Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Boltgun - W40K boomer shooter

Gromoer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This actually looks very good. I wish though they have picked some other races instead of the beaten to death SMs. Tau are my favs, though eldars would have worked as well, hell, or even Necrons to delve into the more creative fields.

I also kind of don’t understand the pixel art fatigue, I have more fatigue from the generic current 3D that posseses 0 individuality style-wise.

On the other hand, although I enjoy this type of games (Amid Evil, Synther, Prodeus) I tend to think they miss the opportunity to make the gameplay something more than just plain shooter. I mean I can’t care enough to waste my time just shooting at things. Give me story, character progression, inventory, but most importantly ways to approach a gameplay differentely.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Am I seeing right that some places will be locked until you kill all enemies like Doom 2016?

randir14

Augur
All the guns have ejection ports and charging handles on the wrong side, and the shotgun shells spawn out of thin air. 0/10 will pirate.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
All the guns have ejection ports and charging handles on the wrong side, and the shotgun shells spawn out of thin air. 0/10 will pirate.
Should bolters even have ejection ports? A bolt is a self propelling explosive projectile, is there even a casing to eject?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

randir14

Augur
Should bolters even have ejection ports? A bolt is a self propelling explosive projectile, is there even a casing to eject?
From what I read it's a two stage round where it fires like a normal bullet and ejects a shell, then the gyrojet kicks in after some distance.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
From what I read it's a two stage round where it fires like a normal bullet and ejects a shell, then the gyrojet kicks in after some distance.
That's a bit weird though, it's meant to be a weapon that can fire in all conditions, even the vacuum of space or underwater. I'm pretty sure conventional bullets need an oxygen atmosphere?

They are rarely fired; ammunition, when available at all, can cost over $100 per round
Yup, sure sounds like a bolter.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
That's a bit weird though, it's meant to be a weapon that can fire in all conditions, even the vacuum of space or underwater. I'm pretty sure conventional bullets need an oxygen atmosphere?

They are rarely fired; ammunition, when available at all, can cost over $100 per round
Yup, sure sounds like a bolter.

Most firearms don't need oxygen to fire, so unfortunately that one cool scene from Firefly is inaccurate unless they make firearms weird in the future.

Also, bolters do eject casings, with a two-phase propellant system, and is designed to be ambidextrous.

orcinator

Liturgist
The shell casings modeled on the base are canon you smelly secondary.

Lemming42

Arcane
Looks very standard... ugly graphics that aren't authentically 90s nor appealing by modern standards, big arena-y maps where enemies just surround you and you run around switching between weapons to blast them. nuDoom with shit graphics. Looks sort of like Prodeus in a lot of ways.

If throwback shooters have taught me anything it's that I vastly prefer the corridor-based design of Wolf3D/Doom/Marathon/etc to big arenas.

Buddy bought it and I was able to play his copy a smidge. Set it on the highest difficulty to give it a whirl and I'm not terribly impressed, sound and graphics are well done but the levels have been pretty boring and the worst part is the enemy AI is weirdly passive. It's great that everyone's firing projectiles you can dodge and circle strafe but Jesus, enemies almost just stand stationary and fire at you and let you bounce grenades off their heads. Maybe it's supposed to remind you of Doomguy running at a million miles an hour while the zombies barely shuffle but it seems even more pronounced in this. Was interested enough to download it and look at it but after having a taste I don't know if I care enough to finish it. Not terribly surprising but kind of a shame.

Sjukob

Arcane
Buddy bought it and I was able to play his copy a smidge. Set it on the highest difficulty to give it a whirl and I'm not terribly impressed, sound and graphics are well done but the levels have been pretty boring and the worst part is the enemy AI is weirdly passive. It's great that everyone's firing projectiles you can dodge and circle strafe but Jesus, enemies almost just stand stationary and fire at you and let you bounce grenades off their heads. Maybe it's supposed to remind you of Doomguy running at a million miles an hour while the zombies barely shuffle but it seems even more pronounced in this. Was interested enough to download it and look at it but after having a taste I don't know if I care enough to finish it. Not terribly surprising but kind of a shame.
It's a common problem with all those new "retro FPS", and even modern games in general - catastrophic lack of difficulty and creative encounter design. There's basically no reason to play them instead of running some Doom wad or Quake mapset, that you can get for free. I've already talked about it before in greater detail, several times.

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
I feel like there's some deepseated codex hate for boomer shooters, for reasons that I'm not aware of.
It's mostly just that the scene has been a disappointment so far; they rarely if ever recapture the same level of quality as the games they're based on, and it's similarly rare of them to offer any improvements or modern sensibilities.

The only one I've really enjoyed fully and would rate alongside the 90s games is Ion Fury. There are some other very good ones (the recently-finished HROT being one, and Amid Evil being another) but by and large they seem to take more cues from nuDoom than they do from the likes of the Build games, and they all seem to have a strange affinity for arena-based design which is consistently not fun IMO.

The scene has been far from a waste of time and there's been a host of decent games too - Project Warlock, Supplice, DUSK, etc - but so far the whole throwback genre just isn't hitting the highs that it should be.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
DUSK is great

And saying Doom and Quake are better fps than X because "you can download hundreds of awesome crazy wads", is effectively the equivalent of saying "Skyrim is one of the greatest RPG's of all time because you can play Enderal instead"

:nocountryforshitposters:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I must indeed be extra edgy, since when I'm seeing a post where someone rightfully criticizes these games and then names Ion Fury or Amid Evil as exceptions the only thing I'm thinking is "bruh, those are shite, too".

I think there's exactly one "boomer shooter" that's: well made technically, has fun and tight gameplay and does indeed feel like the source(s) of inspiration did all at the same time - Overload.

randir14

Augur
I like it for the most part, so far my only complaints are the same as what someone already mentioned - boring levels and passive enemies. Even the regular Chaos cultists are more aggressive than the Chaos Marines. The soundtrack is kind of interesting, almost like a mix of Turok 64 and Tommy Tallarico's Sega Genesis era.

Fargus

Arcane
So, y'all purging the taint of chaos on PC, PS4|PS5, XBOX ONE, XBOX SERIES X|S and Nintendo Switch, fellow kids?

Is the game any good?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom