Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

I've always assumed that certain types of containers reset their contents after being checked in order to keep the game's save file sizes down to a dull roar, and that this is also why some (empty) containers reset their states... either way, don't put stuff you want to keep in junk piles and barrels.

Either a late "feature" that wasn't applied across the entire game world, or a bug, then, as only a select few containers reset. Makes sense as a feature to keep save file sizes down and to prevent corrupt saves.

edit: forgot to mention; when I say some containers reset, it also means loot. Containers you loot generate the same loot.

Last edited:

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Speaking of dropping items, there should definitely be a trash can function in this game, primarily because I worry that leaving random rags, psi beetle shells, mine casings, etc. scattered around the world will not only bloat save file size but also potentially lead to corrupted saves.
Actually, if you drop stuff in "Junkpiles" they do vanish after a while. I learned this the hard way when I tried using one as a stash while hauling Balor's hammer. (Was the one above Foundry train if it matters).

Styg I'd like to bring this up as I believe certain junkpiles and other containers in some maps are bugged. Their contents consistently and completely reset as soon as you transition to another area and back. The first time this happened to a load of items I stashed in some container, I thought I must have accidentally sold them all upon failing to find them back. Now I know, after having observed it. Want to track these down?

Yes, if you ran across one take a screenshot.

Old One

Arcane
Styg said to keep these secrets to myself, else he would take them away.

Some of those Lurkers are pretty tough, I agree. Unless there's a super-secret area I missed. I'll check again just to be sure. The first time I played the game I was too chicken to explore much of those tunnels until quite a bit later.

I managed to catch all the fish except the Phantom Jelly and the Ghostface before the Faceless invasion.

Has anyone ever...

Helped the Black Eels take over Junkyard before obtaining the Armadillo parts? I don't know whether or not you can get that quest from Silas before you get the parts, but it would be cool. That would be a sneaky way to make the mutant area easier.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I want to be A Dragon Kim!
Traveling base in a train in game set in setting about trains is the only logical house player should have had, I'm surprised it didn't happen. I am surprised there are no cities or some rail nomad tribes living inside moving trains you'd have to track down for secret quests. Could also allow player buy or drive a train-

I...
I kinda like trains.

Last edited:

hilfazer

Scholar
Styg said to keep these secrets to myself, else he would take them away.
Has anyone ever...

Helped the Black Eels take over Junkyard before obtaining the Armadillo parts? I don't know whether or not you can get that quest from Silas before you get the parts, but it would be cool. That would be a sneaky way to make the mutant area easier.

I did during alpha.
When you go to SGS to enlist their help, Gorsky will join the discussion.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ah yeah, I forgot to give my thoughts about DC:

It would be an absolute nightmare without the speedhack.
All and all, pretty good though.

Also, It would be great if there were some signs as to understand which area is which.

And another thing- I think it would be really cool if conversation options that initiate hostilities would give you a bonus to initiative, maybe based on Intimidation. I always get shot to shit everytime I tried it ;_;

Old One

Arcane
I have a simple suggestion that might make fishing slightly better: remove the limits on how many fish merchants will buy from you. It seems kind of silly that Kareem won't buy your whole catch when he's in a town where people are starving, or close to starving. Removing those limits would also keep me from hauling around a bunch of miniheads until I can find more ampules to turn them into blood components I don't need, or until I get to the next tavern keeper who is looking to buy 5 fish, but not 8.

Has anyone ever...

I did during alpha.

Yes, I understand that. In fact, I did it that way this time through because last time everyone mentioned the discussion at SGS would be different if Gorsky hadn't already left for Core City.

What I mean is, can you start that quest before you finish the Depot A part and get the Armadillo chips? Someone - I think it's Blaine - mentions that detonating the bomb under the Depot A gate will also let all the mutants through into Junkyard. I was thinking that if your character was especially deceitful, you could detonate the bomb and start the battle with the Scrappers before you tried exploring much of Depot A. Maybe the mutants would pour out into the battle and be killed by the gangs so you wouldn't have to kill or avoid them yourself inside Depot A.

In other words, can you let the Depot A mutants loose in Junkyard in order to make things easier for yourself?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Something I did caused every single mutant dog to come check out this building in an area of depot A, I closed the door and got the fuck out...

tumblr_nrlw87QiDs1qgdcoko1_500.gif

Love the noise system, really enhances the stealth when it isn't just LoS.
They're still there...call dog rescue:
04C8E622FF052EF4CA2353C43BF4524723689387

hilfazer

Scholar
Has anyone ever...

I did during alpha.

Yes, I understand that. In fact, I did it that way this time through because last time everyone mentioned the discussion at SGS would be different if Gorsky hadn't already left for Core City.

What I mean is, can you start that quest before you finish the Depot A part and get the Armadillo chips? Someone - I think it's Blaine - mentions that detonating the bomb under the Depot A gate will also let all the mutants through into Junkyard. I was thinking that if your character was especially deceitful, you could detonate the bomb and start the battle with the Scrappers before you tried exploring much of Depot A. Maybe the mutants would pour out into the battle and be killed by the gangs so you wouldn't have to kill or avoid them yourself inside Depot A.

In other words, can you let the Depot A mutants loose in Junkyard in order to make things easier for yourself?

Ok, i got it. I dunno if detonating the bomb changes anything in Junkyard but i'm almost sure it won't help with mutants and acid dogs. If you return to Depot A after detonating the bomb mutants and dogs still fully respawn. Maybe number of muties gets reduced but they're not what makes this place hard.

Nines

Learned
I don't really understand the logic behind Precision. I have nearly 200 points in Crossbows and 13 Per and I'm constantly missing targets from 5-10 meters. Usually chance-to-hit is around 80% while standing, and 60-70% while moving. This is simply unbearable.

Also
IDGb.png

ST'Ranger

Augur
Remember that your chance to hit is effected by your enemies' Evasion, not just range / move / close-quarters / crossbow type. Also, depending on what you mean by 10 meters, that's quite far away. The crossbow is fundamentally a short-medium range platform.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I have nearly 200 points in Crossbows and 13 Per and I'm constantly missing targets from 5-10 meters.

Yep, that's Crossbows for you. Crossbows sorely need an inherent scope slot, like sniper rifles, in order to be on par with all of the other weapon categories in the game. A standard scope providing +10% additive accuracy would be a Godsend. It's ludicrous that such a short-range weapon suffers from such low accuracy, Evasion or no Evasion.

Do note that in some particularly dark areas, using night vision can substantially improve your chance to hit.

Crossbows frankly suck, even with most/all crossbow-specific feats. They have synergy with traps, but the thing is, Opportunist is more than enough trap synergy when paired with a gun rather than a crossbow. Any gun category save pistols is far more powerful than crossbows when you've got most/all of the relevant feats. Assault rifles in particular pretty much kill two enemies per turn, and possibly three, once you're up there in levels and feats.

My q120ish Chimera can deal 500+ damage FROM ONE BULLET (out of 7) if it crits during a burst attack. One bullet!

Nines

Learned
Is there any point in destroying
Fort Apogee? Will it tell me who was the traitor among Free Drones?
Remember that your chance to hit is effected by your enemies' Evasion, not just range / move / close-quarters / crossbow type. Also, depending on what you mean by 10 meters, that's quite far away. The crossbow is fundamentally a short-medium range platform.
Google-master told me that modern crossbows have effective range of 30-40 meters.

Yep, that's Crossbows for you. Crossbows sorely need an inherent scope slot, like sniper rifles, in order to be on par with all of the other weapon categories in the game. A standard scope providing +10% additive accuracy would be a Godsend. It's ludicrous that such a short-range weapon suffers from such low accuracy, Evasion or no Evasion.

Do note that in some particularly dark areas, using night vision can substantially improve your chance to hit.

Crossbows frankly suck, even with most/all crossbow-specific feats. They have synergy with traps, but the thing is, Opportunist is more than enough trap synergy when paired with a gun rather than a crossbow. Any gun category save pistols is far more powerful than crossbows when you've got most/all of the relevant feats. Assault rifles in particular pretty much kill two enemies per turn, and possibly three, once you're up there in levels and feats.

My q120ish Chimera can deal 500+ damage FROM ONE BULLET (out of 7) if it crits during a burst attack. One bullet!
Pretty much sums it up.

Pepe-The-Frog-Happy-05.jpg

ST'Ranger

Augur
And a 380 will kill a person just as dead as a 5.56 if aimed correctly. I was referring, of course, to the game mechanics as they are. Crossbows don't work well from across the screen, you're supposed to setup the engagement and initiate out of stealth with big hits and smart utility usage. The real issue is that ARs are a bit too accurate (in terms of balance) at long distance. This would be far more noticeable if the AI was willing to burst fire at longer distances than it currently does. ARs are almost as good as snipers from across the screen, and they have more flexibility because of discrete AP.

Unlike Blaine, I thought crossbows were perfectly fine sans some fuckery in DC - definitely one of my most enjoyable playthroughs post-release.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I have nearly 200 points in Crossbows and 13 Per and I'm constantly missing targets from 5-10 meters.

I don't agree.
I have 95% hit chance vs almost everyone with maxed crossbow skill and 10 Per with a +10% scope when I turn on Night Vision. Then when I stun them, I also have 95% hit chance with my crit strike crossbow.

As for damage, crossbow does OK damage with special attacks but crap damage with standard attack. They got lower base damage then sniper rifles, I don't understand why they also got a penalty vs mechanical DR/DT.
In real life, crossbows pierce better than bullets in close range, especially modern crossbows. Bolts not being considered bullets means little when toughest enemies in the game don't have a special defense vs bullets but a general defense vs mechanical.

Focus on elemental bolts can work, but not in DC where the supply of those is very limited. I brought lots of MK3 Shock Bolts and still almost ran out with no way to replenish them (even with having all crafting skills needed).

Gord

Arcane
So, I'm lvl 21 now (oddity system) and have explored pretty much everything in lower and upper Underrail which is accessible currently without slaughtering entire factions.
I guess it's just a rumor after all that the cap has been raised to lvl 30? Because I don't see how I could make much more than one or at most two additional levels pre-DC.
I'm missing the Free Drones vs Protectorate quest-line and haven't done the quests for Abrams/Quicksilver, also I suppose that a sneaky guy with pickpocketing might have access to some additional oddities. Still, I doubt that would amount to much more than ~30-40XP combined.
Anyway, Currently trying to stock up on some armor piercing bullets before departing for DC, but the merchants usually have at most ~5-10 of each kind.
:negative:

Unbeliever

Learned
Is there any point in destroying
Fort Apogee? Will it tell me who was the traitor among Free Drones?

I didn't destroy FA yet, but I find traitor like this:

After I spoke with everyone in FD base about situation and their traitor suspicions, I went to Hanging Rat Bar and talked with amnesiac girl. This time, I didn't need to pass any persuasion check to hear her story.

ArchAngel

Arcane
So, I'm lvl 21 now (oddity system) and have explored pretty much everything in lower and upper Underrail which is accessible currently without slaughtering entire factions.
I guess it's just a rumor after all that the cap has been raised to lvl 30? Because I don't see how I could make much more than one or at most two additional levels pre-DC.
I'm missing the Free Drones vs Protectorate quest-line and haven't done the quests for Abrams/Quicksilver, also I suppose that a sneaky guy with pickpocketing might have access to some additional oddities. Still, I doubt that would amount to much more than ~30-40XP combined.
Anyway, Currently trying to stock up on some armor piercing bullets before departing for DC, but the merchants usually have at most ~5-10 of each kind.
Nope, lvl 25 is max.

I would suggest you do get to lvl 22 or 23 before you go down.

Gord

Arcane
I would suggest you do get to lvl 22 or 23 before you go down.

Hm, not sure if I'll try to do that, since I don't see how that could be done without a few massacres, which I'm not interested in (call me a larper).
The Quicksilver quests are barred to me now, apparently since I refused Abrams quest in Junkyard, so that leaves only Free Drones/Protectorate, which both seem to be idiots. ;)

I would want to stock up a bit more, though. Craft an item or two, buy some special ammo, stuff like this. If only the merchants would carry more of the stuff I actually need...

Nines

Learned
Show me your oddities.
:keepmymoney:

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape

I don't know why your level is so low for Oddities. I can consistently get to level 24 before descending.

Gord

Arcane
Show me your oddities.
j4BBDYK.png
I'm still missing a couple from CC, I guess. Not sure if they can be obtained without stealing, though.

I don't know why your level is so low for Oddities. I can consistently get to level 24 before descending.

My level seems to have been consistently 1-2 lower than anyone else's apparently. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Then again I didn't have that many difficulties dealing with enemies, so I guess I'm still fine. I'll probably do DC now no matter what, only want to stock up on a bit more armor piercing bullets.

Anyone knows a reliable source for those?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom