes to ink, a wonderful markup language for writing interactive fiction. It's perfect for character dialogues, but we also use it for stage directions during the dialogues and even triggers for characters scene behaviour.

What we love most about it is the fact that it’s easily readable by a writer, even when it has many different options. Check out this snippet for example:

image-768x373.png

This is a much more complex example than basic Ink but it also shows its power.

Ignoring the codey part and starting from line 12, you not only see that there after a few starting dialogues there are 3 options to choose from (indicated by * stars) and what the answer is for each of them, but you can also send function calls to the engine running the game.

In our example, the {s(“A”)} and {s(“P”)} functions change the portrait, voice, and animation of the character currently speaking (especially useful in a tavern where a dozen characters interrupt each other constantly!)

The most wonderful fact is that it’s simultaneously human readable and computer readable and when the dialogue writing starts it has almost zero overhead (just text with an occasional symbol here and there to denote some function or something).

This is how it looks in-game:

dialogue_faster_cropped.gif

On the programming side of things, the folks at Inkle studios unfortunately don’t directly provide an integration package for the Godot Game Engine. Luckily the community has our backs and we would like to give a shout out to Frédéric Maquin who has kindly supplied the FOSS community with a direct port for Godot!

Last edited:

Pero_Gamechuck

Gamechuck
Developer
Looks interesting and I wish you all the luck and success with this game. But it also looks like a bunch of furry shit to me.

Well, first, thank you for all of the support. Regarding the "furry", it's actually interesting how the furry community/trend/movement affects the game design decisions of certain games. In this case, ours, too :|

We have nothing to do with the furry community, nor was it in our minds to "target" those people. As Alex put it

i checked out the methods of rationality when it was on its 50th chapter or so... seemed like a fun idea but i abhor fan fiction (even more than furry cuteness)... but the furry cuteness is i hope alleviated by the fact that they are not antropomorphic furry-suit people like in cartoons such as zootopia... i really wanted them to look like real animals (hence no clothes, huge size differences, etc)... but i guess as soon as it's animals it's considered furry
the other way to go would be either caricatural which wouldn't fit the theme well, or too naturalistic which would maybe work better but has its downfalls as well, such as being too edgy / artsy and therefore not approachable...
oh well!

Alex_Gamechuck

Gamechuck
Developer
Pero_Gamechuck is just kidding, we're all rabid furries and that's the only reason why we're doing this game. My fursona is Seth MacFarlane uwuwuwu.

On the same level of seriousness, yes, it will be exactly like Siliver Fang!

Plane Escapee

Your friend
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ignore the furry comments. Furries are bad news but this ain't it. Nothing but wholesome vintage family entertainment here, in fact it makes me wish I was a parent so I could share this with my kids once it is released. Please keep us updated and good job on what you've shown so far. Please take this monocle-wearing parrot and a complimentary top hat:

+M

just

Liturgist
probably the first game i've seen using godot. apart from some hobby projects

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The tools we use for Trip the Ark Fantastic development

Ink, huh? I'm currently playing through Heaven's Vault and loving it, and that was written in ink too.

But please make movement speed faster than in that game :M

Is it good btw? I remember the decision not to buy it after reading reviews, but don't remember why.

I enjoy it, but it has some issues.

- walking is pretty slow and you will do plenty of walking; it hasn't come to the point yet where I switch on CheatEngine's speedhack yet though
- translating ancient phrases is the main draw of the gameplay, and it works pretty well; I find it to be a little easy overall but then I have experience in translating actual ancient languages which is 10 times more involving; getting your first fully translated sentence feels like a great step forward
- the atmosphere is superb and the graphical style of hand-drawn characters and 3D environments works very well
- there's lots of exploring, and exploration is always fun
- there are some choices & consequences, the game isn't entirely linear; I didn't get a certain book at a certain library for example, I got an old friend into trouble, etc.
- there's no save function, the game autosaves, which means you have to live with your choices and can't redact them; I actually kinda like that because I might have reloaded if there were a save function
- story is pretty good and you keep discovering new details about the ancients, the game manages to feel like you're discovering things at your own pace rather than being told what's up by others
- the robot companion is a pretty interesting character
- the traveling along the seas of the nebula is kinda lame, I got bored of that part pretty quickly

Alex_Gamechuck

Gamechuck
Developer
Godot is great so far. In our opinion it works great for 2D games and has a big community working on upgrading it, and many things are already solved by the community (for example inkgd, etc).
And yeah, birds and fishes exist in the Kingdom. Birds are mostly revolutionary since they don't buy into the myth as much as other (land animals) and fishes are considered stupid, but their intelligence is just of a different kind, which is part of the story later on.

Pero_Gamechuck

Gamechuck
Developer
Hey guys!

It's Tuesday, which means it's time for another nugget from Ark Fantastic lore. This time, we are talking more about king Lav.

Find out more about Ark Fantastic on our Discord, official website, and social networks.

Ark Fantastic on Discord
Ark Fantastic on Twitter

The Lav Rebellion
king-and-hedgehog-2000x1200.jpg

A score ago, the rebellion ended. Leopold the Lion, also called The Tyrant King, was overthrown by his brother Lav. Like his father Leonard, Lav is a gentle and enlightened monarch, versed in the sciences as well as the nuances of politics.

The rebellion was led by Lav, a lion, but it was a rebellion that included all castes of society. After years of war, a vast alliance of animals finally reached Blackbark, Leopold’s capital. The capital was well stocked and could endure many years of siege, giving it enough time to regroup and defeat the rebellion. When they were besieged, Leopold had sent all the citizens not in the armed forces out of the city to flee, knowing that Lav would have to take care of them and lose food and other precious resources. Lav decided to send them all to Pride, the hometown of the lions, and enter the city by force, thus ending the war then and there.

What isn’t common knowledge is that a famous scholar of the time, Herbert the Hedgehog (father of our protagonist Charles) was instrumental in ending the rebellion. It was he who devised a way to enter the city through a back entrance - researching old scripts on Blackbark’s architecture, he found a way to enter the city through the sewage system, and thus enter the cities defenses.

In the ensuing battle Blackbark burned to the ground, and Lav decided that all the animals who left for Pride could just stay there. He opened up these ancestral homelands of the lions to all the animals and declared Pride the new capital of the Animal Kingdom.

As King, Lav ushered in an age of freedom and reason. This had the adverse effect of making the divides of the kingdom more pronounced. The noble cats gained a political and economic foothold that they are now using to spread word of reform, and the lower castes are even speaking of anarchy. Will the rebel king’s rule end in rebellion as well, or will he find a way to placate unrest? This, and more, will be at stake in the game.

Pero_Gamechuck

Gamechuck
Developer
Hey y'all!

So this week for open source game appreciation month we would like to pay some tribute to our game engine of choice: Godot Game engine!

Find out more about Ark Fantastic on our Discord, official website, and social networks.

Ark Fantastic on Discord
Ark Fantastic on Twitter

When comparing Godot to other solutions on the market, one is quick to notice that it is a relatively new engine (first released in 2014) that hasn’t seen any big game releases yet (although it did, for example, port Deponia to PS4 and iOS). As a result, choosing Godot as our main engine might seem like a daring decision and it is one that has thus seen some critique from others in the game industry. The things that made us fall in love with Godot go hand in hand with benefits that are deeply intertwined with the essence of FOSS (Free and open-source software).

The most logical one of these FOSS-related benefits is of course that any missing feature or, inevitable, bug present in the engine can either be requested from the community or even be implemented/fixed by yours truly. Avoiding any of the abhorrent ticket systems that plague the proprietary game engine landscape (and most proprietary software in general). During development of “Trip the Ark Fantastic” we make full use of these advantages and hope to help Godot grow alongside our project.

charles_home2.gif

As this is but a simple post there is but place for a single one of Godot’s features that we would like put in the spotlight: Tool scripts! Explained in a layman’s fashion, these are scripts that can run inside of the editor without having to run the actual game, facilitating debugging and development tremendously.

Another, equally important reason for us, is that we actually really like working in Godot as it is, in our opinion, one of the more intuitive engines to prototype and work with that is out there. Godot supplies a wide arrangement of tools such as a mature animation system, fully native 2D support, a python-like custom scripting API, a node and scene system unlike anything found in other game engines and lots of other features that make the engine a joy to work in. But don’t take our word for it, try it out for yourself!

Pero_Gamechuck

Gamechuck
Developer
Welp, it's yet another #ArkLoreTuesday where we talk about the backstory of Trip The Ark Fantastic. Considering it's a festive season around, it's a perfect time to tell THERE IS NO SANTA IN ARK FANTASTIC LOLOLO

Anyway, let's get to it!

While the counting of years and the year of the Ark myth is firmly established, the exact date when the Ark was found is based on pure speculation, and therefore the date of the new year is calculated purely based on ceremonial reasons. Usually, it is the birth-date of the current king, but there are a few instances in recent history when this wasn’t so - during King Michaël, the date of the New Year was set to the discovery of Ark Island (corresponding to our mid-June), and the current New Year coincides with Pride’s Day of Bells. This day marks the beginning of the Lav rebellion, and is a holiday festivity across the Kingdom, in celebration of Lav’s victory over tyranny and oppression. It corresponds to our own late September.

There are no Santas or Christmas decorations in the Animal Kingdom, however, there is one tradition held for over three decades now - the Day of Bells is celebrated at noon by ringing all the bells in the entire Kingdom, which you will be able to experience yourself in the game (be careful about the volume on your earphones though!)

FHnhU9e.gif

Snowy snowy and coldy coldy wastelands in Ark Fantastic

The Day of the Bells refers to the start of the rebellion when Leopold's emissary arrived at Pride. Usually, when royalty is at the door, the gate bells ring three times (and twice if it's nobility, and once if it's a non-noble delegation). When the bells end their ringing, the gates open. But the beller at Pride knew that something was wrong, that Leopold must have heard of Lav's quiet plot to overthrow him, and that opening the gate would probably lead to his imprisonment. So he rang once, twice, thrice... And just kept ringing, so the doors never open.

The royal delegation had not expected such a defiance, and, faced with a closed gate, turned back for Blackbark, while Pride armoured up for war. This day is thus considered the start of Lav's Rebellion, and the beginning of the end of Leopold's tyranny.

Read moar on Ark Fantastic at

Pero_Gamechuck

Gamechuck
Developer
Hey y'all.

First, I wish everyone Merry Christmas and happy holidays!

For this devlog, let me introduce Serena, our character artist for Trip the Ark Fantastic. Serena will talk about Krita, an open-source program for painting, that we use for Ark Fantastic.

Serena, the stage is yours!

Hi, I’m Serena, the character artist for Trip the Ark Fantastic.

This week for open source game appreciation month I’d like to write a bit about the tool we use for making the art of our game – Krita. It’s an open source program for painting which can be used in various ways – from portraits to comics to game art. It’s compatible with most graphics tablets and is easy to set up.

Prior to this project, I haven’t really worked with Krita, and learning it was really no problem. The interface is very easy to learn – which makes it great for beginner artists and animators but also those already working in the industry, since it uses similar UI features as other professional tools.

Krita deliberately focuses on digital art, so it does not have a varied palette of photography tools as PS for example, but it’s for the best – it gives artists what they need most without cluttering the software with unnecessary features – just a professional tool for digital art.

Personally, I’m in love with the right click pop-up palette which makes my workflow faster and easier and the brush customization option which is really simple to understand even without any knowledge in the area.

Here you can see an early speed paint of an art piece I made in Krita, the portrait of king Leonard the Wise, father of King Lav:

It’s impressive what independent developers can put together. By building this program and contributing to its code, those developers are giving an opportunity for everyone (regardless of any political or economical constraints) to learn digital art using a full version of professional software – for free.

Read moar on Ark Fantastic at

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom