Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Underwhelmed by Fallout :(

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Not that totally black fog of war, just that greyish stuff, which covers the areas which your character is not seeing.
I'm quite sure you're mistaken, Sir. Last time I checked there was no fog of war in fallout games.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
*Quickly installs Fallout*

:hmmm: Ok, don't mind me, I'm a retard. There is nothing like that in Fallout. Please continue your day fine Sir. :)

Sykar

Arcane
Is this some kind of trolling thread?
roshan
Play the game for 2 times at least, before you complain. It is not on pair with PS:T concerning the dialogues, but it is much better utilising different level of intelligence of the main character. And certainly Fo:1 is a little bit better than FO:2. Also play it without the Res. mod.

FO 2 did a few things better than FO 1. It mostly boils down to how much you mind the overuse of all those cultural references/wackiness.

roshan

Arcane
Do you really think that this is how the game was meant to be played?

2589496-5353925746-fallo.jpg

Neither was it meant to be played on a widescreen 24 inch LED monitor, with the pixels popping out and the aspect ratio completely mangled. That being said, that screenshot looks like shit, everything is too small. This is what my game looks like:

15ey9tj.jpg

A fairly reasonable balance between old and new.

Gord

Arcane
Didn't Fallout FIXT (or the highres patch included in it) add an option for Fog of War? Maybe that's what J_C was remembering...

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Didn't Fallout FIXT (or the highres patch included in it) add an option for Fog of War? Maybe that's what J_C was remembering...

The high res patch has a pseudo-IE fog of war mode, yes. I don't like the way it works, though, because the uncovering of the fog of war is based on line of sight instead of a circle around your character. Think characters popping into view as you turn corners, and weird black blind spots remaining on the map after you've explored it.

At least. that was how it worked last time I checked.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Oh I think there was at least one instance of the fog of war in the original game, IIRC the deathclaws in V13 came out of nowhere after you opened the door.

roshan

Arcane
OK, so at Junktown now. So the first area has a guard that introduces you to the town, and.... nothing else. Except a doctor who you can find out is turning humans into food. But you can't confront him about it. Neither can you talk to the mayor about it. Started with the 2nd area, and thought thwarting the assassination attempt was cool, but totally unrewarding nevertheless as combat in this game is so pathetically easy even though I have yet to put a single point into small guns after tagging it... I can't believe that the Codex has been bitching about Dragonfall being too easy?

Marcelles: "I'm just a hotel manager bub, don't ask too much of me."
Vault Dweller: "No thanks."

How the hell does this dialogue make sense in any way? The entire thing is so B-Grade... I thought this was supposed to be the 2nd best RPG of all time, maybe I'm just suffering from extremely inflated expectations, I always thought that I would be blown away by the setting and atmosphere and dialogue and roleplaying if I played Fallout. If I had known that it would be like Fallout 2, but with far less than a quarter of the content density and really erratic and often flat out terrible writing and a mostly bland gameworld I would perhaps not be so disappointed.

Shadenuat

Arcane
In the context of muhimmersion and Fallout3 it's interesting that, imo, the best part of original Fallout was exactly the atmosphere, thanks to the setting of course, but also due to unique looking sprites, ambient sound and music. Only after it I'd put other stuff like open world, some reactivity, fabulous death animations and interesting details in the world like radiation, which you had to deal with like, once, but that once was total horror heaven (Glow).
You could also puzzle together a serviceable enough story by reading all tapes and talking to important NPCs, typing keywords (sometimes).
But it can't be argued that game just lacked content compared to later RPGs, so I think it's understandable that it feels underwhelming especially after PST or even Fallout 2.

I still think the setting of Fallout 1 is the most well balanced of all Fallouts. Just enough dusty, just enough raiders, just enough mutants, and just enough of it's well loved dark humor.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The high resolution patch included in Fallout fixt includes a x2 option that you should definitely enable. At 1080p that means you'll be running at 960x540, which is much closer to the original game, and you don't get any ugly scaling on a LCD.

Also, op is a fag etc.

AngryKobold

Arcane
Mods, patches, mods for mods to get mods working correctly. All this effort, instead just running it in the native resolution. Great job, keep going.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The high resolution patch included in Fallout fixt includes a x2 option that you should definitely enable. At 1080p that means you'll be running at 960x540, which is much closer to the original game, and you don't get any ugly scaling on a LCD.

Also, op is a fag etc.
960x540 is somewhat better than the original, but how is that you don't get ugly scaling? I guess playing on anything other than the native resulation gets some ugly scaling.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Mods, patches, mods for mods to get mods working correctly. All this effort, instead just running it in the native resolution. Great job, keep going.
Yeah, because the game looks great with native resolution.
This is how the game should look:
play-fallout-1-in-windows-7.gif

Nice, clean, sharp graphics.

Unfortunately on an HD monitor, it looks like this:
mvox9v.jpg

Perkel

Arcane
OP take my advice and just go west. You will soon find answer why Fallout 1 was is awesome.
It was my first ending i got and i didn't join mutes in a way like other people did.

AngryKobold

Arcane
Yeah, because the game looks great with native resolution.
This is how the game should look:
Nice, clean, sharp graphics.

Unfortunately on an HD monitor, it looks like this:

Too bad monitors handle the resolution scaling a lot better than your poor unsmoothed resize in MS Paintbrush! A while ago I ran FO on 22" (native 1680x1050) and it looks JUST FINE. Put away the ale.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
960x540 is somewhat better than the original, but how is that you don't get ugly scaling? I guess playing on anything other than the native resulation gets some ugly scaling.
With exactly 2x scaling there is no stretching. Each pixel is expanded to take 4 pixels exactly.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Too bad monitors handle the resolution scaling a lot better than your poor unsmoothed resize in MS Paintbrush! A while ago I ran FO on 22" (native 1680x1050) and it looks JUST FINE. Put away the ale.
Maybe it is not that blurry, but is nowhere near as sharp as it used to be.

sgm

Educated
OK, so at Junktown now. So the first area has a guard that introduces you to the town, and.... nothing else. Except a doctor who you can find out is turning humans into food. But you can't confront him about it. Neither can you talk to the mayor about it. Started with the 2nd area, and thought thwarting the assassination attempt was cool, but totally unrewarding nevertheless as combat in this game is so pathetically easy even though I have yet to put a single point into small guns after tagging it... I can't believe that the Codex has been bitching about Dragonfall being too easy?

Marcelles: "I'm just a hotel manager bub, don't ask too much of me."
Vault Dweller: "No thanks."

How the hell does this dialogue make sense in any way? The entire thing is so B-Grade... I thought this was supposed to be the 2nd best RPG of all time, maybe I'm just suffering from extremely inflated expectations, I always thought that I would be blown away by the setting and atmosphere and dialogue and roleplaying if I played Fallout. If I had known that it would be like Fallout 2, but with far less than a quarter of the content density and really erratic and often flat out terrible writing and a mostly bland gameworld I would perhaps not be so disappointed.

There is much you can do even at Junktown. It's one of the first places in the game which really lets you side with different factions resulting in a very different ending. The Hub has even more. This game does not hold your hand and give you a quest log for every degenerate NPC that you talk to like some Bethesda game. You need to think about every line that people give you and probably write shit down to ask other NPCs in other places/towns who might be more informed than shitkickers in Shady Sands. Seriously, what do you expect ignorant farmers that left a Vault maybe a generation ago at most to know about the wasteland? They're isolated. The "Tell Me About"/Keyword system does give you a lot of info. Have you tried that yet? Even Seth and Aradesh tell you a lot if you use it. Hell even Tandi knows more about the world than she lets on. IF you ask her the right things.

And Codexers whining about Fallout graphics. :what:

Caleb462

Educated
Junktown is where is starts to get REALLY good, and it's only up from there. Your criticisms aren't invalid, but as another poster said, fallout is more than the sum of its parts.

Oh, I see you're already there. Missed that part.

B-Grade? Well, yeah, there's very much an intentional B-movie vibe to the whole thing...

But any criticism of fallout makes little sense to me anyway, it's my favorite game of all time by a longshot and I probably can't discuss the game in any objective sense. Bland gameworld? Does not compute.

Sykar

Arcane
There is much you can do even at Junktown. It's one of the first places in the game which really lets you side with different factions resulting in a very different ending. The Hub has even more. This game does not hold your hand and give you a quest log for every degenerate NPC that you talk to like some Bethesda game. You need to think about every line that people give you and probably write shit down to ask other NPCs in other places/towns who might be more informed than shitkickers in Shady Sands. Seriously, what do you expect ignorant farmers that left a Vault maybe a generation ago at most to know about the wasteland? They're isolated. The "Tell Me About"/Keyword system does give you a lot of info. Have you tried that yet? Even Seth and Aradesh tell you a lot if you use it. Hell even Tandi knows more about the world than she lets on. IF you ask her the right things.

And Codexers whining about Fallout graphics. :what:

Yeah, don't get the graphics whinage. I can play stuff like Wasteland 1 and have no problems with it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom