Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

VD's Gothic 3 impressions

Monolith

Prophet
Jasede said:
Wow, VD, with all I have been hearing about bugs and the like, your impressions sound really intriguing. You changed my point of view of this game from "will pick it up in ten years" to a definite "will pick it up in four years" (when my computer is good enough and when I have enough time to spare). Good job! I did not expect Gothic 3 to be good.
Same here - except that I'll try to get a copy in december. Looks like I have a Christmas present for my gf!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Your present being that you will be playing Gothic 3 over the holidays, thus refraining from bothering your girlfriend?

Focus: Don't write the review before seeing everything, VD. Maybe the game is unfinished at the end, or something, like KOTOR 2. But I guess you know that.

Monolith

Prophet
Jasede said:
Your present being that you will be playing Gothic 3 over the holidays, thus refraining from bothering your girlfriend?
No holidays for me during christmas...unless I manage to break my arm or...neck. My gf likes the Gothic series so...it's a win-win situation. ;)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Jasede said:
Focus: Don't write the review before seeing everything, VD. Maybe the game is unfinished at the end, or something, like KOTOR 2. But I guess you know that.
I will finish the game with my "rebel" character, then will play on the orcs' side a bit, to have enough to compare. Then I'll write a review.

Bradylama

Arcane
That third "neutral" side apparently involves working with the slave traders in the desert. No idea what their ending would be like, though I wonder if it involves preserving the status quo so that they have an excuse to sell slaves to the Orcs?

Veracity

Liturgist
Does working for the orcs actually make reasonable sense, or is it just selfish-evil? I don't remember G2 orcs being more than indiscriminately destructive and maraudy, but I guess it could be made plausible as long as they actually look after humans that help them out, especially if they're in the dominant position to begin with.

Micmu

Magister
You can role-play a misanthrope in Gothic 3, side with orcs, wipe out filthy humans and then hump orc chicks for the rest of your life.

Makes sense. :)

Needle

Novice
Veracity said:
Does working for the orcs actually make reasonable sense, or is it just selfish-evil? I don't remember G2 orcs being more than indiscriminately destructive and maraudy, but I guess it could be made plausible as long as they actually look after humans that help them out, especially if they're in the dominant position to begin with.

Don't the slave traders also worship Beliar? I would assume that the neutral ending has something to do with Adanos.

Deleted member 7219

Has anyone actually seen a woman yet in this game?

I've been playing for a while now, copy came on Friday and I've been playing a few hours a day since, and so far the only woman I have seen is a female slave.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Man, this game just keeps getting better and better, after spending a little time in sildern (i think) and speaking to my old buddy thorus, i headed up to gotha...jesus that's another gorgeous zone, great music plays as you go up there, teamed up with the venerable gorn and world stood still as we put the undead to rest.

There's just so much stuff to do, i'm quite lost (in a good way) i wen't to the capital, but now i'm thinking do i visit the other towns in myrtana(about 3 i haven't visited)...do i head to nordmarr? or should i go crusading down in the desert. :lol:

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm a little pissed right now. I learned fire wave just to realize the animation takes so long it's hardly useable against actual enemies. I only successed by luring some snappers towards some bandits first and then casting the spell while they were busy. The damage output wasn't awesome either.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Matt7895 said:

I've been playing for a while now, copy came on Friday and I've been playing a few hours a day since, and so far the only woman I have seen is a female slave.

There are a bunch (3+) of nondescript female rebels in Reddock, no real female npc's as of yet in my travels.

spacemoose

Erudite
Whipporowill said:
Matt7895 said:

There are a bunch (3+) of nondescript female rebels in Reddock, no real female npc's as of yet in my travels.

this certainly raises some questions

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Whipporowill said:
Gwendo said:
Hum... After clearing the village, they tell me to talk with someone near the beach. When I arrive there, the guy just says we'll talk later, can't initiate a dialogue. I've tryied to wait 'til other hours of the day, but nothing. Is it a bug?

Try coming back later - I remember him not instigating the auto-dialogue until he was sitting by the fire.

B t w - game owns! Archery is great, animals are hard (even if boars are a bit too rough for me even at lvl 6) as should be. Not a top of the line comp (2,66 ghz, 1 mb ram, 9600 pro 128 ram) but it does run in a somewhat decent state on medium detail.
Define semi decent. That's pretty much what I have except for the processor (2 ghz) and I just want to know what I'm in for.

Deleted member 7219

Spacemoose said:
Whipporowill said:
Matt7895 said:

this certainly raises some questions

Like, either Pirahna Bytes see their ideal roleplaying setting as having as few females as possible, or maybe they just REALLY like seeing muscular armoured men everywhere they look?

Bradylama

Arcane
Well it's a masculine-dominated society, so women aren't going to be coming to the forefront. For that matter, are there female orcs?

It's probably the same reason VD doesn't like kids. :P

Veracity

Liturgist
Matt7895 said:
maybe they just REALLY like seeing muscular armoured men everywhere they look?
Don't we all? Do all NPCs have voice-over? Paying as few actors as possible may have something to do with it, if so.

Blue

Novice
whatusername said:
Ah! I remember that chest. Damn it. I should just start attacking everyone like crazy now, since I have no chance at getting a reputation of 75 now?

I have to say that I hope you completely fucked yourself because of your decisions. The same thing was possible in previous gothic games to screw yourself out of a quest depending on your decisions. This makes the gothic series what is, consequences for your actions.

Thanks for the impressions VD, now to wait for it to arrive in Canada and then wait for a couple more patches to come and then see about maybe ordering the CE from over seas.

Blue

suleo

Scholar
All the women I've seen so far are either rebel fighters or slaves. All have the same (single) voice acting. Oh and I haven't seen any female orks.

Rina

Scholar
suleo said:
All the women I've seen so far are either rebel fighters or slaves. All have the same (single) voice acting. Oh and I haven't seen any female orks.

That just confirms my suspicions that the game's developers are unwavering homosexuals who spend half of their time in their office by exploring each others oiled muscular bodies while wearing He-Man and Orko outfits. Nothing wrong with that of course, kind of cute actually, but I just wish it wouldnt happen at expense of otherwise potentially good RPG. :roll:

But I still think that I'm going to give the game a chance since everyone here at the hive are so excited about it, but I dont expect it to be any better roleplaying experience than Diablo or Zoo Tycoon. :oops:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Eh, so having many female NPCs makes an RPG better? I never missed women in a Gothic game. There were some, they didn't matter. It's a rough world and I am glad we don't see any muscle-chicks wearing platemail bras.

Rina

Scholar
Jasede said:
Eh, so having many female NPCs makes an RPG better?

Not necessarily, but I'm (still) more bothered by that I cant play one.
I'm not saying that I want to be running around in platemail bikinis, but trying to roleplay a man is pretty much same as playing a koala bear. I'm sure it will be entertaining for a couple of hours but I dont think that I'm going to pay full price for it.

"Me barbarian. Me eat eucalyptys leaf. Me kill you with death foul orc!" :roll:

spacemoose

Erudite
good, games are the man's domain. now back to baking pies and popping out babies with you

PS: if anyone from pyrhana bytes is reading this: don't listen to them, the glory of Rome was built on buggery, there can be no shame in it! (as long as you're pitching)

Krokar

Scholar
VD can you tell us more about what skills you tryed. With that i mean what skills did you learn at certain levels, how many learning points you used on certain skill ect. Oh and what fighting styles (sword, sword and shield ect) did you try and what is your favourite one?

Gwendo

Augur
Piraha Bytes have an hidden gay lobby agenda... First, hey fucked us with an unoptimized and buggy game, no women. What's next?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom