Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

lightbane

Arcane
Fun fact: You CAN buy ships as a RT, but they're difficult to acquire for their astronomical prices AND extras attached (such as the Mechanicus keeping an eye on you). they can be upgraded as well, but again, expensive and limited to certain places.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Some more questions, and thanks for the responses.

1) How advanced will the trade aspect of the game be? I'm not sure if you've played other games with trade-based caravan mechanics such as Sunless Sea or Vagrus, but can we expect similar mechanics as can be found in those games in regards to transporting goods from one location to another to sell for a profit, and all the risks and rewards that come with that.

2) How will Rogue Trader differ from the two previous Pathfinder games, aside from the obvious differences that are a result of the change in setting. s this game going to just be the Pathfinder games but Warhammer edition, or are there some deeper differences planned? Are there any core design philosophies that have changed? If so, what are the reasons for these changes, and what is Owlcat hoping to accomplish? Assuming there are deeper differences, were any of these born out of a desire to improve upon some of the design decisions that drove previous Owlcat games?

3) I'm not sure if you can answer this, but how willing is Owlcat to embrace some of the more "problematic" elements of the 40k lore and setting? I've seen your previous responses in regards to sticking as true to the original tone and feel as possible, and fair enough, but that is a very broad statement. Can we get any statements on whether or not we will see common political issues such as LGBTQ+ or the feminist movement shoehorned into the narrative or setting? Of course, whether or not these themes or "shoehorned" is a matter of interpretation, but regardless, I'd still like to see if you have a statement on this issue.

4) At a glance, there are a lot of similarities between the combat system, at least visually, between Rogue Trader and XCOM. Can you comment on whether or not Rogue Trader took any inspiration from XCOM? What are some things that you feel differentiate Rogue Trader's combat from XCOM's combat, and in general, how big of an impact will character building have on the combat system as a whole?

EDIT: What will be the requirements behind accessing the beta?
1. We've implemented a trade factor into the game, including interaction with trade guilds, selling goods, etc.
2. It will be significantly different. Rogue Trader will have a completely different combat system, setting, and mechanics, including the game system itself, based on D100. These distinctions are made to better fit this particular game. Also, Rogue Trader is based on the Rogue Trader Rulebook by Fantasy Flight Games.
3. I can't help you with the answer to this, unfortunately.
4. We were inspired by all the great RPGs and strategies with the turn-based combat system, but we tried to make it as unique as possible and bring our vision to it.
5. Access to the beta can be obtained by pre-ordering the game on the website.
Can Codex Hive members get a special discount :D

Reinhardt

Arcane
is that too much to ask? :negative:

FQmmQUS.jpg

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Some more questions, and thanks for the responses.

1) How advanced will the trade aspect of the game be? I'm not sure if you've played other games with trade-based caravan mechanics such as Sunless Sea or Vagrus, but can we expect similar mechanics as can be found in those games in regards to transporting goods from one location to another to sell for a profit, and all the risks and rewards that come with that.

2) How will Rogue Trader differ from the two previous Pathfinder games, aside from the obvious differences that are a result of the change in setting. s this game going to just be the Pathfinder games but Warhammer edition, or are there some deeper differences planned? Are there any core design philosophies that have changed? If so, what are the reasons for these changes, and what is Owlcat hoping to accomplish? Assuming there are deeper differences, were any of these born out of a desire to improve upon some of the design decisions that drove previous Owlcat games?

3) I'm not sure if you can answer this, but how willing is Owlcat to embrace some of the more "problematic" elements of the 40k lore and setting? I've seen your previous responses in regards to sticking as true to the original tone and feel as possible, and fair enough, but that is a very broad statement. Can we get any statements on whether or not we will see common political issues such as LGBTQ+ or the feminist movement shoehorned into the narrative or setting? Of course, whether or not these themes or "shoehorned" is a matter of interpretation, but regardless, I'd still like to see if you have a statement on this issue.

4) At a glance, there are a lot of similarities between the combat system, at least visually, between Rogue Trader and XCOM. Can you comment on whether or not Rogue Trader took any inspiration from XCOM? What are some things that you feel differentiate Rogue Trader's combat from XCOM's combat, and in general, how big of an impact will character building have on the combat system as a whole?

EDIT: What will be the requirements behind accessing the beta?
1. We've implemented a trade factor into the game, including interaction with trade guilds, selling goods, etc.
2. It will be significantly different. Rogue Trader will have a completely different combat system, setting, and mechanics, including the game system itself, based on D100. These distinctions are made to better fit this particular game. Also, Rogue Trader is based on the Rogue Trader Rulebook by Fantasy Flight Games.
3. I can't help you with the answer to this, unfortunately.
4. We were inspired by all the great RPGs and strategies with the turn-based combat system, but we tried to make it as unique as possible and bring our vision to it.
5. Access to the beta can be obtained by pre-ordering the game on the website.
Though your responses are vague, I appreciate them nonetheless. I will say that the general vibe of the forum is cautiously optimistic, if you can look past all the people sperging about social justice related issues. I look forward to trying Rogue Trader, and I wish y'all luck in development. I'm sure once the beta rolls around, there will be plenty of people clamoring to shove their constructive criticism down your throat, and though it may be uncomfortable, most Codexer's really know their stuff as it relates to RPGs so it would behoove you to give them a chance and listen when the time comes. You have a ton of fans on this forum, with some people here having put over a thousand hours into your games.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
crowd clearer not single target damage weapon.

Disagreed. Fire spamming is the best crowd DPS weapon in the game(from Psyker or not), Void is good for AoE DPS at long range but the greatest problem is that in heresy and damnation difficulty, you would't kill even the weakest mobs with a fully charged blast. My staff has almost 480 gear ratting and can't do that in the hardest difficulty. Surge staff in other hands charges faster and is 2HK in damnation too and hits much more enemies also has a "psy bolt" for long range single target and the best CC in the game. I'm only using void cuz I could't find a good surge staff. Hell, I hate gear dependency.

Talking about psy, will they implement biomancy in this game?

https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Biomancy

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Social justice sperging
The developer u claim has many fans cant talk to you without basically walking on glass. You may see that as normality but i dont.
That harrypotter game showed that in reality, twitter freaks dont have as much power as they think. The quicker devs realise this the quicker games could be games again.

Now give me my list of romancable characters so i could begin drawing bad fanart.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Rightoids were the only ones who ever held delusions about the influence of Twitter losers.
How delusional are you for still trying this kind of shit here ? Just go look at 90% of the "game journalist review" of hogwart, all those slacktivist had to include a disclaimer about fucking train because rowling did a wrongthink once. If anything, most rightoid grifter were absolutely right in saying that troon effort were going to be for naught.
Liberal developer represent an overwhelming majority of the industry because anyone who openly express even a modicum of reserve toward "the message" have been purged out of the mainstream industry a decade ago.

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer
Though your responses are vague, I appreciate them nonetheless. I will say that the general vibe of the forum is cautiously optimistic, if you can look past all the people sperging about social justice related issues. I look forward to trying Rogue Trader, and I wish y'all luck in development. I'm sure once the beta rolls around, there will be plenty of people clamoring to shove their constructive criticism down your throat, and though it may be uncomfortable, most Codexer's really know their stuff as it relates to RPGs so it would behoove you to give them a chance and listen when the time comes. You have a ton of fans on this forum, with some people here having put over a thousand hours into your games.
Thank you, I appreciate your support. Frankly speaking, we listen to the feedback a lot. And I hope that you'll feel it when you'll try the game

Joyvankek

Learned
Thank you, I appreciate your support. Frankly speaking, we listen to the feedback a lot. And I hope that you'll feel it when you'll try the game
Will I need to enter some new code for the beta access, or will my alpha automatically upgrade itself?
It was an easy W, they got to laugh at their humiliating irrelevancy as the tide of consumerism completely wrecked them, libs were owned that day.
By now most of them are back to their "Tranny Totalitarian 1984 Soros illuminati are putting minorities in my vidya games!!!" narratives, their goldfish brained audience will never challenge them on it.
You mean like the leftards constantly crying about systemic rasisums, muh white privilege and all that other retarded shit?
Nice strawman you're building yourself here, one doesn't need to give a single fuck about jews like Soros, or any secret societies of rich, bored and decadent pedophiles that make up the so called "elites". To be against having real life politic shoved into entertainment.
Same goes with the hatred and anti-whiteism directed at Caucasians, hidden behind terms like diversity.
But sure keep up with projecting your own retardation on others.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Liberal developers develop liberally of their own accord.

Wrong. By ESG money fulled by BlackRock and similar companies which are sustained via taxpayer money in QE and public debt "returns". But of course, when someone mentions Frankfurt school and Yuri Bezmenov, lefitists will gonna say that is aconspiration theory. Despite all documents which Yuri showed and the fact that Adorno openly stated multiple times that he wanna to destroy ""western civilization"". If this is a conspiration theory, then saying that Rothbard wanna the privatization of everything, including the army and police is also another conspiration theory(when both stated their objectives loudly and clearly).

twitter freaks dont have as much power as they think.

They don't, but BlackRock manages 10 trillion USD. They can buy most studios to enforce their Baizuo ideology... Even CD projekt red, an Polish company(country hated by Baizuo leftists and Tankie lefitists) now has ESG score and will produce only bugfest woke garbages.

I hope that Chris will be back and keep his amazing writing.

Every single company except OwlCat trowed him out of the bus.

And even if he is proven innocent, I don't see many studios hiring him back. As I've said, progressists made sexual misconduct allegations worse than witch hunts or Stalin purges. During witch hunt or Stalin purges, you where guilty till proven innocent. Under progressivism, you are guilty even after proven innocent.

Last edited:

jungl

Augur
I been playing digimon first order and there is a stock market in the game. There is also a digimon that rates you how effectively you been using the market and gives rewards. You guys should copy this mechanic also fuck it just put stingmon in 40k cause he looks cool xeno appropriate.
E1f9qWQVkAMys1v.png
stingmon_by_mearns_d514xub-fullview.jpg

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer
Will I need to enter some new code for the beta access, or will my alpha automatically upgrade itself?
No info about this yet.

serch

Magister
What about higher difficulty levels? For me everything is better than enemy stat bloating, even just more enemies. At least you don't feel weaker the more you master the system in your power fantasy RPG. I understand that AI improvements or better positioning//equipment can be very resource consuming, although I suppose that more toons on screen can tax too much some computers, so ... what?

Togukawa

Savant
Patron
What about higher difficulty levels? For me everything is better than enemy stat bloating, even just more enemies. At least you don't feel weaker the more you master the system in your power fantasy RPG. I understand that AI improvements or better positioning//equipment can be very resource consuming, although I suppose that more toons on screen can tax too much some computers, so ... what?
Too many toons can make battles drag on too long in turn based games.

Nm6k

Scholar
@Owlcat_Eyler Some what related to what I said before will there be multiple ways to start the Chaos path or will it be just one choice at one moment?
As in do I have to do the really stupid thing in the alpha of giving Warrant of Trade to some random with no guarantee of them holding up their end of the bargain in order to join Chaos

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Instead of "be loyal to the empire of join Chaos", I wanna see more harsh decisions.

Eg - Lets suppose that an warp storm removed an plant from the empire. That planet was attacked by Tyranids and the Empire wrote them as "lost". However, they asked for help, got ignored, asked again, ignored again, throwed a guerrila warfare and lost and then, decided to use "abominable intelligence" in drones, weapon manufacturing or any other type of "heresy" and managed to kill the invasors. You as a rogue trader got in contact with such planet. They wanna to remain hidden. Should an rogue trader report them to the inquisition?

Note : I'm not a wh40k lore expert, sorry if I made a mistake in lore, is just an example of something that could be interesting.

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer
I see that you guys are very interested in this, I'll try to find out the details about the difficulty for you. I'll come back with the answer later :salute:
Instead of "be loyal to the empire of join Chaos", I wanna see more harsh decisions.

Eg - Lets suppose that an warp storm removed an plant from the empire. That planet was attacked by Tyranids and the Empire wrote them as "lost". However, they asked for help, got ignored, asked again, ignored again, throwed a guerrila warfare and lost and then, decided to use "abominable intelligence" in drones, weapon manufacturing or any other type of "heresy" and managed to kill the invasors. You as a rogue trader got in contact with such planet. They wanna to remain hidden. Should an rogue trader report them to the inquisition?

Note : I'm not a wh40k lore expert, sorry if I made a mistake in lore, is just an example of something that could be interesting.
Interesting one
@Owlcat_Eyler Some what related to what I said before will there be multiple ways to start the Chaos path or will it be just one choice at one moment?
As in do I have to do the really stupid thing in the alpha of giving Warrant of Trade to some random with no guarantee of them holding up their end of the bargain in order to join Chaos
That would be a HUGE spoiler, so my lips are sealed, sorry

Joyvankek

Learned
That would be a HUGE spoiler, so my lips are sealed, sorry
If you can't answer us, then at least I hope you will throw the idea around. It would be quite a disappointment if we would have our pc to be complete moron in order to get on the path to damnation.
Instead of what is closer to the lore, slow corruption, manipulation and promise of power/knowledge/pleasure and immortality as something that is basically lesser god.(Demon Prince)
It was already said in this thread, but to corrupt someone as high as RT, chaos really would need to up their game.

Instead of being corrupted by random, and not too bright, Word Bearer who instead of taking the chance to at least lie to you and make you doubt your current dogma, decided to hurl insults at you, demand that you give up the most precious possession you have(Warrant of Trade) while attacking you with psionic powers.
That's not how you convince someone that "the chaos is the only true answer", that's how you make your enemies even more loyal and keen on destroying you.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom