Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Visual Novel Recomendation Thread

Nomad_Blizz

Arcane
I actually finished Full Metal Daemon Muramasa recently, one of the best VN I ever read. The characters, philosophy, fight scenes and techniques, music...I really think it's one of the best this medium has to offer. I even liked how they fool you in the beginning who's the actual protagonist in this VN, and then when it changes it reminds you again this is not a story about heroes.

Where there are demons, I slay them
Where there are saints, I slay them

Mine is the way of the sword.

It sounds better in Japanese of course. It would definitely be even more enjoyable for fluent and native speakers of Japanese. There's many word plays that do not translate well, and there are some typos in the game unfortunately.

I think my favorite part of the game was when they go back centuries and show the Emishi characters (the three Muramasa smiths) fighting a desperate war and losing. That's when they come up with this idea of taking the life of one who you love when you take the life of one you hate or must fight. Meaning no killing is ever justified. This theme comes up again and again leaving the MC battered and haunted every time he kills. Very interesting read and I can see why it is so highly regarded.

Last edited:

Elttharion

Learned
I finished Chaos;Head Noah last week. Overall I enjoyed the game and think its worth playing but be advised that the main character is probably one of the most unlikable protagonists I ever saw in a piece of media.

He is insufferable for 90% of the game and only really improves in the last couple of chapters.

Personally I wouldnt recommend it as a introduction to the genre. Grab it if you are a fan of steins;gate and other games from the series. :3.5/5:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
My biggest problem with VNs is the endless slice of life garbage they cram into them, or sex scenes added only because the publisher (correctly) reasoned that they would sell more that way.

I'm currently reading Higurashi and just began chapter 2. Just like Umineko (which is incredible) it has endless exposition and filler - but because of the unsettling mood and the way the writer drops hints about the mystery even in the most mundane scenes it's still engaging.

After that I'll give SubaHibi and Fata Morgana a try.

But I need to reiterate, I wish every VN was just Saya no Uta. Short, to the point, no wasted scenes. I'm too old to care about spending time with "cute girls" and experiencing "slice of life" scenes. I don't care about that. I just don't care.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
That's fair. Don't take it as criticism in any way. They're just not for me but that doesn't make your taste or preference less valid.

I'm curious though, what do you get out of it? I've read people like them because it makes them feel closer to the characters or helps flesh them out. But personally I think you can do that with far less text and fewer events.

Lucumo

Educated
But I need to reiterate, I wish every VN was just Saya no Uta. Short, to the point, no wasted scenes. I'm too old to care about spending time with "cute girls" and experiencing "slice of life" scenes. I don't care about that. I just don't care.
Eh, that makes no sense. There are enough VNs to go around, so there is generally enough for everyone. (Of course, there is tons of SoL stuff but even more fetish nonsense which I personally dislike.)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
No, it's that often even the horror or sci-fi ones add a lot of SoL, is what I mean. It's like they're paid by word count!

See, the idea is that by juxtaposing SoL or social scenes, the horror or mystery hits harder, and this formula is quite common. I think it's called KEY? Because it's so common, I don't know many VNs that don't follow it.

Last edited:

Lucumo

Educated
No, it's that often even the horror or sci-fi ones add a lot of SoL, is what I mean. It's like they're paid by word count!
But...they are (or often are).

As for those specific genres...it depends on the type of company, I guess.

Sarathiour

Cipher

See, the idea is that by juxtaposing SoL or social scenes, the horror or mystery hits harder, and this formula is quite common. I think it's called KEY? Because it's so common, I don't know many VNs that don't follow it.
I mean, that's the basic of basic as far as writing is concerned. Give breathing room between high intensity time and use it to develop the setting and the characters, and capitalize on the heavy contrast when something fantastic/horrific happened.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
That's not correct. I mean, obviously there's rising and falling tension, but I've noticed that in many of these games, 90% of the content could be cut out. I suppose this is because Japanese is a very contextual language, or maybe the Nips just really love uninteresting everyday scenarios so they can relive their childhood.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm curious though, what do you get out of it? I've read people like them because it makes them feel closer to the characters or helps flesh them out. But personally I think you can do that with far less text and fewer events.

Hmm not completely sure either. You can arguably say that it is just genre convention, but even before reading VN, when I was only reading manga/watch anime I've always enjoyed those omake or "beach/hotspring/winter" episode stuff where nothing basically happens in the plot and is just the cast hanging out. I guess you can say helping fleshing them out is one, but I just really enjoy the chill downtime of everyday life in these media. That it serve no plot whatsoever or not even developing character is kinda the point. It's just characters that I like, chilling around.

That being said for certain VN like Higurashi, etc, especially those that is handling the contrast of the "plot" vs daily life, these sections are actually serving as narrative tools. These games would be poorer without it as the heavy mood whiplash, starting small and getting bigger is the point.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Thank you for not taking offense and your response. I agree that they serve a purpose in things like Higurashi. And it was cool to see your perspective on it. As you can probably guess I'm your opposite and just skip the beach / onsen / matsuri episodes.

I played Utawarerumono because I wanted a story about war in feudal fantasy Japan. The rampant SoL scenes spread across that 180 hour long trilogy wasted my time. I could stand one or two but then they kept coming. I played Aselia: the Spirit of Eternity Sword because I was promised a gritty fantasy war story where you get to conquer other nations. And then I get stuck in dozens of hours of slice of life scenes. If I wanted SoL, I would watch a specifically SoL show. If I am playing a game about war (or anything that isn't SoL), don't waste my time with SoL scenes.

Lucumo

Educated
Why did you play anything past the first (original) Utawarerumono in the first place? It's your own fault.

Why did you play anything past the first (original) Utawarerumono in the first place?

I was told that the duology was really good, and I did like certain parts of the first game (the grounded intro arc, and then the war with the bunny empress, also the red goo reveal) so I was hoping that the duology would be worth it.

catfood

AGAIN
Captur-de-ecran-din-2023-01-25-17-44-54.png

Elttharion

Learned
I just started reading Senren Banka, only a couple hours into the game and its pretty fun so far.

Also gotta love these settings.

settings.png

:shredder:

lol.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom