Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Ultima Underworld-inspired dungeon crawler Monomyth is coming to Kickstarter

Mortmal

Arcane
Siveon fuck you ! Is spelling right ?

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ah cmon Mortmal don't be a butthurt bitch. You are an ok poster otherwise.

Anyway I think bad spelling was for your punctuation. You use french commas where one leaves a space before a comma, this is not done in English. Looks weird.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
They put spaces only before certain punctuation marks, namely those that look strange or are composed of two different parts ("!", "?", ":", and ";").

I think it's important to know your enemies and how their communication works.

Nyast

Cipher
I did not criticize him. I also did not order 8M copies for a broken CB2077.

I merely recalled how I gave 15$ to Simon Roth so that he can work on his academic career and release a broken piece of software.

You said it was a pipe dream and you're stigmatizing him based on your other negative experience. Well, that pipe dream already had an alpha demo and was playable on Steam last year. In fact I streamed it:

.. which was produced while he was writing his thesis and not even working full time. Is there a risk that the game will never get finished and that you'll lose your money ? Of course. If you're that worried, just don't back it up, nobody's forcing you. But spitting on an indy dev and not even giving him the benefit of the doubt despite him producing tangible evidence that he's not all talk ? That is not okay in my book.

Deleted member 7219

Ah cmon Mortmal don't be a butthurt bitch. You are an ok poster otherwise.

Anyway I think bad spelling was for your punctuation. You use french commas where one leaves a space before a comma, this is not done in English. Looks weird.

He’s not an ok poster. He puts people on ignore (and before anyone accuses me of doing it, all mine are in response to them putting me on ignore first - I don’t want to see their posts if they are ignoring mine).

Fuck that bitch.

V_K

Arcane
Character advancement is not a requirement for immersive sims (hence why I didn't say RPG)
I'm not sure I entirely agree. Like, not necessarily in form of stats and skills, but some form of character building - even as basic as gaining powers in Dishonored - has to be in place for a game to support different playstyles.
So the former will have it as an afterthought (i.e. not part of the core design), and the latter has something suspiciously resembling the system in DeathSpunk. Can't say I'm impressed.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm not sure I entirely agree. Like, not necessarily in form of stats and skills, but some form of character building - even as basic as gaining powers in Dishonored - has to be in place for a game to support different playstyles.

The first System Shock and Thief don't have that kind of advancement. The idea is to give the player a bunch of different tools to solve problems, not to necessarily force them into choosing which tools they have access to.

So the former will have it as an afterthought (i.e. not part of the core design), and the latter has something suspiciously resembling the system in DeathSpunk. Can't say I'm impressed.

Peripeteia is doing things the smart Christina Norman/hypothetical Josh Sawyer way and making sure they have solid core gameplay first, then figuring out ways of making character customization/advancement interesting. It's not a pen and paper game (and Warren Spector, one of the godfathers of immersive sims, had a lot of disdain for video games that emulated the pen and paper way).

V_K

Arcane
The first System Shock and Thief don't have that kind of advancement.
In SS1, hardware attachments have this function, sorta-kinda. I haven't played Thief.
Warren Spector, one of the godfathers of immersive sims, had a lot of disdain for video games that emulated the pen and paper way
Which is kinda funny, because if you consider that the whole point of immersive sim is improvisation and player freedom, they get a whole lot closer to emulating the core of PnP gameplay than traditional CRPGs.

Dr Schultz

Augur
Which is kinda funny, because if you consider that the whole point of immersive sim is improvisation and player freedom, they get a whole lot closer to emulating the core of PnP gameplay than traditional CRPGs.

Yes, but don't say it too loud.

Having played an actual RPG identifies you as a suspicious person here around

Gargaune

Magister
The first System Shock and Thief don't have that kind of advancement. The idea is to give the player a bunch of different tools to solve problems, not to necessarily force them into choosing which tools they have access to.
Yes, this might be oversimplifying it, but the Immersive Sim is a very particular kind of Action-Adventure game at its coe. While most of them also feature typical RPG systems for good reason, I'd say they're not an absolute requirement (e.g. Thief).

Didn't Spector once say that emulating tabletop's manner of creative problem-solving was an explict aspiration for Deus Ex? Or am I confusing him with someone else?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
.. which was produced while he was writing his thesis and not even working full time. Is there a risk that the game will never get finished and that you'll lose your money ? Of course. If you're that worried, just don't back it up, nobody's forcing you. But spitting on an indy dev and not even giving him the benefit of the doubt despite him producing tangible evidence that he's not all talk ? That is not okay in my book.

I did not spit on him. And no one has to give people benefit of the doubt, we are not in school anymore but in the real world.

I have created demos myself which were using state of the art 3D graphics. It's not that hard these days. Most programmers with enough skill are able to produce a demo of a game they would like to make, but that does not make a game.

How much playtime would you say was in the demo you played, realistically? How many different enemies are there to fight against?

There are tons of free games on steam that look ok but no one plays them because they are a mere shells. Their makers decided that they were not able to continue working on them but they were too good to be discarded. That's fine but tbh I could not be assed even to install a prototype were i just walk around in a dungeon and push levers, or fight against the same 2 monsters from an asset store. And it angers me when people monetize a sample app via kickstarter because they see potential for a cash cow, and then slowly vanish from the face of the Earth. It is simply too obvious that most kickstarter devs are doing exactly this, so I will not be silenced with you making the same old arguments for the 500th time.

Also I did not want to say it first. But I read in the Steam forum that the game is already overdue and he has postponed release in 2019 and again in 2020 and people are already making threads asking whats going on. In fact the Steam forum is already a powder keg waiting to be lit. I do not accuse him that he lied but he seems to have a problem making realistic plans.

Just to make it clear. I do not say RatTower is a liar or will not finish what he started. I just do not see how this is going to work, and when someone comes with a business plan in which he lists examination dates, and a thesis which is basically a fulltime job. I would ask him to come back when he has a proper plan.

Nyast

Cipher
There's about 2 hours of playtime in the demo, about 4 enemy types and it's already more polished than some AAA games I've played, but that was from a year ago so it's not all fresh in my memory.

How can the game be overdue ? Rattower never announced a release date in the first place. You also keep mentioning that thesis as an argument that he'll never complete the project, when, again, he's completing it next month and will work on the game full time afterwards. As for a "proper plan", that's exactly what he's posted in this update, so I really do not understand your point. His plan is pretty clear to me: "finish my thesis in a month, start working on this project full time, make a KS and use the funds to finance some extra content". I mean, what else are you expecting ? His game is already up and functional, he has the design, the tools and parts of the content already. I do not find it unrealistic that in a year or two working full-time he could ramp up on content and complete the game.

Again, the problem I have with your "arguments" is that you're treating one negative experience you've had and extrapolating it to everybody else. "One day I got scammed by a black man, therefore all black men are scammers". That's exactly what you're doing here and I find that disgusting.

Burning Bridges

There's about 2 hours of playtime in the demo, about 4 enemy types and it's already more polished than some AAA games I've played, but that was from a year ago so it's not all fresh in my memory.

Then why kickstarter? Just release the thing E/A and good luck to you

Again, the problem I have with your "arguments" is that you're treating one negative experience you've had and extrapolating it to everybody else. "One day I got scammed by a black man, therefore all black men are scammers". That's exactly what you're doing here and I find that disgusting.

That's fine with me, especially as you are intellectually dishonest in deliberately twisting things I never said. I am just here to lower expectations a little while you try to raise them. If the game is indeed close to completion and "better than some AAA games" then what difference does my post do?

Who are you btw, and how did you get to play the demo?

Last edited:

Gargaune

Magister
The large number bad spelling ratings is mostly because we have a high proportion of autists.
number of bad spelling ratings

Then why kickstarter? Just release the thing E/A and good luck to you
What makes Early Access more trustworthy than a Kickstarter with a demo? Genuine question here since I don't know the details, does EA feature some additional binding terms that guarantee satisfactory progress any further than Kickstarter? My impression's been that EA entries tend to be farther along than your typical Kickstarter pitch, but that there's still no inherent security against merely box-ticking features.

Burning Bridges

Because usually Early Access titles are more realistic with their pricing, and for a generic demo with minimal gameplay that would under 5 dollar, often such demos are completely free.
And of course everyone can judge the software theirselves.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom