Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

CHEMS

Scholar
Hmm, Aran just spawned in the Core City bar, without me getting the Acorn, just did the JSHQ. He says 'Not interested.' when trying to talk to him.

Wonder if you can whack him without turning the city hostile.

You can, if you don't give him the Acorn. Too bad his corpse will be stinking up your home basement forever.

Parabalus

Arcane
Hmm, Aran just spawned in the Core City bar, without me getting the Acorn, just did the JSHQ. He says 'Not interested.' when trying to talk to him.

You can, if you don't give him the Acorn. Too bad his corpse will be stinking up your home basement forever.

But that's just normal sequence.

I didn't know he's there even before you have the Acorn.

Trashos

Arcane
I do not believe that this is the intention, and I believe that you will all get the intention eventually. The way I see it, the intention is that you should be using inhalants. If you 'd rather save money than doing that (or doing some serious planning ahead), then that is up to you.
Doesn't matter what the intention was. I wasn't swapping psi abilities not because of inhalants, but because it makes no sense to change the powerful abilities for weaker ones. It's the psi slots that are the limiting factor. But this limitation doesn't impact difficulty, because it's not like you cannot handle combat by spamming the same few spells over and over again.

I have conceded from the start that some weak abilities need looking into. But there are enough strong abilities for changes, unless you do not want to be changing. (and heck, if you people want to be using grenades/traps, the game can be ironmanned by very experienced players without psi too).

I am doing my 1st playthrough with it, and I change abilities at a regular pace (although not all the time). For example, if I am facing many robots I make sure I have my Psychokinesis abilities up. If I want stealtlh kills or am facing biological opponents with high mechanical resistance, I have TC up. TM is always up. Metathermics is usually up, unless I need something else.

You can use a simpler setup I guess, but that is up to you.

Tbf the extra slot is just very bad.

That's 2 points of INT right there. I wouldn't call it bad. If 2 points of INT are not that good, we have different issues.

Parabalus

Arcane
That's 2 points of INT right there. I wouldn't call it bad. If 2 points of INT are not that good, we have different issues.

Eh, what do you mean by 2 points of INT?
You don't get two points of INT with the headband, just a small part of INTs benefit.

Realistically you will decide whether to sacrifice WILL or CON for INT if you need more slots, since the headband slot sucks so much.

Trashos

Arcane
Well, I can see in various builds that some people are suddenly going up to 12 INT. So apparently they value the extra slot.

Generally, if we want to have a serious conversation about it, we need to distinguish between systemic problems (of the new system) and balancing issues. Two very different beasts. To make my position clear, I am not necessarily claiming that balancing is perfect. I just saw the new system and cannot make such claims. My claim is that I like it as a system.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
I don't think the bonus slot on the headband is that bad either. It comes at the opportunity cost of one of the other enhancements, but having an extra slot is very helpful, especially when you don't have to sacrifice 2 ability points for it.

I mean, the difference between having that extra slot or not is that you could be bringing an ability like stasis, LTI, mirror image, or something like that into a fight that you couldn't otherwise fit in. Is that worth the loss of extra damage? I'd say it is. It helps recover some of the flexibility that made old psi so OP.

It's very annoying to switch it out for another piece of headgear though, you have to reinnervate the ability you lost by unequipping it for something else like motion detecting goggles or whatever.

Last edited:

CHEMS

Scholar

But that's just normal sequence.

I didn't know he's there even before you have the Acorn.

He appears when you start the expedition i think.

Tigranes

Arcane
Versatility chem pistol = many ways this could be done, and this one did OK, but despite changes over patches I still can't seem to get the most out of versatility. much of it probably a mindset/playstyle thing when you're no longer sticking to 2 or 3 weapons the entire game. In particular I can't seem to effectively grok doing melee and ranged both - with any ranged boy I just try to never get close.

depends on your build i guess. When I did knives&lazors, I was quite happy to stab due to cheap shots feat providing me crowd control.
Also versatility on dom lags quite a bit early game. You either come over lvled, accept high miss chance or get in close and personal.
Only versatile chem pistols I saw in here was actually using chem pistols exclusively(not sure when switch happened though). As far as I know my build was the only one actually doing both ranged and melee through the whole game.
speaking versatile ofc, I would count spear throw builds as both melee and ranged. Im quite mesmerized by this one after watching how it handles 4 nagas

so in other words... what did you do to benefit from melee besides having melee skill and high dex?

EDIT: also electroshock knives were massively out damaging lazor pistols early game

& Ol' Willy - all good points, and I do love my knives in melee builds.

In a versatility build the trouble seems to be that if I haven't invested in the feats, etc. to get the most out of melee, then the loss of the optimal damage output + the availability of ranged options = why wouldn't I just keep shooting with, say, chem pistol, when they get closer, or rather, before they get closer? I can knife to finish stragglers off, but is it ever going to be a big deal for this build? In my case I built a chem pistol at level 6ish and never really looked back. And then I end up also asking - well, if having melee in the bag isn't a gamechanger, then shouldn't I just go full pistol/chem build with all the gun feats? Which is what I did.

I'll have to look into cheap shots and see if that's one way. For now, though, enjoying the Dom/oddity not-super-optimal pistol fellow. Took a fair few tries with Rathound King at lv11 but largely cookshotted through it.

CHEMS

Scholar
I love mah short barrel tactical vindicator. Reminds me of the Serbu Super Shorty. Absolutely kickass. Now i'm gonna try and get the Salvation 13 because it's inspired on the SPAS, another cool shotgun. Too bad we never got an AA12 in the game.

7miaxwe7hnv41.jpg

Yaz

Learned
I love mah short barrel tactical vindicator.

I was also playing with Vindicators when I was doing shotty run. Mine was powered through Strength Versatility Spear, though. Probably that's why I wasn't going with the short version. Still, my preferred single fire frame.

ciox

Liturgist
I love mah short barrel tactical vindicator. Reminds me of the Serbu Super Shorty. Absolutely kickass. Now i'm gonna try and get the Salvation 13 because it's inspired on the SPAS, another cool shotgun. Too bad we never got an AA12 in the game.

7miaxwe7hnv41.jpg
I think they left out the AA-12 because the Pancor Jackhammer is in and pretty close given the whole "heavy drum magazine shotgun" thing.
Shame you can't use the SPAS with the hook to fire one-handed, would have made a nice combo with shield riot gear.

CHEMS

Scholar
I love mah short barrel tactical vindicator.

I was also playing with Vindicators when I was doing shotty run. Mine was powered through Strength Versatility Spear, though. Probably that's why I wasn't going with the short version. Still, my preferred single fire frame.

I thought about doing versatility but in order to get the necessary feats i'd need the perception e guns. Otherwise i wouldn't score those 1000+ damage shots.

Pancor Jackhammer

Never used the Rancor because it's the first time i'm doing shotty. Saw it on the deep caverns, looks pretty cool, too bad it's end game stuff. I loved using the Pancor in Fallout 2. Shit was dope. :terminate:

grumf

Novice

I just finished a shotgun run, Short Despot XM for 25AP burst fire + Short Rebel for 20 AP clean up. Still not as strong as AR burst build, but pretty close.

5WNdjmY

Yaz

Learned
Otherwise i wouldn't score those 1000+ damage shots.

Yeah, that's fair. For me Sixth Shell and Leading Shot were enough, still. Damage wasn't too far behind, as well. Although the main selling point of that build was quad SS plates with specced Armour Sloping and Spear with 100 % block. The shotty was the cherry on top.

CHEMS

Scholar
So... there is this special event where Natives will hunt Marsh Honey. i just got it wandering at a section of the Horticulture Center, they killed all the hives. Thanks, Natives. I'll be sure to make a tungsten offering to Flottsomir!

CHEMS

Scholar
By the way, how much persuasion do i need for the check that will let me raid the protectorate ship alone? That dumbass Razor will probably suicide by dreadnaught if i raid with him

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
What makes Psychostatic electricity a bad feat? I thought it was a pretty decent feat with 5% crit chance at the very least that affects everything including psi powers.

It's not bad. People win game with it and Electrokinesis, which could hit for 1K damage if tuned right.

Electrokinesis is a weak spell

Nope. Specialize in it, it could hit hard.

didntdemon

Novice
I have just cleared Junkyard with a Psi Monk, the gameplay mainly involve some stealth/movement to isolate mobs and then spamming unarmed melee attacks.

Could I expect the gameplay change or evolve as I get further, or is it more or less the same ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom