Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

ArchAngel

Arcane
Speedhacks are faggy. Kind of ruins the immersion and intention of the game, stealth, combat etc.

Meh. I don't really find the walking speed that slow or the combat. Just fucking get a pair of movement speed boots like Tabi.
I agree, speed hack would totally kill what I just experienced. I decided to blow up some of the rocks with 3 TNT I bought. Then I went exploring in random directions trying to explore all passages. 30 minutes later I was kind of lost (didn't want to retrace my steps back while stealth) and just continued following paths and found myself without TNT to make a passage to known areas. I was also overburdened now and running out of bolts. So I just continued in stealth and got rid of any excess gear I could find. Totally lost ran into Iron gang that totally wrecked me. Terror and fear is now in effect. Continued with stealth and avoidance of combat I found Foundry! Finally safety and metro back to SGS :D

10/10 terror game!
Moving around overburdened with lot of junk to resell ? The devs will send you a personal message in core city :). Had a laugh when i saw that npc.
I had a laugh when I found a manual about taming Rathounds by using your mind written by James S. Tupid :)

Alfons

Prophet
The arguments against the speedhack are pretty damn silly, if you can call a claim an argument in the first place.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
The arguments against the speedhack are pretty damn silly, if you can call a claim an argument in the first place.
Its a singleplayer game anyway, one can play it anyway one finds enjoyable. I have no problem with the default walking speed, or even the one in stealth, but hell, if someone wants to run around maps like Usain Bolt on coke, let them.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Alright, I just went into the gang fight, resulting in the death of Eddy, Silas, and everyone except two Protectorate members.
As is usual with large fights in cRPGs, I looted as much as I could find and sold it, making me the richest man in the Junkyard.
However, nobody really seems to care (about both gang heads having died). I'd imagine this is where the Protectorate assumes direct control, yet when I talk to the ambassador, he still gives me the same old lines. Is there no outcome for the Junkyard where both gangs are eradicated, leaving only the Protectorate to rule?

bati

Scholar
How do you guys play your stealth builds in this game? Do you keep a dedicated sneaking set and change the armor for a decent tactical vest when it's open combat time or do you actively avoid combat until it cannot be avoided?

Tigranes

Arcane
If you're sneaking all the time you're probably using Nimble & sub-15% penalty armour, in which case you'r enot really needing to switch around.

My melee/psi only has 20 stealth, and then when needed swaps into +30 stealth vest, +11 balaclava and +30 cloaking device.

ArchAngel

Arcane
How do you guys play your stealth builds in this game? Do you keep a dedicated sneaking set and change the armor for a decent tactical vest when it's open combat time or do you actively avoid combat until it cannot be avoided?
My tactical vest also gives me +22 to stealth and it is only 10% armor check penalty :)

bati

Scholar
But you can't really get any decent DT with sub 15% armor. Do you just rely on shield to carry you through fights? I only have a shitty one which depletes in one or two enemy rounds at most.

I'm starting to realise that early access version was much easier :lol:

Tigranes

Arcane
If you're a stealthy Nimble fighter, why wouldn't you jack up your dodge and evasion, and control the situation so you're not getting hit very often?

Alfons

Prophet
I use infused siphoner set for combat anyway. High evasion value deals with most ranged weapons quite effectively. The things that repeatedly fuck me up are melee, sniper aimed shots and psi.

Having a dedicated stealth armor is still a good idea. Infused cave hopper leather armor gives you a speed bonus so it indirectly improves your stealth by making you move faster through areas.

ArchAngel

Arcane
If you're a stealthy Nimble fighter, why wouldn't you jack up your dodge and evasion, and control the situation so you're not getting hit very often?
That is what I do. I got 8 Agility and maxed Evasion and Dodge as well as Nimble. My tactical vest has 200% vs bullets and I got a Energy shield as well.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Guiiiiiiiiiiiseeeeeee... I just want to say that this is the best RPG since Arcanum!

That is all!

:kfc:

bati

Scholar

Not enough skill points to go around. The character I'm currently playing is a crossbow/traps/stealth hybrid with heavy investment into crafting. Anyway, I just crafted an 8 DT / 200% bullet tactical vest (only lvl 13) which should hopefully tide me over until I get a better shield. As long as I can dictate the terms of combat it's all good because bear traps are so amazing, it's just those quest convo encounters that sometimes fuck me over. This forced me to take the "shoot first ask questions never" approach at the train quest for Rail Crossing :P.

On a related note, are crossbows really that weak in the endgame? I'm just now starting to notice a significant increase in power (300+ crits at this lvl are niiiiiiiiiice) and I enjoy this rather unique trapper playstyle so if you have to crush my dreams, please be gentle.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
So I tried out this game, gave it a solid hour. The biggest obstacle that prevents me from playing/enjoying it is the simple fact that it's a huge time investment...time which I do not have at the moment. At least I have something to do if I end up in traction.

That said, there were a few small details that did bother me and can easily be improved.

# The orange font is hard to read. Easily fixed with a font change.

# The 'standard' font is far too small. Easily fixed with a scalable font.

# The interface, icons and such are just too small. I'm using 1680x1050, which is a standard resolution nowadays. Even on that, everything is SO TINY.

# The character creation/character sheet feels barebones compared to the predecessors/forefathers of Underrail. Fallout 1+2's character screen was one of the few parts of the games that didn't need the big-ass manual because ALL the information was contained therein. That little window in the bottom-right told you everything you needed to know. Underrail does very little of that, which I find very strange. More info would be appreciated.

# The beginning is not tight enough. Nice to see that there's an optional tutorial, but then you're told to run around the base to meet certain people before being sent out to activate some outposts. Problem is, I never found them. I didn't even know where to look. All I knew was that they were "to the north", but considering Underrail is a game with an isometric perspective, that could mean up-left, up-right, or just straight up! So I took a guess, wandered off in that direction and after some stealthy exploration I was one-shotted by a Stalker's knife, never even knowing if I was on the right track. I'm not asking for a quest compass here, but is it too much bother to have people give clearer directions, especially during the first steps of the game?

# Compared to Fallout 1+2, the interface is unintuitive...and that's saying something. During the tutorial I just knew from a gut feeling that the gun I was handed had no bullets in it. Even though every item in the game gets a window with a boatload of information on it, I couldn't see there whether the gun was loaded (I did notice the bullet icons at the bottom of the screen later on, but even Fallout 1+2 had this "redundant" feature of having the ammo count of the gun stated more than once, in more than one location.) So I go about to load the gun. I drag the bullets over the gun (which Fallout 1+2 allows you to do) but nothing happens. I double-click the bullets to get a bullet icon, I click that on the gun, nothing happens. Thinking that the gun is loaded, I try shooting it...*click*. Turns out I have to right-click the gun and select a "load weapon" command in order for the bullets to be loaded. Good enough...except I hadn't been told I even needed to use the right-mouse button at this point.

tl;dr - I don't have time to play this game, plus it needs a little extra spit and polish. I'll pass until later.

Sykar

Arcane
The interface was child's play to use for me from the get go. Font is not the best but I like the style, fits the atmosphere. Also there is an ingame tutorial at the start AND a help function via F1 which cover all the basics in like 5 minutes.
The game needs polish? Compared to what? This game is more polished than 95% of what is available.

Alex

Arcane
(...snip)
# The beginning is not tight enough. Nice to see that there's an optional tutorial, but then you're told to run around the base to meet certain people before being sent out to activate some outposts. Problem is, I never found them. I didn't even know where to look. All I knew was that they were "to the north", but considering Underrail is a game with an isometric perspective, that could mean up-left, up-right, or just straight up! So I took a guess, wandered off in that direction and after some stealthy exploration I was one-shotted by a Stalker's knife, never even knowing if I was on the right track. I'm not asking for a quest compass here, but is it too much bother to have people give clearer directions, especially during the first steps of the game?

There is an actual compass somewhere, I think in your room. It will point out which way is north.

# Compared to Fallout 1+2, the interface is unintuitive...and that's saying something. During the tutorial I just knew from a gut feeling that the gun I was handed had no bullets in it. Even though every item in the game gets a window with a boatload of information on it, I couldn't see there whether the gun was loaded (I did notice the bullet icons at the bottom of the screen later on, but even Fallout 1+2 had this "redundant" feature of having the ammo count of the gun stated more than once, in more than one location.) So I go about to load the gun. I drag the bullets over the gun (which Fallout 1+2 allows you to do) but nothing happens. I double-click the bullets to get a bullet icon, I click that on the gun, nothing happens. Thinking that the gun is loaded, I try shooting it...*click*. Turns out I have to right-click the gun and select a "load weapon" command in order for the bullets to be loaded. Good enough...except I hadn't been told I even needed to use the right-mouse button at this point.

You can also hold shift to show reloading options. I think either the help screen or the guy in the interphone during tutorial tells you that. Loading crossbows on the other hand is really unintuitive...

ST'Ranger

Augur
You'll find that Underrail is basically impossible to play unless you carefully read the dialogues - which it sounds like you didn't have time to do.

First time through Underrail will easily take you 100 hours, possibly 1000 if you can't be bothered to read.

Tigranes

Arcane

Not enough skill points to go around. The character I'm currently playing is a crossbow/traps/stealth hybrid with heavy investment into crafting. Anyway, I just crafted an 8 DT / 200% bullet tactical vest (only lvl 13) which should hopefully tide me over until I get a better shield. As long as I can dictate the terms of combat it's all good because bear traps are so amazing, it's just those quest convo encounters that sometimes fuck me over. This forced me to take the "shoot first ask questions never" approach at the train quest for Rail Crossing :P.

On a related note, are crossbows really that weak in the endgame? I'm just now starting to notice a significant increase in power (300+ crits at this lvl are niiiiiiiiiice) and I enjoy this rather unique trapper playstyle so if you have to crush my dreams, please be gentle.

If you skimped on dodge/evasion, and you're foregoing high quality armour (to stealth), then you better have good CON. If you don't have any 3 of those things, then you've really designed your character to be defenceless. Choices & Consequences. Not sure where you're using all those skill points, you don't really need to max hacking, lockpicking, and you don't need to max all 5 crafting.

Furthest I got with xbow was about half/more of Core City in beta, and it was fine then, but maybe others have gone further.

Makagulfazel

Educated
Commends the optional tutorial then complains about not knowing how to load a gun, fuggin lol.
Honestly, I understand skipping it because most games' tutorials seem to assume you spend your day drooling on yourself, but this one actually has a few important tips.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
If you skimped on dodge/evasion, and you're foregoing high quality armour (to stealth), then you better have good CON. If you don't have any 3 of those things, then you've really designed your character to be defenceless. Choices & Consequences. Not sure where you're using all those skill points, you don't really need to max hacking, lockpicking, and you don't need to max all 5 crafting.

Furthest I got with xbow was about half/more of Core City in beta, and it was fine then, but maybe others have gone further.
I've played for about 4-5 hours or so and it does really look like that hack+lockpick are pretty must or you're gonna miss quite a bit of loot.

Afaik If you play trapper with crossbows then you're gonna need chemicals plus mechanics to make special arrows and traps.

Tigranes

Arcane
You don't need to max hack/lock after a while to stay ahead of the curve, especially with the pocket knife weapon (+7 lockpick) and the upgraded lockpicks/hackers. After about first 5 levels you can go at it half-pace or so, until you reach ~75 effective.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
I am playing with lockpick only and i explored pretty much all of the lower underrail. I missed a few boxes and maybe 1-2 rooms, so i'd say hacking is not required in early-mid game. Especially because the "loot" is mostly nice but nowhere near awesome. Lockpick feels like a must because it's everywhere, but maybe it will be other way around soon, who knows.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
This game is beautifull it leaves me in awe. I persuaded my brother to play it and his characters (psionic) choices are completely different from mine (melee), and the world exploration... its huge and full of surprises: just turned to random tunnel and found most remote South Underrail Bar :) Last time i felt so sucked in to the game world was then i played New Vegas. Bravo Styg!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom