Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 - VTMB sequel from The Chinese Room - coming early 2025

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Finished "Still Wakes the Deep" and came away fairly impressed. It is great for what it is (linear 5 hour horror walking sim). Fantastic sense of place, atmosphere, very good natural writing and voice acting. If the people who made this also work on Bloodlines 2 (which I do not know, might be different team?) I would be quite optimistic about Bloodlines 2's aspects like atmosphere and worldbuilding.

One thing that I found hilarious/ridiculous though, is this short linear game having people such as "inclusion and belonging officer" or "influencer relations executive" in the credits. No wonder this industry keeps closing studios and laying people off.
Are there any choices/ different paths in 'Still Wakes the Deep'? I'm most worried about that aspect with regard to Bloodlines 2 (and the combat, but I guess 'Still Wakes the Deep' wouldn't be the best measure of that).

Last edited:

The President

Educated
No Still Wakes the Deep has only one ending and path afaik.

The gaming industry is hardly unique in layoffs, they are just more pronounced this year.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
You are speaking as if other places in tech are better right now, even though layoffs happen in Microsoft/Facebook/Amazon/etc every time.

Tech has always been a shaky place, but I know for a fact that many coders consider gamedev the bottom of the barrel for salaries. This is true across the board for most positions. Imagine being both wary of layoffs and being underpaid and crunch culture.

It's an entire industry that preys off the enthusiasm and dreams of the young.

Paul_cz

Arcane
"Still wakes the deep" has a male protagonist and I would guess 95% of all NPCs are male too, because it plays on an oil rig...
There are about 5 or 6 NPCs and one of them is called Finlay and kinda looks and sounds like a dude, but they call him her, so..no idea if it is some butch woman or trans or whatever. The game does not elaborate on that at all (which I prefer tbh). Still it did made me do a double take the first time I noticed that and took me out of the experience a bit.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Honestly I never paid much attention to this because I don't think Bloodlines needs or deserves a sequel and I could care less - but I'm now just finding out Malkavian and Nosferatu aren't playable in the sequel? What the fuck are they thinking? Those two clans being playable is one of the main reasons Bloodlines is worth playing.
Nosferatu are too much work and hardly anyone played one (most people don't want to be an ugly vampire). Malkavian is probably a DLC clan.
Nosferatu was not only interesting to play in Bloodlines, but I never laughed harder in any game I have ever played. If you haven't played as a Nosferatu in Bloodlines, you haven't lived.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Nosferatu was not only interesting to play in Bloodlines, but I never laughed harder in any game I have ever played. If you haven't played as a Nosferatu in Bloodlines, you haven't lived.
They have their fans, but Tim Cain said that not a single person in Activision's QA team played one.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
They have their fans, but Tim Cain said that not a single person in Activision's QA team played one.
They should hire heterosexuals to do their QA.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Haha wot? Isn't it their job to play them, especially lesser played aspects of the game? Bizzare.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
You are speaking as if other places in tech are better right now, even though layoffs happen in Microsoft/Facebook/Amazon/etc every time.

Tech has always been a shaky place, but I know for a fact that many coders consider gamedev the bottom of the barrel for salaries. This is true across the board for most positions. Imagine being both wary of layoffs and being underpaid and crunch culture.

It's an entire industry that preys off the enthusiasm and dreams of the young.
I wouldn't have touched it with the standard-issue 10' pole when I was working. Better money and hours and way less bullshit in most other industries. Not sure if the latter has changed with DEI invading corporate culture everywhere.

Wesp5

Arcane
Haha wot? Isn't it their job to play them, especially lesser played aspects of the game? Bizzare.
They overlooked a game breaking bug that only happened for Nosferatu, so while they might have tested them some, obviously nobody in QA ever finished the whole game with them.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Honestly I never paid much attention to this because I don't think Bloodlines needs or deserves a sequel and I could care less - but I'm now just finding out Malkavian and Nosferatu aren't playable in the sequel? What the fuck are they thinking? Those two clans being playable is one of the main reasons Bloodlines is worth playing.
Nosferatu are too much work and hardly anyone played one (most people don't want to be an ugly vampire). Malkavian is probably a DLC clan.
OH SWEET LORD JESUS! <drops dead>

La vie sexuelle

Learned
These small, seemingly insignificant scenes together create the element that was the first Bloodlines was. This game was so cool not because it was about vampires, but because it said something about our world through vampires. Isn't it ironic that the old bar lady who thought she had seen it all dies after seeing the real monster, the one thing she couldn't predict? Life is full of things like this and that's why Vampire: the Bloodlines is a very life-like game. To create something like this you need life experience. Not literally, you're not a vampire, but it's about channeling experiences into fiction that bears the hallmarks of the experience itself.

What experience do the creators of Bloodlines 2 have? I bet their lives are a mix of Twitter, chatting in a hipster bar over a bowl of vegan noodles, hearing about black menstruation on the BBC, arguing about pronouns at work and those little moments when they actually work.

J1M

Arcane
How does it work? You fire people from senior positions and ? Who's gonna do their work now?
If the narrative wasn't designed by this point, the wrong person was working on it.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
"Still wakes the deep" has a male protagonist and I would guess 95% of all NPCs are male too, because it plays on an oil rig...
There are about 5 or 6 NPCs and one of them is called Finlay and kinda looks and sounds like a dude, but they call him her, so..no idea if it is some butch woman or trans or whatever. The game does not elaborate on that at all (which I prefer tbh). Still it did made me do a double take the first time I noticed that and took me out of the experience a bit.
I just saw that played on cohh stream. Bunch of people with IQ 90 were running around and random character was screaming at main character how he should repair stuff while he's working hard by looking at random controls to find fault in electricity wiring. While third one played as a random monster and was running around and screamed "I'd get you for all two years when I was menially working while you two were killing your asses in the office." Or something like that.

(There would be probably romance with some 170cm 90 kg IQ 90 whale who got love interest with main character and he positively responded thus the game had happy ending.)

It's fucking parkour game.

The President

Educated
If you don’t truly have a love and passion for games, it’s not a business for you. Remote work has helped a lot where if you have to change jobs (quite common) it’s not a major relocation constantly, but it’s a fight until you have enough clout to be safe and offered good jobs.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
If you don’t truly have a love and passion for games, it’s not a business for you. Remote work has helped a lot where if you have to change jobs (quite common) it’s not a major relocation constantly, but it’s a fight until you have enough clout to be safe and offered good jobs.
If you have the skills to be a good video game developer, you can probably make 2x the money per hour by developing some accounting/warehouse/finance software, by yourself or as a hired worker.
Nobody should be joining video game develpment for the money, there's better money elsewhere. Its like learning to play guitar for the money. Yes, 20-30 people on the planet get rich doing it. You probably won't. If you have no passion for music or sports, don't do music or sports. Almost nobody gets rich doing it. Same for gamedev.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Well it goes quite a long way to explaining why games are shit if all the talent is making business software. Thats like my industry, all the talent is making advertising.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Well it goes quite a long way to explaining why games are shit if all the talent is making business software. Thats like my industry, all the talent is making advertising.
Which is the better business model: negotiate a plan and get paid for it, then fulfill it; or work for 2-3 years on something, with zero income but payng full wages, and then release it to see if it sells? Because the former is advertising, the later is video games.

The President

Educated
How does it work? You fire people from senior positions and ? Who's gonna do their work now?
If the narrative wasn't designed by this point, the wrong person was working on it.

This might be true for the main game, but isn't Paradox known for making many DLCs and announced two for BL2 already?
They did announce at least two from I remember. Paradox is also known for making tons of DLC for their products, but that’s for their in house studio games. Who knows what they’ll do with this as it’s a third party developer.

It was also Sumo digital that initiated the layoffs. Paradox didn’t have anything to do with it.

S.torch

Liturgist
This game was so cool not because it was about vampires
Nope. One of the reasons Bloodlines was cool was because it's about vampires. And I would say every single piece of fiction gains a few points if they include vampires too. Vampires are a cool archetype that borrow themselves for a different type of story from the ones we're so accustomed to see today. They're suited for a darker tone, reminiscences of the past, and the presence of strict hierarchies.

Take them out and what you've left is some cheap worldbuilding and milquetoast "capitalism bad" takes. Precisely what these guys are doing with this "sequel".

Semiurge

Cipher

Hold on, that's problematic right there - featuring playable characters so ugly, that their mere presence can cause heart attacks. This is oppressive towards all those 1-3 people in the attractiveness scale. Some of them play games too, and have the right to a safe space within World of Darkness.

xl6Rjl6.png

These small, seemingly insignificant scenes together create the element that was the first Bloodlines was. This game was so cool not because it was about vampires, but because it said something about our world through vampires. Isn't it ironic that the old bar lady who thought she had seen it all dies after seeing the real monster, the one thing she couldn't predict? Life is full of things like this and that's why Vampire: the Bloodlines is a very life-like game. To create something like this you need life experience. Not literally, you're not a vampire, but it's about channeling experiences into fiction that bears the hallmarks of the experience itself.

What experience do the creators of Bloodlines 2 have? I bet their lives are a mix of Twitter, chatting in a hipster bar over a bowl of vegan noodles, hearing about black menstruation on the BBC, arguing about pronouns at work and those little moments when they actually work.

You don't need life experience for creating a fun game, in fact most historically succesful game writers/designers were very young and thus lacking in experience. You just need a working imagination, a passion for the art and the lack of a IQ90 committee of DEI-tokens hampering your efforts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom