Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vampire Survivors and other top-down arcade shooters (VS discussion now forbidden)

Acrux

Arcane
I've been playing this for the past couple of days. Good, cheap fun. I've had more fun than I should for an 2.99 "early access" game, and the dev is planning on adding more play modes. The art design is heavily inspired by Castlevania.

Falksi

Arcane
Christ alive, I wish this autistic obsession with having to see numbers everywhere would fucking stop dead. Can't people judge things anymore without having to have everything spelled out in front of them?

The game looks like Smash TV was bitten by a paraplegic accountant with vampire aids.

The only good, cheap fun here is your mom.

Lizard

Learned
Played a decent amount of this, the dev seems to understand that becoming overpowered is part of the fun judging from his patch notes. I'm probably gonna wait for a decent amount of updates before I dive back in though. I still haven't gotten around to playing SNKRX again, which was a similar out of nowhere cheap as chips arcadey fun game. Both of these will be great palette cleansers between slower games though.

Lizard

Learned
The only slow down I've really experienced was when death shows up, usually it hitches and I can't really react in time. Heard it was possible to kill him.

Sukhāvatī

a.k.a. Mañjuśṛī
Patron
Lizard said:
Heard it was possible to kill him.
Aye, need freeze ray and laurel, although once you kill him another one appears the next minute.

Steam user said:
He got stuck on the furniture when I played and I kept attacking and after a minute another one appeard ans so on.
They all got stuck untill the fourth one appeard from behind and killed me at 33:02:P

Acrux

Arcane
Really? They can trademark weapons like a knife, garlic and an axe? Or even a whip named Bloody Tear? I don't think so.

Art can be considered IP. However, the dev said everything he's taken is from an open assets repository that's been around for something like a decade. Unlikely Konami would try to do anything since it's been around such a long time.

Also, for anyone (like Falksi) who doesn't like the numbers showing, there's an option to turn them off in the settings.

Riskbreaker

Looks like it's Crimsonland-inspired more than anything, gameplay-wise.
Spent awful lot of time with that one back in the day, damn fine time waster.

Dumle

Novice
Fun little time waster with content for about 20 hours. Not much reason to keep playing more after unlocking everything.

Pretty nutty Steam stats for a simple game.

G7CxmOc.png

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Fantastic little game, me and my housemate are both hooked. And a quaint little homage to Castelvania.

Very unassuming to look at, but there's not much better you can spend two euros on in games.

(Though I think Poe Ratcho (aka, garlic dude) miight be bugged; at least he seems kinda OP in the library.)

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
It's so funny to see what kind of random games sometimes explode on Steam.

Someone like Northern Lion giving it a spotlight definitely goes a long way.

And sometimes you get communities intersecting, e.g. a significant number of the YouTubers and Twitch streamers who are into Escape from Tarkov due to its Stalker/survival heritage have been playing a lot of Project Zomboid lately (due to a recent patch that brought a massive update to multiplayer), and as a result its Steam sales have exploded. It's very much a small indie title, but that coverage helped it sell like crazy. According to SteamDB, it's been in the top ten selling games on Steam since Christmas, peaking at fourth highest sales in the week.

CanadianCorndog

Learned
Whoever made this game lost millions by pricing it like a cup of coffee.
Should have made it $20, put it on sale for 50% in the big sales and would have more than tripled their money, easily.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It would be hard to sell it for more than $3 when you can get Magic Survival on Android, the same game but with worse graphics, but more levels, hazards, a crapload of more weapons, 20+ classes, etc. etc. for free.

Falksi You're aware you can and should turn these off, right?

toughasnails

Mack's review:

At first I wondered what the fuss is all about, with those "borrowed" graphics and no control over attacks... I think I get it now lol.

Devastator

Learned

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS REMINDS OF SKA STUDIOUS DUDE

LIKE A MILLION COPIES SOLD AT ONE FREEDOM DOLLARS

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom