Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Voidspire Tactics

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Anyway, I thought it was funny to play a tactical jRPG with KB+M, inventory autism, and creating a party of 4 blank slate chars. There is more c than j in this RPG.
Yep. The only J thing about this series is the graphics, and the thread was in General RPG for months if not years until something got into Infi and he moved it here. And now he's too stubborn to renege on that.

And the fact that combat and progression systems are directly lifted and innovated upon from the renowned JRPG/SRPG series Final Fantasy Tactics. Game fits in both forums really.

V_K

Arcane
And the fact that combat and progression systems are directly lifted and innovated upon from the renowned JRPG/SRPG series Final Fantasy Tactics. Game fits in both forums really.
Maybe, but anyway being in JRPG subforum hurts the series' exposure - there are quite a few folks here who only ever read General RPG, while the opposite is not true to my knowledge.

HansDampf

Arcane
Intense is pretty intense. No mistakes allowed. I haven't skilled my characters optimally, and I'm taking too much damage. Aeshra and Brightfang were particularly nasty. Any unbuffed character is killed in one hit. And I was surprised that something cheap like Knockout would work against them.

tP9efec.png
:timetoburn:

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Intense is pretty intense. No mistakes allowed. I haven't skilled my characters optimally, and I'm taking too much damage. Aeshra and Brightfang were particularly nasty. Any unbuffed character is killed in one hit. And I was surprised that something cheap like Knockout would work against them.

:timetoburn:

That nice chunk of Laser behind her will surely make things easier :)

HansDampf

Arcane
And finished.
Things got much easier after the Brightfang fight. I did the eastern aerstone in the mountain area last, and the fights there were almost trivial, even the ambush after getting the stone. Feels as if I did things in the wrong order.
And then I turned my Sharpshooter into a Spellarchon... :positive:
That was the best decision I've made in the entire game. Stun, chill, and push enemies with arrows (and later, rifles)? That should be illegal.
I wish I could have developed at least one Enchanter, Shiftcloak, or Mechanist, but they didn't fit well with my chars at that point. Something to look forward to in Ruin mode, then. Mechanist looks pretty unique anyway. I can't see how this would play out exactly. You have to spend one turn to throw a turret, then activate it next turn? Surely the AI would just get out of range.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You have to spend one turn to throw a turret, then activate it next turn? Surely the AI would just get out of range.
It fires automagically, activating it just turns it 90 degrees. Yes, that's spectacularly useless, just like the turret itself after its first turn, because the AI does indeed move out of range. The mechanist blows.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
And finished.
Things got much easier after the Brightfang fight. I did the eastern aerstone in the mountain area last, and the fights there were almost trivial, even the ambush after getting the stone. Feels as if I did things in the wrong order.
And then I turned my Sharpshooter into a Spellarchon... :positive:
That was the best decision I've made in the entire game. Stun, chill, and push enemies with arrows (and later, rifles)? That should be illegal.
I wish I could have developed at least one Enchanter, Shiftcloak, or Mechanist, but they didn't fit well with my chars at that point. Something to look forward to in Ruin mode, then. Mechanist looks pretty unique anyway. I can't see how this would play out exactly. You have to spend one turn to throw a turret, then activate it next turn? Surely the AI would just get out of range.

Gz! had the same experience, faced Brightfang rather early and it was all smooth sailing from there on out.
I used a mechanicst do decent success actually, the trick is to forget the turret. Its the worst part of the kit and only good in very specific siutations (you are more than 20 time units faster than your enemy so you deploy and it can shoot once before the enemy gets a turn. Incredibly niche)
Mechanist is good for the grenades. They trigger upon taking electrical damage. Also there is a passive skill that makes ranged attacks activate grenades on adjacent tiles. Combo your turns by firs throwing grenades into enemy formations, then fry it with a gatekeepter thunderstorm before they can react for massive damage. Also healing grenades are just good in general even if they take 2 turns to activate usually since aoe healing is rahter rare and has lower numbers usually.
Also portable wall is not awfull as an ability. You can lock out some fighters for a few turns in certain fights.
Overall mechanist makes for a decent secondary kit in my experience. There are better, there are worse. Its very labor intensive for the mediocre payout tho.

HansDampf

Arcane
Also portable wall is not awfull as an ability. You can lock out some fighters for a few turns in certain fights.

Is it the same as the Sage's barrier spell? That was very useful against spiders and wyrms.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron

Is it the same as the Sage's barrier spell? That was very useful against spiders and wyrms.

It works a little differently, it deploys from you in a straight line, like a lightning bolt spell. The individual tiles can be attacked and destroyed.
Its again rather situational as you cant block any enemies on an open plain, and its a lot better when your Mechanist is a melee fighter since you are more likely to get a better angle to wall.
Main selling point are the grenades but i used the wall more often than the turret. Especially as the wall gets 1 tile longer when upgraded each time.

Artyoan

Arbiter
Just got done with it. Excellent game. Took 28 hours. Obviously the battle system and FFT-inspired class system is the meat of the game and there is enough options there to feel like it could use some more area content. Thats a minor complaint seeing as its at a cheap price point. Environmental exploration was great. Once I knew what to look for with shovels and pickaxes I went back to explore previous areas. Quite a few secrets, items, areas, and optional bosses. I'm sure I'll get Alvora Tactics and Horizon's Gate at some point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom