Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

ArchAngel

Arcane
Wait people are actually arguing in favour of serving chaos gods?
Of course, all parts of internet are infested by modern USA liberals pushing The Message.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Owlcat_Eyler , now that MCA is exonerated (we always knew ofc), will you hire him again for some much needed writing help? Either for a Rogue Trader expansion or the next game (hopefully still PF 1E), or is he considered unnecessary (in that case think again)?

IMO OwlCat should adapt another PF1e AP, make a Warhammer fantasy game, adapt a retroclone, anything but not pf2e and 5e.

As for the MCA, progressists believe that any bizarre change is """progress""", hence destroying the individual "blind" justice based on evidences and establishing a thing worse than witch hunt trials(guilty until proven innocent) which considers people guilty even after proving innocent is ""progress"" for them.

--------------

Does anyone has an list of the psyker spells available in this game? I could't find it.
Maybe they should try their hands at creating a Shadowrun cRPG

lightbane

Arcane
bit of healthy (un)friendly competition and a timer to spice it up and put a spin on the grind for good ladder climbers. All of them are volunteers after all, drawn to damnation by their own will and ambition.
Ookay? That's completely unrelated to my points? Also, those in the ladder can and will destroy aspirants to keep the pecking order, so it's not competition and more like free-for-all.

Does it happen in practice, though? Any famous named daemon princes in lore that were destroyed by warp gods or devolved for failure?
Yes? Why would I bring it up otherwise? Using "named characters" is cheating as they're part of the lore and thus immovable unless writers say so.
Examples are mentioned in the wiki, or the Black Crusade pnp game where IIRC it had an example of a Prince that got uppity and was downgraded into mindlessness as a punishment. Losing your reputation score as a Daemon Prince can also result in that kind of game over.

If they care for it among each other, it is also bad prestige for the gods as well. Since that would mean they elevated someone unworthy only to kick them out, error of judgment on their part.
...You're talking about CHAOS, where infighting and retardation are the norm.

Anyone criticizing IoM, check this out to see why it is needed. What kind of horrors await:
He sounds grouchy, although I understand why.

Wait people are actually arguing in favour of serving chaos gods?
That's the strange thing. Techno doesn't seem to understand that working for say Putin is preferable to a literal EVIL DEMONIC GOD!!!

I blame the modern trend of having good guys be as bad as the bad guys (see The Mandalorian Season 3), which makes the difference redundant, or how formerly good guys suddenly have a streak of meanness they didn't have. Marvel and DC had their Dark Age of Edgyness fad in the 90s that nearly destroyed them, but some people didn't learn their lesson.

That's true - ironically enough - which is why people end up serving Chaos Gods regardless: the alternative is so shitty they decide to go "fuck it" and have a shot at power, regardless of how fucked up the end result may be. They also most likely not fully realize what they're getting into. It's not like people get a Warhammer 40,000 manual to read or something.
Unless they become renegades, moment in which they're free targets for all sides.

Technomancer

Liturgist
That's the strange thing. Techno doesn't seem to understand that working for say Putin is preferable to a literal EVIL DEMONIC GOD!!!
I understand, just playing devil's advocate for the sake of argument. And I don't mind evil paths in games or fictional settings at all. Doesn't mean I don't recognize how fucked up some things are.

Ookay? That's completely unrelated to my points? Also, those in the ladder can and will destroy aspirants to keep the pecking order, so it's not competition and more like free-for-all.
Heh, was pretty much my reaction to your second response. Your points didn't really land on me that well because I didn't find it relevant too, I quoted and responded to a very specific thing. At first you mentioned "final reward", and I responded to exactly that and only that, meaning princes specifically, in isolation, avoiding being bogged down in details like the struggle to get there and other lore, but you responded with the external details I tried to avoid and that were not relevant to my original comment where I tried to argue that "soul scull fucking" or some sort of spiritual torment either didn't happen at all and it was more of a warping souls' nature and an act of profane transformation, or was a matter of perspective and it didn't seem like a big deal (or a bad one) for evil batshit insane dudes who were corrupted and perverted enough to be on that path anyway.

If they care for it among each other, it is also bad prestige for the gods as well. Since that would mean they elevated someone unworthy only to kick them out, error of judgment on their part.
...You're talking about CHAOS, where infighting and retardation are the norm.
True that actually, the so called "gods" are manifestation of ugly depraved thoughts and emotions and senseless misery. Error of judgment is a given, they are inherently flawed, made from mistakes and chaotic suffering.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
meaning princes specifically, in isolation, avoiding being bogged down in details like the struggle to get there and other lore,
You can't have that without the struggle, as one cannot become a Daemon Prince without the drama (unless you cheat and try to use magic to ascend, which some Sorcerers do).

or was a matter of perspective and it didn't seem like a big deal (or a bad one) for evil batshit insane dudes who were corrupted and perverted enough to be on that path anyway.
That's fine, but the interesting part is when you have guys that reject the Imperium for one reason or another and can't be just renegades, slowly but surely falling into chaos and their thoughts becoming more and more warped. Or they're jaded nobles that get into some new thing that's waay more intense than what they thought.
In the case of the Rogue Traders, it's likely to be the latter. In the pnp game there was one character class called Secessionist that was one step away from falling into Chaos. Then there was an advanced class in the Black Crusade pnp that was pretty much a Rogue Trader that went full Chaostard.

Technomancer

Liturgist
the interesting part is when you have guys that reject the Imperium for one reason or another and can't be just renegades, slowly but surely falling into chaos and their thoughts becoming more and more warped. Or they're jaded nobles that get into some new thing that's waay more intense than what they thought.
Yeah, naive gits. You cannot use chaos for good. Not if you are aligned with actual powers in any way or form. Damned legion does not serve any god so they can exploit the warp itself as their own independent warp entities for the benefit of humanity.

As for nobles I much prefer Halo devices for that. Clueless immortality craving people thinking it would give them eternal life, probably expecting it to be somehow better than chaos. Only to be basically reshaped by eldritch horrors into inhuman abomination. I wish any 40k game explored that background element in actual story or quest.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Guys, an honest question of WH40k. Can the emperor make a clone of himself and transfer his soul to this clone?

You can make a clone of the Emperor, and I vaguely remember there was some shenanigans involving the dark eldar or Fabius Bile where they tried.

But transferring souls? As far as I know, that's a big grey area the books haven't explored, but I'm not up to date.

Vatnik Wumao
But transferring souls? As far as I know, that's a big grey area the books haven't explored, but I'm not up to date.
Some inquisitors believe that the Emperor would just reembody himself were he to be detached from the Golden Throne and left to die. Issue with that line of reasoning is that even if that could happen, there's a high risk that it would leave a long enough window of time for the Astronomicon to collapse irreparably (sending humanity into a second Age of Strife with no united governance and no means of communication across the vastness of space) and for Terra itself to be overran by daemons and destroyed.

Peachcurl

Arcane
Guys, an honest question of WH40k. Can the emperor make a clone of himself and transfer his soul to this clone?

You can make a clone of the Emperor, and I vaguely remember there was some shenanigans involving the dark eldar or Fabius Bile where they tried.

Bile tried to clone Primarchs, and was more or less successful in at least one case.

The Emperor-Clone was a Dark Eldar plan. But it didn't materialize. Wanted to use it as a sort of power source. (I didn't particularly like that whole story arc, very dodgy.)

Peachcurl

Arcane
Some inquisitors believe that the Emperor would just reembody himself were he to be detached from the Golden Throne and left to die. Issue with that line of reasoning is that even if that could happen, there's a high risk that it would leave a long enough window of time for the Astronomicon to collapse irreparably (sending humanity into a second Age of Strife with no united governance and no means of communication across the vastness of space) and for Terra itself to be overran by daemons and destroyed.
I think the the re-birth would be guaranteed though, no? The emperor being an eternal is kinda canon, not just factional inquisition lore?

Serus

Arcane
Patron
The only perpetual I recognise used to be captain Jack Harkness in the early seasons. However he died - which should have been impossible - after living several billions years, in the end living as a giant face in a jar.
Opss... wrong setting, sorry.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Does anyone has an list of the psyker spells available in this game? I could't find it
I got them, here you go
Psykery-
Roll 1d6
1- your head explodes
2- your ally's head explodes
3- you summon a demon from the warp
4- demon summons you to the warp.
5- random head explodes, somewhere.
6- your spell malfunctions, roll 1d6 again.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I got them, here you go
5- random head explodes, somewhere.

LOL. Even if is less than 1/6 chance of OHKilling an enemy, this already makes your system better than 5e and pf2e. hu3hu3hu3

Jokes aside, I hope that this game will gonna have inquisitor martyr style warp anomalies. And if they include concentration check, failing an concentration check being far nastier than just losing the spell.

Harthwain

Magister
Does anyone has an list of the psyker spells available in this game? I could't find it.
In this game - I don't know.

But here is the list of Sorcery Powers: https://extraheresy.fandom.com/wiki/Sorcery_Powers_List

And here is the list of overall Psychic Powers: https://extraheresy.fandom.com/wiki/Psychic_Powers_List

Jokes aside, I hope that this game will gonna have inquisitor martyr style warp anomalies. And if they include concentration check, failing an concentration check being far nastier than just losing the spell.
Looks like here is the list of effects: https://extraheresy.fandom.com/wiki/Perils_of_the_Warp

No idea how well any of this will translate into the video game though, so keep that in mind.

As for being able to be the psyker yourself - currently there are 4 basic classes (Adept, Fighter, and Leader) and 4 advanced (Strategist, Veteran, Vanguard and Assassin), meaning you will have to make use of companions if you want to use psychic powers. Unless siding with Chaos will allow you to use sorcery, which could be a way to tempt some players to join Chaos...

notpl

Arbiter
IIRC Owlcat confirmed pretty early on that one of the background options for the MC is latent psyker. How much this will express itself in combat remains to be seen.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
LOL. Even if is less than 1/6 chance of OHKilling an enemy
that's not how math works...
Assuming you fight alone and the chances of every head in range are identical and this has a maximum range in the first place and there are no one else in the vicinity and you are very badly outnumbered then it would be even higher than 1/6 because 6 can lead to 5 or another 6.

:smug:

(Autistic) nerd mode off.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Assuming you fight alone and the chances of every head in range are identical and this has a maximum range in the first place and there are no one else in the vicinity and you are very badly outnumbered then it would be even higher than 1/6 because 6 can lead to 5 or another 6.

I guess, but if you want to go down that hole, you're basically looking at an over 50% chance of killing yourself and somewhere between 17% and 33% chance of killing a party member.

Reinhardt

Arcane

I guess, but if you want to go down that hole, you're basically looking at an over 50% chance of killing yourself and somewhere between 17% and 33% chance of killing a party member.
and all because you tried to grab your cup with telekinesis

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom