Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 - VTMB sequel from The Chinese Room - coming early 2025

AfterVirtue

Novice
I am not "Anglosaxon". For a thing to be, it must have a form, εἶδος, to have a form it must have a limit, πέρας. It is not about sex being shameful but about it being intimate. Hans Peter Duerr wrote a very good book, confuting Norbert Elias (and he paid for it) about shame being a constant in cultures, even if the kind of specific rules varied.

And Bataille's view, who i don't like, may be only if there are norms to transgress.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I am not "Anglosaxon". For a thing to be, it must have a form, εἶδος, to have a form it must have a limit, πέρας. It is not about sex being shameful but about it being intimate. Hans Peter Duerr wrote a very good book, confuting Norbert Elias (and he paid for it) about shame being a constant in cultures, even if the kind of specific rules varied.

And Bataille's view, who i don't like, may be only if there are norms to transgress.

You sound like a German. And the Anglo-Saxons are the Germans from the islands. The only difference is that those from the continent are metaphysically heavy and those from Britain often lack metaphysics.

Metaphysics is important when we talk about matters of our existence, but I believe that its, sex, absolute basis is too animalistic to have metaphysical weight in itself. In other words, at its core it's just instinct. Only by inscribing it into the whole of existence of one gives it a metaphysical weight, dependent on this very existence. Thinking this way, I would identify transgressive-extreme (to distinguish other forms of transgression here) as making a "rupture" in existence, not only of the active side, but also of the observer. I haven't read the first of the authors you mention and I don't remember the threads of the second one (I read it a long time ago and not everything), but it seems to me that a metaphysical nation like Germany should work so hard in this direction, that is, see extremes as something that constantly threatens existence. , hence emphasizing the importance of shame.

AfterVirtue

Novice
You sound like a German.

Cute. But no cigar, from a latin culture.

Old Shopenhauer would say that raw instinct is a metaphysical matter, the blind Will that move the World. Julius Evola also would disagree with you https://www.edizionimediterranee.net/libri/bestsellers/product/metafisica-del-sesso-julius-evola
I beg to differ from both, even as i think one must face old Arthur, but there are many others that would recognize the metaphysical basis of sex. Like Pico della Mirandola said, in the human there is the possibility to descend lower than beast, or higher than angels. This goes also for love and sex.

Also, transgression could be a good thing if it helps avoid staleness. But it still needs a border, even if a dynamic, dialectic one.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I'm from a different culture than Anglosaxon.
What, you one of those Occitains or something?

Oc!

Dirty-ass horndog frenchman.

Yes!

You sound like a German.

Cute. But no cigar, from a latin culture.

Argentina or Brazil.

Although with that German jacket and the "Latin" trick, you could also be Belgian.
Old Shopenhauer would say that raw instinct is a metaphysical matter, the blind Will that move the World. Julius Evola also would disagree with you https://www.edizionimediterranee.net/libri/bestsellers/product/metafisica-del-sesso-julius-evola
I beg to differ from both, even as i think one must face old Arthur, but there are many others that would recognize the metaphysical basis of sex. Like Pico della Mirandola said, in the human there is the possibility to descend lower than beast, or higher than angels. This goes also for love and sex.

I am light, so is my being. Arthur doesn't appeal to me, nor does his concept of will. I prefer to define existence as Sarte did, as a subjective setting, close to daesin. So sex would only be an instinct or activity, but my existence is a unity in which sexual elements are found and valued. Hence the vision of transgression as a "rupture" of being, subjective being, in its current form. And further, shame is the fear of disruption of one's existence. But like everything in our lives, these things are related to society (which I do not demonize like Sartre). We have a cultural obligation to feel ashamed so as not to destroy the social vision of existence.

Also, transgression could be a good thing if it helps avoid staleness. But it still needs a border, even if a dynamic, dialectic one.
I think that everything in life is transgressive because it forces us to break the internal homeostasis we strive for and protect ourselves. Conscious transgression is control over one's own being, which is why extremes have something destructive about them - I want to create myself to create myself (and that's why people in BDSM clubs are so pretentious :D).

AfterVirtue

Novice
Argentina or Brazil.

Italian, if you must know. We got much hegelian influence here, though.

I am light, so is my being. Arthur doesn't appeal to me, nor does his concept of will. I prefer to define existence as Sarte did, as a subjective setting, close to daesin.

More of an Husserl guy myself.

shame is the fear of disruption of one's existence.

A defense of borders, of identity. of course there are moments for some borders to fall. But even new things must set theirs.

I think that everything in life is transgressive because it forces us to break the internal homeostasis we strive for and protect ourselves. Conscious transgression is control over one's own being, which is why extremes have something destructive about them - I want to create myself to create myself (and that's why people in BDSM clubs are so pretentious :D).

An interesting way to see it.

Habichtswalder

Educated
From Sabbath book:

What really annoys me about all these "professional" authors using words from different languages is that they don't even do a little research whether they made sense. Noone would call himself "Tötentanz" in German, it would be "Totentanz"!
I think this is because of bands like Motörhead or Mötley Crüe. It's mostly just a stylized way of writing. I don't know the Sabbath books but its aesthetic seems somewhat inspired by "metal".

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Argentina or Brazil.

Italian, if you must know. We got much hegelian influence here, though.

Interesting. I didn't know. Truth be told, I know little about contemporary Italian philosophy.

For me, an Italian philosopher is a bearded man with a pipe who mixes Marx with Saint Francis (from a pop-intellectualist Eco, of course).

I am light, so is my being. Arthur doesn't appeal to me, nor does his concept of will. I prefer to define existence as Sarte did, as a subjective setting, close to daesin.

More of an Husserl guy myself.

Satre was also on this line. Many say that he vulgarized phenomenology, and there is a lot of truth in this. However, I personally consider his approach to be much better because for him Husserl always aimed at idealism, and perhaps even a form of spirituality.

BTW - your nick comes from Alisadir Mcintyre, yes?

shame is the fear of disruption of one's existence.

A defense of borders, of identity. of course there are moments for some borders to fall. But even new things must set theirs.

Personally, I see people as conservative beings who are forced by the world to change. That's why they are so conservative. Some individuals and some cultures value change more, we can see it with our own eyes, but I don't think it negates our conservative nature (culture itself assumes certain patterns).

An interesting way to see it.

Thak you <3

From Sabbath book:

What really annoys me about all these "professional" authors using words from different languages is that they don't even do a little research whether they made sense. Noone would call himself "Tötentanz" in German, it would be "Totentanz"!

I have always been fascinated by America's low language awareness. It's as if they don't understand that other languages are not "accents" of immigrants speaking in English.

From Sabbath book:

I think this is because of bands like Motörhead or Mötley Crüe. It's mostly just a stylized way of writing. I don't know the Sabbath books but its aesthetic seems somewhat inspired by "metal".

That was definitely the point. Look at the cover:
s-l1600.webp

jungl

Augur
Honestly the sabbat seem the most sane clan. Larp as a human and spend time hugging corners and feeding on people like a dumb mouse before heading into torpor or make tentacle vaginas and other cool stuff. The choice is easy.

AfterVirtue

Novice
For me, an Italian philosopher is a bearded man with a pipe who mixes Marx with Saint Francis (from a pop-intellectualist Eco, of course).

Well, let's say that "Eco" and philosopher in the same phrase in an affermative way is breaking the principle of non-contradiction to my ears. He was, as someone put it, a cultured and shallow rhetor.

"Recent" Italian philosophers of interest would be the late Emanule Severino, the phenomenologist Vincenzo Costa, Andrea Zhok, the matematician Paolo Zellini, Massimo Cacciari and others.

Satre was also on this line. Many say that he vulgarized phenomenology, and there is a lot of truth in this. However, I personally consider his approach to be much better because for him Husserl always aimed at idealism, and perhaps even a form of spirituality.

BTW - your nick comes from Alisadir Mcintyre, yes?

Well, i do aim at spirituality. But at a form of it that can't ignore concrete, hard reality, but passes through it. As for idealism, since language and conscience are trascendental to our being in the world a form of at least "methodological idealism" is unavoidable to me from a gnoseological perspective; if that extends to metaphysics it remains to be seen, but i reckon possible a "realist idealism". Metodologically i find phenomenology to be most interesting and useful.
The phenomenologist Sartre bears some interest, yes, but as a "whole" philosopher i dislike and disagree both with him and his nihilism. But i also think that a positive thought must be developed through a dialectical struggle with the negative, hence one must study such philosopher as Schopenhauer, Nietzsche, Leopardi also.
Of course, my nick come from MacIntyre. i owe my interest in philosophy to him.

Personally, I see people as conservative beings who are forced by the world to change. That's why they are so conservative. Some individuals and some cultures value change more, we can see it with our own eyes, but I don't think it negates our conservative nature (culture itself assumes certain patterns).

I agree to a point. And about this, one of the better books of Bauman, "Memories of class" explore the potential of struggle that has the reality or perception of losing identity and status through change.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Honestly the sabbat seem the most sane clan. Larp as a human and spend time hugging corners and feeding on people like a dumb mouse before heading into torpor or make tentacle vaginas and other cool stuff. The choice is easy.
Sect. The Sabbat is a Sect, meaning an organisation which contains members of different Clans. Likewise the Camarilla and the Anarch Movement are Sects. They indeed foolishly cling to their humanity, instead of embracing the transcendence offered by the vampiric condition.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
From the dev diaries it seems like TCR’s narrative crew is the only that isn’t small.
Unless you consider small nothing larger a department of one, I don't see how it isn't. One creative director (first Pinchbeck, then Thomas) one principal writer (Le Bray who was laid off and then rehired) one full-time writer (Longthorne) one writer on loan from Sumo Leamington (Goldstraw) one temporary contractor (Wakefield-Harrey).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Oh I see Longthorne's updated her resume with more details https://sarahlongthorne.com/resume

• Writer on crit-path content, covering cutscenes, branching conversations, ambient VO and more across the game. Lead writer for Lou Graham, Ryong Choi, Safia Ulusoy, Benny Muldoon, Ysabella Moore and several unannounced characters. Acted as lead writer across the game for a few months between the departure of TCR’s founder and former Creative Director Dan Pinchbeck and the arrival of current Narrative Director Ian Thomas.
  • Workshopped story beats and narrative issues with the wider narrative team, drawing upon reference material and engagement with the community — and working within often immovable parameters — to seek character-true, lore-rich and tone-appropriate solutions that deepen the story, empower the wider team and make the best possible use of our medium where able.
Noticed that she didn't include Willem or Fabien in the characters she was responsible for. Not sure if the guilty party would want to take credit/blame for those. :P

"working within often immovable parameters"

Trainwreck impending. I imagine that there's IP stuff they need to honor but the way this is worded sounds likes it was a pain in the ass to deal with and got in the way of doing whatever they felt was best.

AfterVirtue

Novice
More vague corpo-speak that says nothing. Level 5 obfuscate in action.

If it were so it would be a success. Hell, if it will be a success, which from what i see will need massive Domination and Dementation action, we will know for certain that there is a working Masquerade in action.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
"working within often immovable parameters"

Trainwreck impending. I imagine that there's IP stuff they need to honor but the way this is worded sounds likes it was a pain in the ass to deal with and got in the way of doing whatever they felt was best.
Also "best possible use of our medium where able."

:lol:

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Mechanically simplified, not very pretty, too overexposed for a horror game and it would certainly collect a lot of shit on the Codex, but I think it would be the best game in this universe since 2004.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom