Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail builds. Let me post my fav one to get going.

Sheepherder

Augur
iron grip is to be able use spears with riot gear, which has shields which prohibit the use of hammers and normally spears. The two weapon slots in inventory are separate.

Sheepherder

Augur
imo first spec. into. psionic mania, then premeditation, then Neural Overclocking.
psi crit chance is meh nowadays. with survival instincts, psychosis and focus stim it's easy to get 65%. More would be nice to have, but with a specced psionic mania and Limited Temporal Increment it's easy to have your big nukes guarantee crit as they come off CD.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

Sheepherder

Augur
  1. You gonna use bursts?
  2. Ambush doesn't work with shotguns.
  3. You're maxing stealth, why interloper?
  4. If Gun Nut is your only crafting feat then it's not worth 4 points in INT.
  5. With max PER Leading Shot is not needed, unless you're playing Dominating and even then it's mostly for midgame.
  6. Blindsiding is meh, even as a alpha-strike feat and even with smoke powder bombs.
  7. Don't spec into survival instincts. Crit% is piss easy to get with headgear, drugs, food and armor.
  8. Pellet mayhem is meh.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
  1. You gonna use bursts?
  2. Ambush doesn't work with shotguns.
  3. You're maxing stealth, why interloper?
  4. If Gun Nut is your only crafting feat then it's not worth 4 points in INT.
  5. With max PER Leading Shot is not needed, unless you're playing Dominating and even then it's mostly for midgame.
  6. Blindsiding is meh, even as a alpha-strike feat and even with smoke powder bombs.
  7. Don't spec into survival instincts. Crit% is piss easy to get with headgear, drugs, food and armor.
  8. Pellet mayhem is meh.
1. No im not gonna use burst/combat shotguns
2. Ok didnt know that
3. Because it helps with sneaking, you move faster, plus some small amount of MP
4. I wanted to add skinner too for rathound infused armor
5. Im playing dominating
6. Blindsinding is good its 15% more damage on opening, plus i have spare feats
7. You can reliably[meaning always] get 14[reckless and scrutinous]+5[base]+15/20[seeker lens] without much gear sacrifice. That's 34-39% crit, way too low. For additional +10% you have to forgo tactical vests and go rathound infused armor, another 5 is from food[situational], another 15 is from focus stim. So under ideal conditions you get additional 30% and that's something you will crit 2/3 of time. With survival instincts you crit 2/3 without sacrifice, and 100% with ease, considering you can stack pellet mayhem after first alpha strike.
8. Pellet Mayhem is good fighting few enemies.

The other route is go low condition/intelligence, high per, high agility. But blitz really only is useful for melee char that can get MP from doing hits.

I heard pefect scattering is broken and deal only 20-40 damage. IS that true? That would be completely useless when you deal upward of 500 dmg late game, and use 12/6 shots.

Ive dropped ambush for flight response, it synergizes with survival instincts and high mobility.

Last edited:

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

Sixth Shell, Kneecap Shot, Pellet Mayhem, Barrel Stare are perks for Shotgun builds.

What build are you trying to do?

Pump action shotguns.

Ok here are revised builds
Survival instincts oriented
https://underrail.info/build/?HgUFB...AAAAAAAGExOWLCsB7CkMKPwphLwpbChRkdJnvCpMK1378
Crafting oriented[skinner for better rathound leather], power management[better shields], the rest is almost same as earlier
https://underrail.info/build/?HgUFB...AAAAAbABDwrUmMRk5wrAewpbCkMKPwphLwqTChVNdKd-_

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Sixth Shell, Kneecap Shot, Pellet Mayhem, Barrel Stare are perks for Shotgun builds.

Pump action shotguns.

https://underrail.info/build/?HgUFB...AAAAAAAGExOWLCsB7CkMKPwphLwpbChRkdJnvCpMK1378
Crafting oriented[skinner for better rathound leather], power management[better shields], the rest is almost same as earlier
https://underrail.info/build/?HgUFB...AAAAAbABDwrUmMRk5wrAewpbCkMKPwphLwqTChVNdKd-_

Both builds are a mess and viable at the same time.

Parabalus

Arcane
5. Im playing dominating

Sheepherder has it right, it's very useful early-mid, when you still don't have enough CC to stun melee range targets, or enough aim to hit them reliably. Since you don't have PSI I'd def take it.

Shotguns have hard-capped THC depending on distance, so targets further off, where Leading Shot could be useful will, will run into it.

I wanted to add skinner too for rathound infused armor

Prolly something better to spend, does it add even 3%?

I think you'll have more fun with the SI build.

Shotguns are potent so you don't have to min-max even on DOM, but you did so it'll be smooth.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

Pump action shotguns.

Why mess? They are pretty much minmaxed, one thing i don't know
https://underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=5751.0

I dont want to play any hybrid build, just shotgun, and not combat shotgun! I don't want tin can build, i want agile shotgun hobo. I could get +1 in dexterity to get grenadier but...meh if you go into grenadier and high throwing might as well go then three pointer, but thats another +1 in dex. Though +1 in dex gives you quick tinkering, but QT is less and less viable toward the endgame.

Edit: Im really thinking about grenadier, that's 100% more damage from grenades[4 turn vs 2 turn cooldown]. Since i already have chemistry and throwing, i can drop skinner that would only yield me 2 additional crit chance, for +1 in dex/-1 per and grenadier. Though -1 per is 10% less weapon damage, compared to grenade strength even on mkv, that's like 20-25% grenade damage.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane

Pump action shotguns.

Why mess? They are pretty much minmaxed, one thing i don't know
https://underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=5751.0

I dont want to play any hybrid build, just shotgun, and not combat shotgun! I don't want tin can build, i want agile shotgun hobo. I could get +1 in dexterity to get grenadier but...meh if you go into grenadier and high throwing might as well go then three pointer, but thats another +1 in dex. Though +1 in dex gives you quick tinkering, but QT is less and less viable toward the endgame.

Styg confirmed somewhere that Fragmented Chaos doesn't work with Critical Power.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Styg confirmed somewhere that Fragmented Chaos doesn't work with Critical Power.

He said it was bug, but he left it be. Maybe it has changed since? I havent followed the game patches since the release of expansion[ive bought it back then and havent played since then].

If fragmented chaos doesn't work with critical power its still better to spec into critical power[+20% damage over base 20%] than into survival instincts[critical damage depending on buckshot count -usually 16-18%]

Last edited:

Sheepherder

Augur
2. Ok didnt know that
3. Because it helps with sneaking, you move faster, plus some small amount of MP
4. I wanted to add skinner too for rathound infused armor
5. Im playing dominating
6. Blindsinding is good its 15% more damage on opening, plus i have spare feats
7. You can reliably[meaning always] get 14[reckless and scrutinous]+5[base]+15/20[seeker lens] without much gear sacrifice. That's 34-39% crit, way too low. For additional +10% you have to forgo tactical vests and go rathound infused armor, another 5 is from food[situational], another 15 is from focus stim. So under ideal conditions you get additional 30% and that's something you will crit 2/3 of time. With survival instincts you crit 2/3 without sacrifice, and 100% with ease, considering you can stack pellet mayhem after first alpha strike.
8. Pellet Mayhem is good fighting few enemies.

The other route is go low condition/intelligence, high per, high agility. But blitz really only is useful for melee char that can get MP from doing hits.

I heard pefect scattering is broken and deal only 20-40 damage. IS that true? That would be completely useless when you deal upward of 500 dmg late game, and use 12/6 shots.

Ive dropped ambush for flight response, it synergizes with survival instincts and high mobility.
1. If not, Ferryman has a unique double shotgun for sale which is perfect for Sixth Shell.
3. It's such a tertiary QoL feat. Is it really worth putting points into agility just for that? I get taking 6 Agi for sprint, but a whole stat point just for Interloper?
4. You're gonna go Infused Rathound leather armor in the end? Skinner is not worth it just for that. With the feat, 44q Rat leather+160q super steel you'd get 11% crit chance, with Skinner it would be 13%. Good luck getting 160q super steel.
5. In that case, it's a good feat midgame.
6. I guess it's an okay feat if you already have everything you want.
7. Food is not situational, it has a 20 min duration. Which is as good as permanent. At lvl 26, assuming you take scrutinous, SI and wear infused rat armor - you'll have 80%-85% crit% depending on goggles. I can say from experience, that 85% is fine for most fights. For tough fights, getting it to 100% with focus stim is preferable than spending points on SI specialization. Speccing into Sixth Shell will be better overall.
8. You'll be capping crit chance anyway.

Pefect scattering isn't broken, it's working as intended. It adds a flat 1-2 damage per pellet, regardless of any other damage modifiers such as skill, sixth shell etc. It's just shit.
btw, if you plan to farm Constantine anyway, then Power Managment is not worth it. You can reliably get +150q shield parts from him.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
1. If not, Ferryman has a unique double shotgun for sale which is perfect for Sixth Shell.
3. It's such a tertiary QoL feat. Is it really worth putting points into agility just for that? I get taking 6 Agi for sprint, but a whole stat point just for Interloper?
4. You're gonna go Infused Rathound leather armor in the end? Skinner is not worth it just for that. With the feat, 44q Rat leather+160q super steel you'd get 11% crit chance, with Skinner it would be 13%. Good luck getting 160q super steel.
5. In that case, it's a good feat midgame.
6. I guess it's an okay feat if you already have everything you want.
7. Food is not situational, it has a 20 min duration. Which is as good as permanent. At lvl 26, assuming you take scrutinous, SI and wear infused rat armor - you'll have 80%-85% crit% depending on goggles. I can say from experience, that 85% is fine for most fights. For tough fights, getting it to 100% with focus stim is preferable than spending points on SI specialization. Speccing into Sixth Shell will be better overall.
8. You'll be capping crit chance anyway.

Pefect scattering isn't broken, it's working as intended. It adds a flat 1-2 damage per pellet, regardless of any other damage modifiers such as skill, sixth shell etc. It's just shit.
btw, if you plan to farm Constantine anyway, then Power Managment is not worth it. You can reliably get +150q shield parts from him.

1. Will see, i dont like unqiues because they are weaker than crafted stuff
3. I took agi 7 for Hit and Run. Beside more MP is always better - i cant imagine pure shotgun/tincan build. With AR its doable because it has range, with shotgun everything will run from you. You would need PSI and forcefield for that to work, and then you are pretty vulnerable swarmed by enemies. Blitz could be useful but its a shame it need a whooping 10 agi. Its therefore only for melee builds sadly.
4. That's why i dropped it, and beside i have spare feats for pure shotgun build ;)
7. 20 minutes is nothing when the game is slow as molasse. I run at full speed and 2x in cheat engine and its ok that way. Sometimes i drop speed. 20 minutes in UR is like 5 minutes in real life. Its nothing. I can pop food for a specific encounter but im not willing to use it everytime. Its too time consuming to restock, since barmens have low amount of food.

I still like power management for that 2K shields. It makes tchort fight trivial if PSI/electric tentacle is taken out.

Sheepherder

Augur
1. Will see, i dont like unqiues because they are weaker than crafted stuff
3. I took agi 7 for Hit and Run. Beside more MP is always better - i cant imagine pure shotgun/tincan build. With AR its doable because it has range, with shotgun everything will run from you. You would need PSI and forcefield for that to work, and then you are pretty vulnerable swarmed by enemies. Blitz could be useful but its a shame it need a whooping 10 agi. Its therefore only for melee builds sadly.
4. That's why i dropped it, and beside i have spare feats for pure shotgun build ;)
7. 20 minutes is nothing when the game is slow as molasse. I run at full speed and 2x in cheat engine and its ok that way. Sometimes i drop speed. 20 minutes in UR is like 5 minutes in real life. Its nothing. I can pop food for a specific encounter but im not willing to use it everytime. Its too time consuming to restock, since barmens have low amount of food.

I still like power management for that 2K shields. It makes tchort fight trivial if PSI/electric tentacle is taken out.
Well, since you're not getting psi and won't have contractions (plus it got nerfed), hit and run might be quite good. Keep in mind, that with some luck you can get +30 MP tabis from Constantine.
Barman in Hardcore Bar sells 10 Hardcore Chips per refresh. That's 200 minutes.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Edit: Im really thinking about grenadier, that's 100% more damage from grenades[4 turn vs 2 turn cooldown]. Since i already have chemistry and throwing, i can drop skinner that would only yield me 2 additional crit chance, for +1 in dex/-1 per and grenadier. Though -1 per is 10% less weapon damage, compared to grenade strength even on mkv, that's like 20-25% grenade damage.

Bingo.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Show me your tin can shotgun builds. How to overcome movement penalty with these heavy armors. Boot springs and armor sloping are fine, but the penalty is still there, unless you are making light metal armor ie. not reinforced. I wonder if reinforcing is even worth the additional cost. Is there any way to have at least some viable MP like 30 with 95% effective armor penalty? Only sprint is unaffected AFAIK.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Guys, please take a loot at my rough first draft sniper build:
https://underrail.info/build/?HgUGC...DUWfjMCQTFLJsKFwqTCtX_CrSvip74K4q-8AuK3sAPfvw
Maybe it's stupid to dump Int for hybrid build now? No way for squeezing one more PSI school with 3 invoke slots :D
Planning to use shotgun as a second weapon so not sure about feats choice. Are SMG also viable with 6 dex?

SMGs are not viable without feats[spec ops] and with low dexterity.
If you want shotguns i would go with something like that
https://underrail.info/build/?HgUDB...jMCMUvChcKkwrXCrStTwocpJh3ip74K4q-8AuK3sAPfvw

Open with snipe, then molotov to get ambush.

jackofshadows

Magister
Yeah, I guess Gun Nut that important after all, but Power Management, why that?
Electrokinetic Imprint instead of traps, make sense ;) Depot A is no problem with stealth anyway.
Biology instead of Chemistry? Because of no Grenadier I guess so.
Why do you prefer so much persuasion?
And I really like Interlooper actually, thought about squeezing it too.

Thanks for your version, I like it more than my grenadier sniper since PSI involved after all. I'll think a bit more and probably will try +/- yours on dom with oddity since lockpick/hacking are there.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, I guess Gun Nut that important after all, but Power Management, why that?
Electrokinetic Imprint instead of traps, make sense ;) Depot A is no problem with stealth anyway.
Biology instead of Chemistry? Because of no Grenadier I guess so.
Why do you prefer so much persuasion?
And I really like Interlooper actually, thought about squeezing it too.

Thanks for your version, I like it more than my grenadier sniper since PSI involved after all. I'll think a bit more and probably will try +/- yours on dom with oddity since lockpick/hacking are there.

You can still buy grenades. You can drop persuasion and get some chemistry, the treshold are 69 for mkiv and 112 for MKV. Anything above is a waste. Don't know how useful grenadier can be for sniper, you already have psi, ambush. Grenadier is a heavy investment, because for a sniper/shotgun build dexterity is a wasted stat. If you want to go SMG/sniper then you can get commando/spec ops. Check your sniper setup, your temporal/adrenaline AP left and see how much dexterity treshold you would need for jaguar with rapid reloader bursts[8 ap base, 16 ap burst]. Each dexterity over 5 lessen the AP cost by 3%.

jackofshadows

Magister
So, after finishing on DOM, this would be my build if I'd start over: https://underrail.info/build/?HgUDB...CfjNLwoVTKcKHwojCpMK1wq0rKOKnvgrir7wE4q-9Ad-_

105 effective merc, with persuasion it's lower ofc. I went with 110 effective persuasion (90 + 2*10 piece of heartbreaker serpent skin armor) but honestly, it's a waste. Persuasion could be useful in the early game at best, then the warehouse obviously can be done with stealth, just later on and
why would you wanna skip IRIS assault? It's not too tough
It can be used with pirates but it was fun to kill'em all.

Pump more in throwing early instead also quite important or you can invest 15-40 in chemistry just for fun and convinience in the early game, again (or even till mkiv-mkv treshholds like was stated above).

Electrokinetic imprint is an awesome tool for this build and forcefield is still useful sometimes but it can be ditched all together. TM can be a bit higher (70) for stasis just in case since defensive options are almost non-existent.

Feat wise the only change compare to my real build is a Sixth Shell instead of Interlooper. Now, whilist former is a very good feat, and shotgun as a support weapon is really good, I used it exactly that way: as a support weapon so feat doesn't work much, actually. So interlooper would be better just to help overcome early game and to make the entire playthrough more pleasant.

Tailoring can be lower, you just need that sweet fucking infused ratdogmeat leather: offence is the best defence in this case for sure (not to mention thicc energy shield though). I really wanted to craft something fancy like regenerating nano vest but... it's not worth it. You just have to kill faster, that's the point.

Effective 70 Biology simply to craft hypercerebrix and take it to the DC in case get lucky with components like I did (didn't craft anything actually though, no need at all). Other than that - mass focus stims production for convenience sake and that's it (also few aegises if didn't get lucky with the exp vendor).

So, the rest of skill points could be invested in throwing or to your liking, doesn't really matter.

jackofshadows

Magister
After some more thought I can tell that Opportunist is a very good alternative to Interlooper at 2 or 4 lvl. Also good idea would be put 2 more DEX at PER expense as was suggested in the main thread and take Strafe instead of Power Management or as a last perk/sooner instead of it because most of the time, a spearhead is the all you need, really.

Also, I forgot to properly thank Stavrophore who gave me first draft of this build
rating_salute.gif

Anyway, I'm thinking about trying out this or something similiar:

I didn't check changelogs yet, there wasnt much changes to chemical stuff, right?

Ruchy

Scholar
Hey Guys, on my first play through on Normal with Odyssey exp, this is my current build at level 10. https://underrail.info/build/?CgMHBwQKAwg3KAAALS08LS0ACi0tAAAtAAAAAAAAACRTGTlNHTffvw
Aside from a few missteps in Core attributes are there any glaringly obvious traps I'm going to fall in? mainly using SMGs and pistols/energy pistols with tac vests, tazors and things to support.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom