Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
taxalot if you want over, here is a spoiler on whats wrong. Sneak peak so to speak.
dont open if you want to figure stuff on your own. Starting over because you screwed up is part of experience
dodge and evasion is fine on normal. It is however skill that you need to either max or leave at 0. Your AGI seems too low.

versatility is power gamer feat
you max dex - start at 10, all lvlups there. On each lvlup pump melee. THen your melee stat is translated to guns for you. You lvlup guns juuust high enough for feat requirements of choice
why oh why do you pump guns, xbow AND melee at the same time while already having versatility?

You are lvl 6 and all your feats are lvl1...

40 effective throwing allows you to throw grenades well enough. Grenades are powerful.

luka new character recommendation based on what I see
3 STR max DEX 7+ AGI 3 CON 3 PER 3 WILL 6+ INT. From feats look into gun fu and such. You go versatility, max melee. Early game use both pistol and some fist

CHEMS

Scholar
How is it well spent when there is nothing to gain in locust areas, except maybe the shotgun?
There's some goodies there, super steel plates, oddities and a way to infiltrate pirate base before joining them (if you have good stealth to do so). I go through the fetid marsh, steal the junk jet at the pirate base, and get early access to the rift and the quad naga fight.

CHEMS

Scholar
8c4o0t.png

Well shit, man. Styg really buffed the eyeball huh. I remember i could waltz in there and pop it in one turn. He was such a pushover but this fight was actually hard for my lvl 30 build.

Zeem

Learned
8c4o0t.png

Well shit, man. Styg really buffed the eyeball huh. I remember i could waltz in there and pop it in one turn. He was such a pushover but this fight was actually hard for my lvl 30 build.
That's nothing, this is what a hard fight against T looks like:
brhsp8.png
STR versatility shotgun was a wild ride sometimes.

roshan

Arcane
Hi guys, wanted to get some feat opinions for Underrail... I have a knife build, no armor penalty, max dodge and evasion, high stealth, 15 dex. Mechanics, tailoring, electronics. Was wondering what two feats I should take next? It's for my 22nd level, so I have a couple of basic feats I can take before hitting 26 and moving on to the epic feats.

Feats I Have:

Expertise
Nimble
Opportunist
Recklessness
Weaponsmith
Cheap Shots
Expose Weakness
Fancy Footwork
Taste for Blood
Blitz
Critical Power
Hunter

Feats I am Considering:

Parry
Paranoia
Crippling Strike
Escape Artist
Interloper
Uncanny Dodge
Evasive Maneuvers
Eviscerate
Blindsiding
Cut Throat
Vile Weaponry
Hit and Run

I'm thinking parry might be a great feat since it will give me about 55% chance to block around 25 damage per melee attack. That seems like a pretty powerful defense.
I am also tempted to try to boost my damage a bit with either eviscerate, crippling strike or vile weaponry.
I'm thinking the movement points from Interloper and Hit and Run might not be worth it since I already have Fancy Footwork which is super awesome.
Cut Throat sounds incredible on paper but I don't know if it will be practical in combat. Would I really have to be behind the target to be able to trigger it? What's your experience? Plus it only works on humanoids.

My current top picks might be Parry and either Crippling Strike or Eviscerate.

notpl

Arbiter
Interloper is fantastic, I can't believe it wasn't your first choice as a stealth knifer. With flashbangs and smoke grenades you can spend a lot of time stealthed in combat to great effect.

I found vile weaponry very underwhelming - you can already apply infected wounds in a huge area with nail bombs from the free drones, and honestly you don't want to be using a serrated knife to begin with since they have lower damage/critical rate than the other options.

Blindsiding is a nice damage increase but I'd get interloper first.

Cut-throat, crippling strike, eviscerate - all the damaging attacks seem completely pointless to me, since a stealth knife character can kill any humanoid enemy in a few swings once you get that crit chance up.

Last edited:

roshan

Arcane
I usually use serrated tungsten steel knives due to the critical damage multiplier... Lots of ways to get critical chance up, but the damage multiplier is more difficult. With dehumanizer I get 269% critical damage bonus, with a serrated knife I get 370%.

notpl

Arbiter
I can see the argument for that. Lower base damage is effectively the same thing as a lower critical damage bonus, though, so make sure you're factoring that into the final math. I haven't actually plotted it out to see which knife has the highest DPS, so maybe it'll surprise us both.

Either way, my vote is for interloper and blindsiding. If you only get one, then blindsiding. It's a huge chunk of extra damage to help you overcome the high damage threshhold of robots and other challenging enemies for a knife build, enemies which you couldn't affect with vile weaponry or thirst for blood anyway.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Feats I Have:

Expertise
Nimble
Opportunist
Recklessness
Weaponsmith
Cheap Shots
Expose Weakness
Fancy Footwork
Taste for Blood
Blitz
Critical Power
Hunter

Feats I am Considering:

Parry
Paranoia
Crippling Strike
Escape Artist
Interloper
Uncanny Dodge
Evasive Maneuvers
Eviscerate
Blindsiding
Cut Throat
Vile Weaponry
Hit and Run
expertise is wasted
surprising lack of ripper, did you start with too low WILL?

Parry - with fancy footwork you should just run away from melee danger
paranoia - sure
crippling strike - meh
escape artist - once you are experienced you can learn to just run away, but i guess its worth having
interloper - surprised you made it this far without it. Its sanity feat
Uncanny Dodge - again, run away from danger
Evasive Maneuvers - same
Eviscerate - you might use it once or twice on dominating, otherwise enemies should die too fast
blindsiding - strong yes
cut throat - too late to have fun with it
vile weaponry - I like it, good against certain bosses
hit and run - fancy footwork should be enough

roshan

Arcane
Feats I Have:

Expertise
Nimble
Opportunist
Recklessness
Weaponsmith
Cheap Shots
Expose Weakness
Fancy Footwork
Taste for Blood
Blitz
Critical Power
Hunter

Feats I am Considering:

Parry
Paranoia
Crippling Strike
Escape Artist
Interloper
Uncanny Dodge
Evasive Maneuvers
Eviscerate
Blindsiding
Cut Throat
Vile Weaponry
Hit and Run
expertise is wasted
surprising lack of ripper, did you start with too low WILL?

Parry - with fancy footwork you should just run away from melee danger
paranoia - sure
crippling strike - meh
escape artist - once you are experienced you can learn to just run away, but i guess its worth having
interloper - surprised you made it this far without it. Its sanity feat
Uncanny Dodge - again, run away from danger
Evasive Maneuvers - same
Eviscerate - you might use it once or twice on dominating, otherwise enemies should die too fast
blindsiding - strong yes
cut throat - too late to have fun with it
vile weaponry - I like it, good against certain bosses
hit and run - fancy footwork should be enough

Oh I think I just forgot to mention Ripper - I have it, it's essential! Also, looks like it's now two votes in favor of interloper and blindsiding! I could definitely take both.
I guess the +50% damage from crippling strike is not worth it since it will be for only one attack every two rounds.
I'm rethinking Uncanny Dodge and Parry also because not all enemies are melee, so it might not be as protective as I think.
Evasive Maneuvers is useless since I'd rather make use of the extra AP.
Cut Throat seems pointless as coming from stealth I can eliminate most organic targets within a round.

Another question: I am maxing out my Expertise with the specialization points. After I will still have 5 points left. What feat is best to use them on?

CHEMS

Scholar
Picking critical power and expertise doesn't seem like a good choice, let alone speccing expertise. I'd spec critical power if i were you.

Also i'd pick blindsighting ASAP and escape artist, you'll need escape artist if you're gonna run a melee build in expedition. Basically everything there will try to immobilize you.

roshan

Arcane
Picking critical power and expertise doesn't seem like a good choice, let alone speccing expertise. I'd spec critical power if i were you.

Also i'd pick blindsighting ASAP and escape artist, you'll need escape artist if you're gonna run a melee build in expedition. Basically everything there will try to immobilize you.

Oh! Sorry, I specialized in Critical Power, not Expertise.

Yikes, I already got Interloper in preparation for Blindsiding. For the 3 veteran feats, I'm planning to get Increased Dexterity, Strider and maybe one other feat - suggestions?

Also, another question - what tattoos are useful? I want to get the anarchy one to increase my critical chance, but I think I'd rather join the protectorate. Is there any tattoo that would be just as good with my build?

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
fuck interloper, get Sea Dog

you get the tattoo that you imagine looks coolest in your head

roshan

Arcane
I am questioning interloper now.... It doesn't make a big difference in speed - the normal speed penalty for stealth is 45%, and interloper reduces it to 30% - doesn't seem like much, and I can always just increase the game speed. I also wonder how useful the 15 movement points are? If I attack an enemy from stealth, I would get 16, 24 or 32 movement points from fancy footwork anyway. There's no question the 15 extra movement could be useful... But is it worth it compared to perhaps the benefits of taking vile weaponry, paranoia or escape artist?

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
I am questioning interloper now.... It doesn't make a big difference in speed - the normal speed penalty for stealth is 45%, and interloper reduces it to 30% - doesn't seem like much, and I can always just increase the game speed. I also wonder how useful the 15 movement points are? If I attack an enemy from stealth, I would get 16, 24 or 32 movement points from fancy footwork anyway. There's no question the 15 extra movement could be useful... But is it worth it compared to perhaps the benefits of taking vile weaponry, paranoia or escape artist?
no
for those exact reasons
it's quality of life
but you're not looking for quality in your life
the only valid reason to get interloper is because interloping sounds cool

Parabalus

Arcane

Very useful on melee, especially if you don't have haste from TM. Means you can start combat just a bit earlier, i.e., if you would be detected in melee range you can start combat from outside of it and move up.

Escape artist is very useful, almost mandatory as a melee in Expedition unless you want to claw your eyes out.

Vile weaponry great with daggers, less with others.

CHEMS

Scholar

Oh! Sorry, I specialized in Critical Power, not Expertise.

Yikes, I already got Interloper in preparation for Blindsiding. For the 3 veteran feats, I'm planning to get Increased Dexterity, Strider and maybe one other feat - suggestions?

Also, another question - what tattoos are useful? I want to get the anarchy one to increase my critical chance, but I think I'd rather join the protectorate. Is there any tattoo that would be just as good with my build?
Get the anarchy one, joining the protectorate is only worth it in a gun build, because of lube and quality parts. The drones merchant has a shitload of cool stuff for knife builds, including the nailbombs.
fuck interloper, get Sea Dog
A jet ski feat is a wasted veteran feat IMO. Should be a free feat. Also i can't get advanced naval combat using armor and drugs to pump AGI anymore...

roshan

Arcane
Another question - my effective crafting skills are now 140, this is without the house/workbenches or any additional bonuses. Is it worth putting any more points into it?

Or should I now develop another potentially useful skill - maybe throwing for grenades?

CHEMS

Scholar
Another question - my effective crafting skills are now 140, this is without the house/workbenches or any additional bonuses. Is it worth putting any more points into it?

Or should I now develop another potentially useful skill - maybe throwing for grenades?
Far too much points. 100 effective without house + hypercerebrix should be enough. Only 140+ skills in crafting should be for eletronics for uber tier shields and 130 for supersoldier drug/150 for heartbreak poison. Getting more crafting points for stuff you might find in Deep Caverns is not worth it IMO.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik

Far too much points. 100 effective without house + hypercerebrix should be enough. Only 140+ skills in crafting should be for eletronics for uber tier shields and 130 for supersoldier drug/150 for heartbreak poison. Getting more crafting points for stuff you might find in Deep Caverns is not worth it IMO.

There are people who get crafting to 140 (without +house bonus and +Int drug). Thought noone does that anymore

CHEMS

Scholar
There's no reason to do that besides the examples that i said. Top tier shields will cost you 162 effective eletronics, around 1500 capacity (without power management). Endgame gear, even on dominating, won't need more than around 100~120 effective without house/drug/food bonuses. There's even phreaks glove that gives you free 10 eletronics. You'll gimp your build wasting that much into crafting.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

dont need to put many points in for grenades, especially with high dex

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom