Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Another awesome dungeon, JSHQ! I had multiple heart attacks inside (and outside!), but eventually I figured it out. About every dungeon in this expansion is better than the previous one.
Now's a good time to start exploring the Northern Coast if you haven't already. There's some good exploring and battling to be done there as opposed to pirate country and the festering swamps of the Southern Coast.

Yaz

Learned
I have not read Schopenhauer. But if I see Epicurus, others see Nietzsche, and you see Schopenhauer, then I guess we should name the hoppers Epicurus, Nietszche and Schopenhauer, even though we are going to eat them later.

I know Schopenhauer's ideas weren't particularly novel - they were in the West, though. Can't really put it down to any single one of them, either. But I still like it.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I love how Core City, Rail Crossing and SGS are initially far-distant places that you have to use the train to get to and from - but later on when you clear out the Lurkers and use some TNT, you can use the Underpassages to walk between them in just a few screen transitions.

Last edited:
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
In my first playthrough I never properly explored the Lurker areas - my first time coming to this place with... seven Death Stalkers.
Screenshot_55.png

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
So you can remove the debris and open the water passage deep into Waterways facility... I got carried away and completely forgot about the crane. But I found a 160 q black cloth - hidden behind the trampoline, because of course it is. The trip was worth it, as well as few oddities and lots of toxic sludge.

Anyway, for those who are still wondering what is behind this two doors in Junkyard backyard...

T_Lx_Xk1VFE.jpg

Nothing. Just placeholder doors.

Tigranes

Arcane
This, without question. One of the best RPGs of the last decade by far.

I've left the Free Drone neckbeards hanging, and went into clear Lunatic Mall. Went surprisingly smoothly, with Locus+Enrage then flurry instakill for anybody who gets within range. Just have to always keep track of scanners, snipers, and even freezers.

Oh, and I have to say, the Nexus Naga Protector at level 20 was... just went down. EMP, focus stim, flurry. Wonder if I can take two on later.

Trashos

Arcane
Should I play this, ATOM, or Pathfinder? I haven't played any of them.

Let me change the frame: All of them, eventually. So it is just a matter of order.

I love how Core City, Rail Crossing and SGS are initially far-distant places that you have to use the train to get to and from - but later on when you clear out the Lurkers and use some TNT, you can use the Underpassages to walk between them in just a few screen transitions.

My issue with that is that there are random encounters spawning on the routes from one city to another. Anyway, now with rift-walking it is less important. But I would have appreciated it better if the routes remained safe after I cleared them.

Yaz

Learned
I like the presentation of ATOM a lot. There's a lot going on there. All the realistic weapon and armour, and the game also sounds fantastic. The Dead City is simply fabulous in this regard. Unfortunately the game is far less developed in terms of combat complexity. I'd say it's much more a successor to Fallout than Underrail is, but that's not necessarily a positive thing. It's also best played with a lone wolf character which can be disappointing for some.

I couldn't finish Kingmaker if my life depended on it... I loved the Vordekai campaign but founds mostly everything else about the game forgettable. So much missed opportunity with the companion stories, as well.

Underrail has been in development longer than either of those games and is just more polished in pretty much every aspect except graphical. I still love me some good ol' 2d sprites, though. Thing is - if one plays Underrail first one might get too disappointed with the rest. My recommended order would be Kingmaker, ATOM, Underrail.

Trashos

Arcane
I am at the point where I am finishing my playthrough. By reading around it looks like I missed the native questline. I didn't genocide anyone, so it serves me right. But the camp was down to 8 sec troops, and I had to make haste. I also didn't explore the Underrail waters, I am going to do that in my next effort.

Awesome dlc, in general. The downsides are that the game was already too long and the fucking camp management mechanics. Anyway, did the Aegis angle, I will be joining the Pirates from now on. However, exploration, dungeons, atmosphere, mystery, characters are A+. Jet skis are very cool and I like them, but I am not sure about the jet ski fighting mechanics (but maybe I am just not good at it yet).

Idea for a standalone game based on the jet skis:
Wing Commander Privateer --> Jet Skier Privateer. The fighting mechanics may have to be reworked, however. Make it happen!

So, what is going on with the plot? Are the monoliths from the Godmen and the Shadowlith from the Leviathan? And why did Biocorp attack NFT? Did it have something to do with the Shadowlith or was it a completely unrelated War of the Corps?

Yaz

Learned
So, what is going on with the plot? Are the monoliths from the Godmen and the Shadowlith from the Leviathan? And why did Biocorp attack NFT? Did it have something to do with the Shadowlith or was it a completely unrelated War of the Corps?

Biocorp most likely attacked them because of the xeno-nano-bot technology they possessed and/or that surface sanctuary the Professor briefly mentions... probably. It's hinted that every super corpo had at least one Conr(Computer Of Notable Roundness) in their possession. The Monoliths are from the Godmen - that much is clearly established, and their purpose - among others - is to limit the Leviathans' influence. The Shadowliths are from the Leviathans and they seek to extend their influence as probably almost everything in the Black Sea is a product of Flottsormir's work. If doing Yngwar shenanigans there's a bit more told in this regard.

Jet skis are very cool and I like them, but I am not sure about the jet ski fighting mechanics (but maybe I am just not good at it yet).

Either get a Devastator with max Stability(need Mercantile) so that there's no difference between ground and naval combat, or get a very fast Jet so you can go in and out of danger. You're probably mostly worried about EMPs but if doing Pirates those largely go away. Pirates also have one of the best merchants in the game, as well.

jungl

Augur
Idk underrail gets tedious after a while. Feels like you are this underground world exterminator man. Map transition after transition more mobs to kill. Underrail sequel needs more going for it tbh. 1) Bigger maps or somehow make the area transition seem more natural and not a black screen. Maybe add mutagen barrels in gameworld like might and magic games give player random 1 skill point. Maybe other killer hobos generated in the world similiar to the player u can run into They could be aligned to a particular faction where you can trade or work together with or kill.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Maybe add mutagen barrels in gameworld like might and magic games give player random 1 skill point.

NO!

Maybe other killer hobos generated in the world similiar to the player u can run into They could be aligned to a particular faction where you can trade or work together with or kill.
Nobody managed to do that.
I heard Van Buren tried to do that, and you can see how well it went for it...

Yaz

Learned
Feels like you are this underground world exterminator man. Map transition after transition more mobs to kill.

You're actually not required to go to most of the available in-game maps. Upper caves, for example, seems to be mostly filler content. Unless you're making Super Health Hypos it's best skipped.

After some time playing the game I don't even finish some of the questlines. Protectorate for example - I just get paid to get what I need from their shop and unless I need more I leave it alone. That's why Oddity is the superior xp system, as well.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Idk underrail gets tedious after a while. Feels like you are this underground world exterminator man. Map transition after transition more mobs to kill. Underrail sequel needs more going for it tbh. 1) Bigger maps or somehow make the area transition seem more natural and not a black screen. Maybe add mutagen barrels in gameworld like might and magic games give player random 1 skill point. Maybe other killer hobos generated in the world similiar to the player u can run into They could be aligned to a particular faction where you can trade or work together with or kill.
I want more dangerous and elusive named critters to hunt in the over-world that aren't tied to unrelated quests, like the Black Crawler or Jet Eater. I wanna go on an Underrail Safari, and decorate the walls of my hardcore living room with the stuffed heads of mutant monsters and beasties the Underrail over.

Last edited:

jungl

Augur
Well if you look at spiderweb software games. Jeffs best game is arguably geneforge 1. Cause the player got the endorphin rush of getting new gear stats AND pokemon pets to play with. Also the game setting is interesting with its factions. Okay clearly the solution is in next underrail you can find biotech capsules that spawn monsters with different abilities and uhh you can find gene codes that enhance them. Maybe add in some personal investment player can do in skill or perk to enchance this gameplay.

Tigranes

Arcane
Wonder if I can take two on later.
Wonder, if you can take four

Well, I took on three in Joint Sec without breaking a sweat - though I killed one in a single turn out of stealth, then two came over. Just EMP, Focus Stim, Flurry again. With this build I'd actually rather fight two Nagas than, say, ,a rush mob of 15 strongmen.

jungl To be honest, I primarily treat Underrail as a murderhobo simulator and number-cruncher, and one of the best of its kind. I like that the gameworld/writing is understated enough that it provides a nice foil and doesn't get in the way. Expeditions changes that, and I think we're lucky that this was done in the DLC as opposed to the basegame - and at any rate the atmosphere is top notch to carry it through. I'm not sure I know what I'd want in an UR2. Maybe more environmental puzzles with skillchecks, and maybe more encounters with environmental hazards and interactions.

Trashos

Arcane

Biocorp most likely attacked them because of the xeno-nano-bot technology they possessed and/or that surface sanctuary the Professor briefly mentions... probably. It's hinted that every super corpo had at least one Conr(Computer Of Notable Roundness) in their possession. The Monoliths are from the Godmen - that much is clearly established, and their purpose - among others - is to limit the Leviathans' influence. The Shadowliths are from the Leviathans and they seek to extend their influence as probably almost everything in the Black Sea is a product of Flottsormir's work. If doing Yngwar shenanigans there's a bit more told in this regard.

Jet skis are very cool and I like them, but I am not sure about the jet ski fighting mechanics (but maybe I am just not good at it yet).

Either get a Devastator with max Stability(need Mercantile) so that there's no difference between ground and naval combat, or get a very fast Jet so you can go in and out of danger. You're probably mostly worried about EMPs but if doing Pirates those largely go away. Pirates also have one of the best merchants in the game, as well.

I completely missed Yngwar, I will make sure I go to him next time. Aegis was a bit like having a well-paying but stressful job. Hopefully by joinng the Pirates next I will be able to chill out and take some time to smell the flowers.

I did have the Devastator, and, yes, EMPs were a big issue. The problem with jet ski combat is that the defense options are simplistic in comparison to land combat. Also, there is no much cover. Jet ski defense needs some work, afaic.

Good to hear that Aegis are not going to be chucking EMP grenades.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom