Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Vampire Syndicate: Gangs of MoonFall - Hybrid FPP/Overhead Turn-based Cyberpunk Vampire RPG

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
"I agree with your post but also REEE EDGY!!!"

It's just a fact. This demo looks exactly like a pre-packaged asset bought off the store. Again, if there's an entire game there great but I can only imagine that if I walk straight down that rainy shady allyway I'm gonna drop off the edge of the world.

Is this actually a teaser for a mid-development game or just the first area you made as a POC?

Like I said in previous posts right above yours, I'm not even comfortable fully announcing the project's migration from RPGmaker to Unreal. So no, this is nowhere near anything close to "mid-development."

It's simply a teaser for the look and feel that I'll going forwards with if I do switch to Unreal (which at this point is 90%+ likely).

I saw that you mentioned reducing the head bob which is a good decision. Honestly, between the beat and the walking motion, I was like: Oh, we're playing Robocop! :lol:

Still though, cool Cyberpunk environment. Funny that that genre has been getting so much love lately, even before CP77 launched.

In other news, I prefer the new logo art style to the budget animu thing you had going before, but whatever. I think we can all agree visuals aren't the draw of the things you build. Best of luck!

I'm not interested in drama. I just want to make a game.

:salute:

Tyranicon's games are focused on story, worldbuilding and C&C.

Has he finished a game yet?

Oh come on. That's just ignorant, even for the Codex. It's not even like this one's hard to verify without leaving the Codex and probably without even leaving this thread. Lazy fuck.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Interesting. How do you survive? Sorry for bluntness. Do you do RPGMaker expertise freelancig and council to indie Devs new to RPGMaker engine? I suppose you know how to code, C++/ C or PHP/ Python/ Java(Script). Some freelancing there? What's your strongest skill: design, art, coding, management, all of above?

You are very similar to Manor Lords Dev, online alias "SlavicMagic". Similar Game Dev and financial fate should await you

What you need is help. I would like to help you for simple reward: honor to put that in CV, opportunity to grow as programmer and marketer and 0.9% of sales after you break even. [No salary, fixed number of minimum work hours weekly, no fixed work time schedule]

I might even be serious

Cohesion

Liturgist
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Interesting. How do you survive? Sorry for bluntness. Do you do RPGMaker expertise freelancig and council to indie Devs new to RPGMaker engine? I suppose you know how to code, C++/ C or PHP/ Python/ Java(Script). Some freelancing there? What's your strongest skill: design, art, coding, management, all of above?

You are very similar to Manor Lords Dev, online alias "SlavicMagic". Similar Game Dev and financial fate should await you

What you need is help. I would like to help you for simple reward: honor to put that in CV, opportunity to grow as programmer and marketer and 0.9% of sales after you break even. [No salary, fixed number of minimum work hours weekly, no fixed work time schedule]
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/so-how-hard-is-rpg-solodev-an-ama-thread.149925/post-8940858

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Thanks for info Cohesion. Programming is something that should interest every Game Dev, but not too deeply. It's a pit of knowledge without bottom. Endless layers of abstraction and you should know on which layer to stop your fall and then broaden your knowledge there. Let experts have expertise in other layers, basic knowledge is sufficient to you

Majority of Game Devs today in Western big corpos have 0 knowledge about anything. You do not know how shit they really are, if you did many things would make much more sense to you

I'm more like Young Tim Cain in my interests toward programming, but that's neither here nor there. Can help greatly and then you shit your bed and close studio because you suck at higher lvls of programming called: budget management, people relations, networking, marketing, time management and so on

Game Development is so complex yet so exciting! Art + Code + Management/Marketing + Storytelling

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Have you considered releasing the game in episodes?
Yes, but they won't be an hour long or something like that. Gangs of MoonFall is intended to be part 1 of a longer series, if everything works out.

I might even be serious

For a very long time I survived on savings from a corporate career in something completely unrelated to games. Right now I'm living entirely off the proceeds of my games, which... uh, is pretty meager.

Professionally, I'm a writer. That's what my degree and previous career was in. I am an entirely self-taught coder and tbh, not very good, so don't look for anything impressive on that front.

I am not currently looking to hire anybody, and I think I want to retain my "mostly solodev" status. I dunno, that's something to think about later, I actually do get a lot of offers of people who want to work with me.

Here's my steam developer page, you'll have to sign in or you won't see half my games:

https://store.steampowered.com/search/?developer=A Memory of Eternity LLC

Where did you buy the sprites for "That Which Rises" ?
They look familiar for some reason.

If you're talking about the pixel ones, I just bought them off itch.io. Do a search for medieval fantasy pixel art and you should find them.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Here's my steam developer page, you'll have to sign in or you won't see half my games:

https://store.steampowered.com/search/?developer=A Memory of Eternity LLC

Where did you buy the sprites for "That Which Rises" ?
They look familiar for some reason.

If you're talking about the pixel ones, I just bought them off itch.io. Do a search for medieval fantasy pixel art and you should find them.

Cool I'll take a look.
Do you ever get hassled by steam for using AI?
Under steams terms you technically need to own the training material for the Weights.. but I guess it's sorta a "innocent til proven guilty" situation where they just don't wanna be liable so they kick it to you.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Still though, cool Cyberpunk environment. Funny that that genre has been getting so much love lately, even before CP77 launched.
Yeah, but the genre already feels very stale to me. Cyberpunk is essentially unchanged from what it was in the 80s. The real life has caught up with many of its anxieties while discrediting others, but the genre hasn’t grown or evolved in any way for the last three or four decades. Modern SFX can finally showcase the genre with fidelity, but that’s it. Writers cannot decide whether the genre is meant to be straight predictive scifi or retrofuturism. For example, CP77 wasn’t intended to be retrofuturistic but became so retroactively, as its timeline splits from reality in the same year the game was originally published. Most cyberpunk settings even maintain the Cold War centuries into the future.

I feel like the entire scifi genre has become stagnant, outdated, derivative, and synonymous with retrofuturism. There’s been no new scifi trends or franchises since the 80s. There was cybercore/y2k, but it died out and didn’t give rise to any enduring scifi trends. Nothing that taps into current anxieties or expands our horizons…

Conversely, I feel like loads of promising novelty projects that could’ve bucked the trends and inspired new ones were strangled before they got anywhere.

But this isn’t the right thread, I guess

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Cool I'll take a look.
Do you ever get hassled by steam for using AI?
Under steams terms you technically need to own the training material for the Weights.. but I guess it's sorta a "innocent til proven guilty" situation where they just don't wanna be liable so they kick it to you.
Not so much by steam, but I get hassled by complete randos who leave 5-page screes on why I'm a bad person because I use 11labs and then delete 40+ comments so they can censor their own review.

It's actually really hilarious.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Nothing that taps into current anxieties or expands our horizons…

Everyone else thinks that AI is going to either kill us or enable an otaku paradise in the long run.

My thoughts on the matter are a little... stranger.

Fuckbots for everybody!

Seriously though, it's going to mulch us all for fuel.

Mortmal

Arcane
The demo looks good for sure, but it's madness; you can't pull off a whole RPG in 3D like that alone. It's far too ambitious. There's an easier way to tackle this. Look at all the successful Kickstarter campaigns; RPG books are gathering ten times more money and faster than a game like Swordhaven, which is already not so easy to make for a small team. What is the reason for their success? They are selling pretty pictures and dreams. You could more easily manage a 2D CYOA like cyberpunk game with some RPG elements and good story. Unless you have a team behind you and unlimited cash, it's unreasonable and you are running into a wall.

I want to do things that are far too ambitious. I want to climb the mountain.
Mtjr2Sc.jpeg

Herumor

Scholar
Huh, that's quite the change, going from RPGM to U5. Especially what with the change in player perspective. Like a few others here, I will lament the loss of isometric perspective for playing, I feel like this will hamper quite a bit when it comes to cybernetics and other visual changes to the player character.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Huh, that's quite the change, going from RPGM to U5. Especially what with the change in player perspective. Like a few others here, I will lament the loss of isometric perspective for playing, I feel like this will hamper quite a bit when it comes to cybernetics and other visual changes to the player character.

Man, I'm really spam posting, but part of the reason I'm switching to UE5 is because player customization in RPGM is basically like pulling teeth, unless you just want it to be a bunch of .pngs.

If I went ahead with RPGM I would've had to do some truly frustrating shit like building out separate pre-rendered animations for each weapon attack, or switching actors everytime you switched clothes, etc.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Nothing that taps into current anxieties or expands our horizons…

Everyone else thinks that AI is going to either kill us or enable an otaku paradise in the long run.

My thoughts on the matter are a little... stranger.
I think the AI fad will fizzle out like cryptocurrency, NFTs, and the dotcom crash.

AIs will continue to be used for purely utilitarian purposes like predicting protein folding. All the military VR sims end in the AIs becoming omnicidal, so they’re probably not gonna be used for drone strikes any time soon.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I think the AI fad will fizzle out like cryptocurrency, NFTs, and the dotcom crash.

AIs will continue to be used for purely utilitarian purposes like predicting protein folding. All the military VR sims end in the AIs becoming omnicidal, so they’re probably not gonna be used for drone strikes any time soon.

IIRC the general scientific consensus (or perhaps I should say philosophical, which is what it kind of is in many respects) is that the timeline (lol) to Artificial General Intelligence has not changed with the recent influx of LLM shit, but even modern ML is generally very useful for a lot of things.

There's also a lot of stuff that is not said in public because AI tech, even at this very early stage, is very dangerous.

MoonFall is about ~20 years ahead of us technologically. It's an excellent playground for my brand of cyberpunk, which may be described as some kind of cosmic horrorpunk.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
The demo looks good for sure, but it's madness; you can't pull off a whole RPG in 3D like that alone. It's far too ambitious. There's an easier way to tackle this. Look at all the successful Kickstarter campaigns; RPG books are gathering ten times more money and faster than a game like Swordhaven, which is already not so easy to make for a small team. What is the reason for their success? They are selling pretty pictures and dreams. You could more easily manage a 2D CYOA like cyberpunk game with some RPG elements and good story. Unless you have a team behind you and unlimited cash, it's unreasonable and you are running into a wall.

My last game probably would've made more money if it was a visual novel with a string of DAZ sex scenes. It would've been much cheaper and much easier.

By now, I think people get the point that I'm a true believer. I want to do things that are far too ambitious. I want to climb the mountain. I want to make this really good RPG with all this cool shit.

But I don't do it knowing I'll fail. I think I have a fairly good chance actually. Plus, this isn't a solodev recreation of CP2077 or something. The game's still mostly reading and combat.

Somehow this thread was buried and never resurfaced on my alerts but the Unsuccessful KS did alert me something is on the horizon. I'm assuming an eventual new KS will pop up?

Speaking of CYOA, I was looking at the steam page and your KS backlog and noticed you have a RPG VN called A Memory of Eternity. I was unaware. I noticed Baldr's Squid Isekai: A Parody is available as early access on steam (probably not gog or itchio). I also saw some other games I was unaware of (The Singularity Wish & That which Rises - coming soon).

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

My last game probably would've made more money if it was a visual novel with a string of DAZ sex scenes. It would've been much cheaper and much easier.

By now, I think people get the point that I'm a true believer. I want to do things that are far too ambitious. I want to climb the mountain. I want to make this really good RPG with all this cool shit.

But I don't do it knowing I'll fail. I think I have a fairly good chance actually. Plus, this isn't a solodev recreation of CP2077 or something. The game's still mostly reading and combat.

Somehow this thread was buried and never resurfaced on my alerts but the Unsuccessful KS did alert me something is on the horizon. I'm assuming an eventual new KS will pop up?

Speaking of CYOA, I was looking at the steam page and your KS backlog and noticed you have a RPG VN called A Memory of Eternity. I was unaware. I noticed Baldr's Squid Isekai: A Parody is available as early access on steam (probably not gog or itchio). I also saw some other games I was unaware of (The Singularity Wish & That which Rises - coming soon).
A Memory of Eternity is my company name and also the series name, I haven't made a game called that. You might be thinking of You Are a Dark God: Desolation Road, which was a very early draft of the current series and has been fully refunded on request (gasp! kickstarters can actually refund their backers?!?!).

The Singularity Wish is available on Steam, and I might bring it to Itch when I have time. All my other games are on Steam and Itch. Memoirs is the only one on GOG and it's handled by my marketing guy.

Vatnik Wumao
I feel like the entire scifi genre has become stagnant, outdated, derivative, and synonymous with retrofuturism. There’s been no new scifi trends or franchises since the 80s. There was cybercore/y2k, but it died out and didn’t give rise to any enduring scifi trends. Nothing that taps into current anxieties or expands our horizons…
The latest sci fi trend is the two body problem series. But that one heads in an apocalyptic / bat shit insane direction that most orthodox sci-fi avoids.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
The latest sci fi trend is the two body problem series. But that one heads in an apocalyptic / bat shit insane direction that most orthodox sci-fi avoids.
I watched a review that explained how idiotic and nonsensical it was from start to finish. Weiss and Benioff surprisingly only made it slightly more stupid in their braindead Netflix show.

The aliens were so powerful that they could’ve annihilated humanity as soon as their probes arrived, and they already intended to exterminate humanity when their fleet arrived, but didn’t because that would break the plot. This writing is so fucking stupid. I’m completely mystified that it gets any praise at all. Did IQs drop suddenly before it released or were humans always this laughably stupid?

But that’s still better than the Dune prequels/sequels by Brian Herbert. He wrote a whole novel about Shadout Mapes, a minor character with only two lines in the first Dune novel.

Vatnik Wumao
The aliens were so powerful that they could’ve annihilated humanity as soon as their probes arrived, and they already intended to exterminate humanity when their fleet arrived, but didn’t because that would break the plot. This writing is so fucking stupid. I’m completely mystified that it gets any praise at all. Did IQs drop suddenly before it released or were humans always this laughably stupid?
Wasn't it because humanity was blackmailing the aliens that the aliens were forced to concede? If humanity was genocided, they would beam the location of the alien homeworld to a more powerful empire.

Vatnik Wumao
If you're not going to invest in voice acting you shouldn't use first person. It's jarring when someone speaks right to your face and there's no sound.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom