Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Had any changes been made to the maximum quality of crafting items? I remember we had a bit of dick measuring contest here in showing who's got the highest quality stuff

Sykar

Arcane
Small pleasures in life :

- Immobilizing an enemy just after he uses adrenaline so when he joins back the fight he is tired,
- Luring a group into its own minefield and throwing one grenade in the middle,
- Fighting an armored melee guy that is so heavy he can barely reach me at the end of his turn
Create noise to lure Death Stalkers into fights with robots which they usually lose horribly.

Update on my boring normal mode run with a somewhat weirdly statted stealth ar guy:

Blew through depot a like it wasn't even there. 7 con meant even when I fucked up and got jumped by several mutant dogs in a couple turns, I had the health to survive the round and heal up. Escape artist came in very handy to get out of being acid blobbed a few times. AR with 9 shot bursts killed everything I bursted at, although goddamn I go through a lotta ammo... but then maxed mercantile and pickpocket means that doesn't matter that much, I can just buy/steal more. 6 Agi let me kite the mutants and obviously sprint is always good to have. Haven't made the switch to metal armor yet, my 7 mechanical damage DT vest was just too handy against robots/gun guys. Maxed stealth lets me pretty well dictate the terms of engagement. Crafted a decent AR at level 9, even with maxed mechanics for my level had to eat an underpie to get mechanics up enough.

I had my doubts about the seemingly non min/maxed stat spread but it's working quite well, and like I said, I'm really appreciating not having 3 con for once. Also it's nice to be able to pass all the various stat checks up to this point either naturally or with a little food/equipment swapping.

Also, had a couple of tough fights where I remembered that grenades exist and they became hilariously easy fights. I still have 0 throwing lol but I guess I've gotten fairly lucky with my throws not going too far off target.

I have essentially unlimited money, with a big pile of guns sitting in front of the junkyard gun merchant. Blaine's been a huge disappointment thus far but I haven't checked back in on him since clearing depot a.

Hit level 10 at the very end of depot a, got concentrated fire for a pretty good boost to burst damage.

I guess it's coming to the point where I should tin can up, although I might try the arena in my current loadout just to see how it does. Anything I should keep in mind to pickpocket now that the world has opened up? Also, where do I go to get the important TM abilities?

CHEMS

Scholar
My new build current underway: the ELECTROCHEMS build, a crazy variant of my original one. ELECTROCHEMS build, or FUCKYOUCRAWLERBUILD is specialized in immobilizing and slowing baddies, while enjoying powerful crits from energy pistols + opportunist. Just taking the war crimes to a whole new level: will my victims be melted? Burned? Maimed? Torched? Shocked? Frozen? CAU ain't got shit on me.

7ssh6p.png

notpl

Arbiter
The wiki says that throwing knives benefit from dexterity's AP reduction, but they actually don't. Recent bug, or is the wiki just wrong?

Tigranes

Arcane
Anything I should keep in mind to pickpocket now that the world has opened up? Also, where do I go to get the important TM abilities?

I like to finish pickpocket at effective 55 or 60 - that allows you to grab most of the easy to reach oddities as soon as the world opens up (e.g. Core City factions), as well as a quest relevant item early in the expansion pack.

Haste is in Rail Crossing.

notpl

Arbiter
Oh, duh, the base cost for throwing knives is just absurdly high. I thought it wasn't applying because they cost 12 AP for me, the same as a base knife attack by sheer coincidence.

Sratopotator

Savant
Super late to the party, just playing Underrail for the first time now (bought it on release, but I kept pushing it down my backlog, cause I'm retarded).
And my god, it is magnificent!
It's the last game that makes me feel like I'm shooting black tar heroin up my veins when I play it.
Exactly this^, I haven't felt such orgasmic RPG stimulation in years.
Thank you, Styg and company, you created something really precious. You probably destroyed my current relationship tho, but fuck that shit, it's worth it.

For my first run, I went with stealthy SMG to learn the ropes. Y'all weren't kidding, it is indeed an easy mode build (just breezed through Depot A, got Black Ops feat at the perfect time).

Build question:
If I'm playing on Normal, did I gimp myself too much for mid/end game content by not going all-in in the DEX department? (SMG build).
I started with 8 DEX, and I will drop all my stat points into it going forward, apart from 2 points (wanna get 7->8 AGI and 6->7 INT for Uncanny Dodge and Gun Nut respectively).
So, is Normal hard enough later on to worry? Maybe I should drop out of my Uncanny Dodge and Gun Nut plans?

Sratopotator

Savant
Oh, yeah, also, saw this review on Steam. Poor casuals :M

"Sorry. This is just too painful! I spread my skill points over a few choices, but definitely put 12 points into guns. It shouldn't be so difficult to equip a gun and load it, but this game seems meant to be a pain in the ass. I'm in the training room. It took quite a while to get a gun loaded and ready to go. I'm shooting, and each shot takes about 20 points of damage off practice robots with 2000 HP each! And, in frustration, I set the game to easy difficulty. I'm giving up."

CHEMS

Scholar
Don't worry about min maxing your builds too much, especially if you're playing on normal. Hell, not even dominating needs min maxed builds, so long you don't make em too bad. SMGs benefit from dexterity as it makes it more cheap to shoot for less AP. Both Gun Nut and Uncanny Dodge are wasted feats in my opinion. I would grab Gun Nut for snipers, but not SMGs. You should get expertise for a smg build, it really ramps up damage on leter levels. I'd ditch uncanny dodge for hit and run and sprint, getting out of line of sight is better than counting on enemies missing you.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
If I'm playing on Normal, did I gimp myself too much for mid/end game content by not going all-in in the DEX department? (SMG build).
I started with 8 DEX, and I will drop all my stat points into it going forward, apart from 2 points (wanna get 7->8 AGI and 6->7 INT for Uncanny Dodge and Gun Nut respectively).
Gun Nut is useless because it adds only slightly over 7.5% of damage. Assuming you won't take it. Power Management is also not really worth it, even if it seems enticing. So save that 1 point.

Skill value formula for ATTRIBUTE >= 4 said:
BASE * (1 + .085*(ATTRIBUTE-4))
Damage formula said:
1+.7*SKILL/100[/code]
Max skill with Expedition said:

DEX 18 damage multiplier said:
>>> 160*(1 + .085*(18-4))
>>> 1+.7*350/100
DEX 17 damage multiplier said:
>>> 160*(1 + .085*(16-4))
>>> 1+.7*323/100
Results said:
# Damage decrease by 18 -> 17 DEX
>>> 1-3.261/3.4499999999999997
≈ 5.47%
# Damage increase by 17 -> 18 DEX
>>> 3.4499999999999997/3.261 - 1
≈ 5.79%

Last edited:

Sratopotator

Savant
Good to know, thanks, wasn't sure if "no min-maxing", which was already mentioned here, applies to SMGs too (they seem weak if certain feats/stat thresholds aren't reached).
So I suppose for Normal it's already enough that I plan ahead a bit, right? Nice!

Regarding perks:
I already took the "SMG baseline" (mobility and other low requirements SMG centered ones) feats, so the choices I'm left with for the future are either traps/grenade focused (Grenadier, Tinkering, maybe some others) that I'm not really too motivated to take (I assume squeezing everything I can out of grenades/traps is not needed on Normal), status effect centered (which do not fit a generic SMG build, right? Maybe Opportunist for Flashbang situations?), or crafting centered ones.

From what I saw browsing the feat list, I still have space for like 2-4 limited-use/barely useful feats, or am I missing some mid/late-game feats that would be great for an SMG build? (already planning on taking Blindsiding and Commando). I even considered taking Pack Rathound, which seems like a waste if there are better alternatives (I'm ok with backtracking to dump items in convenient locations).
As for Uncanny Dodge (and maybe Escape Artist) my logic is simple - I assume that my main tactic won't be enough for certain fights. For real I will be able to outrun or outgun every enemy in the game, CHEMS? Sounds boring, maybe I'll restart due to SMGs being OP :P

EDIT: Amount of movement points gets super silly with Sprint, Hit and Run and Tabi Boots (and with any further bonuses, idk if there are more), so maybe the outrunning part will indeed be easy.

Last edited:

CHEMS

Scholar
For real I will be able to outrun or outgun every enemy in the game, @CHEMS? Sounds boring, maybe I'll restart due to SMGs being OP :P
Most likely... i never ever finish the game on normal, my first playthrough was on normal and i ditched it mid game to start on hard. Pack Rathound is a great feat, but not a priority unless you're running a 3 STR build. If that's the case it's a must have, ammo weights a lot and you'll be carrying plenty around. 130 base carry weight is too little, you can get a +50 belt, a +30 infused pig boot, a +10 regalia and a +10 glove that you can equip for your Al Fabet needs, though.

Gun Nut is useless because it adds only slightly over 7.5% of damage. Assuming you won't take it. Power Management is also not really worth it, even if it seems enticing. So save that 1 point.
Gun nut's value depends on what gun frame you're using. If it's one with a high damage range like hammerer/steel cat/vindicator then it can be ~11% more damage. Which isn't great, but it's not terrible. Though it's definitely not good enough to be worth increasing int for on its own, so yeah, bad choice here.
Maybe Opportunist for Flashbang situations?
Opportunist doesn't work well with flashbangs. Incapacitated ends the moment the target takes damage, so the first shot ends it and the other shots don't get the bonus.
If you can spare two feats then suppressive fire+opportunist is good. Suppressive fire counts as a slow, so all you need to do to activate opportunist is to burst fire. And as SMGs you're pretty much always burst firing.

Sratopotator

Savant
Ah, right, flashbang's effect stops on hit. Brain fart, my bad.
Thanks for the Suppressive Fire suggestion, makes sense.

Jeez, I shouldn't have asked for advice - playing on Normal with those wisdom nuggets will probably make the game trivial. But I do appreciate it, thanks bros :shittydog:

Hi! I've grown a pair and decided to play on Hard after 4 years of owning the game (sadly, as my name indicates I had other addictions). I went with a basic bitch AR build with Time magic and Thought Control. I wanted to roleplay as honourably as possible, so no jewing people with mercantile, no thefts and no pickpocketing.
I'm going with a 3 con, stealth build, minimum throwing (compensated with the commando belt), dropped tailoring and chemistry (just enough for level 2 molotov cocktails) , dropped lockpicking (not hacking though, fuck the Depo A turrets), kept biology for the drugs and to make anticoagulant shots (to save cliff and his gf).
Let me say that playing as the Ranger of Southern Underrail is devouring my finances. I crafted a muzzled, 7.62 Marauder rifle pre-Depo A, looted from the Scavengers a 9mm Huszar and autistically storing all of the weapons from the junkyard fight is the only thing that is keeping me economically on the black. I lose between 70 and 90 points of durability per burst, the merchants are slimy fucks when you are playing on hard and I fear that I won't even have enough for crafting tables if I don't drop persuasion and start pumping mercantile. I'm stealthing through respawning mobs, not because I can't take them, but because the XP is not worth the cost.
Anyways, I'll currently level 13 and cleared the Rathound King quest through diplomacy. Some notable fights I remember are against the psyonic lunatics: gunners and cryomancers stay behind the fire when you throw a molotov cocktail; Brawlers go YOLO and preffer to take damage if it means that they can bash your head in. On normal, fire was a stopper for pretty much everyone.
Finally, I'm getting confused with some component descriptions: should I craft an AA scope on my rifle for the 35% crit damage or a Smart Module? I wanted to carry 2 rifles, an RR, muzled 7.62 Hornet to burst twice in a turn and a muzzled, AA, 9mm Chimera for the comando proc. I'll literally be shooting money but what else I'm going to do with it? Take it to my grave?

Hi! I've grown a pair and decided to play on Hard after 4 years of owning the game (sadly, as my name indicates I had other addictions). I went with a basic bitch AR build with Time magic and Thought Control. I wanted to roleplay as honourably as possible, so no jewing people with mercantile, no thefts and no pickpocketing.
I'm going with a 3 con, stealth build, minimum throwing (compensated with the commando belt), dropped tailoring and chemistry (just enough for level 2 molotov cocktails) , dropped lockpicking (not hacking though, fuck the Depo A turrets), kept biology for the drugs and to make anticoagulant shots (to save cliff and his gf).
Let me say that playing as the Ranger of Southern Underrail is devouring my finances. I crafted a muzzled, 7.62 Marauder rifle pre-Depo A, looted from the Scavengers a 9mm Huszar and autistically storing all of the weapons from the junkyard fight is the only thing that is keeping me economically on the black. I lose between 70 and 90 points of durability per burst, the merchants are slimy fucks when you are playing on hard and I fear that I won't even have enough for crafting tables if I don't drop persuasion and start pumping mercantile. I'm stealthing through respawning mobs, not because I can't take them, but because the XP is not worth the cost.
Anyways, I'll currently level 13 and cleared the Rathound King quest through diplomacy. Some notable fights I remember are against the psyonic lunatics: gunners and cryomancers stay behind the fire when you throw a molotov cocktail; Brawlers go YOLO and preffer to take damage if it means that they can bash your head in. On normal, fire was a stopper for pretty much everyone.
Finally, I'm getting confused with some component descriptions: should I craft an AA scope on my rifle for the 35% crit damage or a Smart Module? I wanted to carry 2 rifles, an RR, muzled 7.62 Hornet to burst twice in a turn and a muzzled, AA, 9mm Chimera for the comando proc. I'll literally be shooting money but what else I'm going to do with it? Take it to my grave?
Wait... are you playing with classic XP? From what I understand, that's the easy mode of XP options. :P

And yeah lol, AR bursting does just chew through ammo and durability like crazy doesn't it.

Wait... are you playing with classic XP? From what I understand, that's the easy mode of XP options. :P

And yeah lol, AR bursting does just chew through ammo and durability like crazy doesn't it.
I tried a hammerer with oddity XP but I was too smoothbrained to get a decent tactic roling. I wanted a character that wouldn't make me ragequit a few hours in.

jackofshadows

Magister
Not really. It's been tuned over the patches. Still, hitting the cap is much easier with the classic mode.

As for AR build - it's a pita to play w/o mechanics u to 50 in order to make mass repair kits. Another alternative - speccing disassemple although that's a tad extreme solution.

Well, by some ungodly luck I managed to get a Rapid Reloader from Lucas' shop so I finally crafted my 9mm hornet with a muzzle break. Also, I forgot how useful a shield emitter was against eletrokynesis lurkers. I have a shitty one I found inside the GMS station Burrower nest but it has enough charge to resist the stunning chain lightning attack. It's a shame it doesn't stop Neural Overload or Telekinetik Punch.
Also, it's true what was said about classic xp mode being easy mode regardless of the difficulty. Just by walking from SGS to Rail Crossing I got almost 13K XP, enough to get me to level 14 and get the commando Perk. My strategy now consists of sneaking, burst, burst, burst, premeditation + break will or adrenaline + grenade to control my environment.
Finally, caltrops were a godsend against Cut-throats and Assassins, they lost all their movement points right as they approached me. Will caltrops also work on crawlers? I don't want to chuck my molotovs that easily.

CHEMS

Scholar
They work, but crawlers fucking teleport and have a assload of MP. The only right way to deal with crawlers and death stalkers is setting everything on fire, including you and any bystanders nearby.

agris

Arcane
Patron
They work, but crawlers fucking teleport and have a assload of MP. The only right way to deal with crawlers and death stalkers is setting everything on fire, including you and any bystanders nearby.

You don’t need a build for that friend, you just need molotovs!

Demolition-Expert.png

notpl

Arbiter
Crawlers teleport away from you, but they can't teleport to you. Also, once you find one or two of them, it becomes really easy to predict where they teleport to. It's always roughly the same distance away, and usually behind something, so if you look around you and you see any kind of a terrain block you can bet the crawler's waiting behind it.

Finally, I'm getting confused with some component descriptions: should I craft an AA scope on my rifle for the 35% crit damage or a Smart Module?
Smart module got nerfed to not activate on bursts so there's no point to it on ARs. It only works with attacks which have a cooldown now. Same with smart goggles. At least it makes your choice easy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom