Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Unknown Realm: The Siege Perilous - an 8-bit RPG for PC and Commodore 64

shilence

Educated
In honor of reaching the $100k mark for Unknown Realm, we are giving each one of our backers ($19 and above) two games for the price of one! This mystery bonus game is a never-before-released gag/parody game that Bruce made for friend and game industry hero, RJ Mical (of Amiga fame) for his birthday early last year. Currently there is only one person in the world who has a copy of this game besides us and that is RJ.

Don't know if he released it, but since there's only one video on YouTube showing it I guess it wasn't

That game was made with Shoot-'Em-Up Construction Kit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoot-'Em-Up_Construction_Kit

Hahaha, oh boy! Even I made games with that :D

Narushima : Real fans know that even Richard Garriott himself was inspired retroactively by Unknown Realm©

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Don't know if he released it, but since there's only one video on YouTube showing it I guess it wasn't

RJ's World blog
DSCN0331.JPG

DSCN0330.JPG

That game was made with Shoot-'Em-Up Construction Kit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoot-'Em-Up_Construction_Kit
Or maybe Garry Kitchen's Gamemaker
GarryKitchen-boxfront.jpg

Or Arcade Game Condtruction Kit
Adv-game-con-kit-box.png

Those gaming quotes.... RG is doing NFT shit games now and even did facebook shit. These "gaming" legends aren't so great when you start delving deeper into their schemes & lifestyles.

adamantyr

Arcane
Developer
I'm not surprised he'd want Shay Addams (who's name he didn't even spell right), he was a prolific computer journalist of the 80's and his Book of Ultima is pretty much 100% dedicated to brown-nosing Richard Garriott and Origin Systems.

I loved the books 30 years ago when I first read them. Now, after seeing RG's repeated failures to produce anything new, plus reading new biographies like Through the Moongate and the write-ups at Digital Antiquarian, I don't have the same level of blind admiration I once did. And with his latest claim of a NFT-based CRPG, he's clearly not done chasing fads.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
I'm not surprised he'd want Shay Addams (who's name he didn't even spell right), he was a prolific computer journalist of the 80's and his Book of Ultima is pretty much 100% dedicated to brown-nosing Richard Garriott and Origin Systems.

I loved the books 30 years ago when I first read them. Now, after seeing RG's repeated failures to produce anything new, plus reading new biographies like Through the Moongate and the write-ups at Digital Antiquarian, I don't have the same level of blind admiration I once did. And with his latest claim of a NFT-based CRPG, he's clearly not done chasing fads.

Richard's always ripped off everything and everyone he could to resell it under his marketing gimmicks. It has always been that way (so it's karma how EA would do to "Origin" with their downloader the same thing Richard did to "Avatar".)

By that, Unknown Realm is an authentic Lord British game.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I suppose it is the tease they tossed for UR. It looks good for what it is but then it literally becomes UNKNOWN as to what the hell the REALM's state of developement is at. At this point I think the game is actually just to lead people on and collect more $$$ from the nostalgia possessed zombies. I almost bought into it myself but when I tally up current KS i'm supporting that are failing... I said nah.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
People kickstarted Unknown Realms in order to cause the creation of a truly oldschool RPG. Skald was then made. Post hoc ergo propter hoc. People got what they wanted!

Mortmal

Arcane
136000$ for a 4 min trailer that makes you believe there's gameplay behind, no updates since 2 years, a kickstarter in 2016 for a delivery date of 2017. Of course it's a scam and a good one.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I sure as hell hope not but who knows. It would SEUCK!

Unlike Unknown Realm, the Skald dev has shown his progress all the time and the demo has been updated a couple of times, so we can actually track that things are happening. Whereupon the UR devs just post insane twitter updates of how great they are but haven't shown even a single new screenshot in years.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
People kickstarted Unknown Realms in order to cause the creation of a truly oldschool RPG. Skald was then made. Post hoc ergo propter hoc. People got what they wanted!

Calling it, they're going to use this argument unironically at some point.

Atrachasis

Augur
136000$ for a 4 min trailer that makes you believe there's gameplay behind, no updates since 2 years, a kickstarter in 2016 for a delivery date of 2017. Of course it's a scam and a good one.

Disagree. A good scam would probably put in the effort to at least produce mock-ups now and then to keep the donations flowing. It ain't that difficult! Even I can stage fake screenshots:

jirzkpw.png

See? It's the Avatar in an unknown realm.

Alphons

Cipher
I fail to find words for this

https://www.webmd.com/schizophrenia/delusions-persecution
What Are Delusions of Grandeur?

It’s when you believe that you have more power, wealth, smarts, or other grand traits than is true.

Symptoms may include:

Change in your mood. You may be irritable, angry, or feel low.

Hallucinations. You see, hear, or feel things connected to your delusion that aren’t really there.

Grandiose delusions rarely happen by themselves. Most often, you are likely to also have delusions of persecution, a related condition where you’re convinced that others are out to harm, conspire against, or otherwise mistreat you.

Saduj

Arcane
Unknown Realm transcends media and has inspired countless games across all sorts of formats and we know this because nobody associated with these games has ever directly said they were inspired by Unknown Realm! Just a few notables: Checkers (regular AND Chinese), Uno, Basketball, Tag, Dominos, Cribbage, Craps, Chess, Hide and Seek, Hearts, all forms of Poker, Candyland, Backgammon, Snakes and Ladders, Spades, Kick the Can, Simon Says, Hockey, Clue (game AND movie), Go Fish, Trouble, Baseball and Gin Rummy were all inspired by Unknown Realm. Look it up and you won't find anyone saying so directly so obviously it must be true!

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom