Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 - VTMB sequel from The Chinese Room - coming Fall 2024

Wesp5

Arcane
Arkane is dead after Prey.

Yeah, Prey was already quite a flop and would have fared better with a title like "Nano Shock". What really broke Arkane was when Bethesda asked them to first do a battle royal multiplayer shooter as a singleplayer game (Deadloop) and then to do a multiplayer game in the the first place (Redfall). This is how you destroy one of the best singleplayer developers...

ChildInTime

Learned
When this releases you are all going to look like fools.
3b1.png

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Arkane's downfall was the Zenimax kiss of death. These days it's not usually the developers fault, it's publishers. Same as producers for music and movies. Creatives get the shaft across the board because they can't money.

Herumor

Scholar
To me they died after they never made a sequel to Dark Messiah.
Isn't that sort of thing more up to Ubisoft, since they own the IP of HoMM? Not to mention, a sequel which would lead into what exactly? One ending has you summoning Kha-Beleth and palling it up with the best dad in all of video games as you conquer the world, the other has you locking him away forever - with the addition of Leanna or Xana being there with you for the endings, though Xana does bring that flavor of betraying your father. All in all, let's say you go with the fuck over your father ending (be it with Xana or Leanna), what more is there to do as Sareth in the world? His story has reached its peak in Dark Messiah. Or would you just regurtitate the same kind of story beats in the sequel?

Not every game needs a sequel.

Technomancer

Liturgist
Isn't that sort of thing more up to Ubisoft, since they own the IP of HoMM? Not to mention, a sequel which would lead into what exactly? One ending has you summoning Kha-Beleth and palling it up with the best dad in all of video games as you conquer the world, the other has you locking him away forever - with the addition of Leanna or Xana being there with you for the endings, though Xana does bring that flavor of betraying your father. All in all, let's say you go with the fuck over your father ending (be it with Xana or Leanna), what more is there to do as Sareth in the world? His story has reached its peak in Dark Messiah. Or would you just regurtitate the same kind of story beats in the sequel?
I mean fair enough, that universe was kinda a one shot. But you could still make a separate game build on same core things. A so called spiritual successor. Prequel if you really have to keep the universe. Pretty graphics, fun and impactful melee combat that is relatively simple but has depth, linear but interesting levels to explore etc. Dishonored was a stealth game through and through. And while you could just slaughter everything, it wasn't nearly as fun because the game was not designed around it. Point is, I never experienced any other game that managed to replicate dark messiah gameplay well.

The President

Educated
I assume I’m in the extreme minority here, but I’ve never even managed to finish an Arkane game. I almost universally finish what I play to boot.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Wow I'm nearly the opposite. Struggle to finish games a fair bit, but the old Arkane stuff (up to Prey) all got at least one playthrough. Haven't touched anything by them since.

Mauman

Learned
Not every game needs a sequel.
You could make another game set in the same world with a different character.
Or better yet, NOT the shitty generic fantasy of HOMM, set it in the sci/fantasy of Xeen or Enroth.
Hehe....I still remember when HOMM devs tried to add sci-fi to a setting that already had sci-fi and got death threats over it. Sometimes I weep at the stupidity of fandoms.

Also, I'll never forgive the HOMM fandom for basically forcing the awesome evil MM7 ending to be non-canon because of this.

edit - wait...this is the bloodlines thread....did we get lost? :P

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It looks like some kind of city traversal/prey mechanics are in.

You are a predator on a hunt, and your discipline powers focus on stalking, assassination, and silently moving faster than your foes can track. These skills are great assets when stalking the city for prey.

Mute
Silence an enemy/civilian. Any sounds they produce, from screams to gunfire, are completely undetectable to others.

Unseen Aura
Become temporarily invisible to enemies and civilians. Note: You can still be heard unless combined with Silence of Death.

Instead of writing these blogs they should really just confirm what the game actually is. I still don't know what mechanics are in besides stealth brawler stuff.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
They still haven’t decided, they’re iterating on the assets, the game part comes later, Mechajammer-style.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
That's it, isn't it? Just the stealth brawler. No weapons, no stats, no other mechanics - like a Dishonored xtra lite?

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Arkane is dead after Prey.
To me they died after they never made a sequel to Dark Messiah. Dishonored couldn't hold a candle to it. Cheap cellshadey graphics killed all the mood. To even older old fags, they probably died after Arx Fatalis.
Same here. To only game from them that I genuinely enjoyed was Dark Messiah. Never got warm with the subsequent titles due to the art style and the somehow worse game play. A proper sequel to Dark Messiah with respect to gameplay and looks is something I'd look forward to. It's a shame that there is nothing close to that in sight. I hoped Monomyth would go into that direction but it is not quite there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom