Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant is a disaster

Glic2000

Educated
I thought Valve was literally made of money.

Codex Year of the Donut
Crap... refunding a backer copy does not seem to be possible even though Steam says this and I meet the requirements: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6345-QIDX-7244

Steam said:
Can I still refund my pre-order after the game comes out?

Preordered games that have been released are still eligible for a refund, as long as the refund request is submitted within two weeks of the game’s release, and the game has been played for less than two hours.
Good.

Maybe this will teach you an important lesson.

Eggs is eggs

Learned
Is Typhon supposed to be Tyball from the original UU? And I'm assuming Ascendant is their substitution for Avatar.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Is Typhon supposed to be Tyball from the original UU? And I'm assuming Ascendant is their substitution for Avatar.

I haven't played it but don't bother with continuity.
Ultima Underworld is supposed to happen in the same universe than the other Ultima games except it's not actually ; Shroud of the Avatar is Ultima 10 but really they will never admit it and supposedly Underworld Ascendant is both a sequel to Ultima Underworld "in the same universe" but not actually and it's also in the same universe of Shroud of the Avatar but really not actually.

Curratum

I think Tyball is just the end boss of UA. The big bad is Typhon but they couldn't bother modelling and animating him, so they just put up an oversized lich in the last level, which I think is Tyball and that's it.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
But who was typhone!?
maxresdefault.jpg

Only true immersive sim fans will get this...

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Just tried it out, but having an issue where turning mouselook back off (to pick up items) causes the mouse to pan uncontrollably across the screen left and right. Seems like it'd be great to play with otherwise.

I have the same issue (tried on UU2.)

SlamDunk

Arcane
Crap... refunding a backer copy does not seem to be possible even though Steam says this and I meet the requirements: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6345-QIDX-7244

Steam said:
Can I still refund my pre-order after the game comes out?

Preordered games that have been released are still eligible for a refund, as long as the refund request is submitted within two weeks of the game’s release, and the game has been played for less than two hours.

Uh.. you can only refund games you've bought through Steam.
Yeah... I realized this while falling asleep last night.

Good.

Maybe this will teach you an important lesson.
Well, there are good and bad Kickstarters. I'm a very proud backer of Kingdom Come: Deliverance, for example.

Last edited:

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Just tried it out, but having an issue where turning mouselook back off (to pick up items) causes the mouse to pan uncontrollably across the screen left and right. Seems like it'd be great to play with otherwise.

I have the same issue (tried on UU2.)
Wrote the author of the hack, and he pointed out that DOSBox has an issue where the tab key will get stuck, if you've tabbed in and out of the game. So if you have the issue, try pressing the tab key while in the game. Worked for me (Although I only tried it on UU1).

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Wrote the author of the hack, and he pointed out that DOSBox has an issue where the tab key will get stuck, if you've tabbed in and out of the game. So if you have the issue, try pressing the tab key while in the game. Worked for me (Although I only tried it on UU1).
Thanks, I will try it after work.

Big Wrangle

Decided to check some more videos and holy shit, the dialogue is gamey as fuck. Now, I have no issue with games trying to explain and elaborate on mechanics via the game's narrative like in Prey, immersive sims and all, but Ascendant is just so fucking blatant about it. There is integrating mechanics into the world, and then thete is shoehorning things that any normal person can figure out into the writing.

Curratum

I AM HERE NOT TO TEACH, BUT TO ANNOY!

People told them the narrator is complete shit, they said they would tone it down, they did not.

Max Heap

Arcane
Aaaaand steam reviews are back to "Mostly Negative".

Still not a single review on metacritic.
User Score's at a proud 2.1 already though.

Big Wrangle

It's gonna be like Shroud of the Avatar where journalists collectively shrug and move to other things.

Curratum

I tweeted Jim Sterling and PC Gamer, can't hurt to try.

Edit: Max, I hope you did put up a negative review, I didn't recognize which one is yours but I thumb up all negative ones so it's good I suppose! :D

Big Wrangle

Jim Sterling taking the piss at Underworld Ascendant would essentially be burning the corpse. If it triggers Razorfist and he starts screeching at dissenters again, that would be worth it. :lol:

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
The player numbers are a thing to behold, less than five days after release and people have already lost interest. I do hope we get at least one English language magazine review at some point.

They chose a terrible time to launch it too, when their target audience is busy playing better and more polished games:

Untitled.png

Big Wrangle

Who will win
A comeback of senile industry veterans to a respected genre everybody cried for
or
One snake oil merchant with an online spin-off nobody asked for

Max Heap

Arcane
I tweeted Jim Sterling and PC Gamer, can't hurt to try.

Edit: Max, I hope you did put up a negative review, I didn't recognize which one is yours but I thumb up all negative ones so it's good I suppose! :D

Oh don't worry. I slapped a red thumbs down onto that game's review page just for wasting my time.
It's literally the first time I ever wrote a negative review. Then again I haven't really been taking any chances with my other purchases.
I only got this because I've been following it forever - just to get it over with.
But thank god I didn't pay full price for it :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom