Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Could be a revenant with bodily functions... or something.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Looking at the game files, it turns out that all the skill checks are level scaled. Hardly a surprise, but it's a highly unusual design choice; not even Fallout 3 did that.
This is common practice in PnP so I don't see a problem. People mistake well done level scaling with badly done level scaling. BG2 had good one, Oblivion and Skyrim had terrible.
Common practice in bad games/groups.
Nope. Bad practice is letting players get bored because of lack of challenge.
Challenge comes from tackling harder stuff, not making easy stuff hard.

imweasel

This game suffers from

THE TAINT OF SAWYER

More boring Pillows of Eternity drivel. Funnily enough Obsidian has learned nothing and actually made this worse than PoE. :lol: I also noticed that the Obsidian math noobs still fail to differentiate between percentages and percentage points; it is just a minor problem, but still kind of hilarious.

Just deleted the "demo" I downloaded. I hope your next game isn't a disappointment as well, Obsidian.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Edicts are such a boring narrative point. The overlord just spams his overpowered ability on cooldown and wins. Why did it take like 400 years to conquer the world? It makes everything sorta bland since absolutely every obstacle that the regime faces is done away with edicts with the exception of
Killing new Archons, that seems to be Blenden's job
I was hoping for a sort of evil overlord who manged to rule for such a long time through wits and cunning, not just immortality. A fantasy Vandal Savage if you will.

Sauron on steroids is far less interesting than say immortal Stalin.

imweasel

This game suffers from

THE TAINT OF SAWYER

I kind of like how even in games he hasn't been a part of, Sawyer somehow still gets the blame.
Well, Tranny uses the PoE framework which Sawyer is responsible for, so there you go. Although I do admit that PoE is the better game.

BTW, I was also wondering why the music is also so uninspired, so I checked the credits. Audio Director: Justin Bell. Again...

Last edited by a moderator:

Sentinel

Arcane
This game suffers from

THE TAINT OF SAWYER

I kind of like how even in games he hasn't been a part of, Sawyer somehow still gets the blame.
Well, Tranny uses the PoE framework which Sawyer is responsible for, so there you go. Although I do admit that PoE is the better game.

BTW, I was also wondering why the music is also so uninspired, so I checked the credits. Audio Director: Justin Bell. Again...
The only similarity between Tyranny and PoE is that they are both RTwP. The combat is completely different, and worse for it.
I think Tyranny's music has some decent tracks, namely those that bring some vocals to them, but everything else is just background noise.

Nael

Arcane
My review:

CklhrvZ.png

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The game got a hotfix a few hours ago, but no patch notes have been released yet. One of the QA guys has posted that many of the plot stopping bugs have now been fixed.

prettyfits

Literate
I'm digging the game so far, but the story isn't some masterpiece that the subreddit is proclaiming it to be. The only reason I prefer the Scarlet Chorus over the Disfavored is because they're little crybabies about everything.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So is this game worth a play, last few pages are just indepth mechanics discussion.

Play Pillars of Eternity, especially White March expansions. If you loved that so much you just can't get enough then you will probably enjoy this game. It does some things noticeably better than Pillars, some things not so better than Pillars.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
the game is pretty good. it's written better than pillars, the encounter design is better.

but combat are worse because more simplified mechanics.

the settings is better than pillars too in general

jaydee2k

Savant
So is this game worth a play, last few pages are just indepth mechanics discussion.

If you have anything better to do with your life? No.

I'd buy it at $10-15 and then leave it to my Steam library to wait for the time when I have absolutely nothing else to play.

You haven't even played the damn game nevertheless you say it's not worth playing. What the fuck ?!?
Game is quite good by the way. It's good for what it is.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
From a dev:

The issue here, is that enemies in the game only scale up to level 18, once you are 3 levels higher than an enemy, you cannot gain combat experience from that enemy. There is a separate issue with the companions gaining experience faster than they should when waiting at your spire, we are looking into that issue presently.

So the effective level cap is 21, unless you save up a lot of quests.

And oh yeah, of course companion experience gains are bugged too. Everything in this game is bugged.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
You haven't even played the damn game nevertheless you say it's not worth playing. What the fuck ?!?
Game is quite good by the way. It's good for what it is.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Yeah, there we go, target audience for the game right there. Tyranny is a game for you if you happen to be a dumbfuck newfag with serious reading comprehension issues.

Protip: I'm not a professional gaming journalist, I actually play through the games I review and critique.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom