Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Well, the idea is that you take out a huge chunk of the enemies in an ambush, then perhaps flee/take single shots afterward. You're front-loading for alpha strike. If you're doubling up with traps, I imagine this would work well in many situations. My experience with sniping is fairly limited and goes way back to my earliest Early Access experimenting, though.

Also, you can cram another adrenaline shot to remove fatigue.

Sykar

Arcane
I cannot use traps besides the PSI one and bear traps. No need for traps though when you can roast and CC them like no tomorrow. Also I can use the extra AP for PSI abilites instead of shoting with a bigger gun.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Here it is folks, the "hint" that points you to the solution to one of the critical puzzles in DC:

f65520412f.png

:lol:

Just put the fucking thing on the actual map. This is the most foolish "puzzle" in the game by a wide margin.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
You will probably want to invest in either Throwing or Traps, or psi if you like, although that's a strain on base attribute allocation. One offensive skill alone is rarely enough for the tougher encounters.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
So through countless trial and error, save/loading, wading through respawning Faceless, robots and burrowers, backtracking and illogical puzzles I FINALLY
got the bio grenades, I got all the neccessary parts, and rubbed my hands as I prepared to open the gate, save and go to sleep.
Only for the lock to beep once and do nothing. Turns out that I ALSO NEED A FUCKING KEYCARD
Which is in the residential complex
Which isn't currently powered
Which means... that's right. I have to go all the way back to the power station, power it up, and go back - through all the faceless respawning patrols and gaunts I left behind while hurrying to the gate. And then I'm gonna have to do it AGAIN to power the research complex to use mutagen analyzer and solve the mutagen puzzle.
:x
FUCK. THIS. I'm going to sleep.
P.S. I can't imagine somebody playing this without reading walkthrough "spoilers" in the wiki or the forums. Only in this case they are not spoilers, they are remedy, albeit not a very effective one, against the utter boring shitty TORTURE that is this part of the game

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I figured out everything on my own except

the inhaling spores nonsense. I also never quite reached IRIS at Arke; the two power nodes at the front of the sanctum sanctorum remain powered, despite my deactivating all the power boxes and security elsewhere in the complex. I flipped the two power switches in the burrower courtyard and in Arke's basement on and off, fucked around in the basement a lot trying to do something to the consoles, and messed with the power management console, but to no avail. I assume all four nodes must be deactivated and unpowered in order to reach the AI.

I don't seem to need what I assume is the AI core from Arke to power the gate maintenance bot, though, since my Mechanics was high enough (and/or I had the manual and tool kit) to repair the gate on my own. If someone could spoil me on the Arke solution, that would be neat.

Currently I have all of the mutagens on the reagent list, as well as the unlisted, fatal Exitus-1; I am assuming at this point that Exitus-2 must be synthesized from the other mutagens. I've sequenced them all in the research lab, recorded their sequences, and I also have screenshots of Dr. Mali's explanation of basic mutagenics.

ArchAngel

Arcane
So through countless trial and error, save/loading, wading through respawning Faceless, robots and burrowers, backtracking and illogical puzzles I FINALLY
got the bio grenades, I got all the neccessary parts, and rubbed my hands as I prepared to open the gate, save and go to sleep.
Only for the lock to beep once and do nothing. Turns out that I ALSO NEED A FUCKING KEYCARD
Which is in the residential complex
Which isn't currently powered
Which means... that's right. I have to go all the way back to the power station, power it up, and go back - through all the faceless respawning patrols and gaunts I left behind while hurrying to the gate. And then I'm gonna have to do it AGAIN to power the research complex to use mutagen analyzer and solve the mutagen puzzle.
:x
FUCK. THIS. I'm going to sleep.
P.S. I can't imagine somebody playing this without reading walkthrough "spoilers" in the wiki or the forums. Only in this case they are not spoilers, they are remedy, albeit not a very effective one, against the utter boring shitty TORTURE that is this part of the game
There are no spoilers on the wiki :(
And even getting complete answers from the forums was a puzzle of its own to solve :D

ArchAngel

Arcane

the inhaling spores nonsense. I also never quite reached the AI at Arke; the two power nodes at the front remain powered, despite my deactivating all the power boxes and security elsewhere in the complex. I flipped the two power switches in the in the burrower courtyard and basement on and off, and fucked around in the basement a lot trying to do something to the consoles, but to no avail. I assume all four must be deactivated in order to reach the AI.

I don't seem to need what I assume is the AI core from Arke to power the gate maintenance bot, though, since my Mechanics was high enough (and/or I had the manual and tool kit) to repair the gate on my own. If someone could spoil me on the Arke solution, that would be neat.

Currently I have all of the mutagens on the reagent list, as well as the unlisted, fatal Exitus-2; I am assuming at this point that Exitus-2 must be synthesized from the other mutagens. I've sequenced them all in the research lab, recorded their sequences, and I also have screenshots of Dr. Mali's explanation of basic mutagenics.
For Core you need to open the door on one of the consoles.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron

I used the consoles to open the door to the room containing IRIS and the orange facial display, but it is sealed inside of four walls within that room and I didn't figure out how to breach them.

ArchAngel

Arcane

I used the consoles to open the door to the room containing IRIS and the orange facial display, but it is sealed inside of four walls within that room and I didn't figure out how to breach them.
There are four white doors you have to open and enter inside and flip switches.

hell bovine

Arcane

the inhaling spores nonsense. I also never quite reached IRIS at Arke; the two power nodes at the front of the sanctum sanctorum remain powered, despite my deactivating all the power boxes and security elsewhere in the complex. I flipped the two power switches in the burrower courtyard and in Arke's basement on and off, fucked around in the basement a lot trying to do something to the consoles, and messed with the power management console, but to no avail. I assume all four nodes must be deactivated and unpowered in order to reach the AI.

Currently I have all of the mutagens on the reagent list, as well as the unlisted, fatal Exitus-1; I am assuming at this point that Exitus-2 must be synthesized from the other mutagens. I've sequenced them all in the research lab, recorded their sequences, and I also have screenshots of Dr. Mali's explanation of basic mutagenics.
Not to spoil too much, but you're wrong about the puzzle. Funny thing is, I've guessed the possible solution for that, even though I am still trudging along, trying to find all the parts for the gate. As for the doors at the plant, they are tricky, because
they are the same grey as the walls, and will open once you stand next to them, but only in a specific sequence.

ST'Ranger

Augur
After beating DC for the first time, I started to read various outlets to see what different places thought of Underrail. Aside from the usual "killed by sentry bots with infinite chainstun 0/10", "catching hoppers is literally impossible for my character", and various DC complaints, I noticed a very odd pattern of questions surrounding a particular build. Now, a lot of people will go around saying "x build is just total garbage" etc. That is quite common and expected. "Psi is terrible because you run out of mana in one turn", "knives are terrible because Agility vs. Strength and I can't do arithmetic" etc. But on the whole, people were puzzled about the concept of the scientist.

Why
would one make a scientist? And the typical response would be "well, they can make all their gear to be high-quality". And of course the inevitable counter "any character can invest in one or two crafting skills and make their gear too". And let me tell you, it just made no sense to me. Now, I'm in a position where I've played the game so many times that sometimes I feel I take certain things for granted that maybe just aren't all that clear without lots of experience.

So to set the record straight, and to encourage people to use this wonderful build - here is a sample armor I've constructed before so much as stepping foot in Depot A.

forscience.png

Please overlook the garbage flak component - it was the best I could find in the area. Experienced players will note that you can easily kill a Dreadnaught group when equipped with such an armor - and I haven't even entered Depot A.

Scientists benefit early game from having extremely good crafting skills compared to other builds. Scientists can make a full array of high-quality equipment very early on, including MK III grenades which utterly devastate early-game combats. Other builds will settle for a good weapon or maybe armor. Maybe grenades. Or a good set of goggles or headband. Another important consideration, especially very early in the game, is merchant stock. Some builds will be hoping to luck out and get e.g. Super String or Smart modules, but they could easily be disappointed. The scientist can take whatever is available and make high-quality equipment. Even if one piece of the puzzle is missing, the scientist will have a nearly full array of deadly gear available.

Later in the game, the scientist is a fully-kitted death machine with multiple weapon and armor setups to optimize performance for every fight. Most characters are happy here to have a good weapon + armor or a good shield + headpiece etc. The scientist is strolling around with an armory of top-quality gear and combat drugs, limited only by the maximum quality available. I particularly like the pistol-focused scientists because plasma weapons are just fucking cool.

Here's a temporary shield I made for kicks immediately after completing Junkyard (having only visited Junkyard + SGS and absolutely nowhere else).

forscience2.png

A lot of characters would be happy to have that shield for their endgame equipment. To this particular character, it is a construction born purely out of convenience, a hand-me-down that will appear as tattered rags in juxtaposition with the deathkit to come.

If anyone's wondering how to make a scientist, it's really quite simple. You need 7 Intelligence (more is good, but 7 is fine) and devotion to leveling the important crafting skills: Mechanics, Electronics, Chemistry, Tailoring. Might as well throw Hacking in there too. Biology is useful later on but not as much earlier in the game. That's it, use whatever else you like.

Chemistry + Throwing go together. If you're not going for Throwing, leave Chemistry out. Leave some room for those wonderful crafting feats in your build. The only limitation on this build in the later stages of the game is available quality - those feats can hike the quality.

-------------------------

On a side note, all the complaints about how hard DC is without a walkthrough are making me :smug:.

hell bovine

Arcane
If anyone's wondering how to make a scientist, it's really quite simple. You need 7 Intelligence (more is good, but 7 is fine) and devotion to leveling the important crafting skills: Mechanics, Electronics, Chemistry, Tailoring. Might as well throw Hacking in there too. Biology is useful later on but not as much earlier in the game. That's it, use whatever else you like.

Chemistry + Throwing go together. If you're not going for Throwing, leave Chemistry out. Leave some room for those wonderful crafting feats in your build. The only limitation on this build in the later stages of the game is available quality - those feats can hike the quality.
Using your definition even my grenade-throwing mage is a scientist, because she's got high intelligence (should have raised will instead, but it's a first character, happens) and all crafting skills, including chemistry. Frankly, for a scientist I want to see a 10+ intelligence genius build, instead of the usual 7 intelligence plus crafting.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
A lot of characters would be happy to have that shield for their endgame equipment.

Oh, come on, I found a bunch of shields as loot that are much better than that one.
If that looks like end game equipment then the shield I'm able to do (with something like 1400 capacity and 260 for very high) must be insane.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
ST'Ranger Crafting is super-overpowered and dwarfs all of the other skills in the game. In other news, water still wet; story at 11.

My stealth psi guy has Mechanics, Electronics, and Tailoring 120 (and 100 Biology, much good it did me later on), and the gear I can craft is strong as shit. One of my shields has over 1700 capacity with ludicrous resistances, for example.

Not to spoil too much, but you're wrong about the puzzle.

I wasn't wrong about the puzzle per se, just slightly misguided:

After dumping all the containers into the mutagen storage machine (it took me longer than I'd like to admit to figure that out; thought they could be injected directly), and seeing that Exitus-1 is prohibited, it's clear I have to add the right combination of mutagens based on Dr. Mali's lecture to recreate the Exitus-1 sequence and bypass the restriction on injecting it directly.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Using your definition even my grenade-throwing mage is a scientist, because she's got high intelligence (should have raised will instead, but it's a first character, happens) and all crafting skills, including chemistry. Frankly, for a scientist I want to see a 10+ intelligence genius build, instead of the usual 7 intelligence plus crafting.
Well 10+ Int Supports Neural Overload focus. Also your Crafting skills will be much better at all levels and you will always be able to craft anything you find instead of waiting to level up so to raise the skill.

Sykar

Arcane

Well 10+ Int Supports Neural Overload focus. Also your Crafting skills will be much better at all levels and you will always be able to craft anything you find instead of waiting to level up so to raise the skill.

The damage bonus from int applies on the target, not of your own intellect afaik. That's at least how the tooltip reads to me.

ST'Ranger

Augur
Oh, come on, I found a bunch of shields as loot that are much better than that one.
If that looks like end game equipment then the shield I'm able to do (with something like 1400 capacity and 260 for very high) must be insane.

In all my time playing Underrail, I've never looted a Low-Freq shield that good. You must be incredibly lucky. Most looted shields are High-Freq which is pretty useless for characters with very good flak armor. I'm happy to hear that a veteran player can craft better shields than a level 9 character.

Seems like it's a semantic issue to you. The reason one only needs 7 INT is for crafting feats. And honestly, any more is a waste because the available quality of goods does not go high enough to justify 150+ skill. You could go higher INT to get even better skill early game, but then lategame you'd just have a ton of skillpoints to spend on skills that are more penalized because you chose INT over their presiding attribute. I think it depends heavily on what type of character you make, but 7 is the minimum and 7 works perfectly fine as long as you 5/5 every level.

ArchAngel

Arcane

The damage bonus from int applies on the target, not of your own intellect afaik. That's at least how the tooltip reads to me.
Haha, true. I didn't read it well :D
Well in that case, int more than 7 does not have a real combat purpose.

hell bovine

Arcane

Seems like it's a semantic issue to you. The reason one only needs 7 INT is for crafting feats. And honestly, any more is a waste because the available quality of goods does not go high enough to justify 150+ skill. You could go higher INT to get even better skill early game, but then lategame you'd just have a ton of skillpoints to spend on skills that are more penalized because you chose INT over their presiding attribute. I think it depends heavily on what type of character you make, but 7 is the minimum and 7 works perfectly fine as long as you 5/5 every level.
It's not about semantics; I'd really want to hear what makes this character a "scientist" rather than a gunslinger/grenadier/psi user who takes advantage of crafting.
EDIT: For me a scientist in a RPG game is a character created with high intelligence, and not dropped to 7, because "one only needs 7" for crafting feats.

ST'Ranger

Augur

It's not about semantics; I'd really want to hear what makes this character a "scientist" rather than a gunslinger/grenadier/psi user who takes advantage of crafting.

You're absolutely right. Styg needs to add a PhD feat or it's not a real scientist.

hell bovine

Arcane

You're absolutely right. Styg needs to add a PhD feat or it's not a real scientist.

You are the one who is min-maxing a character for powergaming reasons, and then calling them a scientist.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom