Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Boltgun - W40K boomer shooter

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
I am on mission 6 now and if this wasn’t WH40K or had this retro look it would be a real mediocre game. It was fun for an hour or two but it’s too repetitive and lacks in any interesting ideas.

I’ve been playing games like these in the late 90s and it’s just weird that a game like this is so well received today.

I mean, people shit all over Cyberpunk but this boomer shooter is great? Come one give me a break.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I am on mission 6 now and if this wasn’t WH40K or had this retro look it would be a real mediocre game. It was fun for an hour or two but it’s too repetitive and lacks in any interesting ideas.

I’ve been playing games like these in the late 90s and it’s just weird that a game like this is so well received today.

I mean, people shit all over Cyberpunk but this boomer shooter is great? Come one give me a break.
Because old style games are still better than modern shit. Especially shit made by pollacks.

orcinator

Liturgist
They named it Boltgun but it should have been named Battlezone: Manufactorum – Munitorum Armoured Containers™

99120199092_ArmouredContainersLead.jpg

99120199092_ArmouredContainersLead.jpg

Only $60!

Last edited:

orcinator

Liturgist
I've heard that you guys like Mack. Well, Mack likes this game.
His videos are good....
...as a warning that something is shallow enough to appeal to his shitty taste.

Yeah it's pretty mediocre, nudoom styled but with sloppy level design, enemies that don't have the mobility of nudoom demons and too much ammo. The levels are also rather lacking in assets so it's very easy to get lost in the repetitive scenery (see above for a preview of how the game looks like).

I can confirm it's easy on the highest difficulty though Birdie boss was pretty hard until I realized that the best way to beat it is to avoid killing any of the other enemies as it's much easier to dodge the pink "Archvile but with minimun windup and tons of damage" attack and the screamers then to dodge the pink attack and plasmafags and chaos muhreens. Sorceror boss right afterwards was the same, easier because I knew the trick and he didn't have the pink attack, more annoying since you have to spend time finding him and the game isn't like Dawn of War where everyone screams all the time (only the Ultrasmurf gets to yell and you need to press T to taunt). Really disappoint they couldn't shout some lines from the CSM codex and put a filter on it.

Got to the second canyon level and I doubt I'm going to keep playing. Wonder if the weapon strenght and enemy toughness are a special mechanic or if it's just a way for the game to reccomend the optimal weapon vs each enemy.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I tried this for 2h or so (until my first death). It is fine but for some reason I cannot bring myself to continue playing it.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Still coming back to this game every once in a while, trying to find all secrets and complete the levels on the highest difficulty. Reminds me of a platformer tbh (I have played almost no shooters so idk if this is common)

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
It might not be the best shooter ever, but I'm enjoying it. Spess Mehreen man go shoot.

While the big sale is up, do you bros have any other retro throwback shooter recommendations? Prodeus looks good, but I've heard mixed things.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I got this since it was on sale.

Eh. Nothing much to say. It's a competent boomer shooter. The bolter handles nicely and makes everything explode. The other weapons kinda suck so far.

It's way too easy. I'm on hard but might have to bump up to hardest, although I'm not sure if that will help since it's mostly an AI/projectile issue. You got near pinpoint precision meanwhile the enemies fire these slow, easy to dodge bullets.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
The game is piss easy. I like the visuals, but besides that its very boring. It puts nothing on the table for experienced fps players. After playing Turbo Overkill I decided to try this and its pure boredom. I guess you could recommend it to someone who's never touched a shooter in his life, but anyone else won't be missing out for skipping it.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Yes, the game is quite subpar. I even refunded it because there wasn't anything worth in it bar I guess some decent art direction.

Level design is piss-poor, combat design is likewise very amateurish. Secret hunting a chore. Everything could be forgiven if the basic gunplay loop was decent, but the enemies are lambs to the slaughter and everything is insanely cramped and limited. It's like they tried to ape Doom 2016 without any skill.

i swear journos were complaining it was too hard, so many of them complaining so much i even shelved this in fear. i should had known better.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I switched the difficulty to hardest (which is kinda annoying to do since it's not just a toggle).

Game's better. Everything's tankier and hits harder, but it does make the battles somewhat tenser.

A few problems:

- I'm not super into Boomer Shooters and I'm not good at them, but the game's still too easy.
- There are many areas in the maps that are basically safe zones since most enemies won't follow you in there.
- AI is bad and the shooty enemy types move way too slow. Projectiles take ages to reach you. They're basically a non-threat.
- Except the plasma gunners. A lucky shot will take a chunk of your health and the game likes spawning them behind corners.
- The construction of the maps incentivize approaching enemies at a distance, where you can easily outgun and outdodge enemies. Boomer shooters are not fun as slow-paced sniping galleries.
- Too much cover. Enemies don't know how to deal with cover.
- Too many pickups. Even with increased enemy spawn (Maybe? The game doesn't even tell you what difficulty does).
- If you run and gun, you're basically invincible.
- Everything and it's warpspawn mom has JRPG boss health on Exterminatus.

All the enemies can be placed into three tiers:

Dangerous - Aspiring Champions (melee tank) and plasma assholes
Annoying - Lesser demons like nurgle toads and tzeentch horrors
Harmless - Any shooty unit besides the plasma gunners
Annoying and harmless - Any boss HP shooty enemy, like exalted demons and chaos terminators

But I'm enjoying the game so far. Tentatively recommend if you're really into the setting and boltguns make you hard.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
keep playing... the first chapter is relatively easy the game got significantly harder as it went on iirc, less cheesable maps and LOTS more enemies thrown at you at once. also on exterminatus you really have to focus on the strength rating of your gun vs their toughness level more than you need to in easier difficulties

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
keep playing... the first chapter is relatively easy the game got significantly harder as it went on iirc, less cheesable maps and LOTS more enemies thrown at you at once. also on exterminatus you really have to focus on the strength rating of your gun vs their toughness level more than you need to in easier difficulties

I'm not a fan of difficulty levels being just increased enemy HP and damage. The first boss took a longass time to whittle down and wasn't especially dangerous on its own.

But I'm still fairly entertained by the game (mostly by the gore effects). The bridge puzzle after the first boss was actually pretty cool.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://boltgun.fandom.com/wiki/Difficulty

this is what 40k nerds have to say about the difficulty differences:

There are four difficulty ratings to Boltgun, Easy, Normal, Hard and Exterminatus.

Broadly speaking, the player's health and contempt values, as well as ammunition capacity do not change. What does change are enemy placement and number of enemies, introducing tougher enemies sooner, as well as seemingly slight increase in enemy health.

Also notably, higher settings make the enemies aim better as well as increasing their damage output.

Pending data mining, there aren't really any hard numbers to ascribe to the difference between each mode, but broadly speaking, it really is a marginal increase in health.

For example, a Heavy Stubber Cultist or Cultist Champion will die to two bolter rounds on Hard, but will be left with a sliver of health on Exterminatus. Alternatively, a Chaos Space Marine can die to a single frag grenade on Normal, but will be left with a fraction of health on Hard. Both cases are really no more than 10% remaining health but nonetheless present additional challenge, albeit far more organically than many other games which tweak difficulty by making enemies damage sponges, drastically slowing pace of gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom