Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Trashos

Arcane
Well, in Oddity you eventually learn where everything is, and the rest of the content becomes optional.

If there is no special Oddity in the Crawler lair, then it is probably meant to be an optional challenge. Unless they forgot.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I am the master at cheesing Warehouse Block Beta, the section where Balor is. Manage to play around enemy LoS and sound to silently kill almost every Ironhead in the entire camp two/three at a time, so that I could isolate myself in a room with Balor and kill him in two turns. The best part? I have 0 stealth!

CHEMS

Scholar
It seems that one cuttlesnail > 3 death stalkers. I almost felt sorry killing poor bastard afterwards.

vVDtR-EmkUw.jpg

Is that fucking Big Pussy from Sopranos? lol

Trashos

Arcane
I did the Horticulture Center. Yet again a lot of different ways to get into the dungeon, good stuff. Locusts weren't too bad, but they did drain a lot of my resources. I am lvl 25 currently, and I am a bit worried about facing them while lower level in future playthroughs.

(yes, I have heard about Fetid Marsh. Haven't been there yet.)

Professor just got abducted, so I need to deal with that. Then off to Nexus.

Bought the Devastator. Pretty good, but very expensive. Maybe I will go for something cheaper in the future. What are your favorite jet skis?

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Bought the Devastator. Pretty good, but very expensive. Maybe I will go for something cheaper in the future. What are your favorite jet skis?
Any of the less expensive ones that also come with built-in weaponry. The Shark's rockets were fun for blowing up locusts in the Fetid Marsh, and the Glow's twin lasers are perfectly suited for thinnin' out natives along the Northern Coast.

Yaz

Learned
I did the Horticulture Center. Yet again a lot of different ways to get into the dungeon, good stuff. Locusts weren't too bad, but they did drain a lot of my resources. I am lvl 25 currently, and I am a bit worried about facing them while lower level in future playthroughs.

There are some decent armour sets out there that can mitigate the Locusts damage pretty well.

As for jets: if my build is capable of good ranged combat I take Leviator, if not - Devastator. But I'd agree that the Devastator takes some focused farming.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Has anyone got a chancce to see the new random locations? Any opinions on them? Wouldn't it be better if they were all just added to the game and not play through dependent?

Tigranes

Arcane

Depending on build, and with some metaknowledge, you can get through most of Expeditions while skipping a lot of the more tiring fights. You can do horticulture with essentially zero locust combat with middling stealth - I think this time I landed up North, stealth gadgeted past the outdoor hive 'farm', then TNT'd one hive inside. Then joined pirates to skip fetid marsh. Killed some natives for kicks but didn't need to touch them, and you can avoid almost all jetski combat if you prefer. Even a lot of strongmen can be avoided - e.g. by hitting the security cams, shutting down the system in one place to skip almost all fights (Nexus?).

But sometimes you don't know the back way or came in without AGI/etc... I just can't imagine ever having fun going through Fetid Marsh head on.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
They need to add some way to skip the final cutscene for the arena. It takes so freaking long, and it sucks to reload when you forgot to equip a throwing net in your utility slot, knowing you'll have to see it all again.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
It's a separate statement to say "the time limit in Expeditions is really stressful and has a really negative impact on my experience" - which I would say is bollocks. (Not that I think trashos is going that far, I think he just wants to know?)

I am saying that too. When I have a time limit, I try to do things fast. I do not enjoy anything much. Not knowing what the time limit is just makes it worse.
As a matter of fact, the reason why I am only playing Expedition now (while I bought it on release to support the team) is because I heard about the time limits.

So it is both a design issue and a personal issue. But let's not act as if I am weird or sth, a lot of people are complaining about time limits in RPGs around the web. And if, say, Kingmaker has the argument that its system needs time limits to make sense, here the decision is incomprehensible.

No, you're weird. I mean, we're all weird in our own way but you're weird in this way.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
They need to add some way to skip the final cutscene for the arena. It takes so freaking long, and it sucks to reload when you forgot to equip a throwing net in your utility slot, knowing you'll have to see it all again.
This "cutscenes" bugger me too. There's a simple solution: make all such "cutscenes" in dialogue window so the player can skip lines as fast as he wants to.

Trashos

Arcane
Hmmm... do drugs carry into the arena? If they do, then a long cutscene there is essential so that drugs don't last into the fight. And at any rate it is a good cutscene.

No, you're weird.

What is weird is having time limits in exploration games. If I wanted to be rushing, I 'd be playing racing games instead.

Btw, athletes need to be trained to be able to keep track of time while they are doing their thing. And they are usually still bad at it way into their career. It is a very natural thing to not be able to keep track of time in parallel with focusing on something else.

Trashos

Arcane
OK, so I succeeded in infiltrating the pirate base by trying to fail.
Went to negotiate, but didn't have the skills to achieve anything. The pirate leader was asking for an arm and a leg. So I wanted to end the negotiation and... there was no such option! So I attacked them just to get out of dialogue so that I could reload. But they immobilized me and threw me into jail. Then it was very easy breaking out, killing the lone guard (I am psi. HA!), getting my stuff from above, and escaping through the manhole with the Prof.
Again, I am impressed by all the ways this quest can be handled.

Aegis Patroller

I just got it as a gift. I guess it is the cheapest option from all the ones mentioned, the other two suggested are the most expensive ones. I am going to give it a try.

CHEMS

Scholar
I guess it is the cheapest option from all the ones mentioned, the other two suggested are the most expensive ones. I am going to give it a try.

In the end, buying jets are just a way to flex your money, just like the house. By the levels 24, you'll be able to dish way more damage per turn with your own weapons than any built in cannons from the jets. And besides, cover doesn't change much between an aegis patroller and a devastator. So i'd rather have the aegis patroller with top tier parts, so i get stability, coverage and speed.

Trashos

Arcane
Damn, the attack of the pirates was vicious. Naga was destroyed, and 3 troops died, including Yahota. Admittedly, after a while I was cowering way at the back, because I had already taken 2 sniper shots.

I am currently not planning to storm their base (unless the whole thing gets out of hand), so hopefully they do not attack too often.

Sheepherder

Augur
Knives are fucking awesome. Throwing is fucking awesome. Throwing knives are fucking garbage.
Throwing knife build. No damage dealing grenades, no gas grenades, no traps, weapons, caltrops or damage dealing psi. All damage comes from throwing knives and the poison they apply.

• Poison is the MVP of the early-game. And the mid-game. And the late-game. Only by endgame do throwing knives deal non garbage damage.
  • It's actually a Flashbang build. Flashbangs have 8 turn CD. Grenadier reduces it to 5 turns. Spec Ops reduce it further to 4 turns and with its spec, Flashbang CD is down to 3 turns. With LTI I can flashbang people continuously, essentially chaining incaps.
  • Nets with maxed Throwing kick ass.
  • Fights can take over 25 mins. to complete. And it's a glass cannon build. One mistake and I start over again.
  • I deal 3 damage to Dreadnoughts. Watch out Protectorate! I'll scratch your mechas paint job!
  • Forget 1 tile wide chokepoints. Every hallway is a chokepoint if enemies can't get to me due to the hordes of their incapacitated/stunned/netted buddies blocking the way.

Haven't finished the build yet. Level 26 now. But here's some screens:

This is how most fights looks like. A dude stuck in a doorway, permanetelly disabled, while his buddies die. And if one disable is resisted, I've got two more.
rZ7JV3h.jpg
7QCyroO.jpg
Mouse prince. Lured the ancient rat behind doors. It waits patiently as I kill its master.
TqpjO9E.jpg
Balor! Can you guess where I killed most of the enemies in the map?
IE3m3Y6.jpg
Carnifex. He is resistant to stuns from a taser, but not so much to stuns from crawler poison.
EyR085Z.jpg
And Praetorian warehouse. I picked Praetorians just for this fight alone.
N0wZq2f.jpg
Lunatic Mall Floor 1 and 2.
G5AUV0w.jpg
ooa41N5.jpg
And the troop elevator quest from Free Drones. The first floor was fun to figure out. This floor was a pure stealth mission.
KB94FFN.jpg

Last edited:

CHEMS

Scholar
Knives are fucking awesome. Throwing is fucking awesome. Throwing knives are fucking garbage.
Throwing knife build. No damage dealing grenades, no gas grenades, no traps, weapons, caltrops or damage dealing psi. All damage comes from throwing knives and the poison they apply.

• Poison is the MVP of the early-game. And the mid-game. And the late-game. Only by endgame do throwing knives deal non garbage damage.
  • It's actually a Flashbang build. Flashbangs have 8 turn CD. Grenadier reduces it to 5 turns. Spec Ops reduce it further to 4 turns and with its spec, Flashbang CD is down to 3 turns. With LTI I can flashbang people continuously, essentially chaining incaps.
  • Nets with maxed Throwing kick ass.
  • Fights can take over 25 mins. to complete. And it's a glass cannon build. One mistake and I start over again.
  • I deal 3 damage to Dreadnoughts. Watch out Protectorate! I'll scratch your mechas paint job!
  • Forget 1 tile wide chokepoints. Every hallway is a chokepoint if enemies can't get to me due to the hordes of their incapacitated/stunned/netted buddies blocking the way.

Haven't finished the build yet. Level 26 now. But here's some screens:

This is how most fights looks like. A dude stuck in a doorway, permanetelly disabled, while his buddies die. And if one disable is resisted, I've got two more.
rZ7JV3h.jpg
7QCyroO.jpg
Mouse prince. Lured the ancient rat behind doors. It waits patiently as I kill its master.
TqpjO9E.jpg
Balor! Can you guess where I killed most of the enemies in the map?
IE3m3Y6.jpg
Carnifex. He is resistant to stuns from a taser, but not so much to stuns from crawler poison.
EyR085Z.jpg
And Praetorian warehouse. I picked Praetorians just for this fight alone.
N0wZq2f.jpg
Lunatic Mall Floor 1 and 2.
G5AUV0w.jpg
ooa41N5.jpg
And the troop elevator quest from Free Drones. The first floor was fun to figure out. This floor was a pure stealth mission.
KB94FFN.jpg

I enjoy throwing knives very much. Not as a main source of damage, of course, but as support with fatal throw and ripper. So good. Using this on my new psycho build.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Time to rock 'n' roll, baby!

PbYcuC9bNL4.jpg

Half of these are from my previous run through the cave, but still - sweet satisfaction!

Ks46ikO_5vE.jpg

I've earned it!

s3C_zjrtvRQ.jpg

Although, the offense capabilities are underwhelming, to say the least. Minigun has average damage, but no feats are counted and you're stuck with 15% crit chance. Drill does some good damage, but 25 AP per attack and no MP - yeah, great fun. Rockets are nice, but I do miss half of the time with 90% THC for some reason. You can tank exorbitant amounts of damage and immune to a lot of stuff (TC? Forget about it!), but no stealth, no MP, slow movement speed and constant sound of running motor... It's not indestructible, though - creepy-crawlies from the screenshot above managed to shank more than half of the things' HP. You can't repair it through conventional means.

Frankly, I don't understand why Styg locked it behind one quest from one faction and one location. Make it running from the batteries like jets do, give it limited ammo, allow for repairing it with repair kits - Dreadnought would be a great reward for finishing Protectorate questline. What other RPG can boast mech-combat packed inside?

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Haha, this was like the second build I tried to make and this was before Temporal Manipulation or Specializations were added to the game, so it was basically unplayable. I'm going to try a 10 Will, max Dex, TC/TM Throwing Knife char. Perhaps the added flexibility of PSI will make the build actually viable.

Tigranes

Arcane
......wait, you can get that thing out of the cave?!??!

In a dozen playthroughs I don't think I ever tried, always assumed you just squeeze back out the garage door

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom