Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Vagrus: The Riven Realms - post-apocalyptic fantasy caravan master RPG - now with Old Acquaintances DLC

thesecret1

Arcane
For the next game, add the player as a playable character in tactical combat. The MC being auspiciously absent from combat despite the game writing implying otherwise was a major juxtaposition that turned off a lot of players.
The idea is that he commands from the back and isn't really a fighter, I believe.
That is true, there's a lot of ludonarrative dissonance to have you never physically present thoug

Battle Brothers has the same problem

Battle brothers fixed the problem though by adding the lone wolf origin, one of the best origins in Vanillla BB. And modders have added since then more lone wolf origins.
It never bothered me in either game, tbh. I just imagined MC as being a pencil pusher that's pretty clever, but would probably get curbstomped by the average teenager – it then makes sense why he wouldn't take part in a battle, and should the enemy break through his underlings, would just surrender.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
For the next game, add the player as a playable character in tactical combat. The MC being auspiciously absent from combat despite the game writing implying otherwise was a major juxtaposition that turned off a lot of players.
The idea is that he commands from the back and isn't really a fighter, I believe.
That is true, there's a lot of ludonarrative dissonance to have you never physically present thoug

Battle Brothers has the same problem

Battle brothers fixed the problem though by adding the lone wolf origin, one of the best origins in Vanillla BB. And modders have added since then more lone wolf origins.
It never bothered me in either game, tbh. I just imagined MC as being a pencil pusher that's pretty clever, but would probably get curbstomped by the average teenager – it then makes sense why he wouldn't take part in a battle, and should the enemy break through his underlings, would just surrender.

In the CC you have options like Gladiator, former Solider, Captain, Mercenary, Slave hunter or war mage. If the MC was a canonical pencil pusher why add those options at all. You can play as a mage but never cast any spells, not even from the supposed "rear" you are leading from. It is just a terrible decision.

Modron

Arcane
Plenty of games have had the mc just be a pencil pusher, bard's tale, wizardrys, might and magics, wasteland, et cetera. Basically all earlier blobbers and Jagged Alliance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom