Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unreal Engine 5 - holy shit!

tritosine2k

Erudite
Overcast isn't too easy either because even if realtime ambient occlusion & variants work well there you'll eventually run out of screen space pixel resolution against distance and grazing angles and can't trace pixels anymore, plus it rarely runs at full res anyway ( even less so with popular temporal smearing techniques vs. MSAA).
I so much admire Carmack for never settling for this stuff.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
how you can compare beauty from dos era like codex favorite ( 47th best crpg in codex poll! ) Wizardry I: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord:
wizardry-proving-grounds-of-the-mad-overlord_2.gif

to this shit on unreal engine 5 is beyond me...
just add ray tracing!

mkultra

Augur
Overcast isn't too easy either because even if realtime ambient occlusion & variants work well there you'll eventually run out of screen space pixel resolution against distance and grazing angles and can't trace pixels anymore, plus it rarely runs at full res anyway ( even less so with popular temporal smearing techniques vs. MSAA).
I so much admire Carmack for never settling for this stuff.
Nothing comes easy if you're going for something which will look close to indistinguishable from a real-life photo or video. But again, sunny is much harder i would say, i've been wowed by so many overcast demos and never by a sunny weather demo.

The smart thing those Unrecord developers are doing is they’re not trying to mimic reality as you actually see it, they’re mimicking shitty digital camera footage with blown out lighting, washed out colors, and pixel artifacting on stuff like the trees outside with the blown out lighting.

Like the environment is nice, even nicer (much nicer) than what they showed up last year. But the thing that really sells it are the animations along with some spot on mimicry of low quality body cam footage. Probably helps that they’re also “censoring” people’s faces so they don’t have to deal with doing something that would be harder to make look real that would break the illusion.

The approach reminds me somewhat of Kane and Lynch 2 with its whole “crappy 2000s handheld digital camera” aesthetic. Although I like the gerrish looking shitty 2000s camera aesthetic more than modern body cams. Not that Unrecord isn’t more graphically impressive. K&L2 also blurred stuff out to keep with the aesthetic.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Something cool for unreal

I don't think its exclusively Unreal though, it exports to most usable formats its just Unreal and Unity have dedicated features.
I've looked into Cascadeur before, seemed like a good way to clean up mo-cap because its physics based.
That said $300USD for commercial license is a bit pricey. But yeah I'm considering it because I know I'm going to have big problems in the animation pipeline (ie. feet slide).

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Yeah, 300 one time flat fee for middleware is nothing. Even fonts are rarely that cheap.
i mean yeah but then add on the equipment and all the other middlewares I'd need to make it viable, it all adds up. I have a lot of middlewares I need to buy still, Generally I justify <$100 first and then move up.
Like I get it, its worth it, I've spent waaay more for worse products so yeah if I could justify it I would buy it. But yeah my budgets are tight at the moment and I'm in the midst of a hardware upgrade first. It all adds up.
Is it a flat fee or is there more too it?
Flat fee, you pay a 1 year sub and it becomes perpetual.

agris

Arcane
Patron
You’re just broke RobotSquirrel, no need to hem and haw so much about it.

Sometimes you got resources, and sometimes $300 is a lot of money. Doesn’t mean the price isn’t cheap though.

duskvile

Fabulous Optimist
I think Epic should introduce some kind of quality assurance within Unreal API. For example some GPU crashes in the game build should be anticipated before releasing the game.
They should take an example Lords of the fallen.
Some bugs are made by devs like AI pathing, quests bugs and collisions.

Can artificial intelligence be helpful to software engineers when writing API for new Unreal 5.4+ to anticipate those sort of things?

Shin

Cipher
I think Epic should introduce some kind of quality assurance within Unreal API. For example some GPU crashes in the game build should be anticipated before releasing the game.
They should take an example Lords of the fallen.
Some bugs are made by devs like AI pathing, quests bugs and collisions.

Can artificial intelligence be helpful to software engineers when writing API for new Unreal 5.4+ to anticipate those sort of things?
Obviously, "AI" "can" be helpful in a lot of instances. I don't expect that current "AI" systems will be helpful in this context anytime soon though.
Having said that, I do believe that in the next 10-20 years, (the ease of) automatic software testing will benefit tremendously from the current artificial machine learning boom. Although I'm doubtful that Epic has enough "good data" to train a model effectively to find faults in all the moving parts (code, middleware, assets, etc) of an UE game. Also, since there aren't any real competitors in the "AAA" space they operate in, they don't have a lot of incentives to build something like that. Everyone and their sister is already using UE5 to make their next game.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I've been discussing this for a while now. All Epic needs to do is
a) code a plugin that serializes/deserializes blueprints to text
b) train a model on all blueprints and code available to them on the marketplace, which is huge

This model will make games.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Whoever watched it, any takeaways?
The main thing that stood out to me was in-editor rigging and weight/skin binding. Cool that its possible to do that within the editor, but lets be honest here its a gimmick you don't entirely need this. But its free so eh what ever, if you cbf learning Blender I could see it being useful.

I like how they shit on Starfield by making it a mod of fortnite lol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom