Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny Pre-Release Thread

Deleted member 7219

The Chinese MMOs have kept Obsidian going over the past few years, and Pillars of Eternity was successful too. Tyranny may not do well because of the lack of press, but Paradox will be happy with it and they'll get to make more Paradox games in the future. Pillars of Eternity 2 will do the business too. If anything, Obsidian may downsize and continue to crank out games of this type instead of AAA console games.

They won't get another big publisher contract again. All the publishers have their own studios now, and as TheSentinel said, CDProjekt could only get away with making their own AAA RPG because they have a powerful publishing arm behind them (as well as tax breaks from the Polish government and other benefactors).

You're forgetting the secret Cain and Boyarsky project http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...discussion-thread.84849/page-142#post-4753575

I want to believe.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
This game screams 'quick buck' almost as much as the WoT clone they've been producing simultaneously.

The marketing for this game has been basically invisible. Thirteen developer diaries, a few interviews and previews, and little visibility. There is virtually no discussion of this game in any meaningful sense (if you exclude the 30-40 people participating right here). I reckon it's a keep-busy project for the bulk of their staff, while PoE 2 is readied for full production. And as much love as their writers put into the worlds they're designing, the setting feels very generic.

Coupled with the re-used engine and assets... Well, you get the idea.

I don't think it will sell well (it will probably just about break even) without some serious word of mouth.

Ignatius Reilly

Scholar
Wow, some of you guys are on a hair-trigger. I was just making a light joke in response to all your pre-order concern trolling. But you guys really ran with it! lol

Of course this game won't sink Obsidian. Probably cost a coke and a bag of chips to make. (I don't actually think it cost a coke and a bag of chips, to be clear.)

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This game screams 'quick buck' almost as much as the WoT clone they've been producing simultaneously.

The marketing for this game has been basically invisible. Thirteen developer diaries, a few interviews and previews, and little visibility. There is virtually no discussion of this game in any meaningful sense (if you exclude the 30-40 people participating right here). I reckon it's a keep-busy project for the bulk of their staff, while PoE 2 is readied for full production. And as much love as their writers put into the worlds they're designing, the setting feels very generic.

Coupled with the re-used engine and assets... Well, you get the idea.

I don't think it will sell well (it will probably just about break even) without some serious word of mouth.

Lifetime sales are pretty much guaranteed to be decent. I don't think it will reproduce PoE numbers but I would be very surprised if it hasn't sold at least 300,000 PC copies in two years time. RtwP is a reasonably well liked genre that doesn't have that many releases (DA:I in 2014 and PoE last year).

When it goes to consoles it will probably do better than WL2 did, and at least competitive with D:OS.

That being said, there will have to be some 33% off sales before it really starts moving.

Ignatius Reilly

Scholar
If this is a cash grab, it's a fairly inspired one. More inspired than Modern Warfare in any case. Though that's a low bar.

I mean, they're actually tackling the whole, "What if you were evil!?" question people constantly ask. (Some people. I've seen them.)

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Does anyone post on official company forums these days? I've only ever looked at WEG's and inXile's, and they're both eternally dead very low traffic.

Also, do you really think there are people who backed PoE and haven't heard of Tyranny?

[EDIT: For example, there are 293 threads (many quite dense) in Primordia's Steam forum and around 150 (many quite dense) on the GOG forum, but around 100 on WEG's forum, each maybe a post or two long.]

Even if you don't visit the official forums, it's visibility and trust. You know why companies are so obsessed about getting their brands in adds? No one sees an add and buys something, but being bombarded with the adds creates a brand familiarity. Officials forums often have a similar effect. When your official forums are sending you off to another company's forum, it's a bit fucked.

Don't know about that. Google/Facebook keeps showing me sports jackets I've browsed and I keep buying them.

If this is a cash grab, it's a fairly inspired one. More inspired than Modern Warfare in any case. Though that's a low bar.

I mean, they're actually tackling the whole, "What if you were evil!?" question people constantly ask. (Some people. I've seen them.)

Well, I mean, popular culture in general is a big cash grab and popular culture has beaten out pretty much every other variety of culture in the 21st century. Even ancient strongholds like theater are doing their absolute best to be as trendy as possible, therefore crossing the event horizon into popular culture. It was more or less a foregone conclusion when they started making Disney movies into Broadway shows.

So our senses feel like we are constantly being assaulted by cash grabs because we are.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'll be surprised if Tyranny sells worse/slower than Wasteland 2. It does have the Fantasy Advantage. Planescape Torment sold better than Fallout after all.

I'll be surprised if Tyranny sells worse/slower than Wasteland 2. It does have the Fantasy Advantage. Planescape Torment sold better than Fallout after all.

Nn, there's also the Blackguards factor. Blackguards sold way above its pay grade partly because it released in the autumn before the spring of a bunch of popular KickStarter releases. So Tyranny may be used to satiate the appetites of anyone who is waiting for D:OS 2 and T:ToN.

Again, 300,000 in two years is an at least number. It could catch on the same way Dragonfall did.

Last edited:

Sannom

Augur
When it goes to consoles it will probably do better than WL2 did, and at least competitive with D:OS.
If it goes to console, you mean. Aside from the hurdle of RTWP, there is also the fact that the game seems a bit too generous with active abilities.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Final video dev diary:

In this final episode, gamers will see how the many design elements of Tyranny come into play – from the companions to spell creation, reputation, combat, and beyond. The video shows all of these systems in action, and will prepare players to experience the game itself when it launches next week on Thursday, November 10, 2016.

Ignatius Reilly

Scholar
There's so much cool shit in that video that the Codex will absolutely love to hate.

lol Flying archers. Sure, why not?

A MAN kicks a WOMAN off a tall tower at the end of the clip, an attempt to appeal to the Codex perhaps?

Last edited:

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Scarlet chorus really does sound like these lads:

They were armed and maintained by the government, but did not receive pay and did not wear uniforms or distinctive badges. They were motivated to fight mostly by expectations of plunder. Though the majority of troops fought on foot, some troops rode on horseback. Because of their lack of discipline, they were incapable of undertaking major military operations, but were useful for other tasks such as reconnaissance and outpost duty. However, their uncertain temper occasionally made it necessary for the Turkish regular troops to disarm them by force. [...] The bashi-bazouk were notorious for being brutal and undisciplined, thus giving the term its second, colloquial meaning of "undisciplined bandit" in many languages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bashi-bazouk

Last edited:

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
lol Flying archers. Sure, why not?

It's magic wielding archers. It's skillbased system. Everything is possible.
A MAN kick's a WOMAN off a tall tower at the end of the clip, an attempt to appeal to the Codex perhaps?

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Ignatius Reilly

Scholar
I wonder if kicking women off tall building's is a Spire perk? Like there's just a gaggle of them up there waiting to be kicked off.

I am, for the record, happy to see flying archers. It's about time. Still looks funny. Or cool. I can't really decide.

Also, is anyone else kind of glad this game's only 25 hours?

WL2/PoE, as much as I enjoyed them got a bit exhausting after 400th battle. Like I get it already. WL2 more so, I can only open so many safes and knock down so many doors.

Last edited:
I wonder if kicking women off tall building's is a Spire perk? Like there's just a gaggle of them up there waiting to be kicked off.

I am, for the record, happy to see flying archers. It's about time. Still looks funny. Or cool. I can't really decide.

Also, is anyone else kind of glad this game's only 25 hours?

WL2/PoE, as much as I enjoyed them got a bit exhausting after 400th battle. Like I get it already. WL2 more so, I can only open so many safes and knock down so many doors.

I am definitely glad, although I'll only believe it when I see it.

Prime Junta

It's not a cash grab. More like somebody's pet idea that got the internal greenlight because they had the engine ready and something of a captive market. Certainly cheap to make, but that means they were able to take a few creative risks -- the off-the-beaten-track Bronze Age pseudo-Hellenic setting for one thing, Evil Won for another.

(Shame about the streamlined mechanics. If they hadn't done that, I would be really hyped about this, as it is I'm intrigued and will almost certainly play it... which is of course enough for them to get my shekels, which matters for them.)

Fairfax

Arcane
Got a review code. I'll ask Paradox if first impressions are ok before the embargo. Don't want to get blacklisted. :M

Fairfax

Arcane
Got a review code. I'll ask Paradox to see if first impressions are ok before the embargo. Don't want to get blacklisted. :M

How'd you get it?
Friend has a YouTube channel.
Codex should definitely ask for a code, by the way. Paradox PR replied quickly and barely asked questions. It's not a big channel either, so if they don't give the Codex a code, it'll be for different reasons. +M

Sannom

Augur
Got a review code. I'll ask Paradox if first impressions are ok before the embargo. Don't want to get blacklisted. :M
Someone on the Canard PC boards posted the terms of the NDA :

- Review embargo is set for 6am Pacific Time / 2pm GMT on Thursday, November 10th.
This embargo holds for any content that is a formal review and includes a rating or score of the game, including articles and videos.

- Let's Play/streaming embargo is set for 6am PT / 2pm GMT on Tuesday, November 8th.

Yes, you can record or stream content ahead of launch! However, for Let's Play videos and streams there are certain conditions:
Once you reach
Vendrien's Well Citadel and finish the battle in Ascension Hall
, you may not stream or publish video content beyond that section. You will know you have reached this point because there will be a rather significant event involving a
pillar of light.
lapinsmilecn5.png
Once the game has launched on November 10th, you may feel free to stream or publish video from any portion of the game.
This is a story driven game; we kindly ask that you post/mention a spoiler warning at the beginning of any video you create or have "Spoilers" listed in the title for your Twitch stream.

It seems that you can actually post a full-fledged review as long as you don't rate the game? Or am I misreading something?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I guess you could, but most websites wouldn't do that since they want to get the release day clicks. They do sometimes publish "early impressions" pieces before the proper review.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom