Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

samoilaaa

Educated
there is no way owlcat can make a proper 40k games , the universe has no mercy for blue haired people , they will ruin it by adding homosexual and trans companions

Joyvankek

Learned
there is no way owlcat can make a proper 40k games , the universe has no mercy for blue haired people , they will ruin it by adding homosexual and trans companions
Warhammer is an universe where we actually do have place for deviants like that.
Slaanesh and it's cults. So "inclusion" is not a problem. But the alphbaets don't want that kind of company.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
there is no way owlcat can make a proper 40k games , the universe has no mercy for blue haired people
Oh please, the lore includes multiple successfull Champions of Slaanesh.
hey will ruin it by adding homosexual and trans companions
I agree that mutliple Slaaneshi companions would seem out of place.

Harthwain

Magister
I can understand the appeal of chaos for an worker working in a "hive world", for a psyker which would be persecuted and/or scarified to the emperor and has almost no chance to be sanctioned, but what chaos could offer to a Rogue Trader?
I can see two ways. One is mechanical, the other is narrative-driven.

1) Give powerful abilities and massive boosts to relevants stats.

2) Give the player the ability to do major shifts story-wise you'd otherwise didn't have access to. This is way you will also avoid turning Chaos into a cosmetic choice.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Fall and temptation of Chaos is the most interesting narrative element of 40k outside of the Ork.

If you play any human there should always be temptation and risk, and bad endings for Chaos stuff to make it interesting.

I would suggest making cult of Gork and Mork instead as well.

skaraher

Prophet
Fall and temptation of Chaos is the most interesting narrative element of 40k outside of the Ork.

If you play any human there should always be temptation and risk, and bad endings for Chaos stuff to make it interesting.

I would suggest making cult of Gork and Mork instead as well.
Yeah, that's why Eisenhorn saga still is the most popular book series from the franchise.

lightbane

Arcane
In Root 40k CYOA, there was a turning point where the story enters a flashback of the Emperor coming to life and the choice given to vote was his wish for Humanity future (which was an hidden faction choice for the CYOA last act)

Everyone voted massively for something like "I fight for the right for humans to be free and make their own choice etc"

It was the Chaos ending. :smug:
Note for the devs that said CYOA was terrible at conveying info, many choices were made with little info, or with outcomes that were not even hinted at all (like the one above). Something quite common with Codex's quests. Shame Root disappeared and deleted everything for reasons I no longer remember.

Devour Soul
This one was a straightforward bad choice, that sheeple here voted non-stop for some reason. It also escalated waaaay too fast IIRC.

Humbaba

Arcane
Are you actually this stupid? Not even considering the fact that Imperium rule is hardly distinguishable from Chaos' rule on most worlds, being less evil than something else doesn't make it "good". Holy shit, this is like philosophy 101 first day.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Are you actually this stupid? Not even considering the fact that Imperium rule is hardly distinguishable from Chaos' rule on most worlds, being less evil than something else doesn't make it "good". Holy shit, this is like philosophy 101 first day.

You neatly ignored what I said about having a limited range of options, which is unfortunately a factor in reality and fiction alike.

> ignoring basic facts of reality
> black and white outlook on life

yes, you are definitely a liberal

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
In Root 40k CYOA, there was a turning point where the story enters a flashback of the Emperor coming to life and the choice given to vote was his wish for Humanity future (which was an hidden faction choice for the CYOA last act)

Everyone voted massively for something like "I fight for the right for humans to be free and make their own choice etc"

It was the Chaos ending. :smug:
Note for the devs that said CYOA was terrible at conveying info, many choices were made with little info, or with outcomes that were not even hinted at all (like the one above). Something quite common with Codex's quests. Shame Root disappeared and deleted everything for reasons I no longer remember.
As previously mentioned, Nevill archived it and many other root LPs in a thread in the Playground :salute:

Devour Soul
This one was a straightforward bad choice, that sheeple here voted non-stop for some reason. It also escalated waaaay too fast IIRC.
Guilty as charged :despair:

lightbane

Arcane
As previously mentioned, @Nevill archived it and many other root LPs in a thread in the Playground
Oh, I forgot that one. True, but it doesn't tell you which votes won. Also, giving it a quick look, root did truly out-edge WH40k by making ALL options bad or worse. Still though, there times where it's not clear what are you voting for.

That was my advice for the devs: Make choices clear rather than obscure. Obvious, but still good to remind.

Guilty as charged
TBF, the voters were terrible. I'm not sure why, but the voters in most RPGC's quests are almost as bad as Suff. Vel.'s ones, and these guys are full blown commies with "they/Them/it" pronouns and celebrating non-Christian holidays.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom