Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Visual Novel Recomendation Thread

Theldaran

Liturgist
I'm late as this was revealed like more than a month ago or something. But Robotics;Notes is coming out October 14th on Steam alongside Robotics;Notes DaSH (the sequel).

Even if Spike Chunsoft is at times unfulfilling in their work, they're doing their homework with the releases. Each year we get some goodie.

There will also be Switch and PS4 versions if you're a consoletard. Both games will be bundled into one:

https://twitter.com/SpikeChunsoft_e/status/1252650975644364800

The Steam pages are also up. I hope that we see Anonymous;Code someday too.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Aniplex, one of the major anime distributors in Japan, establishes a visual novel label, and will publish new novels from Liar-soft and Front Wing.

https://aniplex-exe.com/

EMtvkfKU4AAa8IV

Coming with English localization:

These things are out now, with demos. Suspiciously cheap for Japanese, non-doujin visual novels.

IIRC that Liar-soft thing is written by someone who wrote a novel some codexer admired in this thread.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Taimanin Asagi is knocking the doors of Steam again... as a free-to-play card game?

ss_40508c8ced991145e110c99cd44371928f9d87a0.600x338.jpg
ss_55bcc452b78728f297dbb3d4e2de9dd65e822d62.600x338.jpg

They didn't release the actual novels on Steam since the demo btw. Based on the number of reviews (83) on the demo, maybe they thought these novels won't sell on Steam anyway. Maybe they thought gaijins only like to pay for a sense of pride and accomplishment.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Just pirate Adabana honestly, since Liar-Suckers refuse to open up to the West.

Yup, that means that Adabana was removed from Western Steam and isn't available for Western customers, that's the error you're seeing above.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Heh, interesting. Looks like it's only not available in some parts of Europe. It's available in North America and other so-called "Western" regions. I wonder why. That's very peculiar region lock that one would consider an error on their part. But they never answer anything in the forums, as if they don't read the forums or something.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So uh, I played

YOU and ME and HER

You know, the game that Doki Doki Literature Club was "inspired by".

I have to say, it is definitely one of the weirdest VN:s out there.

The protagonist and both of the heroines are kinda kaku. The slice of life in the beginning is boring and trite. As generic schlock as you get.

It was quite painful to get to the "big twist". And to get to there you really, really have to go through some shit that generally you wouldn't (unless you are cuck degenerate who likes NTR).

Once the game starts fucking with you, there are a couple of funny moments. But the game really, really fucks with you. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of players won't ever get to the true ending.

Frankly, at the end I wanted to tell both of the heroines to fuck off. I mean, one is a giant psycho bitch and the other is the worst cockslut in the universe.

I'd be p. butthurt if I lived in Japan and paid $70 for this.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Another release from DMM Games/ShiraVN combo (that did Utawarerumono games on Steam). Horror visual novel written by Ryukishi07 of When They Cry series.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Is the uncensored version going to be released somewhere?

I'd assume this will be the only version.

They say this release has additional content from console version, but there's no info on whether content adjusted for ratings will be brought over or not. I don't know for sure but I guess that difference between the original PC and console version are pretty minor (unless you know better). (The original PC version was not "R-rated" novel to begin with.)

FWIW Steam page's content warning:

Contains explicit violence, blood, and gore, crude language, partial or veiled nudity, sexual themes, including allusions to sexual assault, suicide, and references to alcohol or drug use.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Chaos: Head Noah fan-translation and port is finally picking up again after essentially being rebooted earlier this year

CHAOS;HEAD NOAH - Progress Update #2

Oct 1, 2020

Hey guys! September showed up and kicked down the door last month, and quite a lot of people know that as the terrifying sound of imminent classes, coursework, and the many things life wants to throw at them with the start of the fall. With that, quite a few members of our team have been dragged against their will out from our patented Translation Jail (they definitely were in there of their own volition, trust us) back into the hell from whence they came. Every once in a while, we’ll see one of our essential workers crawl out from the depths and release a script or two, but in the end, The Void always takes precedence.

Despite life hitting us fast, we’ve still been doing the best we can to get some work done and on the table, complete with blood, sweat, tears, and other fluids. Back when our new team formed, we had a burst of progress due to quite a few factors meeting up nice and smoothly, like a cool swig of Dr P on a hot summer’s day (or a Skal if you’re feeling extra fired up). While we chugged along for those couple weeks, our progress then was not necessarily representative of our normal working speed, but we can assure you that progress is being made. Here, have these funny numbers so you can see for yourself.

Overall Totals — October 1st, 2020
Translation TLC Editing
Common route 7.57%
B route 100.00%
Nanami route 61.64%
Yua route 81.82%
Sena route 100.00%
Kozue route 100.00%
Ayase route 100.00%
Rimi route 62.69%
True end 14.29%
*: Note that Common route accounts for about two thirds of the game, and consists mostly of content that was in the original CHAOS;HEAD

**: Numbers highlighted in bold indicate that progress has been made in the past month.

Before we let you all go, we’ve got one more thing to tease you with. Last month, we showed you our hot, sensual menus, and now, let us slip into something more comfortable. Here’s a peek at gameplay, including delusion triggers in order for you to satisfy your wildest fantasies (or dreams, depending on how you’d translate it :^)).

We’ll have even more to show you later as our monkeys adorned with all flavors of programming socks keep up the hard work, so stay tuned!

No matter how hot the hellfire rages, we’re gonna keep working hard, for that is our choice. Whenever you smell the distinct stench of searing flesh flowing along with the wind, we hope you’ll be thinking of us.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
D3 Publisher re-releases some visual novel/escape puzzle thing from 2010 on Steam (and Switch). Sounds like Zero Escape but everyone is anime girls

ss_6ea27d78a94a3da4aadc8c5fe48bdb4c8d988550.600x338.jpg
ss_461898e66421b3864d3b10b1ef4369301fe994f4.600x338.jpg

Nostaljaded

Savant
同級生 リメイク (PC) [2021]
Classmate Remake

Based on 1999 WIN version, ENG to be released in late 2021.

6NCouyW.png

Understand why it's regarded as a dating sim eroge classic; not my genre if not for the fact that it's an élf game remake.

2021 remake compared to original 1992 DOS version:
+ Save anywhere with 100+ slots vs a single autosave (later versions have more save slots)
+ Overview map for fast travel
+ Easy mode option
~ Character current location shown on overview map
~ Important event flags shown on time schedule & can be triggered and time-skipped directly to event
~ Character current heart values & requirements
~ Dialog choices with positive/negative heart indicators​
+ Full voice (except main character) with decent VA
+ Better character portraits & CGs
+ Post-Epilogue for more complete closure

- A few events when triggered normally by exploration do not follow Easy mode's time schedule
- Minor visual bugs [shouldn't happen in a VN as would have been easily caught if game has gone through proper QA check]
- Dislike the intentional boobs enlargement (to appeal/sell more copies to those unaware of its illustrious origins)
ZMRraZM.png
seoYR3C.png

b4V69bD.png
KPQa12k.png

hUmFkps.png
uFxe8rr.png

aGnCc6A.png
ZFckIMl.png

j0fUDHk.png
yTDAn3x.png

IBonUiC.png
uNfKGKP.png

7NAG9vv.png
WYpwdAD.png

p9qzex4.png
REiJvIa.png

fpy07XP.png
ByFEOV4.png

9WcUz7f.png
TyD7nc0.png

K40uwCn.png
O8abMdg.png

Ze3qYAk.png
q8iOW1C.png

wMtpxoe.png
JhbQ1yJ.png

4uUuMZd.png
Nv1DaL7.png

Observant if able to spot the visual glitch near face in 1 of the remake portrait screenshot above (this bug occurs when game window size is at non-native resolution for that character at that location only).

6OQ4Iqm.png
IZi2iAh.png

Rgcxh1A.png
5uugBBb.png

IJlHX3L.png
q01oGKe.png

S5AZzBZ.png
BtWDBpK.png
TLDR: An ideal modern entry whether one is into lying through teeth sweet-talking/dating sims, no issues on Win 7.
P.S. Completing the remake reopens my void on élf's demise. :negative:

Addendum 210403:
2021 remake compared to 1999 Windows version:
+ More professionally-recorded new VAs with individual volume sliders
+ Easy mode option

~ Redesigned, recolored higher resolution (FHD) artwork

- Still prefer the more grounded boobs in DOS/WIN version

WEnSU3e.png
LAC1Pcc.png

FYENSYw.png
eWFeJL0.png

Z9umOgi.png
p3nuzAR.png

W0NGPzv.png
a0GyMUO.png

ix18Kqx.png
JgmFMlU.png

1VSU8VE.png
4OlvBci.png

2aBXBn1.png
HXKOt5J.png

FFqufVm.png
IzvvQN9.png

e8eHV1d.png
14Rv2yU.png

p7PWc2T.png
OsOrZUX.png

Spot the diff in the last CG, to know that artists back then (DOS version too) were doing good work.
If you know Jap, don't mind playing with a time schedule guide/prefer playing blind and have ample gaming time, get the ¥4,180 Windows version, instead of the ¥8,800 Remake.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
So i stumbled upon this. A properly codexian review to what is probably one of the single most important games in the genre. It is pretty indepth and worth watching if you are interested in the subject at hand.

It is such a shame the game itself never got a full translation, as im watching this review i find myself wanting to try this bit of gaming history.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So i stumbled upon this. A properly codexian review to what is probably one of the single most important games in the genre. It is pretty indepth and worth watching if you are interested in the subject at hand.

It is such a shame the game itself never got a full translation, as im watching this review i find myself wanting to try this bit of gaming history.

I like how you bring this up not days after DDS announced that he's almost finished with the SNES version.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Funny how the ashtray is gone. In the beginning of the 90s you could still smoke in the teachers' room.

Nostaljaded

Savant
Below may reinforce/soften one's position that left is better than right/right is better than left/nudge one off the fence.
Opinions can differ. :M

adRnTgk.png
olSReA7.png

NFSYwxQ.png
P9g8cUm.png

QZR8baB.png
Suvzu28.png

lnSQzmF.png
Ca39CXu.png

U7grweS.png
8nO7uOy.png

abnaxus,
Yup, like their hairstyles and clothing are tweaked to be more inline with current age (be it for better or worse).
Back then volume and curls were the rage.

Another thing I like about pre-handphone/smartphone era VNs:
No SMS/instant messaging UIs or dialogs (I assume will be more common for school settings).

As more often than not, they are annoying/excessive/distract the story flow. Catherine's implementation is fine though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom