Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Visual Novel Recomendation Thread

Puukko

Arcane
Some hours into the OG Yu-no, I mostly play it in chunks late at night to unwind.

+ good art for the most part, very soulful. Not the most consistent, characters can look quite different depending on the angle.
+ bangin' OST, though used sparingly so far.
+ interesting story hook, ties into the 'gameplay' well. Good luck navigating this game without a guide though, if you don't want to miss the majority of content.
+ babes :bounce: not set on best girl yet, but Mio may just win me over with her haughty princess personality. How she manages to develop feelings for the MC is beyond me.

~ the daftest, horniest MC I've ever seen. Everything needs to be run by him several times before he connects the most obvious of dots. I get that this is to push responsibility on the player, and a horny teenager is what most adult guys can relate to at least to some degree, but he's still really aggressively dumb. Makes funny comments when ogling at women at least.

- they really do recycle areas a lot. I've lost count how many times I've done the home-school-beach-company route.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

remaster is meh

I wished they would fully remake it like Tsukihime, on the other hand I guess this is a way to get the "definitive" English translation. But we don't even know if the far side of Tsuki Remake will even release before Nasu or Takeuchi is dead

KafkaBot

Scholar
The Ultimate Edition is great for combining everything into one package, but TakaJun's translation is rough. Not exactly inaccurate, but it is wooden, clunky and reads like an amateur novel. If the official release's translation is at least passable (and it would be quite a feat for it to be worse than TakaJun's version), the ideal situation would be for fans to port it over to the Ultimate Edition (while keeping his work for the scenes that are exclusive to the original or, ideally, retranslating them in full).

Don't get me wrong, the guy is great for translating so many classics in a minimally adequate manner (he also worked on the original English versions of Sengoku Rance and Swan Song), but he was just an amateur hobbyist and it shows.

KafkaBot

Scholar
reads like an amateur novel.
Great, because it is an amateur novel.
TakaJun's translation is rough
citation needed
Have you ever read the original Fate/Stay Night? Nasu is actually quite good at weaving prose and makes tons of puns. The puns are essentially untranslatable, sadly, but F/SN flows beautifully and that could easily be rendered in English. Sadly, TakaJun is (was?) not a good writer. He's also overly literal at points, translating things with no regard for context.

That's not to say that his translation of F/SN is wrong, but it definitely makes the text much less beautiful and more amateurish than it actually is.

dutchwench

Novice
Kinoko Nasu is far from being my favorite writer but damn he has some wonderful prose. Tsukihime Remake is a joy to read and Mahoyo is like legit novel territory. It's very unfortunate to see how his reputation in the West as a writer is basically nonexistent due to some exceptionally poor choices made by MirrorMoon.
For what it's worth, Nasu was published in a literary magazine when he only had Kara no Kyoukai, Tsukihime, and FSN behind his back. That same magazine published plenty of other VN writers like Ryukishi, but also had tons of legit writers both involved and published, like the mystery writer Natsuhiko Kyougoku and many recipients of the literary Mephisto award. Nasu's Reality Marble is just too strong.

Kuruwin

Novice
Suda's Moonlight Syndrome is currently being fan translated.

EDIT: Supposedly it's already done, but just not out yet.

Last edited:

dutchwench

Novice
Fate Stay/Night is finally out on Steam.
If you still want to give Nasu your money (that he clearly does not need) for a game that's about to hit legal drinking age, you might want to wait a bit. The wonderful people working on the game misplaced some ones and zeroes and now random sprites show up in scenes where they clearly shouldn't be (like late HF Sakura Matou showing up at the start). At least they're patching it though: the Switch version is confirmed to be fixed, while Steam peons get a message they rushed out literally a few minutes ago that says "we know stuff is wrong, we're fixing it".
Some people on the game hub are reporting that changing locale to Japanese fixes the bug, but you really shouldn't have to be doing this in 2024 unless you're running software meant for the Japanese region.

Arthandas

Prophet
Fate Stay/Night is finally out on Steam.
If you still want to give Nasu your money (that he clearly does not need) for a game that's about to hit legal drinking age, you might want to wait a bit. The wonderful people working on the game misplaced some ones and zeroes and now random sprites show up in scenes where they clearly shouldn't be (like late HF Sakura Matou showing up at the start). At least they're patching it though: the Switch version is confirmed to be fixed, while Steam peons get a message they rushed out literally a few minutes ago that says "we know stuff is wrong, we're fixing it".
Some people on the game hub are reporting that changing locale to Japanese fixes the bug, but you really shouldn't have to be doing this in 2024 unless you're running software meant for the Japanese region.

Nasu hates westerners so much he purposely fucked the game's release to troll foreigners.
Well, maybe it's really expensive, but at least nothing was actually remastered and the game doesn't work.

Elttharion

Learned
ohhh-boy-looks-like-the-steam-version-of-fate-stay-night-v0-3xfzgcqf4ahd1.png

I couldn't recommend Utawarerumono enough

Seconded. The story is very uneven (first game peaks with the first arc and then the invasion arc, rest is meh), second game's story doesn't become engaging until the last few hours, the beginning of the third game is very engaging and then the last act is infuriating), and the gameplay is serviceable at best, but the characters are pleasant, there are funny moments, it is fully voice acted, there is nice music (RIP Michio Kinugasa), and the art is good.

u0JZuGi.jpeg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom