Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
e ONE difficulty setting and just unite your community under one banner?

That would be AWFUL. Just imagine a game journalist who can't understand that bombs, torches and AoE spells are better than a sword to "kill" an insect swarm and the tryhard 1337 min maxer with his pun pun build.

Not having difficulty settings works fine for games like Dark/Demon souls but would't work here.

I would say that even the most competent and talented devs usually only have "one" difficulty. Most of the time they "balance" around the hardest difficulty and just remove difficult elements from easier modes.

At least, this is my perception from a dev standpoint. Maybe other devs do it different.

skaraher

Prophet
Eh DOW2 CR did it fine by simply making the ending being "You fell to ruinous power and now are leading their force" if you max Corruption.

That being said there should be a lot of pitfalls from trying to foolishly joining Chaos as the 4 Chaos Gods can FUBAR any of their followers on a whim.

Granted Owlcat interview that they intentionally reduce C&C from Wrath regarding how PC treat Laniel give me not much hope that there will be hard narrative fail state in RT.
If you didnt went max corruption but were corrupted enough to be iredeemable, Angelos executes you for treason. :smug:

Harthwain

Magister
Okay, since you're consistently answering questions: One of the issues I've had with your past titles was the myriad of difficulty settings, and so my question would be, if you've finally matured enough as a studio to have ONE difficulty setting and just unite your community under one banner?

Because it's really getting frustrating starting conversations and the immediate follow-up question always being: "what setting are you playing under"?
It's already visible in the demo that there are more than one difficulty settings (normal and core).

Joyvankek

Learned
chaosfags

The God emperor of mankind which you worships is not only a psyker but the strongest psyker ever.

As for chaos, I hope that they will gonna make chaos nasty and risk for everyone, including the rogue trader PC. Mainly Tzeentch, Tzeentch followers should have the worst ending possible in any CRPG.
You should have options to benefit or lose based on your choices, after you decide with whom you will ally yourself.
The whole appeal of chaos for you average imperial serf is a chance for better future, some power or change. That you know about from whispers in your head, some evil book or any other medium chaos can use to contact you. Which usually looks evil as fuck and only someone desperate, insane or power hungry enough would risk it. The worst part is, they have slim chance of achieve something in chaos ranks, which would be impossible for them in IoM. So insane risk and reward kind of deal.
If you will erase that ambiguity you will create bullshit duality like you have in most modern cults "Be a drone and do all the crap from this book here, and you will go to heaven! Or join evil and then no matter how good you will do in there, how useful you are, you will end up in hell getting buttfucked by demons".
At that point you have Star Wars morality of pure good vs pure evil, where the good guys always win and get all the nice stuff and vice versa. Not grim darkness of 40K, where even if you was as a good, dutiful guardsmen you will end up seeing some BDSM loving chaos cultist wearing skin of your best friend as a coat, then if by some miracle you will manage to survive this whole ordeal. You'll still get summary execution for knowing too much as your reward.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The whole appeal of chaos for you average imperial serf is a chance for better future, some power or change

Yep. I can understand the appeal of chaos for an worker working in a "hive world", for a psyker which would be persecuted and/or scarified to the emperor and has almost no chance to be sanctioned, but what chaos could offer to a Rogue Trader? If this game where like Darktide which you play as a mere convict in a penal battalion, I could understand.

Reinhardt

Arcane
reminds me twitter threads "what i will be doing under communismchaos". correct answer: "shut up and dig that fucking hole!"

Joyvankek

Learned
The whole appeal of chaos for you average imperial serf is a chance for better future, some power or change

Yep. I can understand the appeal of chaos for an worker working in a "hive world", for a psyker which would be persecuted and/or scarified to the emperor and has almost no chance to be sanctioned, but what chaos could offer to a Rogue Trader? If this game where like Darktide which you play as a mere convict in a penal battalion, I could understand.
There would need to be a very good bait, some chaos agent would need to tempt or manipulate RT and do a damn good job at it. Joining chaos just because, would be stupidity considering how much power, wealth and authority RT holds in Imperium.
What I saw in Alpha was not a very good way to put you on that path.

reminds me twitter threads "what i will be doing under communismchaos". correct answer: "shut up and dig that fucking hole!"
So little change for any menial form a hive world. Hardly anything to lose at that point eh? So even glimmer of hope for something better could be worth a shot.

Vatnik Wumao
I can understand the appeal of chaos for an worker working in a "hive world", for a psyker which would be persecuted and/or scarified to the emperor and has almost no chance to be sanctioned, but what chaos could offer to a Rogue Trader?
Knowledge (Tzeentch), power (Khorne in the brute force sort of way, but also Tzeentch in the case of a schemer), pleasure (Slaanesh) or relief (Nurgle, in the case of an untreatable illness or what have you). Not the smartest choice to become a slave to the ruinous powers for such boons, but people have fucked themselves over for far less.

Peachcurl

Arcane
e ONE difficulty setting and just unite your community under one banner?

That would be AWFUL. Just imagine a game journalist who can't understand that bombs, torches and AoE spells are better than a sword to "kill" an insect swarm and the tryhard 1337 min maxer with his pun pun build.

Not having difficulty settings works fine for games like Dark/Demon souls but would't work here.

I would say that even the most competent and talented devs usually only have "one" difficulty. Most of the time they "balance" around the hardest difficulty and just remove difficult elements from easier modes.

At least, this is my perception from a dev standpoint. Maybe other devs do it different.
Would be interesting if this was the general approach. Because a frequent assumption of players that you will hear is that "normal" difficulty is how "it's meant to be played" by the devs.

And I think in some instances this is true, especially in those games where higher than normal difficulty simply scale up the HP bloat and enemy damage.

Reinhardt

Arcane

Joyvankek

Learned
No you just become a servitor instead.
Well, it's better to be food in that case.
Also when joining chaos, you also have higher chance of demonic possession, so fate just as shitty if not worse than being turned into servitor.

Sykar

Arcane
They are all shitty fates and it is hard to determine which is worse which is the point. The current IoM are just as bad as all the other factions. In some ways they are worse considering how easily they can betray and slaughter each other while pretending they are oh so "virtuous".

lightbane

Arcane
Chaos is worse as your "final reward" for joining the bad guys is your soul to be skull-fucked for all eternity, something that doesn't happen if you're with the Imperium no matter how bad it gets (unless say you're captured by the Dark Eldar, but that's bad luck if it happens).

Last edited:

skaraher

Prophet
Chaos in the 40k-RPG verse has its advantages. It was largely covered in Black Crusade and Radical Handbook books. You get power, freedom to be your own individual outside the boundaries of an oppressive Imperium. Might makes right, the strong rule the weak, and immortality awaits those who survive the long road of a Chaos worshipper. You're also a slave to darker powers that will use you and discard you if you don't betray your way up to the top of the food chain. It's a dangerous road and many are those who are broken trying to climb up the ladder, but it does bring its advantages. If not, nobody would turn traitor.

Last edited:

skaraher

Prophet
In Root 40k CYOA, there was a turning point where the story enters a flashback of the Emperor coming to life and the choice given to vote was his wish for Humanity future (which was an hidden faction choice for the CYOA last act)

Everyone voted massively for something like "I fight for the right for humans to be free and make their own choice etc"

It was the Chaos ending. :smug:

Reinhardt

Arcane
In Root 40k CYOA, there was a turning point where the story enters a flashback of the Emperor coming to life and the choice given to vote was his wish for Humanity future (which was an hidden faction choice for the CYOA last act)

Everyone voted massively for something like "I fight for the right for humans to be free and make their own choice etc"

that's why children are not allowed to vote - they are dumb.

Joyvankek

Learned

Looking at state of modern democracy I would argue that vast majority, not just children, are fucking retarded.
It's also to whom dumbfucks from pedowood cater, that's why majority of movie adaptations are awful.
I dread what abomination that Amazon's W40K adaptation will be.
:negative:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Devour Soul

:negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom