Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

VirtuaVerse - cyberpunk pixel point & click adventure

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
i am not a computer exprert so what does those lines below DAEMON means ? seems like bunch of network jargons but i don't really understand it.
Port number/Transport layer protocol/Various internet server types.

BBSes used to be used by pirate scene groups, though I'm not sure you'd say you surf them. Gopher is a competitor to HTTP, so maybe you'd say you surf gopher. Both BBS and Gopher may perhaps said to be "in the past", although the Gopher web has had a strong positive growth trend in the last decade.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thanks, still i have no clue about the message yet, i tried briefly looking in the game files and looked to any files that can be openened as txt and find nothing so far, maybe it will make sense further in game. I have only played for like 30 ninutes.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
HoboForEternity They're just listing the servers they have on the IP behind mbrserver.com - you've already visited 80/TCP/HTTP.

Anyway, I suspect MBR is a band that did music for the game, and this is just their website/webservices.

Last edited:

WallaceChambers

Learned
So, I'm a few hours in and it's still very good. The story is concise and to the point in a way that reminds me of old school adventure games. "I want to be a pirate" vs "I want to find my girl" it's simple, it works and there's some decent world building around it. The visuals and OST are great if you like the style it's after. The puzzles aren't blowing my mind but they're enjoyable enough and a decent challenge.

The only thing that stands out as a significant flaw is that a few of the puzzle solutions/outcomes don't really fit the story imo. It seems like a deliberate choice, though, since it's really easy to see how they could've been different with mild tweaking.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I completed the game. Overall it's cool, I recommend it. For some reason I expected a smaller game, less locations, a smaller inventory, a shorter length and I was pleasantly suprised. Note that I personally care about the puzzles but, in my opinion, people who mostly care about the story and don't care about puzzles will like the game too.

The story really works, the dystopian as well as the cool part, aesthetic and music fit perfectly and many locations are visually very detailed. The humour is in the right places. Nerdy stuff is there too and mostly fits, game is a lot about old tech, current tech and future tech. Saying the game is extremely original would probably be an exaggeration but they managed to do their own thing, the game has some identity.

You've got a lot of items from the start and all the puzzles are well designed, you can't bruteforce and don't have to either, items are meant to be used in a logical way but the inventory is big enough and the sequences long enough that the puzzles are fun to solve. Puzzles which are not simply using one item on one spot are not legion and even the ones which are there are not extremely inventive but I liked those anyway.

You always feel like you are both solving puzzles and advancing the story, none of the two aspects ever fades.

There are at least some lines of text for trying logical things which lead nowhere. There are more spots and items that what you're really going to use.

I think there are more simply trigerring a new dialog, especially by examining something, than average. I was surprise at least a few times and eventually advanced because I talked to people again rather by chance rather than really thinking about it. I'm not really sure what to think about that.

The game lacks the feature of directly leaving an area when double clicking on the border, I wouldn't be surprised if people complained about that and it was added in a future patch. I thought they were quite a lot of walking but I'm certain it's related to this.

Nothing to compare with some other recent games which is why this one is good but the game is divided into several sequences which are not very long, I can't help but thinking this game like many other games would be better with a more open structure where many locations are quickly available and early areas are still available and relevant up to the end like most of my favourite adventure games.

The game is not the greatest but it's good, play it.

Last edited:

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Story fags already crying about the "difficult" puzzles and "muh pacing" on GOG. But I gave them the answer that they deserve.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
I on the other hand refunded it quite quickly - the game is too inventory-heavy and the protagonist too preachy at times, getting into rants on cloud computing spying on you, victims of the system, crt being superior to lcd etc., the few puzzles I beat did not excite me at all

Regarding the aesthetic - it's the one of lo-fi chill beats compillations, a neon-coloured .gif image you admire until you don't

This may be my personal bias, but the game feels as if it was designed and produced not necessarily by adventure gamers, but by chiptune makers and hacking/tech fetishizing internet folks from 4chan or the like

Yeah we saw what kind of adventures the "real adventure gamers" have delivered so far...Half of them are brain-dead walking sims and the other half are overrated story novels for storyfags like most of the wadjet eye's catalogue is... I would choose the "chiptunes" makers any time of the day in comparison to the other pretentious abominations, Retard.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
This seems like kino is it true? However I prefer story to puzzles so I hope it's not too puzzle focused

WallaceChambers

Learned
This seems like kino is it true? However I prefer story to puzzles so I hope it's not too puzzle focused

It's a puzzle heavy adventure game, especially by modern standards. The part I'm up to has gotten more challenging. A few BS-ish moments but nothing undoable. There's also a lot of story but it also doesn't take itself too seriously. It kinda straddles the line between being a serious cyberpunk story and an irreverent comedic homage. Not a parody by any stretch but there's definitely an ambient silliness to the style of writing and certain puzzle solutions.

It kinda reminds me of Beneath a Steel Sky in that way but a lot nerdier. It's like Cyberpunk through the vantage point of a nerd who was really invested in the late 00's piracy scene and DIY music.

I'm kinda of two minds about the writing at this point. I sometimes wish the game took it's fiction a bit more seriously but I am really enjoying myself overall. Your character is the stereotype of an "adventure game asshole" in a way I haven't seen done in a long time. A lot of the puzzle solutions in this game really fuck people over.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I love this kind of puzzles, the solution is simple and logical yet the puzzle is elaborate and it's fun and memorable. The hint is subtle enough but above all they perfectly integrated a dedicated context which is much bigger than the only solution. That's ton of extra work for just one puzzle but that's what makes a good puzzle.

The game does not have many such puzzles but even only several ones testifies to an elaborate and polished work.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Darkozric when you write your "real" review, just be detailed and eloquent about the strengths of the game, especially when those strengths were maligned as weaknesses by others. Anyone who has ever spent time looking at reviews understands there are users who get it, and those who don't. You don't need to call them storyfags, or even directly address them or their reviews, to rebut their points and help the game.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Darkozric when you write your "real" review, just be detailed and eloquent about the strengths of the game, especially when those strengths were maligned as weaknesses by others. Anyone who has ever spent time looking at reviews understands there are users who get it, and those who don't. You don't need to call them storyfags, or even directly address them or their reviews, to rebut their points and help the game.

I know, it was the first time I wrote something like this on GOG, I was just fed up with the mass of idiots. Plus this is my second back up GOG account. So I don't give a fuck what they do.
I can be detailed, I did that with the Broken Age fiasco back in the day without insulting any one, and this review is in the front page of the most helpful reviews (But as you can expect, they were tons of butthurts too).

Last edited:

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy

"Urgh yeah this is a game for real men for real smart people who have their shit together in life I am going to write angrily about it on a video game forum."

And? What's your point? Did I fail to entertain you? And no it's not just a gaming forum, it's the codex idiot. One would expect that you'd get it by now looking at your 10 year account, but obviously the retardation is strong with you.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
10 WISHLIST GAME
20 IF $$$ = 0 GOTO 80
30 IF TIME = 0 GOTO 80
40 IF HEART = FALSE GOTO 80
50 PRINT "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY"
60 PURCHASE GAME
70 GOTO 90
80 DESPAIR
90 END

(A little too basic perhaps?)

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
"Urgh yeah this is a game for real men for real smart people who have their shit together in life I am going to write angrily about it on a video game forum."
I agree that there is no need to get melodramatic, most of Steam top reviews are positive, which is also true for many harder games than this one (Deponia series is quite harder). That said, two things. First, play the game, you like this type of game, you will like this one and you will see there's nothing wrong with its puzzles and it's really not a particularly hard game. Secondly, you can't deny it's safer to make an easy game these days, one of the reason is that many people hate puzzles in adventure games while there's no real vocal group which would specifically praise games with cool puzzles more than other games, for example the site Adventure Gamers praises adventure games with puzzles but praises those without puzzles just as much and the exact same can be said about the AGS community (even as far as I'm only concerned it's annoying since there's no satisfying way to look for the type of games I want to play, the night & day difference between Deponia 3 and some very easy game is not obvious by checking reviews). I think it's a problem, it's safer and it's also easier, of course, to make simple and easy games and there's nothing to gain from making an elaborate game. In this context, when some devs take the time to make an elaborate game for the only reason that they like games then, yes, I get specfically triggered by ridiculous downvoting on a store with a review starting with "I love point & click adventures" then complaining about puzzles, there's no way in hell this kind of review is made by someone who enjoyed Day of the tentacle or a similar game. The game succeeded at being what it should be and the review complains about this very thing, that's unfair, misleading and depressing.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
CryptRat and Darkozric how do the puzzles and inventory juggling compare to, say, Primordia? Sounds like the puzzles may be similar to slightly more difficult, with more inventory items at any given time?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Yes, exactly that, you always have many more inventory items and the puzzles are similar or maybe slightly more difficult.

Last edited:

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
[/QUOTE] I get specfically triggered by ridiculous downvoting on a store with a review starting with "I love point & click adventures" then complaining about puzzles, there's no way in hell this kind of review is made by someone who enjoyed Day of the tentacle or a similar game. The game succeeded at being what it should be and the review complains about this very thing, that's unfair, misleading and depressing.[/QUOTE]

You said it all in 2 sentences... I can't agree more. It's especially depressing when you know that the last good adventure we got was Thimbleweed Park in 2016 and after 4 years we finally got a game in a similar spirit and and a bunch of butthurts downvoting it for being the thing that it's aimed to be. Seriously, I don't get those people, the market is flooded with casual adventures for them to enjoy and then suddenly a little smarter game appears and it's like the end of the world for them.
I was a meany in my "response/review", I know, but stupidity has its limits as I do. I'm curious are you going to write a review? You seem more even tempered than me :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom