Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Urban Strife - turn-based zombie survival RPG

Mud'

Scholar
How long is the prologue? Can I use a broom for a weapon?

Shit man, just let me give you money already.

Last edited:

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How long is the prologue? Can I use a broom for a weapon?
Shit man, just let me give you money already.

No broom, but the bread roller is deadly.

My last full playthrough (looting stuff to vendor and trading for better weapons, doing all quests, etc,) took me 3-4 hours, combat included. If you go for the direct approach, either you die fast or you can complete it in about 1 1/2, 2h. But missing a lot of stuff.

Save often, anyway, the AI is perverse and will always look to throw you a curveball.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
How come one of Graywalkers' devs already owns Urban Strife according to Steam?
Is he involved in development?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Demo is out.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/710230/view/2871598729202428913

Urban Strife is coming to Steam Next Fest!

Come watch the prologue demo played & streamed live by our guest host, BoxMacLeod @ 3 PM PDT (22 GMT), OCT 1

Urban Strife brings together a complete package for the strategy fan: turn-based combat, RPG with character development and post-apocalypse survival. A true “Jagged Alliance meets The Walking Dead” of the modern era.

Built on Unreal Engine, Urban Strife brings turn-based strategy onto a solid platform and makes full use of it with advanced AI systems, realistic ballistics calculations, cover based on material penetration and spectacular scenery with dynamic day/time cycles. But while under the hood everything is brand new, Urban Strife comes with a user interface and battle controls that are trusted and familiar to the old-school gamer and easy to pick up by the new generations.

In Urban Strife you will command a group of quirky, slightly deranged militia and try to ensure the survival of the Urban Shelter, a small community somewhere at the foothills of the Appalachians. While on the field you will have full control over your group’s actions and engage them in exploring, trading, making allies and most important, fighting to stay alive. At home, you will manage supply and logistics, upgrade the base, heal, and train your fighters. It is up to you to organize supply runs to kickstart your shelter industry, upgrade your weapons, deal with the inevitable emergencies, and prepare for the inevitable re-emergence of the undead horde that almost wiped off civilization two years before.

Check out BoxMacLeod's channels here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/BoxMacLeod
boxmacleod

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
It's a shame the traits system isn't in yet and intelligence is apparently not working. Only played for about 5 minutes but shooting feels on point and being able to melee with your weapons has already proven useful against zombies.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Looks very promising.

A few bugs right of the bat:
1. All stats got reset back to 70.
2. The character portrait disregards clothes selected at character creation.
3. I looted every single container on the highway only to find out that all the stuff was lost after the tutorial.
4. Not a bug, but it would be handy to have numbered hotkeys for dialog options.
5. Naming a saved game XEWQ123 does nothing!

jackofshadows

Magister
9F79E8371303CCC1B37515BD545EF6D374FF9AEB

:nocountryforshitposters:
- Why is there "bodytype" option instead of gender? Is this game really tries what I think it tries?
- Things at the beginning looks too raw (examples by the poster above) even for a demo so far but all in all seems promising enough, will play more tomorrow.
- What exactly difficulty levels do? I set hardcore but so far it doesn't feel that way, will see (maybe it alse reset after the tutorial?)
- I can't figure out how to get stealth crit melee chance bonus yet since any zombie has at least 1 "red" tile nearby so even when you start combat yourself zombie changes his status before your attack.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not played too much since I'm tired, but I managed to get into a cool firefight. Was pinned down behind a car and it just felt right - popping up and down taking shots, while the enemy was slowly moving in. Managed to shoot a guy through a fence too, felt pretty damn good. Bit curious why I could see him though? I mean I knew he was behind there, but say in Silent Storm I think he would turn to a shadow figure or just disappear. Also I do wish I could go prone, for some reason my guy was showing a tiny bit of his head behind the car, and that was enough for him to get downed eventually. All and all the combat felt really good and satisfying, sneaking felt fine too from what I have tried. The writing though, I'm not sure. Everything goes so fast - hey you, yeah you are a sheriff now, hey you, we are the badass military, ah, sure just hang around our base. And Caesars legion, really? Is that for the demo only?

The dialogue feels a bit like ATOM RPG. Getting that same feeling I got from that game. I know people love that game here, but it didn't really do it for me.

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Difficulty levels change the number of enemies you'll be facing.
If you manage to sneak to 1 tile distance you're basically guaranteed a kill, just aim for the head.

There's a lot of dialogue at start, we know, mostly because the other lore resources aren't ready yet (journal, quest details, etc).
Some like the RPG aspect, some don't, the game works for both types of players. Combat will get a lot more interesting as you progress.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Have they improved the piñata zombies spreading red confetti all over the place when shot?

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
It's a shame the traits system isn't in yet and intelligence is apparently not working. Only played for about 5 minutes but shooting feels on point and being able to melee with your weapons has already proven useful against zombies.

Perks are a bonus level and they need the rest of the mechanics to be mature before you implement them, otherwise it's just an way to complicate the balancing. Intelligence will be linked to how fast you gain experience (for perks).

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Difficulty levels change the number of enemies you'll be facing.
If you manage to sneak to 1 tile distance you're basically guaranteed a kill, just aim for the head.

There's a lot of dialogue at start, we know, mostly because the other lore resources aren't ready yet (journal, quest details, etc).
Some like the RPG aspect, some don't, the game works for both types of players. Combat will get a lot more interesting as you progress.

The amount of dialogue is no problem, and I do like RPGs but was just surprised how fast the story progressed. Like I was made sheriff within 3 minutes after meeting the survivors, and after 5 minutes I'm killing other people - I mean I'm coming from a coma and I know nothing about the world? And I didn't really get why the military dudes would let me roam their base.

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Given the limited scope of the prologue we did need to compact everything. But... there's actually a very plausible explanation for the strangely quick adoption (sorry, revealing it would be a major story spoiler). And no, it's not only about your resistance to the virus. But it might be a bit too abrupt, we'll see what the overall feeling is.

What "military" you're referring to? Legion or Army base in Port? We've debated a lot what zones to restrict, but considering the risk of the unaware players entering combat because they didn't understand they shouldn't enter a zone we decided to let the things in the demo be more lax than normal. There's still work to be done in that area.

Last edited:

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
If game development would be an exact science games would come packed in a tin can and would be sold at your local grocery. :)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom