Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
LOL. Even if is less than 1/6 chance of OHKilling an enemy
that's not how math works...
Assuming you fight alone and the chances of every head in range are identical and this has a maximum range in the first place and there are no one else in the vicinity and you are very badly outnumbered then it would be even higher than 1/6 because 6 can lead to 5 or another 6.

:smug:

(Autistic) nerd mode off.
Uh sure, but none of the dice results target enemy heads. :lol:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
LOL. Even if is less than 1/6 chance of OHKilling an enemy
that's not how math works...
Assuming you fight alone and the chances of every head in range are identical and this has a maximum range in the first place and there are no one else in the vicinity and you are very badly outnumbered then it would be even higher than 1/6 because 6 can lead to 5 or another 6.

:smug:

(Autistic) nerd mode off.

I guess, but if you want to go down that hole, you're basically looking at an over 50% chance of killing yourself and somewhere between 17% and 33% chance of killing a party member.
and all because you tried to grab your cup with telekinesis

Worth it! :outrage:

Just make sure to make your first buff you cast each day is one that gives immunity to head explosions. Problem solved.

Alternatively, develop a way to exist without a head. This is WH40k there's probably a whole subfaction based around this concept already.

Trithne

Erudite
Mechanically in the Alpha, every use of a psychic power contributes to a meter measuring "veil thickness", which as it gets thinner, is supposed to increase the effectiveness of psychic powers, but also the risks, and I think also buffs daemons. I never saw it get thin enough to really have an effect though, but my party tended not to use psykers much. It's also a single meter for the entire encounter, so when there's enemy sorcerors and your own psykers it could go down pretty quick.

To answer Victor, there isn't a psyker class with a set power list, just psyker characters with their specific talent choices, from what I recall. Idira has offensive psi lightning powers, while Heinrix has a psi shield and a psi slam, designed to augment his melee focus.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It's hilarious that chaos worshipers turn to sorcery that is almost guaranteed to fuck over any non-named character (and most of the named ones) when the DIVINE POWER OF THE EMPEROR literally exists.

-looks at Sororitas, who can manifest miracles by being bitchin' hot babes utterly faithful warrior-nuns.-

Also warrior-nun is such a badass concept, why don't they get more attention/books GW? We are drowning in spess mahrines.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
What are the psyker powers available? I know that is not an RPG but I'm loving the Darktide. I just din't liked much the gear dependency of the game. And weapons, there is plasma guns, bolters, force swords, Heavy Stubber, chain swords/axes and other crazy stuff in this game?

Can you chose many ammo types for bolters? In lore, there are lots of ammo types : https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Bolter#Bolter_Ammunition_Types

edit : about the tabletop game

Last edited:

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Guys, an honest question of WH40k. Can the emperor make a clone of himself and transfer his soul to this clone?

You can make a clone of the Emperor, and I vaguely remember there was some shenanigans involving the dark eldar or Fabius Bile where they tried.

But transferring souls? As far as I know, that's a big grey area the books haven't explored, but I'm not up to date.
Bile tried to clone Primarchs, and was more or less successful in at least one case.

The Emperor-Clone was a Dark Eldar plan. But it didn't materialize. Wanted to use it as a sort of power source. (I didn't particularly like that whole story arc, very dodgy.)

Not quite correct, as I read it. Their idea was a literal copy of the Emperor as He functions for the Imperium. That is, they would have made more of a very specialized and mono-focused servitor to operate their own Throne (rather than a battery to power it), in the hopes it would keep the warp tear under Commorragh sealed up.

Trithne

Erudite
What are the psyker powers available? I know that is not an RPG but I'm loving the Darktide. I just din't liked much the gear dependency of the game. And weapons, there is plasma guns, bolters, force swords, Heavy Stubber, chain swords/axes and other crazy stuff in this game?

Can you chose many ammo types for bolters? In lore, there are lots of ammo types : https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Bolter#Bolter_Ammunition_Types

edit : about the tabletop game

As I mentioned, so far there's a chain lightning attack, and I recall some sort of debuff, and personal shield... I haven't touched the Alpha for a while.

If you're expecting psykers to massively stand out from thebrest, don't. I got vastly more use out of Argenta's basic Soldier abilities than any psychic powers. All the classes bring a variety of powers.

All the guns are represented, ammo types are not.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
It's hilarious that chaos worshipers turn to sorcery that is almost guaranteed to fuck over any non-named character (and most of the named ones) when the DIVINE POWER OF THE EMPEROR literally exists.
The miracles of our Lord-on-Terra are not usable for selfish gain, unlike the heretics' powers, but only for the Betterment of Mankind. Herein lies the difference, and the seductive call of heresy.

Reinhardt

Arcane
believe in da emprah, fight for da emprah and miracle will happen!

28748_original.png

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
If you're expecting psykers to massively stand out from thebrest, don't.

Nope. I don't expect it. Wh40k is NOT Netheril, is a high tech setting where "magic" powers are extremely dangerous. Why have a guy using pyromancy psionic powers when a guy with a flame thrower/grenade launcher can do the same without all the risks of the warp? If psyker powers end up a bit weaker or a bit stronger than "tech" but extremely more dangerous(and viable in core difficulty), I would be happy.

As for guns, I don't get why so few games allow multiple ammo selection. UnderRail is almost perfect in this regard, you can even mix different types of rounds in your gun, and there are some special ammo like 9mm acid round, .44 explosive and so on. In Bioshock, each weapon had 3 types of ammo.

And I'm curious about the "soldier abilities".

ArchAngel

Arcane
IIRC Owlcat confirmed pretty early on that one of the background options for the MC is latent psyker. How much this will express itself in combat remains to be seen.
It would be cool if you pick that up and fuck up something during the game, IoM comes for you and sacrifices you to the Emperor as one of his daily 1000 sacrifices :D

ArchAngel

Arcane

-looks at Sororitas, who can manifest miracles by being bitchin' hot babes utterly faithful warrior-nuns.-

Also warrior-nun is such a badass concept, why don't they get more attention/books GW? We are drowning in spess mahrines.
This is like saying why would someone use a gun when they can spend 10 years training to become a world class martial artist..

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

This is like saying why would someone use a gun when they can spend 10 years training to become a world class martial artist..
Can't run out of martial artistry. Can run out of gun.

ArchAngel

Arcane

lets see how you do your martial arts with a broken leg or arm

Reinhardt

Arcane

lets see how you do your martial arts with a broken leg or arm
let's see how you pew-pew without ammo

Trithne

Erudite
And I'm curious about the "soldier abilities".

Back at PC so I can dig up this image from back when I was trying out the Alpha.

image.png

Normally, a character gets to do a maximum of one offensive action a turn. Soldiers have abilities that let them bypass this. In particular, their "Heroic" lets them basically attack as many times as they have AP and the gun allows, and you can combine that with abilities that let you regain AP and take more attacks than the gun would allow. This lets you do things like the above, which is all in a single turn.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've got a few questions, as someone that bounced off of PF:KM completely.

Owlcat_Eyler

1) How do you plan on keeping planet exploration fresh and interesting? Obviously a planet could theoretically have enough content for tens of games, and/or it could also have so little content that it would be a complete waste of time to visit. I take it there are plans to organically draw our characters interest to certain locations on the planet so we can land and explore these locales? How many different types of environments/planets are planned to be included in the game (rough estimate). Will every planet we visit be a major source of content, or will there be some that include more things to do than others?

2) Something that I heard from my admittedly incomplete research into the combat is that many of the abilities are simply passive buffs, and that much of the combat is just shooting and moving. While this isn't necessarily a bad thing, would you mind going into detail on how you plan on differentiating different classes? The main types combat styles that I'd like some info on would be psykers versus melee versus guns. Will there be differentiation within these archetypes? Will a melee user who uses a power sword differ from someone that uses a power axe? What about chain swords, or knives, or spears, or hammers, or the plethora of other melee weapons? The same question towards guns and warp powers.

3) How difficult is the game expected to be? While I did not play either PF:KM or its sequel, I will admit that all the talk about these games' difficulty was very sexy and alluring. Will the game be sufficiently difficult enough to make character building and combat engaging?

4) Can you touch upon the reactivity of the game in regards to companions? I remember reading/hearing that a big part of companion interaction will be based upon managing the interpersonal relationships between our companions who might want to kill each other. How early does this come into play, and do our decisions in dealing with this actually matter? Is there the possibility of getting one of our companions killed of early which leads to consequences in the future, either through missed content or things wrong wrong/right? Will we be able to access all the companions in the game in a single play through? Is it possible for companions to die but for us to continue on with the game?

5) Can you also touch upon the reactivity of the game in regards to its overall narrative? How reactive will the overall narrative of the game be in regards to the decisions that we make?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom