Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Unknown Realm: The Siege Perilous - an 8-bit RPG for PC and Commodore 64

Viata

Arcane
Not gonna lie, I'd be amazed if they even had 10 hours of content made.

Saduj

Arcane
I guess the poll could be taken as a positive sign in that it indicates that maybe they still feel obligated to deliver something.

adamantyr

Arcane
Developer
Seems like he's very keen on getting a release out sooner rather than later.

Not that he wants to hear MY advice (believe me he doesn't) but I'd just make sure that you, the designer, is satisfied with the story told. I had a goal on my own game to fill four 180K disks with content, and I did so, and with the amount of levels, magic items, and general quests, I think it's a fairly good balance that isn't too short or too long.

Pacing IS a serious consideration for any game. See Deathlord for an example of a game that goes WAY overboard on content to the point it becomes meaningless.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have no idea what happened here. The two demos (town demo, demo leading up to the cultist ambush) I played a long time ago were functional, reasonably polished, and fun. It looked like all he had to do was build maps and add content. Yet, here we are.

Ladonna

Arcane
I have no idea what happened here. The two demos (town demo, demo leading up to the cultist ambush) I played a long time ago were functional, reasonably polished, and fun. It looked like all he had to do was build maps and add content. Yet, here we are.

What? What demo? You must have been the leader of the paid fan club to get a demo (or more likely you stuffed up and mixed this thread up with Skald).

Unwanted

SunKing

He/Him
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex Year of the Donut
Oh yeah, I was thinking about SKALD. Damn, wrong thread. I knew this day would be shit when the morning coffee wasn't working.
Skald also appears to be in development hell but unlike this game they seem to have some progress.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
thinking.png
You go from not publishing Kickstarter updates for years to writing up fluff articles like this? But okay, let's see if a beta test actually happens.

https://stirringdragon.games/playtesting-vs-beta-testing/

Playtesting vs. Beta testing

Now that we’re about to embark on the perilous journey of looking for Beta testers for our RPG game Unknown RealmTM, we thought an article on the difference between playtesting and beta testing would be in order. It’s a common misconception even amongst some developers, especially indie devs, that beta testing is when playtesting tasks take place. When in reality, play testing is an entirely different and something that should be completed long before beta testing.

Playtesting and beta testing are both important stages in the development of a video game, but they serve different purposes and involve different types of testing. Understanding the differences between these two types of testing can help game developers create a more polished and enjoyable final product.

Playtesting is an early stage of testing that takes place during the development of a game. It is typically conducted by the game’s developers and a small group of testers who are familiar with the game’s mechanics and design. The main purpose of playtesting is to identify balance issues in the game before it is released to the public. Playtesters provide valuable feedback on gameplay, controls, and overall enjoyment, and developers use this feedback to make necessary changes and improvements. Playtesting is about finding and enhancing the fun of the game.

remember-to-have-fun.jpg

Beta testing, on the other hand, is a later stage of testing that involves a larger group of testers who are representative of the game’s target audience. Beta testing usually takes place just before the game is released to the public, and it is used to identify any remaining issues or bugs that may have been missed during earlier stages of testing. Beta testers are often recruited from the game’s community or through online sign-ups, and they are typically given access to a near-final version of the game in exchange for their feedback. Beta testing is not the time to make changes to a games look and feel, but to find and fix things that may have been missed by the development team such as bugs, misspelled words, art/audio errors, etc. Beta testing is going on a bug hunt.

bug-scavenger-hunt-kids-printable.png

One key difference between playtesting and beta testing is the expertise of the testing groups. Playtesting is usually conducted by a small, specialized group of testers who have in-depth knowledge of the game’s mechanics and design, while beta testing involves a larger, more diverse group of testers who may not have the same level of expertise. Most companies do their playtesting in-house or even with specially selected focus groups. However, depending on the type of game, some developers may decide to release earlier versions of their game for playtesting feedback, which is commonly done with “early access” releases.

In summary, playtesting and beta testing are both crucial stages in the development of a video game. Playtesting is focused on identifying and fixing issues during the early stages of development, while beta testing is used to identify any remaining issues just before the game is released to the public. Both types of testing are important for creating a high-quality and enjoyable final product.

Viata

Arcane
I can see it now. That explains everything. The game is taking so long to release because they hardly have time to code when they have to deal with daily attacks from employers of triple A rpgs.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I can see it now. That explains everything. The game is taking so long to release because they hardly have time to code when they have to deal with daily attacks from employers of triple A rpgs.
Yeah, and constant sabotage attempts by Todd.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
If someone here is invited for beta testing, can they share some pictures and videos so we can actually see the game?

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
If someone here is invited for beta testing, can they share some pictures and videos so we can actually see the game?
Just finished exploring the first city and did most of the side quests. I think it's shaping up really nicely, although the assassination quest was a bit too difficult. I asked Bruce if I could share screenshots but he hasn't replied me. Will update once he has.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom