Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Unwritten: Echoes of Twilight

viralata

Literate
Hi there!
I'm an RPG fan, mostly of TES series.
Yesterday I saw this on Gopher's youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_NMJSI0mxU
According to Gopher, is made by modders.
Does anyone knows anything else about it?

viralata

Literate
Yes, it looks like they won't reach their goal. Back to Skyrim then, I guess :)

BTW, the nickname translated should be something like "stray dog" :D

Oesophagus

Arcane
[*]Player Driven Gameplay

Actually, this I would like, a game where you don't have to stop the big bad, but your own motivations drive the storyline

[*]Open World Map with Few Load Screens
[*]Unique Explorable Landscapes
[*]Six Playable Races with Rich Histories (Unlock More by Hitting Our Stretch Goals!)

This reminds me of... somethig
[*]Crafting, Trading, Economy
[*]Customized Companions and Mounts
[*]Dungeon Diving & Rewards
[*]Unique Weaponry with Race Bonuses
MMO nonsense.
Overall, with W2, ToN and PE slowly coming our way, you'd need something really special to convince me

Oesophagus

Arcane
Actually, this I would like, a game where you don't have to stop the big bad, but your own motivations drive the storyline

unfortunately this often means there is no storyline to speak of except what randomly comes up through procedural generation.

Or a complex branching plot. True, you'd be confined to what the writer deems as your choices, but it's still better than the biowarean Oh shit let's chase after the bad guy, he's always one step ahead of us shtick

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

unfortunately this often means there is no storyline to speak of except what randomly comes up through procedural generation.

Or a complex branching plot. True, you'd be confined to what the writer deems as your choices, but it's still better than the biowarean Oh shit let's chase after the bad guy, he's always one step ahead of us shtick

The style of plot doesn't matter, doesn't matter what you're doing if you do it in a shitty manner. We just need quality. But that is not a concept videogame writers can wrap their head around.

viralata

Literate

When you say Biowarean, do you mean Dragon Age or Mass Effect series? Personally, I loved the turnaround in the first ME storyline (I won't spoil it for the ones that haven't played it yet).
Anyway, either Dragon Age (I only played Origins) and Mass Effect brought some deep character roles that I'd wish to see more times in other games.

Oesophagus

Arcane
When you say Biowarean, do you mean Dragon Age or Mass Effect series? Personally, I loved the turnaround in the first ME storyline (I won't spoil it for the ones that haven't played it yet).
Anyway, either Dragon Age (I only played Origins) and Mass Effect brought some deep character roles that I'd wish to see more times in other games.

ME1 had cosmetic choice that didn't really affect the plot. At key points your choice is either "I'll do it" or "I don't want to, but I'll do it"

But generally speaking, Bioware only knows how to write one plot - a great evil is threatening the galaxy/kingdom, and the protagonist must gather the support of diverse and quarelling third parties to stop it.

As for character roles, does every companion really need to have a troubled past and daddy issues? Can't we just have Cassidy from F2? Only companion that didn't make me want to throw them out the airlock in ME2 was Zaeed

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
True only time Biowhore tried to stray from their formula we got turd of DA2 and Zeed was a Bro as a game goes it looks like totaly used up High Fantazy setting with Faggot Elves and much of a bloom not to mention they don't have chance to get 500 grands without some BIG catchy name and nostalgia.

Lhynn

Arcane
Only reason zaeed didnt have family issues is because not a lot of people liked him, so he was treated like a elite mook instead of an actual character. Had a good number of people cared for him, we would probably have seen him having daughter issues.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Mass Effect brought some deep character roles that I'd wish to see more times in other games.

The generic human companion, the proud warrior race guy, the quirky rebellious teenager, and the by-the-books good guy, and the awkward guy? The same ones that have been in virtually every Bioware game since Baldur's Gate 2? These are deep to you?

The funny thing is that the only party member I wound up liking in ME3 was the DUDEBRO Space Marine. Guy didn't constantly wax on about daddy didn't love him or how he was betrayed by his best friend or whatever, guy just killed shit.

Only reason zaeed didnt have family issues is because not a lot of people liked him, so he was treated like a elite mook instead of an actual character. Had a good number of people cared for him, we would probably have seen him having daughter issues.
More like it was because they just skimped out on him as a character. His only real reason for existing was to give people more incentive to pre-order the game and/or by first-hand copies of it. Unlike, say, Shale or Javik, who were obviously intended for the base game but cut out to both save room and find another way to fleece their customers. Because of this, they intentionally half-assed his dialogue options and put most of them in his loyalty mission, same with Kasumi. Difference between Kasumi and Zaeed is that the former is bogged down by dead hubby issues that fucking nobody cares about, while all Zaeed wants you to do is satisfy his raging hard on for revenge.

I guess what I'm basically trying to say is that Zaeed's a half-assed character made up entirely of tired military veteran clichés made solely to ship more units, and he winds up being more likeable than the rest of the cast that Bioware actually put their creative effort into.

Last edited:

viralata

Literate
The generic human companion, the proud warrior race guy, the quirky rebellious teenager, and the by-the-books good guy, and the awkward guy? The same ones that have been in virtually every Bioware game since Baldur's Gate 2? These are deep to you?

Cliche or not, at least you get the chance to know their background stories. Also don't forget that the space marine character comes up late into the plot, not really having a good chance to share more personal details. I mean, the only wish I see on Vega is to get introduced to the N7.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
True only time Biowhore tried to stray from their formula we got turd of DA2 and Zeed was a Bro as a game goes it looks like totaly used up High Fantazy setting with Faggot Elves and much of a bloom not to mention they don't have chance to get 500 grands without some BIG catchy name and nostalgia.

DA2 was actually the best game Bioware made since BG2.

Lhynn

Arcane

Jesus christ mastermind, you had to go full retard after i called you a smart guy on the shitbox, didnt you? :rpgcodex:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Jesus christ mastermind, you had to go full retard after i called you a smart guy on the shitbox, didnt you? :rpgcodex:

You're half right, I forgot about NWN. Maybe Jade Empire too. DA2 is better than DA1 and the Ass Effects though.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The style of plot doesn't matter, doesn't matter what you're doing if you do it in a shitty manner. We just need quality. But that is not a concept videogame writers can wrap their head around.
Or publishers or gamers.

Least of all the journalists.

A lot of times people say that gaming is too young for people to have found out how to make stories work well in them. But now I really don't think that's true anymore. We can do it on here, we can figure it out if we think about it and settle on a good premise. Perhaps we are simply saying that gaming is too young to fool ourselves into thinking that we are not just waiting for videogame writers to stop being dumbasses. But it seems that the industry just consists of dumbasses. I mean, christ, I hate some fundamental things about Bethesda's games but you look at a picture of their team vs a picture of Bioware's team and suddenly something becomes clear. Every developer (that is, all the ones besides those still making real crpg's or what have you) is made up of either pretentious whiteknight fedora retards like bioware, or generic nobodies who like racing games or shooters or what have you like beth. (I hear todd likes racing games?) Even a developer trying so little seems normal when compared to the cesspool that we call the industry.

Because here's the deal: Gaming is childish. At it's core. So all the smart people stay away. They don't want anything to do with this shitty hobby. And they're right to think so.

Lhynn

Arcane
Because here's the deal: Gaming is childish. At it's core.
No its not you little cunt, problem with games writing is that writers do it.
Let me elaborate on that on the simplest way possible so your childish mind can understand it.
Gaming at its core, is a different media than books or movies. So why the fuck are devs employing people that fail/succed at those fields?

Any decent DM could write a RPG story and characters for a game better than any professional book/script writer you could name. Sure, shit that youve studied in college can come in handy, but most of it falls appart when you take into account the "interactive" part of gaming. It is a back and forth between the game and the player and you need to know what the player will be thinking at each step of the way.

This is why most games railroad you and tell you "how to have you fun", because their writers are shit and cant handle the "interactive" part of gaming, so either the avoid it, or just tackle it in the blandest way possible and hope for the best, or worse, you end up with a mix of both things.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Because here's the deal: Gaming is childish. At it's core. So all the smart people stay away. They don't want anything to do with this shitty hobby. And they're right to think so.
:notsureifserious:
If you are serious, though, please explain why you think gaming is more childish than any other entertainment medium.

Oesophagus

Arcane
There are childish games, but that doesn't mean the medium is childish. That's like pointing to ToyStory or The Hungry Caterpillar and saying films and books are childish

Lhynn

Arcane
Havent watched it yet, but wasnt toy story 3 a story about growing up?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom