Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline True Thief 4 Dark Mod is released

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Thank you. I remember general very high quality in the missions when playing years ago.

Downloading, gonna play Shadows of Northdale. Will post impressions

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Completed shadows of northdale Act 1. Fantastic in every aspect.

I love these missions where you explore a city like a citizen and sneak into private properties to steal. Also the murder investigation and the general mood helps immersion. Very good level design , good voice acting, etc.

good Red wine + good Thief gameplay = :obviously:

flyingjohn

Arcane
There is a specific fm author i am starting to really hate.
Airship missions aka architect extraordinaire.

I can tolerate shit,but when you give me optional equipment to buy and one of those is a key you can't find anywhere on the map i say FUCK YOU.
When you give me the options to remove guards and then put that guard in front of the vault sitting at a desk surrounded by light you can't distinguish i say FUCK YOU.Bonus points for the gas arrows to knock him out are behind him.
When you punish player for knocking out guards yet design the level in such way you can't not knock out guards i say FUCK YOU.
When you have to pixel hunt specif things even when you know where they are i say FUCK YOU.

Bonus points for the most fm missions where you can get stuck in furniture.

Time to move on to bikerdude's missions.

index.php

Arcane
The Dark Mod 2.08 released!
We are proud to announce the release of The Dark Mod 2.08!

Long in development, many fixes related to Multi-Core, Uncapped FPS, and the 64-bit migration are now available. TDM 2.08 goes further with the process to modernize coding standards in TDM, replacing legacy OpenGL functions and ARB Assembly shaders with modern techniques.

Mappers will be pleased to see many new quality assets as well as enhancements to rain, fog, skylight, AIs and visportal diagnostics.

For the eye-candy crowd, new Bloom, 64-bit color mode, and SSAO options have been added!

For Linux users, the project can now be compiled via CMake.

A full changelog can be viewed here, but some highlights include:

Better Visuals: Cabalistic has finally added the much requested SSAO feature to TDM. Using a method called Scalable Ambient Obscurance, now areas with flat ambient lighting come alive with new detail! He’s also implemented a new Bloom method, and brightness and gamma will no longer interfere with desktop brightness.

Better AI: Grayman has refined the AI yet again, for instance ensuring that sitting and lying aren’t thwarted by obstacles.

Better Gameplay: The player’s ability to move and interact with the environment has been improved thanks to fixes to mantling as well as climbing ropes and ladders. Ragdolls are easier to handle and shouldering them is accompanied by an animation.

Better Mapping: The mapper’s toolkit has seen several enhancements. A new X-ray surface and new spectrum spawnargs modify how objects are perceived. Rain is much less taxing and uses static collision detection to limit its fall. New visportal diagnostics make it easier than ever to track down notorious internal leaks.

Better Performance: The dev team has as always been hard at work making improvements to performance and laying the groundwork for even more improvements in the future. Multi-Core’s stability has been enhanced and is no longer listed as an “Experimental” setting.

New Assets: Many quality textures and models were added by both Team members and community contributors. Especially of note is the inclusion of Kingsal’s manbeasts and Springheel’s new zombies, and expect to catch glimpses of the werebeast. If you are a mission author, please take a look here.

New Sounds: The player’s movement is now accompanied by new sounds when mantling, swimming and sliding down ropes and ladders.

To update, simply run the tdm_update.exe file in your darkmod folder. Please be aware that old saved games will not be compatible with 2.08, so finish any missions you might be in the middle of first!

A new FM also just got released - The Painter’s Wife by Fractured Glass Company (2020/07/01):
https://forums.thedarkmod.com/index...r’s-wife-by-fractured-glass-company-20200701/

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Don't get me wrong, it's great 2.08 got released, but I just started playing Kingdom Come Deliverance and Mount & Blade 2 and I'm not sure when I'll have the time again :negative:

index.php

Arcane
https://github.com/fholger/thedarkmodvr/
This is a VR mod for the free game "The Dark Mod", a Thief series inspired first-person stealth game.

The mod is in early development. It is currently a seated keyboard+mouse experience only, without any comfort options. It is recommended to experienced VR players only, and familiarity with the base game in non-VR play is going to be helpful. A full room-scale experience is the long-term goal, but there's a long way to go :)

index.php

Arcane
The Dark Mod 2.09 has been Released!
Posted on February 15, 2021 by nbohr1more

We are proud to announce the release of The Dark Mod 2.09!

TDM 2.09 marks a new phase of performance improvements aimed lowering CPU overhead in the graphics engine.

A whole new graphic backend has been created by Cabalistic which uses modern OpenGL features to eliminate the need for the CPU to constantly issue commands to allow the Graphic Processor to render scenes.

This gives TDM some of the performance advantages of rendering using a low level API like Vulkan.

Stgatilov has been very busy this release cycle. He has put heroic efforts into improving the way that TDM upgrades and hosting operate in addition to the vast improvements to TDM itself. (He also refactored the entire particle engine and created a link system to connect TDM to Dark Radiant.)

A full changelog can be viewed here, but some highlights include:

Better performance:
A brand new Backend that uses UBO, Persistent Mapping, Bindless textures, and Multi-Draw has been added.

“Frontend Acceleration” (Multi-Core job based rendering based on Doom 3 BFG) now works as expected.

Normal Map compression now uses RGTC resulting in lower storage, VRAM requirements, and less artifacts ( load times should improve in future TDM versions when pre-compressed RGTC textures are added )

Background texture loading has improved. This should shorten load times and reload.

Better visuals:

A new Sharpening Filter has been added. It can make 70% Render Scale look almost like native resolution (more performance).

( It also cleans up some blurry textures for all Render Scales. )

Bumpmap lighting is smoother, so that lighting does not instantly flip to off when getting close to edges of occluded objects.

Particle physics have been substantially improved for both accuracy and performance.

Borderless Fullscreen works properly on Windows.

Water and other GUI effects that did not respond to Gamma now brighten properly.

AMD and Intel fixes have been added for SSAO rendering

Better gameplay:

Experimental Gamepad support has been added.

Creep works in alway-run mode

Better mapping:

A new linking system allows The Dark Mod to act as a real-time preview of Dark Radiant

The redesigned particles now have improved setup and configuration.

Automated fixes have been created for “rotation hacked” models

Prefabs have been seen numerous fixes and reorganization to make them easier to use

Better Sound:

Conversation and other sounds are no longer stopped by saving or going to main menu.

EFX reverb has been added to “Mission 1: A New Job”

Extinguished gas lamps are no longer noisy when doused

New Assets:

Dragofer, Epifire, Bikerdude, LDAsh, Kingsal, Dram have all added substantial asset updates ranging from updated Werebeast animations, Steam Engines, fireflies

More stable:

A huge number of fragile code areas have been overhauled to either fix crashes or prevent likely crashes due to risk of divide by zero, uninitialized values, or dangling pointers (leftover settings) on entities and functions.

We recommend that you upgrade using the new “tdm_installer” available here. Please be aware that old saved games will not be compatible with 2.09, so finish any missions you might be in the middle of first!

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I really like the William Steele missions. His work will forever be remembered :(

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
I really want to get into this but I find the performance to be incomprehensibly shit even with the alleged improvement the last patch brought.

It's really odd. According to the nvidia overlay I'm getting like 80fps in most areas, but it really doesn't feel like it. Its very choppy. I'm thinking it must be something to do with the refresh rate, but theres no option for it.

Melcar

Arcane
I really want to get into this but I find the performance to be incomprehensibly shit even with the alleged improvement the last patch brought.

It's really odd. According to the nvidia overlay I'm getting like 80fps in most areas, but it really doesn't feel like it. Its very choppy. I'm thinking it must be something to do with the refresh rate, but theres no option for it.

Shiet. 80fps?

Skdursh

Savant

Not sure what the problem is on your end, but I've been playing TDM for ~5 years or so and even with the older versions my FPS was always 60fps stable and no choppiness so long as I didn't push the anti-aliasing or lighting too hard on my GTX1060 laptop (1080p). With my GTX1080 laptop I can run it with all settings at max (at 1080p, 60hz/60fps) with no issue. I'll install it to my desktop later tonight and see how it tests at 4K (if it supports 4K res, not sure off the top of my head) and 2K with a RTX3070. What operating system/version are you using and what is your hardware like?

Melcar

Arcane
I think bloom and shadows are the biggest performance munchers. Don't go crazy with those. On my system (RX480 using mesa drivers) I have to unlock the fps for the game to not be "choppy".

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!

Not sure what the problem is on your end, but I've been playing TDM for ~5 years or so and even with the older versions my FPS was always 60fps stable and no choppiness so long as I didn't push the anti-aliasing or lighting too hard on my GTX1060 laptop (1080p). With my GTX1080 laptop I can run it with all settings at max (at 1080p, 60hz/60fps) with no issue. I'll install it to my desktop later tonight and see how it tests at 4K (if it supports 4K res, not sure off the top of my head) and 2K with a RTX3070. What operating system/version are you using and what is your hardware like?

win 10
gtx 1660 ti 8gb
16gb ram
i7-9750H

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom