Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Two Worlds 2 Sells 1 Million Copies

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Reality Pump Studios; Two Worlds II

<p>Reality Pumps latest installment sold 1 million copies, <a href="http://www.twoworlds2.com/en/358,one-million-sales-mark-broken.html" target="_blank">according to the official site</a>, which is kind of an achievement considering the game hasn't been released yet in North America and UK.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>We're proud to announce that Two Worlds II, the major turnaround sequel of the year, has recently broken the one million unit sales mark in Europe after just three weeks on the store shelves. And, the momentum doesn't appear to be slowing. More than sixty magazines have awarded or reviewed the game as being exceptional, and player feedback has been tremendous as well.</p>
<p>As many know, the North American, Irish and UK release of the next installment in the Two Worlds franchise has been pushed back to January 25th, 2011. Contrary to an earlier December press release in Europe by TopWare's publishing partner: South Peak Games, has relinquished distribution rights in Ireland and the UK to TopWare in order to focus on their North American marketing campaign. The rights were not purchased back by TopWare, as was previously reported.</p>
<p>TopWare Interactive's, managing director, James Seaman, had this to say: "Both TopWare and South Peak want our game to get the attention it deserves. South Peak wants to give the North American market 100% of their attention, and we're happy we were able to take some of the weight off their shoulders. Two Worlds II really is a labor of love, and after seeing how far the game has come, the fans are going to be blown away in January!"</p>
</blockquote>
<p><em>Newsitem brought to you by Darth Roxor.</em></p>

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I believe this game's success rides a lot on the failure of ArcaniA, and people trying different sources to get their Gothic fix.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Good for them. It was a massive incline on TW1, and hopefully they'll learn from this one and use the money to make the next game better still.

With the bigger markets still to come and despite the KWA and Limey reluctance to appreciate mainland European games(Gothic also suffered), they should scrape up close to a million sales there, particularly if they polish and add shit to the game until then.

Don't forget that their marketing is similar to Bethesda. I've already explained this in the other thread. Same guy gets interviewed, reviews with high ratings get a greenlight to be released before the competition, they also invite journalists into their studios and stuff.

And, nipples.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
One million copies.
million.png

SolipsisticUrge

Educated
Wasn't all that impressed with the original, but the foundations were solid enough that I hold some hope for the sequel. I'll likely be pitching in my +1 to their sales once it's available in the U.S.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Is there any story continuity between TW1 and 2 (like BG1 and 2)? Basically is there any reason to play TW1 before TW2?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
oldmanpaco said:
Is there any story continuity between TW1 and 2 (like BG1 and 2)? Basically is there any reason to play TW1 before TW2?

The story is a continuation of what happens in the first game regarding your character and his sister so if you want the full saga you'll play both, but really it's much more compartmentalized so you won't miss out on much except a bit of backstory if you just play TW2. It's not like BG2 which tended to depend on playing BG to get the full story.

MicoSelva said:
oldmanpaco said:
is there any reason to play TW1 before TW2?

My question also.
Actually, is there any reason to play TW1 at all?

The world is nice, it's fun enough exploring if you're an explorefag.

Raapys

Arcane
Good for them. Was personally a bit disappointed; didn't have high expectations, but I did have some. Still, it was a rather large step up from the first game, and if that trend continues with the very likely third game, then I'll definitely be interested.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
What the hell is a major turnaround sequel? Does that make sense in any language?

Yeesh

Magister
HanoverF said:
What the hell is a major turnaround sequel? Does that make sense in any language?
I'm not pretending I know for sure, but I assumed it was a politer way of saying, "sequel which avoided the shittiness of its predecessor."

I express no opinion on either game, that's just what I think the term means.

Oaken

Novice
The question is whether or not we should play The Witcher 1 first.

laclongquan

Arcane
Can you believe that 1million number? Because I cant. VentilatorOfDoom's "which is kind of an achievement considering the game hasn't been released yet in North America and UK. " is point well made.

bhlaab

Erudite
SimpleComplexity said:
Don't forget that their marketing is similar to Bethesda. I've already explained this in the other thread. Same guy gets interviewed, reviews with high ratings get a greenlight to be released before the competition, they also invite journalists into their studios and stuff.

And, nipples.

Yeah because the Two Worlds guys have that much sway with the press

ricolikesrice

Arcane
i dont see the big upgrade over two worlds 1 that many people & the press claim.

better:

+graphics (though the bloom is REALLY annoying)
+cinematics (still looks pretty akward)
+writing (now its slightly below mediocre, before that it was atrocious)

worse:

-exploration (game is a lot more linear and areas are more repeative)

still crap:

*character system
*loot system
*COMBAT

all the things that would actually matter in an action RPG, i.e. having a solid combat & character system, good exploration and loot .... are still as bad if not even worse (exploration) than two worlds 1.

in tradeoff you get better graphics and reality pump trying to (and failing) be bioware with more focus on (a retarded) story, cutscenes and dialogue..

i personally had quite some hopes for TW2: afterall i thought i saw potential in part 1 which wasnt a good game but well it was their first game of that kind and had some good ideas although flawed execution. when reading that part 2 is a huge improvement on every area i caved in, bought it and ended up pretty disappointed.

but i m not really suprised at the 1m sales, the game got almost as much hype here in germany as bioware/bethesda titles. tons of adds, previews, features etc. long before release.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I shared my impressions in another thread, but why not repeat them here as well?

I liked the game initially, but unfortunately couldn't bring myself to finish it. Both exploration and combat turned out to be quite bad.
First, in contrast to the Gothic series, exploration is actively discouraged instead of being encouraged. All you come across when exploring are quest-locked doors (including tents!) and some generic loot. You can't even enter anything until you get a related quest, for fuck's sake! Also, it gets quite repetitive after a while.
Secondly, dungeon design is bad as well. Dungeons are 1. mostly boring, 2. lack any puzzles and generally do not require any thinking, and 3. (iirc) are automatically revealed fully on your map once you enter the dungeon.
Writing and quest design may be better, but still they are mediocre.
Finally, combat is bad. Running speed equals cheating. Melee combat is extremely repetitive and uninspired. And the knockdown ability (don't remember the name), which allows you to one-hit kill enemies, is way too overpowered and sometimes downright stupid. I was able to one-hit kill stone guardians, even. Magic system is very good - in concept. In reality, it's too broken. Some spells = cheating. Loot is mostly annoying. UI is horrible. Etc.

made

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
I believe this game's success rides a lot on the failure of ArcaniA
This, and lack of competition. There's not exactly a flood of (a)rpgs to choose from right now.

Anyone know how Divinity2/DKS is faring sales-wise?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
laclongquan said:
Can you believe that 1million number? Because I cant. VentilatorOfDoom's "which is kind of an achievement considering the game hasn't been released yet in North America and UK. " is point well made.

Who cares about NA and UK? Gothic and Divinity hardly sold anything in NA and UK compared to mainland Europe and that's what will happen here as well. NA and UK markets are ME, Fallout 3, Oblivion and DA:O territory. ARPG's of this type rarely sell much there. Oh and why would they lie about the numbers? If they are shit they don't get mentioned like with Arcania. If they ARE mentioned then they'd better be real as people would be able to find out and call them out on it. Remember that it's a multi platform release as well, so PC sales would only be a fraction of the total. One million sales are thus reasonable.

Who cares about NA and UK? Gothic and Divinity hardly sold anything in NA and UK compared to mainland Europe and that's what will happen here as well. NA and UK markets are ME, Fallout 3, Oblivion and DA:O territory. ARPG's of this type rarely sell much there.

Perhaps some numbers to back this assertion?

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Two Worlds I was such an irredeemable pile of steaming shit I can't believe the second one is supposedly doing so well. Maybe its cultural, I dunno. I saw the same thing with the Witcher -- honestly I thought the Witcher kinda sucked but all the Pollocks were like "Hey, is pretty good man!"

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Blackadder said:
Who cares about NA and UK? Gothic and Divinity hardly sold anything in NA and UK compared to mainland Europe and that's what will happen here as well. NA and UK markets are ME, Fallout 3, Oblivion and DA:O territory. ARPG's of this type rarely sell much there.

Perhaps some numbers to back this assertion?

Here're your numbers: 21314
Need more? Here: 35234524
YOU WANT MORE?! HERE: 150i239542905943090
Take your numbers and LEAVE!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom