Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrated / Overrated Consoles

Black Angel

Arcane
Huh? What's this thread titled

Underrated / Overrated Consoles

doing in the JRPG subforum? Shouldn't this be in General Gaming?

Berengar

Learned
I am SHOCKED that the N64, the console that had 2.5 RPGS, is being hated on by the RPGCodex.

Honestly everyone is so over the top with their love or hatred of the thing that I just consider it "rated" now lol.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
The Playstation Vita will forever have a special place in my heart and i literally have never seen anyone else have it in real life. The amount of translated and untranslated JRPGs, it's OLED screen on fucking 2011 and basically being a portable PS3 with perfect emulation of PSX and PSP make it the perfect JRPG machine.
YT3bd6q.jpeg

Ninjerk

Arcane
The Playstation Vita will forever have a special place in my heart and i literally have never seen anyone else have it in real life. The amount of translated and untranslated JRPGs, it's OLED screen on fucking 2011 and basically being a portable PS3 with perfect emulation of PSX and PSP make it the perfect JRPG machine.
YT3bd6q.jpeg
3e2.jpg

Higher Animal

Arcane
Honestly the Gamecube is probably my most underrated console of all time. I played it less than the PS2 but the games, especially multiplayer, were high class. NHL Hitz 20-02, Smash Melee, Super Monkey Ball as well as games like Rogue Squadron and Pikmin are just phenomenal.

While I don't like the 360 at all, or what it brought to games, or Microsoft doing anything other than providing some tools on a more open platform like Windows to create games, the fact of the matter is that as a console, considered in itself, it had the largest library of titles from a generally bad era in games and so it can't be overrated even though it was likely part of the problem.

The most overrated console, in my mind, is the PS4. This is literally a sub optimal PC with playstation aesthetics. It's probably impossible to hold this in high regard.

I'd like to think the newest Playstation offering has some value, as it seems to have some cool haptic technology in its controllers and some more thought put into its hardware, but I can't shake the feeling that consoles are boondoggles and have been for quite some time.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
How is this thread going for 3 pages with no one bashing console owners? Sucks, it has to be me. ahem

If you bought a 32-bit+ console then you deserve a tag for contributing to the Decline in such a blatant manner. It's because of you that we can't have nice things.

Higher Animal

Arcane
The Xbox 360 is a goldmine of story-driven AA+ local coop, and now that local coop seems to be largely veering towards 8-bit cartoon indie trash, 6th/7th generation emulators are a necessity. On the 360 alone I'd say there are easily over 50 such games, give or take 10 for the few where local coop is also possible on PC.

Yeah I think that period of games was generally weak but denying the breadth of titles the 360 had is ludicrous. Epic multiplayer games, story-action, usually the best ports except for high end PC stuff, generally a lot of fun gaming experiences to be had. I remember when the tide turned on the 360 post RROD and after Microsoft siphoned out all the third party stuff from Sony exclusivity and people liked the better PS exclusives, but every single year 360 had more titles and more options for playing. It's really too bad about the closed online architecture winning out in video games, but 360 had titles.

Jaguar's power will be unleashed again... MK1 arcade perfect port is on the way:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom