Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vendetta: Curse of Raven's Cry - open world pirate action-RPG from Two Worlds developer

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Is this game worth it? Poles tend to shill this game but they are biased in some ways, so how does this game feel? Is it a truly good pirate game?
I am PolishRussianSlovak Czech too, and I found this game to consist of every possible level of pros and cons in general.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I could use some gameplay pointers.

Should I kill everyone or sneak past them? I have problem with readability of what happens in the game. When should I do what? There's so many different attacks and bars charging that I need to keep track on.

Are the default controls the best?

Just managing the controls and trying to figure out what happens is my biggest gripe at the moment. I'm not used to playing action games.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I could use some gameplay pointers.

Should I kill everyone or sneak past them?
Depends on your playstyle. I'm guessing you're still in the prologue (right after they burn your ship), so sneaking past is preferable - Christopher is quite squishy and can die fast.

I have problem with readability of what happens in the game. When should I do what? There's so many different attacks and bars charging that I need to keep track on.
Once you invest into melee skill tree Christopher's controls will become more responsive, you'll also have more options and attacks - kick, hook attack, distracting enemy with your raven, pistols. In the beginning, you should focus on swings, blocking and timing properly your counters. It requires some time to learn, but you'll get it finally.
Are the default controls the best?
I think I used the default ones.
Just managing the controls and trying to figure out what happens is my biggest gripe at the moment. I'm not used to playing action games.
Vendetta is not a game easy to master. It requires you to learn its systems first - of sea battles, fencing, economy. Probably it was one of the reasons (along all the bugs) that the press hated it :)

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
C79FBB944FCB9100C420FBD07641481A7E783F3F

45C55BF13903BFF6FC68B6C57BCE3EEF8E700763

F56A6248ADA5B4CC4DA09845E140430766F07147

6E2E33C629626BDF1B7E4F16961C7BE3098348FF

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finished my replay of the game. Lots of fun, this time however I joined a faction and was disappointed. I joined France and the French questline consisted only of 3 quests. Idk how it is for other factions, but I suspect similar. I had hoped it would be at least a dozen quests or so, considering there is aplenty of "normal" side quests and it is a pirate game in gameplay, not just an RPG. Oh well. Still, enjoyed my replay a lot, though this time I did manage to break some minor side quests doing things out of the quest sequence, but had no major issues. Also, gained a lot of money at the beginning of the game just exploring all the available islands collecting stuff and hunting animals, as well as doing all side quests I could, so I could already afford war galleon in chapter 1 :m

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Konjad convinced me to give it a try during a recent meetup. Let's do it!

I'm posting to emphasize that I'm a man of my word, and have just bought the game - but also to remind Red Hexapus that he promised to do the same.

Optimist

Savant
Patron
So, uh

as of now, the Steam version of the game refuses to automatically activate itself, so you need to pull out its CD-key and manually input it into a legacy activation suite

The intro was somewhat confusing, felt like it lacked Linkin Park in the background

It's pretty much Two Worlds, but with pirates, I think? The jank on display is very different from the widely-loved, methodical, and woody jank of Gothic. This jank is highly unstable, very floaty, and makes you feel like the game is going to drunkenly collapse any second now.

I enjoy how most of the combat can be resolved by applying gun to the face. The RPG elements seem very basic, though.

The dialogues and story so far do indeed seem like a direct continuation of Planescape: Torment. The epic story of a golden rum-doling captain is one for the ages.

All in all I think I like it? I've only just begun, so I'm expecting the game to open up a bit.

Konjad

Patron
Well, it opens up once you get your first ship (so in about 2h? maybe sooner?), before that it's essentially a tutorial-cutscene mix.

Optimist

Savant
Patron
Should I keep any of the treasure I find (rings, earrings, Treasures of the Aztecs), or is it all good to be sold?

Konjad

Patron
Should I keep any of the treasure I find (rings, earrings, Treasures of the Aztecs), or is it all good to be sold?
As far as I remember you can sell it all, but there was something used in a quest or two, however, it always had an unique name. Any generic treasure you can sell.

Optimist

Savant
Patron
Well, I've done it. What the fuck was that ending song.

I can see how there's a cult following of the game. There are a lot of things that kind of work, the piratin' mood is strong - and hey, grog certainly improves your gameplay experience - and there is some janky charm involved. Krzysztof Kruk being one of the greatest asshats you'll ever play in a video game, combined with uncanny valley presentation strangely gripped me, as though I was watching one of these amateur black comedy criminal movies, where you're following a bunch of incompetent hooligans and wait for the violence to unexpectedly escalate. I recall having similar impressions a long, long time ago, back when I played Two Worlds 2 (what the fuck was that side story with an army of crystal golems).

The gameplay, especially the ship combat, had some potential. Walking segments became trivial when I found an amulet and a hat each reducing incoming damage by 20%. These combined with the "Cut of the Jib" skill reducing it further by 10%/level (despite the description mentioning 5%) made any swordfight clicking enemies to death, with occasional jogs to regenerate my health. The critical issue for the sailing segments was upgrading all the way up to a Man o' War ASAP, and then buying the upgrades piece by piece, the difficulty of this part of the game slowly goes down as you play it.

The game is still somewhat buggy. My favorite issue was when after upgrading my galleon's cannons, I suddenly became unable to fire cannons from the whattadaycallit, right side (apologies for not using the professional terminology, the only thing I know about sailing is that you don't reef the bowsprit). Two side quests broke, enemy AI was glitching every now and then, and characters as well as quest markers didn't disappear when they should've.

Was there any conclusion to the Abbot questline in Bridgetown? Was it ever explained why did Neville go after the main character's father? I loved how there were a whole six people responsible for the story.

Also, does each faction have a specific upgrade? The UK opened up a flat hull damage reduction, but I've seen that the keyboard bindings allow you to select grenades as your ammo type, so I'm assuming that some other faction allows you to utilize those.

I'd say that as far as piratin' games go, it was somewhere between Risens 2 and 3.

Paging Damned Registrations to play it in the intermission of his XPirateZ playthrough. Also, Red Hexapus to see how he's doing.

What the fuck was that ending song.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom