Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

War Thunder : WoP - simmers wet dream

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Can't believe they actualy made a floppy dick cannon shooting potatoes, can't unsee.

Luka-boy

Arcane
So update 1.70 is out. It adds a bunch of new air and ground vehicles and some new maps.

The most interesting addition is probably the Sherman Calliope:
It's the game's first rocket-equipped ground vehicle. It's tall, it's kinda slow and at long range the rockets aren't very accurate. Yet after a couple of test drives I noticed that a direct impact by a rocket usually one-shots most tanks it'll face and, considering it carries sixty and they can be rapid-fired without pause, I get the feeling that if a Calliope manages to assault an enemy position at close range unnoticed it could easily destroy all defenders in a matter of seconds.

The improved damage model and emergency landings for planes are also pretty neat.

Levenmouth

Cipher
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
The 20mms definitely became significantly more effective. I flew the Chronicle event today and the J2M3s armament shreds bombers almost instantaneously.
I am not entirely sure how well this whole new materials engine works though. I recently flew the USMC Corsair and set an A6M2 on fire just to see the fire go out. Same match: set another A6M2 on fire, it goes out as well. I was probably a coincidence, but this sort of thing almost never happen with the A6M2 anyway. Flammable materials, no self-sealing tanks. As far as I am aware, they were quite notorious for turning into flying torches.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I stopped playing this unless they add a arena style mode like aces high or battleground europe with 100+ people playing.

Luka-boy

Arcane
I decided to check out the current "Russian Planes team vs German Self-Propelled Anti-Air team" event.
aces2015-05-2815-32-0ijofn.jpg

It's my first time in this kind of match and it's so dumb I can't help but have fun. Half of the time you're seeing SPAAs in open ground running around like headless chickens until someone drops a big bomb on them or planes trying to do a low level hit and run in the village only to crash spectacularly against some building :lol:

But when bombers aren't retarded and the SPAAs use buildings to take cover it's pretty enjoyable, since the AI tanks holding the ground capture point tend to be destroyed between halfway and 2/3 into the match and then, if no team is losing badly, it becomes quite tense as the SPAAs struggle to keep the ground capture point under their control while keeping the skies clear so the planes don't control the aerial capture point, all while the planes have to plan their runs even better to maximize efficiency, either destroying any SPAA capping, or managing to clear the area enough to be able to safely remain above the village long enough to cap themselves.

That said, the German team seems to have a tendency to get fucked pretty badly unless they have at least a few Wirbelwinde.

Luka-boy

Arcane
I think so. There were at least two times when I successfully ran for cover and used buildings to block bullets from planes strafing me, and a couple of times when bombs big enough to leave a decently deep crater fell on the other side of a small house I often used for cover during the first stage of most battles and I didn't receive any damage. So I didn't run into that kind of bug in any of the battles I participated in during that event.

Though I mostly remained in the NW quadrant of the village (the event always used the Poland map for the record), so I don't know if every building there was working as intended, or if they do in every map. After all, there's stuff like this still happening:

So if somebody tells me some buildings are still bugged when it comes to collisions etc. I wouldn't be surprised.

Renegen

Arcane
I picked this game up since it looked like one of the best F2P games on Steam, pretty fun so far. So far it seemed pretty arcadey, but reading some guides I saw that there's quite a bit of skill actually in using every aircraft's strength. And the game has crazy grind though, that much is obvious so I need to ask everyone what's the best role I should specialize in. I'm thinking of sticking to Japan/Germany, the Japanese fighters are maneuverable but eh, I'm really digging the Ki-45 heavy fighter however, is that a good line to go down in? For Germany I mainly toyed around with the Stukas, bombing ground vehicles sadly doesn't give nearly as much RP.

Any good ways to earn gold too? those premium planes are much better at grinding...

Luka-boy

Arcane
Can't help you much with planes I'm afraid. I only play with ground forces (and later naval) because every time I try planes I'm always feel like I'd rather play IL-2 1946.

Though playing Realistic Battles, if you haven't checked them already, should help with the arcadey feeling since the aircrafts' flight models work in a more authentic way where their individual characteristics matter much more. In Arcade Battles you have most planes flying at higher speeds and doing crazy maneuvering that they shouldn't be even close to be able to pull off. There's also the Simulator Battles that feel like a proper flight sim, but the devs clearly hate that game mode because it's too niche and keep removing features from it, to the point that nowadays it's only available as events with pre-defined conditions.

As for earning Golden Eagles, you can try with the Gold Battle Wagers that sometimes drop. Seems to me like the most reliable in-game way after you get the Golden Eagles for completing the tutorials. Other than that you can try winning tournamens, getting friends to play the game, waiting for code giveaways in the official website/forums or installing some smartphone app that generates GE though I don't know how that last one works exactly. I can't remember other ways of getting Golden Eagles without spending money right now.

Destroid

Arcane
Renegen All the trees have great fighters and bad fighters, it also varies considerably by game mode. For the germans the FW-190s are generally the better fighters. Early highlights for the Japanese tree are the Ki-45, A6Ms up to the A6M3 and the Ki-43s. These planes are also polar opposites, the FW series are fast and can't turn while the Japanese fighters generally have low top speeds and the best turning ability out of any planes they will see.

The toughest part of the grind is unlocking all the parts for the plane as with stock parts some planes are missing 25% or more of their engine power and their guns hardly do anything, so you want to get the cannon belts upgraded first and select the belt with as much HEI/HEF as you can. It's ok in early tiers but in tier 4 and later it can take dozens of games before the plane is performing as it should.

Renegen

Arcane
Yeah I love my Ki-45, that thing is a beast and I regularly get several kills. I recently unlocked more heavy fighters such as the BF-110 and boy does it turn slowly, a worse plane IMO but it does have bombing capabilities. Problem with the Japanese heavy fighter line is that it peters out in early tier 3, so I've decided to invest in German heavy fighters instead along with the Stukas.

Luka-boy

Arcane
This sounds like it could be a fun mode for pilots:
[Development] Enduring Confrontation
game_modes.jpg

Pilots! Especially for those of you who have yearned for long and dynamic air battles, we are pleased to announce that we are developing a new game mode for update 1.51 "Cold Steel" that will allow you to play for several hours, allowing an unlimited number of revivals. In this game mode, players can connect to the battle at any time (except for game sessions that have ended). In this game mode, there are specific objectives that have been created, and players will have multiple tasks that they will need to complete: for fighters - to destroy all enemy aircraft; for attackers - to destroy all enemy AAA; for bombers - to bomb enemy strategic targets. As well as this, we are developing more combat missions and creating additional tactical situations., which will become available to players from time to time.

The more a team destroys enemy aircraft and ground targets, captures strategic areas, and completes other additional tasks, the more points that team will receive, hence drawing them closer to victory.

Players that first join one of these battles must start out by using lower tiered aircraft for their team. More powerful aircraft will be available after some time. For successful actions during the battle, this time will be reduced; in other words, to be able to fight with more powerful vehicles, you must first show that you are useful for your team on lower tiered or "wicked/poor" aircraft. Higher tiered vehicles will be available after some time. After flying with an aircraft, vehicles of this type and levels will be locked for some time (so the player must change the type or level of their intended vehicle, as opposed to using the same thing again and again).

• Joining one of these battles will be possible at any time, except for the last 5 minutes before the mission ends.

• Players who are not active (not joining in the battle for longer than 60 seconds) will be removed from the game session.
The first players who can enjoy the new game mode "Endless sessions", will be those who play Realistic and Simulator Battles in the Tab "Events". We are looking for your feedback, which is going to be crucial for the development of this game mode.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Yeah, provided that they will give you proper rewards for such mode. Mode alone will get old VERY fast, just like "races" they were so proud about.
Knowing Gaijin for few years now, I have very low hopes.

Destroid

Arcane
Sounds like a great mode to club lower tier planes in. I hope they use this as a way to have somewhat balanced battles in which aircraft of varying performance but from the same historical era can participate.

Luka-boy

Arcane
The current event where Tier 1 and 2 American light tanks (up to the M22 Locust) face each other is pretty fun. Since it's Arcade battles only, these light and very fast tanks handle almost like cars and it's also very easy to kill or get killed due to the aiming aids and how the 37mm gun all these tanks have can easily penetrate this paper armor.

1wbph9.jpg

Not usually what I'm looking for, but it's pretty nice for a quick romp between more serious battles.

Renegen

Arcane
Endurance mode sounds stupid, already the FFA of Arcade is to much to bear and there's not much interesting matchmaking. I can forsee a day when they have 1 long continuous game for the 30 people that still play this...

Luka-boy

Arcane
New big update:
Update 1.51 - "Cold Steel"
New Vehicles
Changes in Vehicle Models
  • For all vehicles of the "Panther" series, and self-propelled guns, external screens on the lower part of each vehicle have been added and accounted for in the damage model;
  • Multiple tweaks and fixes to the shape and thickness of armour elements on several vehicles;
  • Fixed the number of crew members displayed for the KV-85, changing from 5 to 4;
  • Armour for the Yak-7B has been fixed (removed nonexistent armoured glass);
  • Fixed uploading custom camouflages for the Hurricane Mk.I/L;
  • Fixed uploading custom camouflages for the Me 262A-1/U4;
  • Fixed the display of offensive weaponry damage model for Hs 129B-2;
  • Added missing armour for the He 111H-16;
  • Fixed the display of offensive weaponry for BB-1 aircraft and SU-2 lineup.
New Locations and Missions
  • Added event in the Enduring Confrontation game mode (JiP). The new game mode will start with limited combat missions. We will regularly supplement these missions with new tasks and continue to improve the mechanics. Stay tuned!
  • Finland - A new winter location for mixed battles (modes: domination, battle, conquest);
  • New aircraft Arcade missions have been added:
    • Apple Gardens (Ground Strike);
    • Approaches to Moscow (Ground Strike);
    • Khalkhyn Gol (Ground Strike);
    • Saipan (Ground Strike);
    • Gorge (Front Line);
    • Foothills (Front Line).
  • New aircraft Realistic missions have been added:
    • Korsun (Front Line);
    • Mozdok (Front Line).
Changes in Locations and Missions
  • Krymsk: Removed known unfair vantage points. Some areas have been slightly flattened;
  • Jungle: Removed known unfair vantage points;
  • Eastern Europe: Balance changes have been made to the central capture point;
  • Carpathians: Added a new shelter position, some changes to unfair winning conditions;
  • Karelia: Some changes to unfair winning conditions;
  • White Rock Fortress: Balance changes at the northern capture point;
  • Battle of Hürtgen Forest: Balance changes at the third capture point.
Research and Economy
  • The amount of research points awarded for the destruction of ground vehicles are now uses the system similar to aircraft battles - vehicle BR difference will also be considered;
  • The amount of research points awarded for the destruction of ground vehicles has been slightly increased;
  • For the Panther F and Panther 2, reduced the amount of research points needed for modifications, and the purchase price, according to their current BR;
  • Added missing traverse adjustment drive modification for self-propelled guns: Panzerjäger Panther, Panzerjäger Tiger, Panzerjäger Tiger P Ferdinand, ISU-152, SU-100Y, SU-100, SU-122, SU-122-54, SU-152, SU-85-1943, SU-85М;
  • The US nation now has a separate line for level bombers. Attackers and dive bombers now have a common research line.
Damage Model
  • A new indicator for ground vehicle and aircraft damage has been introduced;
  • A new system of tracking for shell fragments has been introduced: Fragments can now have a more complex and unique shape, and differing fragments can have different amounts of energy. This system works for secondary shell fragments and the metal jet of HEAT grenades;
  • Increased the efficiency of piercing projectiles with a discarding sabot against sloped armor;
  • Increased the efficiency of flat-headed shells, and armour-piercing and ballistic capped shells, on sloped armour inclined at a 60 degree angle.
  • Fixed the ballistics of piercing projectiles with a discarding sabot. Now, the cross-section on which ballistics will be calculated correspond to the core size of the projectile, and not to the projectile's sabot.
Weaponry
  • HESH (High-Explosive Squash Head) shells have been added, which cause fragments to hit targets inside the vehicle due to spalling;
  • HEATFS (High-Explosive Anti Tank Fin Stabilized) shells have been added. These shells have a much better penetration, but cause less spalling than common HEAT shells;
  • BP-367P streamlined piercing projectile ammunition has been added for the T-44.
Changes in Flight Models
  • A6M (all models) - Specified the calculation for the airflow on the horizontal tail surfaces, refined the calculation of the transition processes and damped in all axes. Edited inertia calculations, and geometry calculations of the wings. Stalling, due to executing a turn is more likely now. Decreased takeoff distance. Changed engine operations in automatic control mode;
  • B-25 (all models) - Specified the calculation for the airflow on the horizontal tail surfaces, refined the calculation of the transition processes and damped in all axes. Edited inertia calculations. Control of this aircraft in Mouse Aim mode has been improved;
  • B7A2 - Changed behavior of the aircraft whilst in a vertical dive (improved stability, including during recovery from a steep dive). Edited the efficiency of the air brake (reduced). Edited inertia calculations;
  • Blenheim Mk.IV - Specified the calculation for the airflow on the horizontal tail surfaces, refined the calculation of the transition processes and damped in all axes. Edited inertia calculations. Improved stability whilst in a vertical dive;
  • Boomerang Mk. I/II - Specified the calculation for the airflow on the horizontal tail surfaces, refined the calculation of the transition processes and damped in all axes. Edited inertia calculations;
  • Yer-2 (with M-105 engines) - Refined engine operation mode (temperature). Improved stability whilst in level flight.
  • G4M1 - Specified the calculation for the airflow on the horizontal tail surfaces, refined the calculation of the transition processes and damped in all axes. Edited inertia calculations;
  • Il-2 (all models) - Overheat calculations refined (engine now takes longer to overheat). Improved stability whilst in level flight. Specified the calculation for the airflow on the horizontal tail surfaces, refined the calculation of the transition processes and damped in all axes. Edited inertia calculations;
  • Ju-87B-2 - Improved stability whilst in a vertical dive;
  • Ki-84 (all models) - Improved stability whilst in a vertical dive. Increased the sensitivity of control surfaces. Specified the calculation for the airflow on the horizontal tail surfaces, refined the calculation of the transition processes and damped in all axes. Edited inertia calculations. Improved reaction of the aircraft during tug the handling situations (stalling suddenly, including at high-speeds);
  • Ki-102 otsu - Overheat calculations refined (engine now takes longer to overheat). Improved stability in all flight modes. Specified the calculation for the airflow on the horizontal tail surfaces, refined the calculation of the transition processes and damped in all axes. Edited inertia calculations;
  • Ki-45 - Overheat calculations refined (engine now takes longer to overheat). Improved stability whilst in level flight. Specified the calculation for the airflow on the horizontal tail surfaces, refined the calculation of the transition processes and damped in all axes. Edited inertia calculations;
  • Ki-49 (all modifications) - Overheat calculations refined (engine now takes longer to overheat). Improved stability whilst in level flight. Specified the calculation for the airflow on the horizontal tail surfaces, refined the calculation of the transition processes and damped in all axes. Edited inertia calculations;
  • Ki-96 - Overheat calculations refined (engine now takes longer to overheat). Improved stability whilst in level flight. Specified the calculation for the airflow on the horizontal tail surfaces, refined the calculation of the transition processes and damped in all axes. Edited inertia calculations;
  • P-47 (all models) - Improved stability whilst in level flight. Specified the calculation for the airflow on the horizontal tail surfaces, refined the calculation of the transition processes and damped in all axes. Edited inertia calculations.
  • Wirraway - Overheat calculations refined (engine now takes longer to overheat). Improved stability whilst in level flight. Specified the calculation for the airflow on the horizontal tail surfaces, refined the calculation of the transition processes and damped in all axes. Edited inertia calculations;
  • Yak-1/1b/7b/9/3 (all models) - Flight models have been fully updated. Recalculated and refined all geometric and weight characteristics. Reworked propeller and engine characteristics. Changed behaviour during takeoff and landing (reduced speed for takeoff and landing). Specified the calculation for the airflow on the horizontal tail surfaces, refined the calculation of the transition processes and damped in all axes. Edited inertia calculations;
  • Yak-3 BK-107a - Initially configured according to the data sheet;
  • J2M5 - Has been configured according to the data sheet;
  • J2M5 (30mm) - Has been configured according to the data sheet;
  • Ki-44-1 - Has been configured according to the data sheet;
  • Ki-61 (all models) - Improved stability whilst in level flight. Specified the calculation for the airflow on the horizontal tail surfaces, refined the calculation of the transition processes and damped in all axes. Edited inertia calculations;
  • N1K2 (all models) - New flight model. Basic characteristics of the aircraft have been changed (max speed was increased to 630 km/h, time to climb up to 5000m has been reduced to 05:30 min). New characteristics configured in accordance with the Data Sheet. Specified the calculation for the airflow on the horizontal tail surfaces, refined the calculation of the transition processes and damped in all axes. Edited inertia calculations;
  • Bf.110C-4 - Improved stability whilst in level flight. Specified the calculation for the airflow on the horizontal tail surfaces, refined the calculation of the transition processes and damped in all axes. Edited inertia calculations;
  • P-51D (all models) - Refined geometric data, control elements (flaps, ailerons, elevator and rudder), by reaching maximum overload, calculations are considered for the effect of airflow. The higher the speed, the greater the effect, stalling and climb rate has been initially configured according to the data sheet. The engine has also been slightly modified;
  • P-51D-5 - Fuselage tank has been installed, lack of additional fin area in later models is considered, behavior corresponding to early D series;
  • А-36 - Has been configured according to the data sheet;
  • Fury Mk.II - Flight model has been completely reworked. Size, weight, and restrictions on control have been edited (vertical dive, overload, chassis durability). Wing and profile have been recalculated. Specified the calculation for the airflow on the horizontal tail surfaces, refined the calculation of the transition processes and damped in all axes. Edited inertia calculations. The Kestrel VI engine, gear, propeller, and radiator have been configured according to historical graphics;
  • Tempest (all models) - Specified the calculation for the airflow on the horizontal tail surfaces, refined the calculation of the transition processes and damped in all axes. Edited inertia calculations;
  • Attacker - Specified the calculation for the airflow on the horizontal tail surfaces, refined the calculation of the transition processes and damped in all axes. Edited inertia calculations. Trimmer has been fixed;
  • Firebrand Mk.IV - Has been initially configured according to the data sheet;
  • Ta.152H-1 - Flight model has been completely reworked. Reworked aircraft behaviour at high speeds. The higher the speed, the greater the effect. Calculations are now considered for the effect of airflow on the horizontal tail surface. Refined the calculation of the transition processes and damped in all axes. The resistance of single elements (flaps, screw, fuselage, radiator etc.) are now calculated. Refined wing centre of gravity and behaviour during a stall or corkscrew and when at maximum overload. Engine performance has been adjusted, reduced compression and overheating. Fuel consumption calculations have been refined. Refined speeds and climb rate in different modes;
  • Do.17E-1 - Has been configured according to the data sheet;
  • La-5F - Fixed the maximum speed when affected by ground-effect. Specified the calculation for the airflow on the horizontal tail surfaces, refined the calculation of the transition processes and damped in all axes. Edited inertia calculations;
  • Me-410 (all models) - New flight model. Reduced the impact of torque effect during take off. Improved the efficiency of air brakes. Specified the calculation for the airflow on the horizontal tail surfaces, refined the calculation of the transition processes and damped in all axes. Edited inertia calculations;
  • Hurricane Mk.IV/Mk.II (USSR) - Has been initially configured.
Interface
  • A new system has been introduced - Orders;
  • Added function that allows the marking of locations of enemies in combined Realistic Battles. By landing a shot on an enemy with your main gun, all players in your team will, for a limited time, be able to view the targeted enemy’s location on the minimap;
  • Tags for Britain carrier-based aircraft have been optimised (unnecessary and apparently duplicating tags have been removed).
Settings
  • Changed the method of saving user settings. Now they are stored separately for each account and divided into two parts. One part is synchronised between all player devices (general settings, vehicle preset settings and settings), the other one is individual for each device (control settings, colours, fonts, etc.).
Sounds
  • Improved the overall sound environment for air battles;
  • New sounds for shells striking the ground have been added.
Decals and Camouflages
  • Multiple decals for ground vehicles and aircraft have been added;
  • Added winter camouflages for all ground vehicles which don’t already have them. For all soviet ground vehicles, added woodland camouflages. Vehicles: Flakpanzer I Ausf A, КV-1B 756(r), Aufklärungspanzer 38(t), Pz.Kpfw 38(t) Ausf. A, Pz.Kpfw. VI Tiger P, Sd.Kfz. 6/2 mit FlaK 36, StuG III Ausf A, StuG III Ausf F, M2A4, M3 Lee, M3 Stuart, M3A1 Stuart, BT-5, BT-7 1937, IS-3, IS-4M, ISU-152, KV-1 L11, KV-2 1939, М4A2 76W (USSR), SU-100Y, SU-100 1945, SU-122-54, SU-152, SU-57, SU-76M 1943, Т-10М, Т-126(SP), Т-26 1940, Т-28, Т-35, Т-50, Т-54 1951, Т-60 1941, Т-70 1942, Т-80, ZIS-30, ZSU-37, ZSU-57-2, ZUT-37;
  • The conditions for unlocking some camouflages have been changed.
I like those mentions of spalling.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Feels to WoT like Counter Strike to Quake (I play tenks)
And I always liked Unreal
Great atmosphere and very funny tank handling, WoT feels like mario kart in comparison
Dislike one-shots though, and maps are pretty but... weird, they feel big but then you find some rock blocking path to cap circle and have to move around it 5 minutes; and the placement of cap circles can also be weird, making 2/3 of map useless
I like all he variations in caps and game types though
The grind is grindy and worse than WoT by far, opening repair kits and fire extinguishers every tank, things get even worse when it comes to crew

I see little value in arcade fights at all. However, simulation is something else and I think I will at least try and stick around to next tier and try getting myself into those
Not like it's easy since you have to wait a lot in line, maybe I should just stick to realistic

the antenna on my pzIII just kills me, I get distracted on it and things like dirt on tracks and hull all the time
T34s just oneshot shit out of me lmao

why are waiting lines so long for *everything*((

just saw allied hurricane land on top of allied stug :lol: transhformars!!

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Small drama in rus community http://vk.com/wall-49597300_234448

tl;dr
popular youtuber creates some sort of "desinformation"
Gaijin "wanted to give a warning" but "by mistake" thrown a youtube strike which nuked whole channel
Gaijin sorry and says will make it back if youtuber signs this document: http://forum.warthunder.ru/index.ph...-akkauntom-na-youtubecom/page-12#entry4680004
document says "Ok to make videos about WT but make 4 a week and no criticism or ruining our rep pls"

article http://kanobu.ru/articles/borba-za-youtube-kanal-alconafter-369111/

with english document

the best part: If the Channel owner breaches the terms and conditions of this Agreement, Gaijin Network Ltd may at its sole discretion to (a) unilaterally terminate this Agreement and/or (b) require the Channel owner to pay a fine of $ 10,000 (ten thousand US dollars) for each case of breach.

ten thusan dorra!

drevil_cover.jpg

Seems like channel is back withi help of CEO of Gaijin with person responsible laid off

Last edited:

Luka-boy

Arcane
British tank line is gonna get released soon. Implied in the forums to be next month, though I'm not sure if that will be just in the test server or for everyone.
[Development] Stow the boiling vessel - Target front!
Dear friends!

Since the development of War Thunder began, we have strived to diversify all of the in-game content available to our players. We have added new aircraft and new locations, we added new ground vehicles for the USSR and Germany. We introduced a research tree for US ground vehicles. Of course, we didn’t plan to stop there, and so, we would like to proudly present to you a project that the development team has been working on diligently for a long time - British ground vehicles!

Fast and deadly, heavy and protected, beautiful and powerful, here they are! - ground vehicles for a fourth nation in War Thunder. The manufacture of ground vehicles from Great Britain proved to have an unusual approach in combining armour and weaponry. Often, they created unique vehicles, of which no counterpart anywhere else in the world could match.

In the first Devblog about British ground vehicles, we would like to introduce players to three prominent British developments, which were in the armed forces of Great Britain during and after WW2. Just from the examples of these three vehicles that have been shown here, you can already see how different and diverse the British manufacturing techniques of ground vehicles was, techniques which led to superb vehicles that will soon be available for our players in War Thunder. So let’s put away our tea mugs and see what we've got!

Medium “cruiser” tank A34 “Comet”

The A34 “Comet” was the further development of the “Cromwell”. An incredible vehicle, which was recognized by the British command as the best in its class. At a weight of only 33 tons, its firepower was greater than the firepower of any other Allied medium tank of its time. The only other comparable vehicle within the British Ground Forces, the Sherman Firefly, was greatly inferior to the “Comet” in all characteristics, except the cannon’s penetration.

The “Comet” was upgraded and modified to fit the 17-pounder-antitank cannon, which already proved its effectiveness as a field cannon. Besides that, the armour on the vehicle turret was improved, while the chassis was taken from the “Cromwell”. In game, the vehicle shows its strengths against opponents at rank III and IV, but tankers should not rely on armour protection, as non sloped armour may lead to poor survivability. The proper use of its excellent combination of mobility and cannon performance transform the “Comet” into a dangerous hunter against enemy tanks and self-propelled guns behind enemy lines.

line.png

Heavy infantry tank Churchill Mk.III

The “Churchill” is a legendary British infantry support tank. Thanks to its successful design and excellent armour protection, which was further enhanced as the vehicle was modernized, the “Churchill” successfully participated in various theaters of World War II, including even parts of the Battle of Kursk and the Korean War. Its extremely low maximum speed on roads and cross country is made up for by very good armour protection. The Mk.III comes equipped with a 6-pounder (57mm) anti-tank cannon, which may sometimes be lacking in penetration to combat some enemy vehicles on medium to far distances. Thus, the driver of the “Churchill” has to adapt his tactics by steadily approaching the enemy and attacking from short distance. At the same the Churchill can provide cover to nearby allied vehicles using its massive hull.

line.png

Medium tank Centurion Mk.3

This third modification of the British “Centurion” tank was equipped with the QF 20 (83.8mm) pounder cannon, which is a very unique weapon indeed: It was an extremely powerful main cannon based on the infamous German 88mm KwK.43 cannon. It was the first cannon to feature so-called “sabot” rounds, in which the projectile was encased in a detachable holder - the sabot. While it came too late to actively participate in World War II, it proved its effectiveness in other conflicts like the Korean War and Vietnam. In War Thunder, this vehicle will take its rightful place at rank IV, where it will be a worthy opponent for the late modifications of the Panther and T-44.

an8uymq0ko29.jpg

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Basicly, russian tonks own everything. Germans tier III and IV are pretty much screwed because you constantly fight against soviets. SOMETIMES if you're lucky, you can get Americans on your side, but even then it happens to be totally one sided game.
Not sure if it's just my luck, or russian tanks can easily take 3-4 hits before dying most of the time, while germans/yanks are dying to 1-2 hits.
Su-100Y is ridiculous, 1-hit killing everything from huge distances. And OFC it's a premium machine.

Better stick to planes if you don't plan playing Sovietium steel machines.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom