Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

VD's Gothic 3 impressions

hiciacit

Liturgist
I ran like a madman: out of the lighthouse, passed the orcs swarming Wenzel, across the arena, and made myself scarce for the hills. I got ashamed of my own cowardness and returned, posiotioning myself behind the pack of orcs and mercenaries that were relentlessly beating down on Wenzel. Llike, we had them surrounded. We then wreaked some serious havoc up on that hill.

Liberating Cape Dun was quite a fight, but very entertaining indeed.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Vault Dweller said:
While you can play a "double-agent" for a reasonably long time, sooner than later you need to make a choice. Either you liberate the orcish town or kill all the rebels in that camp.
Hmm, I am uncertain about the meaning of this statement; it seems to be in direct opposition to what I said.

I've just finished wiping out the orcs/mercs near the lighthouse. Tough battle of several reloads.
I softened up Cape Dun by luring several mercs and orcs into a dark corner to murder them.

PS:
The greatest fight I had so far was with a Paladin called Karlen. I had to sprint away and drink a health potion several times; also, never forget to put your sword away first, or you'll stand there, put your sword away, drink the potion and draw your sword again. That's not good.

Magistrator

Novice
Although the average gamer will hate it, slow loading times are good IMO. With this in mind, fights are more tense. You'll also think twice before challenging a stronger opponent. I hope it won't be fixed.

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
Claw said:
Vault Dweller said:
While you can play a "double-agent" for a reasonably long time, sooner than later you need to make a choice. Either you liberate the orcish town or kill all the rebels in that camp.
Hmm, I am uncertain about the meaning of this statement; it seems to be in direct opposition to what I said.

I've just finished wiping out the orcs/mercs near the lighthouse. Tough battle of several reloads.
I softened up Cape Dun by luring several mercs and orcs into a dark corner to murder them.

PS:
The greatest fight I had so far was with a Paladin called Karlen. I had to sprint away and drink a health potion several times; also, never forget to put your sword away first, or you'll stand there, put your sword away, drink the potion and draw your sword again. That's not good.

Karlen? Where was he? I've retrieved all the Fire Chalices, and now need to return them to the Paladins... I still have three left, and no idea where to take them.

Im sure there must be an alternate way or that item may not be essential. Otherwise they would not give players the choice to piss off the orcs.

It WAS on his corpse. :D However, the liberation of the city appears to be bugged... the place certainly wasn't liberated, battle music keeps playing even though I can't find any more orcs, my companion keeps accusing me of murder (OF ORCS) and standing frozen in a battle pose.... stupid thing.

hiciacit

Liturgist
Magistrator said:
Although the average gamer will hate it, slow loading times are good IMO. With this in mind, fights are more tense. You'll also think twice before challenging a stronger opponent. I hope it won't be fixed.

I disagree; that's just bullshit. A difficult game, one where you can expect a severe ass whooping for being careless or cocky, is what realy makes the fights more tense and engaging. Slow load times are nothing but a proverbial pain in the ass. When I spend 50 euros on a game, I do not want to be staring at a loading screen half of my playing time. My spare time is a little too precious. In fact, I stopped playing Gothic III out of sheer frustration until the noCD patch came out (which solved the rediculously long loading times in my particular case).

Magistrator

Novice
hiciacit said:
Magistrator said:
... When I spend 50 euros on a game, I do not want to be staring at a loading screen half of my playing time. ....
If that's the case, you should play more careful, and think before acting. It's also better for your personal development in real life. :wink:

Although everybody (including me) is used to quick restoring saved games, I believe in the end the experience is more intense when there's some sort of penalty to reloading a game. Although slow-loading is probably not the best example, I admit...

Whipporowill

Erudite
Gwendo said:
Hum... After clearing the village, they tell me to talk with someone near the beach. When I arrive there, the guy just says we'll talk later, can't initiate a dialogue. I've tryied to wait 'til other hours of the day, but nothing. Is it a bug?

Try coming back later - I remember him not instigating the auto-dialogue until he was sitting by the fire.

B t w - game owns! Archery is great, animals are hard (even if boars are a bit too rough for me even at lvl 6) as should be. Not a top of the line comp (2,66 ghz, 1 mb ram, 9600 pro 128 ram) but it does run in a somewhat decent state on medium detail.

Bossman

Educated
Well, from what I've played so far I can probably safely assume that if you have enough patience and arrows you can kill anything in Gothic 3.

So far I've slayed ogres, boars, orcs, wolves, goblins, a rhino, Ortega, Lurkers and two dragons without losing a single HP.

Actually, it's kind of fun being on an elevated position and watching an Ogre trying to reach you, with 20 or so arrows sticking out of his forehead :)

whatusername

Scholar
Gah, I need help on trying to liberate Montera.

I've given the sacks of wheat.
I've given the barrels of milk.
I've done the quests for Marik. (collect rent from farm, tell the lazy-arse mercenary to go away)
Beat everyone at the Arena.
I let the rebels take out the slave camp guards one-by-one.
Figured out who the rebel agent is.

Yet my reputation is only 67. Arrgghh...

Btw, does it seem odd to anyone that the Flame Sword costs only 1000? :roll:

whatusername said:
Gah, I need help on trying to liberate Montera.

I've given the sacks of wheat.
I've given the barrels of milk.
I've done the quests for Marik. (collect rent from farm, tell the lazy-arse mercenary to go away)
Beat everyone at the Arena.
I let the rebels take out the slave camp guards one-by-one.
Figured out who the rebel agent is.

Yet my reputation is only 67. Arrgghh...

Btw, does it seem odd to anyone that the Flame Sword costs only 1000? :roll:

Hmm. Did you do the Mercenary Loyalty quest? Find Ashton's embezzled gold?

whatusername

Scholar
Admiral jimbob said:
Hmm. Did you do the Mercenary Loyalty quest?

Ye, but for some reason, I can't report what the mercenary in the grain farm thinks of him.

Admiral jimbob said:
Find Ashton's embezzled gold?

Never heard of that quest.

fizzelopeguss said:
Did you swap the slaves for bradley as well.

I was feeling too lazy at the time I got the quest, so I told the lazy fucker to do it himself. Am I screwed now?

whatusername

Scholar
Ah! I remember that chest. Damn it. I should just start attacking everyone like crazy now, since I have no chance at getting a reputation of 75 now?

Gwendo

Augur
sabishii said:
Gwendo said:
Hum... After clearing the village, they tell me to talk with someone near the beach. When I arrive there, the guy just says we'll talk later, can't initiate a dialogue. I've tryied to wait 'til other hours of the day, but nothing. Is it a bug?
Yeah, same thing happened to me. I decided to just kill him.

When I reloaded the game, the guy talked to me. It was a bug. :)

BTW, am I the only one annoyed by the fact that the only way to kill a person is by stabbing him in the ground? If it's to prevent acidental deaths (that would be too hardOBLIVION!!!), then we shouldn't be able to hit someone by mistake, as happened to me in the rebel camp. A better system would be: when the life bar is almost empty, the guy could fall unconscious. If the blow is too hard, it might kill the man standing.

suleo

Scholar
There is also a "wolves in a cave" quest from one of the farms. As for the embezzled gold, the hint is given by one of the slaves in a farm, but it might be that to initiate this line, you need to have the "swap the slaves" quest active.

suleo

Scholar
Gwendo said:
BTW, am I the only one annoyed by the fact that the only way to kill a person is by stabbing him in the ground? If it's to prevent acidental deaths (that would be too hardOBLIVION!!!), then we shouldn't be able to hit someone by mistake, as happened to me in the rebel camp. A better system would be: when the life bar is almost empty, the guy could fall unconscious. If the blow is too hard, it might kill the man standing.

It only happens if they are "green" (friendly) or "white" (neutral). If they are "red", they die. Try it on a bunch of orks that are white. Kill one with coup-de-grace, everyone else screams "murder", they turn red, and then you dont have to cdg them anymore; they just stay dead.

denizsi

Arcane
I also like the armor thing as well, but I think it might be better if there was a skill to maintain that, kind of which I've suggested in a thread of mine.

You try to adjust the armor to your body. You can try until you screw the armor up, lowering the efficiency (not permanently) with each try in case, or just wear it with penalties since it's not tailored to your body. If you take it to blacksmith however, (s)he will fix and adjust it to your body.

But even without such a thing, it's good imo.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Wow, VD, with all I have been hearing about bugs and the like, your impressions sound really intriguing. You changed my point of view of this game from "will pick it up in ten years" to a definite "will pick it up in four years" (when my computer is good enough and when I have enough time to spare). Good job! I did not expect Gothic 3 to be good.

Being cynical, I refuse to believe that I can stick with the orcs till the end, but if I can, then this is one hell of a game.

Well, apparently there are three different endings. I assume that's an Innos/Rebels one, a Beliar/Orcs one, and a neutral one, but I haven't got far enough to say yet; though, judging by the responses to my pleas for help on other sites, I've gotten farther than most people. Le sigh.

Monica21

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
Updated my impressions.
Thanks, VD. :) This is looking better and better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom