Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Victoria 3

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
WwuskUB.jpg

9RcnkdP.jpg

Z0daSXN.jpg

ag4iOuj.jpg
It is not a game,it is an experience.

Drop Duck

Learned
I'm currently playing as Great Qing and the game objective I picked is Egalitarian Society, anyone got any tips on how to best proceed without breaking down into smaller states? First time I play a Paradox game that's set before WWII.

Eh, fiddled around with it for about an hour or two, didn't really want to mentally invest and commit too much since it's a dev build after all, but it seems to me that everyone and their mothers will complain about warfare when this comes out, unless they overhaul the system entirely - which they probably won't because Wiz probably considers each and every one of his creative farts as a work of genius.

It's literally and fundamentally a diceroll system with minimal input of the player's agency where you'll just consistently see bigger pops and nations winning conflicts. That's like, an epitome of a bad design lol.

LizardWizard

Prophet
It's literally and fundamentally a diceroll system with minimal input of the player's agency where you'll just consistently see bigger pops and nations winning conflicts. That's like, an epitome of a bad design lol.

It's a Grand Strategy Game with heavy focus on Economics/Politcis/Diplomacy. The skillgap divider shouldn't be unit micro. It's dumb as fuck I can run my HOI4 major power into then ground and then solo the world with a couple well built tank divisions.

Go play Age of Empires you faggot

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

If you want yet another trick AI into attacking you in bad terrain game there is EU series already. If you want detailed operational warfare gameplay there is HOI4.

Dude, you don't like dicerolls so you must like the braindead move-cancel-lock-bait EU4/ck3 shitfests.
To be honest I don't expect a rational take from someone thinking of simulated gambling as a viable game mechanic, but whatever floats your boat.

Who are you talking with? Who are you debating?
Just because I criticize one system doesn't mean I condone the other in the previous installment.

A certain factor of randomness I don't have anything against, it is welcome. But when a system is built on the number magnitude equivalent of a dick measuring contest with next to zero player agency involved - that's a bad design. Granted, again, it's a dev built, they'll likely build up and improve upon it, but not by any significant margin I imagine.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Game tries to de-emphasize warfare gameplay to put more of the focus on demographic, economic, political and diplomatic factors. The fact that it's reliant on gamesystems to solve war and have chance involved is by design. Now they could add some more elements to warfare that would increases strategic, but not tactical, elements. Such as guerilla warfare.

- UI is much worse than V2. Less clear, less dense, less intuitive.
Seems to be a new trend in Paradox. CK3's UI is also dogshit compared to CK2's.
This is a somewhat unpopular opinion.

Do you not like the new tooltips or is the UI shit in spite of them being great?

At least in V3 they're both shit. The base UI is poorly designed and unintuitive (in V2 for example you always knew your tech progress because there was a section in the topbar that showed it; no such thing in V3) but that's not to say the tooltips are a good feature as they currently stand. The "hover for a while to keep them pinned" feature is good but the delay before they appear initially is bad. If they fixed that delay they'd probably be ok (not "great") but the base UI's shit in any case.

Adaptive/recursive tooltips are widely considered a big boost in Paradox UI, though they borrowed the idea from At The Gates and didn't invent it themselves. What about them do you object to? Would you prefer static tooltips?

Are you illiterate? I would prefer the tooltip pops up when I mouse over, not after a delay.

Harthwain

Magister
Paradox games were always "a diceroll system with minimal input of the player's agency". However, you could always pick troops composition, terrain, general, tactics, etc. and win against "bigger pops and nations" that way. Don't expect to have "player agency" beyond that, considering the scope of the game.

Are you illiterate? I would prefer the tooltip pops up when I mouse over, not after a delay.
Pretty sure there is an option for that in released Paradox games. Might not be the case for a dev build though.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
As someone, who played shitload of CKII I can saythat you are a faggot. CKII may have lacking in content but if something was made right it was UI. I can literally filter and find almost everything I need within several clicks while in latest CKII build it take me twice or even thrice amount of clikcking.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
As someone, who played shitload of CKII I can saythat you are a faggot. CKII may have lacking in content but if something was made right it was UI. I can literally filter and find almost everything I need within several clicks while in latest CKII build it take me twice or even thrice amount of clikcking.
ck2 have better ui,it filters out dumb peasants that get afraid by it

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

Do you not like the new tooltips or is the UI shit in spite of them being great?

At least in V3 they're both shit. The base UI is poorly designed and unintuitive (in V2 for example you always knew your tech progress because there was a section in the topbar that showed it; no such thing in V3) but that's not to say the tooltips are a good feature as they currently stand. The "hover for a while to keep them pinned" feature is good but the delay before they appear initially is bad. If they fixed that delay they'd probably be ok (not "great") but the base UI's shit in any case.

Adaptive/recursive tooltips are widely considered a big boost in Paradox UI, though they borrowed the idea from At The Gates and didn't invent it themselves. What about them do you object to? Would you prefer static tooltips?

Bro you said they'd be okay rather than great. Maybe you are the illiterate one.

Bro you said they'd be okay rather than great. Maybe you are the illiterate one.

In what world is a tooltip "great"? They're shit right now because they have a delay on them. If you took the delay away they'd just be tooltips. Ok. But there's nothing "great" about a tooltip.

Drop Duck

Learned
- Music seems good.
- Camera angle is bad - it's too shallow. Probably meant to show off the fancy graphics, but I actually find it uncomfortable how shallow it is. It should be more top-down.
You can just use the middle mouse button to straighten out the camera angle. I had to give up my quest to make China diverse and equitable due to the terrible UI though. There's just no easy way to get things done like in Hearts of Iron 2. Instead you drag and drop some icon to change relations? Building things, diplomacy, it's all so hard to do with this UI. There's probably a good game there somewhere underneath where you can make the POC bodypositive queen on the main menu the leader of China and free the slaves in the middle-east but you'd have to fight the UI every step of the way there and it's not much fun let me tell you. Never going to get those achievements of accomplishing feminism and conquering Britain as India.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
Question is, can we suffer through the bullshit until mods fix the woke.

People asked the same question of CK3, and the decline was so deeply ingrained that nobody could fix it with mods. None of the best modders from CK2 even made a serious attempt.
I don’t see why Victoria 3 should be so different, even if I wish it weren’t so.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Question is, can we suffer through the bullshit until mods fix the woke.

People asked the same question of CK3, and the decline was so deeply ingrained that nobody could fix it with mods. None of the best modders from CK2 even made a serious attempt.
I don’t see why Victoria 3 should be so different, even if I wish it weren’t so.
You know about that 4chan genocide mod for vicky 2? What we need is an organized anti-woke modding group. I'll also try that leaked build now, I'm curious what it looks like.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom