Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Visual Novel Recomendation Thread

KafkaBot

Scholar
What VN is that?
<uses the same assets> REMASTERED!

Another castrated re-release, it doesn't even come close to the fanmade Realta Nua Ultimate Edition.
There is a small chance that this version will have a less clunky translation, which should allow modders to further improve the Ultimate Edition by adding that script to the package. I definitely wouldn't hold my breath, though, given how rushed Mahoyo's translation was.

I'm not dropping $40 on a VN I already read. If Nasu wanted my money then he should have gotten this out in the West over a decade ago, not waiting until long after Fate's peak popularity.

Elttharion

Learned
What VN is that?
<uses the same assets> REMASTERED!

Another castrated re-release, it doesn't even come close to the fanmade Realta Nua Ultimate Edition.
There is a small chance that this version will have a less clunky translation, which should allow modders to further improve the Ultimate Edition by adding that script to the package. I definitely wouldn't hold my breath, though, given how rushed Mahoyo's translation was.
Sankaku Renai

Lucumo

Educated
If Nasu wanted my money then he should have gotten this out in the West over a decade ago, not waiting until long after Fate's peak popularity.
Isn't their mobile game still really popular? Though, personally, I've lost interest over a decade ago when they started throwing out spin-off stuff left and right. Last things I bought off T-M were their 10th anniversary goodies (Blu-ray etc) in 2013. Don't think they released anything relevant after that.

catfood

AGAIN
Screenshot-20240413-215827.png

Screenshot-20240413-215912.png

Screenshot-20240413-215929.png

Elttharion

Learned

Also released on Kagura and Mangagamer. IIRC it was only on Johren for a while and they released it on Denpa last month.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I highly recommend both Spirit Hunter: Death Mark and NG(best played in that order). They have this extremely unique artstyle that really lends it self to the creepy atmosphere they are going for and on top of that they are very creative with the narrative and ghost designs. They are quite literary a league of their own and really the only serious downside is that they are technically part of a trilogy that has yet to conclude.
I got spirit hunter death mark for cheap few years ago and finally got to play it.

Honeslt i have always want this kind of horror games like this since i watched the anime "ghost story" years ago. It was normally dubbed in my country, unlike the wack american dub, but basically investigating and solving puzzles to exorcise ghosts in a certain ways to find who and how they came to be.

The puzzles can be trial and error sometimes but you absolutely are rewarded with tenacity and dilligence in investigating. The translation is a bit wonky sometimes but the story and characters are fun.

KafkaBot

Scholar
How good is Koikari? I almost bought it on JAST a while ago, but reviews for it are all over the place and most slice of life VNs tend to bore me to tears.

Won't lie, though, those screenshots of yours are making me want to open my wallet.

catfood

AGAIN
How good is Koikari? I almost bought it on JAST a while ago, but reviews for it are all over the place and most slice of life VNs tend to bore me to tears.

Won't lie, though, those screenshots of yours are making me want to open my wallet.
It's a moege. If you don't like them then this one won't change your opinion about them. I like them a lot because they are very relaxing.

KafkaBot

Scholar

It's a moege. If you don't like them then this one won't change your opinion about them. I like them a lot because they are very relaxing.
I do like some of them. Sanoba Witch entertained me from beginning to end thanks to its competent writing, even though I could only enjoy it when I was in the right mood (as in, I wanted to relax and turn my brain off for a while).

Moeges that are solely about providing fluff and nothing else bore me, though. This one seems to be on the funnier end, however, which is why I'm considering it. Would you say the game is worth it for its comedy?

catfood

AGAIN

I do like some of them. Sanoba Witch entertained me from beginning to end thanks to its competent writing, even though I could only enjoy it when I was in the right mood (as in, I wanted to relax and turn my brain off for a while).

Moeges that are solely about providing fluff and nothing else bore me, though. This one seems to be on the funnier end, however, which is why I'm considering it. Would you say the game is worth it for its comedy?
I haven't finished this one yet so I can't grade it just yet. I have only just finished the common route and started one of the girl's route. I would say that the one thing this VN does well is that you have a money grubbing tsundere-ish protagonist, hence the girls are usually the butt end of the jokes. Comedy is very subjective and you will probably agree that japanese comedy is sometimes very difficult to get across to a western audience. The game does have some funny moments though so I'd say it's worth it.

However if you are looking for a comedy VN specifically then I recommend Sankaku Renai also made by the same studio. That one is a bit more generic but the comedy was always on point, partly due to the very loose translation, though without too much current year cringe (I think there was once a joke about impeachment or something but that was about it). It's one of those cases where not sticking to a literal translation actually helped the end product.

KafkaBot

Scholar
Thanks!
I would say that the one thing this VN does well is that you have a money grubbing tsundere-ish protagonist, hence the girls are usually the butt end of the jokes. Comedy is very subjective and you will probably agree that japanese comedy is sometimes very difficult to get across to a western audience.
Definitely. I tend to jive well with japanese humor, but it does sometimes become a bit formulaic for my tastes (especially with how overused Manzai dynamics tend to be). That said, the protagonist being a money grubber seems incredibly refreshing. Guess I'll pirate the thing so I can try it out in lieu of a demo; if I enjoy it, into my JAST account it goes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom