Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Visual Novel Recomendation Thread

Lucumo

Educated
This VN has been in mind for quite a while, and seeing so little discussion of it on the web despite having a fan translation for the PSP port for years is quite annoying.
That's because no one cares about console VNs.
Some console-exclusive or console-first VNs are amazing - 13 sentinels, Hotel Dusk and Ace Attorney all come to mind; the Tsukihime remake is also a console exclusive for now. True enough, they generally do receive much less attention from players (with some notable exceptions, such as the ones I mentioned), but there's quite a few important titles in the console space.
13 Sentinels is no VN though. And the others are their own style, while what Thorakitai mentioned is more in line with PC VNs. And who cares about the Tsukihime remake? It looks absolutely garbage, just like when the art was revealed many years ago. And I say that as a big Tsukihime fan who owns all three games (even all the Melty Blood ones too).

The Jester

Cipher
"It gets good after 200 hours trust me bro"
300px-Baldr_Sky_cover.jpg

The Jester

Cipher
Alright, buckle up my fellow VN connoisseurs, because "Robotic;Notes Elite" is like strapping yourself into a rollercoaster built by a drunk engineer.
This is the third act from the Science Adventure series, and it's about as coherent as a fever dream.

Plot: More Twists than a Pretzel​

The plot in this one meanders like a drunkard at 2 AM. The pacing is a schizophrenic mess, swinging wildly from mind-numbingly slow to breakneck fast with no warning.
95% of story is an excruciatingly boring slice of life. You spend countless hours slogging through mundane school activities, trivial banter, and lifeless dialogue that does little to advance the plot or develop the characters. It’s a snooze fest of epic proportions, making you question why you’re subjecting yourself to this tedium when you could be doing literally anything else.
Characters and plot points pop up out of nowhere like those annoying whack-a-moles, and just as you're about to get invested, they're yanked away. The story attempts to throw curveballs, but they end up being more like soggy noodles flung at a wall—predictable and ultimately limp. Every now and then, it brushes against greatness, only to plunge back into the depths of mediocrity.

One of the most jarring aspects of "Robotic;Notes Elite" is its apparent target audience. Unlike the more mature and darker themes of "Chaos;Head" and "Steins;Gate," this entry feels like it's aimed at a younger crowd. The tone is lighter, the stakes feel lower, and the characters' antics are more juvenile. It’s as if the developers decided to trade in the series’ trademark intensity for a Saturday morning cartoon vibe.

Characters: A Parade of Anime Tropes​

The character roster is a veritable bingo card of anime stereotypes. Kaito Yashio, our protagonist, is the epitome of apathy. His lack of enthusiasm is so infectious, it’ll make you wonder why you’re even playing. Then there's Akiho Senomiya, the peppy, robot-obsessed foil. Her relentless cheerfulness is endearing for all of five minutes before it becomes as grating as nails on a chalkboard.

The rest of the cast? Oh, you’ve got the whole circus here: the shy girl, the tsundere, the mysterious brooding guy. Their development is as deep as a kiddie pool, and their interactions have all the chemistry of oil and water. You can practically hear the writers checking off boxes on their trope list.

Visuals and Audio: THE HORROR​

The use of PS2-style graphics instead of 2D sprites is utterly retarded. The characters move with all the grace of marionettes controlled by a blind puppeteer, landing squarely in the uncanny valley. I don't know why they chose this route when 2D sprites could have given the game a much-needed sense of charm and personality.

The music? Well, it exists. It does the job without standing out, like a background extra in a bad movie. The voice acting is a mixed bag, ranging from passable to cringeworthy. Some lines sound like they were delivered at gunpoint, adding an unintended layer of comedy to the proceedings.

Choices: Press X to Question Life Choices​

Let’s talk choices, if you can call it that. Occasionally, you make a choice that slightly nudges the story in a different direction, but these moments are rarer than a coherent plot twist.

The much-touted “Twipo” and “IRUO” systems are supposed to add interactivity, but they’re about as engaging as watching paint dry. They’re gimmicks, plain and simple, offering the illusion of choice without any real impact.

The route system is another colossal waste of time. There is no branching paths, the story is stubbornly linear. Worse yet, the routes are supposed to be read in a predetermined order, so if you go in blind without a guide, you can spoil yourself and ruin any semblance of narrative coherence.

Final Verdict: A Lesson in Disappointment​

"Robotic;Notes Elite" is a cautionary tale in wasted potential. For every moment of genuine intrigue, there are hours of dull dialogue and uninspired storytelling. It’s like being promised a gourmet meal and being served stale bread instead.

The game is a test of endurance more than anything. If you’re a die-hard fan of the series or have an unhealthy obsession with giant robots, you might find some redeeming qualities here. For everyone else, steer clear.

Rating: 4/10 – Like watching a clown car crash in slow motion. Fascinatingly awful.

MurkrLurkr

Learned
Acknowledged... It's not a catalog of Japoo waifus as much as a list of good VN's that I recommend to everyone who wants to delve deeper into the genre :love:

MurkrLurkr

Learned
Considering it's one of the first visual novels I've read in its entirety, with its left-field humor and freaky mixture of mecha and lovecraftian ethos, it's very fond and memorable to me, although I understand the shock it causes as someone's best-of choice... Too many of the same encounters with To Mega Therion's agents that don't add to the story dynamic is something that hinders a smooth read, but I persevered and pushed through and was rewarded with sex with the Book :P

The Jester

Cipher
Considering it's one of the first visual novels I've read in its entirety, with its left-field humor and freaky mixture of mecha and lovecraftian ethos, it's very fond and memorable to me, although I understand the shock it causes as someone's best-of choice... Too many of the same encounters with To Mega Therion's agents that don't add to the story dynamic is something that hinders a smooth read, but I persevered and pushed through and was rewarded with sex with the Book :P
The only thing that motivated me to push through the entirety of the Demonbane was Master Therion. Such a waste that he was trapped in a mediocre VN.

MurkrLurkr

Learned
To each their own, but the time and leaked vitality sacrificed on the violet altar of Animu Sekkusu is oft hard to forget...

KafkaBot

Scholar
White Album 2 is the greatest soap opera ever written.

I generally hate soap operas, but White Album 2 entranced me from beginning to end.

Thorakitai

Learned
Recommend me some VN with pure blooded Japanese girls, non of that rainbow hair shit.
Amagami

I can honestly say that every girl is a best girl no matter who you choose and the artstyle of the girls' character designs I find them very appealing in a way I can't exactly explain.

The Anime Adaptation is also very good and somehow gives each a girl the full spotlight by giving 4 episodes then the plot resets when a new girl gets her turn.

There's an English patch for both the PSP and PS2 ports but is split for into 3 seperate patches for two girls due to the game crashing when the translators tried patching the game in full.

catfood

AGAIN

I generally hate soap operas, but White Album 2 entranced me from beginning to end.
Same here. I was obsessed with it for a long time. Still am to some extent. The anime adaptation is also really good. It only adapts the first chapter, so my advice to The Jester would be to try out the anime first and if you like the story and characters to then read the VN as well. Otherwise the VN is like 80-100 hours long so it's better to "demo" it with the help of the anime first rather than dive right into it and realize half-way through that you don't like it.

KafkaBot

Scholar

Same here. I was obsessed with it for a long time. Still am to some extent. The anime adaptation is also really good. It only adapts the first chapter, so my advice to The Jester would be to try out the anime first and if you like the story and characters to then read the VN as well. Otherwise the VN is like 80-100 hours long so it's better to "demo" it with the help of the anime first rather than dive right into it and realize half-way through that you don't like it.
I agree. If he is the kind of person who doesn't enjoy experiencing the same plot beats twice, though, I'd say he'd be better off playing through the Introductory Chapter, which is quite short for a VN (10 hours long, more or less) and will allow him to know quite well if he wants to read the rest. The anime is quite similar to IC, but they are different enough that one should read the VN from the beginning even if they have watched the anime and I've seen some people give up because they don't want to experience that story again, even if it's now in text form.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom